Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the swerve looks more subtle on camera but you can clearly see the deviation from his original line. thoughts? worth the hassle?
    I think his line doesn't move much given the line on the road that his left wheels are following.
    Still far too close to you though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I think his line doesn't move much given the line on the road that his left wheels are following.
    Still far too close to you though

I think the problem (from a video point of view) is that I twitched and swerved in slightly at the same time that he did. he's driving on the line in the tarmac for a few seconds and then all of a sudden he's well inside it. the first time he passed me I could hear him gunning the engine as he approached - again it doesn't really come across on the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Might be no harm in giving the company a call;

https://www.hanlonroofing.ie/

If it's a small company, the owner may have been in the van but if its a large company they may not be impressed at the antics of their operators while driving company liveried vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think the problem (from a video point of view) is that I twitched and swerved in slightly at the same time that he did. he's driving on the line in the tarmac for a few seconds and then all of a sudden he's well inside it. the first time he passed me I could hear him gunning the engine as he approached - again it doesn't really come across on the video.
    If you could reach the van, he was way too close - definitely worth reporting to the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

If you could reach the van, he was way too close - definitely worth reporting to the employer.

yeah I could well reach it and even tested on the way home how far beyond the end of the handlebars my fully outstretched arm would be - I reckoned less than 0.5m and my arm wasn't fully straight when I hit the van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Definitely worth doing. It worked for me about 2 months ago, can't remember the post number but it's here. And it'd be an awful thing if it accidentally ended up on Twitter or some such thing. Not that I'm suggesting any form of negative publicity mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It does look like he closes in on you when stopping and again when passing the second time. Probably shouldn't be stopping in the middle of the road to try obstruct traffic either.

Typical van driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Will the AGS do anything if I complain a driver for close passing? Both yesterday morning and evening, and this morning, what i believe to be the same car close passed, even though there was plenty of room on the otherside of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I was driving to work in Galway this morning and saw a cyclist on the cycle lane of the Quincentenary Bridge get left-hooked by a car cutting left across multiple lanes of traffic to take a left turn. The cyclist did very well to stay on the saddle. The car continued but got stopped at the lights 20m later. The cyclists managed to get over to the car, don't know what their reaction was but don't think they even opened the window and didn't get out of the car.

If the cyclist is on here or anyone knows them, I've noted the car's registration and will make a statement etc. if needed. I was at a pinch-point for commuter traffic with nowhere to pull in, the cyclist was on their feet and gave them a shout to check they were alright, so I didn't stop... but regret not quickly exchanging details at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

J o e wrote: »
    I was driving to work in Galway this morning and saw a cyclist on the cycle lane of the Quincentenary Bridge get left-hooked by a car cutting left across multiple lanes of traffic to take a left turn. The cyclist did very well to stay on the saddle. The car continued but got stopped at the lights 20m later. The cyclists managed to get over to the car, don't know what their reaction was but don't think they even opened the window and didn't get out of the car.

If the cyclist is on here or anyone knows them, I've noted the car's registration and will make a statement etc. if needed. I was at a pinch-point for commuter traffic with nowhere to pull in, the cyclist was on their feet and gave them a shout to check they were alright, so I didn't stop... but regret not quickly exchanging details at least.

Might be no harm to give Millstreet a shout and tell them that you saw it.

Millstreets number: (091) 538 000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

I am pretty sure it was dangerous manouvre, unfortunately the video does not highlight it. So I don't think it is worth the hassle, imho. It happens often with many of my videos as well, looks like nothing happened, as a matter of fact it was scary and dangerous.

I was editing a video of a bus driver today coming at speed, overtaking me, and stopping immediately after passing me on the left.
    I could hear the bus coming at speed *you all know what I mean), I could hear the deceleration while the bus is overtaking, i felt the air pushing me on the left, I felt he was going to stop and was confirmed by people moving arms on the pavement - had nerves to brake and avoid potential very dangerous situation; while looking at the edited video from my gopro it looks (almost) like a normal overtake. :mad::mad::mad:
    I mean, if I imagine how a motorist / garda / dublin bus responsible would watch the video, I imagine they wouldn't even notice what's going on there...

I am still convinced we should force us all to cycle in the city center at rush hours for a month or two before getting a driving license, as an additional test let's say... that would work wonderfully! The only way people can understand what is going on when they overtake a bike at 60km/h.

Was cycling on Clontarf cycle path tonight, had a few close encounters of the third type with fellow cyclists...
    few of them talking side by side not giving a s... of me coming in the opposite directions, few others not managing to keep straight lane with the side wind and rain. One also checking his bike computer (or phone) for a few seconds coming straight at me, needed to shout.
    The worse: had to jump on the pavement (yes, there's a 20 cm jump from cycling path to pavement...) skidding with my left cleat for a few meters, my poor bike went down after an elderly man on the bike swerved right distracted I don't know by what, exactly while I was approaching! He stated he couldn't see me, the rain on his glasses... :(
    I couldn't get mad at him basically, but I asked him at least if he could try to keep the left lane next time!

Note: I am nowadays going around with 2 red lezine lights 400 lumens on the back, one front 400 lumens, and the super huge 1200 lumens one at the front as well. Was in orange jacket too... I don't really know how I can do more than this to be more visible.

queldy wrote: »
    ...a super huge 1200 lumens one at the front as well....
    That might be the root of your problem. I'm pretty sure 1200 lumen lights are designed for off road use only. You may be dazzling oncoming cyclists/pedestrians/motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Was cycling on Clontarf cycle path tonight, had a few close encounters of the third type with fellow cyclists...
    few of them talking side by side not giving a s... of me coming in the opposite directions, few others not managing to keep straight lane with the side wind and rain. One also checking his bike computer (or phone) for a few seconds coming straight at me, needed to shout.
    The worse: had to jump on the pavement (yes, there's a 20 cm jump from cycling path to pavement...) skidding with my left cleat for a few meters, my poor bike went down after an elderly man on the bike swerved right distracted I don't know by what, exactly while I was approaching! He stated he couldn't see me, the rain on his glasses... :(
    I couldn't get mad at him basically, but I asked him at least if he could try to keep the left lane next time!

Note: I am nowadays going around with 2 red lezine lights 400 lumens on the back, one front 400 lumens, and the super huge 1200 lumens one at the front as well. Was in orange jacket too... I don't really know how I can do more than this to be more visible.

Were you heading towards town or Howth?

At evening time heading Howth direction, in the rain, you are dazzled by car headlights. Its very difficult to see, especially if you wear glasses, as I do. Add into that a couple of choice sunken manhole covers in the cycle lane and a rough stone wall, you can see why some people stay out from the wall.

On the other hand some are just plain ignorant. Its the 'runners' running in the cycle lane that get me, totally selfish people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That might be the root of your problem. I'm pretty sure 1200 lumen lights are designed for off road use only. You may be dazzling oncoming cyclists/pedestrians/motorists.

This. 1200 lumens is way too much for somewhere like there and is very easy to "blind someone", all the more so if they're already distracted. If it has a lower setting, go with that.

Sorry, I was emphasizing the paradox of "being very well lighted" and his "I did not see you" sentence [an hyperbole*, if you want]
    Do you mean that he did not see me as a body but he still rode into the dazzling light (which for sure he saw assuming he was dazzled)?

As regarding your clarification about the off road, I only use 1200 in dark areas and not with incoming cyclists/cars; I think though, it is not forbidden to use those on the road as well (considering also that car beams can output much more than that).

*quoting from wikipedia:
    Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. In rhetoric, it is also sometimes known as auxesis (literally 'growth'). In poetry and oratory, it emphasizes, evokes strong feelings, and creates strong impressions. As a figure of speech, it is usually not meant to be taken literally.

Ferris wrote: »
    Were you heading towards town or Howth?

At evening time heading Howth direction, in the rain, you are dazzled by car headlights. Its very difficult to see, especially if you wear glasses, as I do. Add into that a couple of choice sunken manhole covers in the cycle lane and a rough stone wall, you can see why some people stay out from the wall.

On the other hand some are just plain ignorant. Its the 'runners' running in the cycle lane that get me, totally selfish people.

I agree on runners and walkers (the ones with dogs the most dangerous).
    I was heading toward town.
    The poor man apologized and I have nothing against him, all fine. Just suggested to keep left, as we are all a bit confused by rain/cars/wind/fatigue etc.
    Just got down the bike and this is never nice, I still feel the pain on my teeth so hard I closed my jaw...

:D

.... I only use 1200 in dark areas and not with incoming cyclists/cars; I think though, it is not forbidden to use those on the road as well (considering also that car beams can output much more than that)........
    Why did you mention it if you don't use it? :confused:

Car headlight design and construction are heavily regulated and produce a diffused sort of light which doesn't dazzle other road users.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On the note of lights and dazzling other road users, even full beams on a car are actually OK to deal with visibly, if you can focus and look past them which is difficult but not impossible. I seen this on a study about seeing objects past a car that had its Hi Beams on, pretty sure it was assessing Hi Vis and dips but the results stood out to me.

On the same note I seen a guy coming through UCD on my way home yesterday with his techno flashing light, at a high enough rate to cause epilepsy, pointed nicely above the horizontal, just to make sure he blinded you. I did stop because it was too dazzling, and covered my eyes but interestingly, i don't think he realised why I was doing it or the hordes of pedestrians who looked temporarily in a stupour / like extras for the next George A Romero movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Theres a whole thread on the clontarf cycle way.

Common theme is that its a shared use path, so commuters, kids, old folks, groups, time triallers, etc etc.

The one thing that annoys everyone is lack of courtesy.

The racer who wont slow down
    The group who wont thin out
    The oncomer holding the line fording you onto the stairs / bushes / grass / drain cover / lamp post / etc
    People taking the racing line at any bend
    And on and on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

couple of near right hooks this morning, not too close thankfully.
    nearing the top of newtownpark avenue, as i was just coming up behind a car (in a queue of cars), i had a 'why has he gone into reverse?' moment, and then had to slam on as i realised he was reversing to make space for a car coming the opposite direction and turning right across in front of us.
    and a fairly standard scenario coming past the entrance to the leopardstown racecourse - queued traffic heading into sandyford, and a woman decided to make use of it and pull through a gap in the queue. it's one of the most common spots for this stunt that i know of, so i was half expecting it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you've had a near miss or crash at the Seville Place/Guild Street Junction please get in touch with Neil Fox.

DlwvoVo.jpg

https://twitter.com/NeilGerardFox/status/1073197499291238400

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

The Lights in Dublin Zoo has added a real element of excitement to my commute home. I understand that at nighttime in the park people may walk in the brighter cycle lane on the way to the zoo. But there is zero consideration shown. People walking 4 abreast unwilling to even take a side step to let the bike pass and getting out of their car and not looking as they step into the cycle lane.

Secondly taxis dropping people off are a nightmare. I was run off the road as a taxi pulled into the cycle lane just after the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

people walking there is a major design / engineering issue and not really the fault of people who maybe use it once a year max.

there are no signs, virtually no indication that its a cycle path when people get out of their cars, and no alternative path, unless you walk under the fence, through the long grass and down the ditch.

for example, if you parked where the van is, you would automatically think that piece of grey tarmac is a footpath. its just stupid design and not fair on elderly and kids who would be going to the zoo

0qwsH6kl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Miles of room for a proper cycle lane next to the road on Chesterfield Ave. Why the park is ever allowed to be a major traffic artery I'll never know. It should be closed to through traffic altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

benjamin d wrote: »
    Miles of room for a proper cycle lane next to the road on Chesterfield Ave. Why the park is ever allowed to be a major traffic artery I'll never know. It should be closed to through traffic altogether

And some will think it a missed opportunity not to put a spur off the m50 right down the middle of it.

It’s a pity that parking and storage of private vehicles in the hard shoulder takes proportional over what could be an excellent cycling artery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

[Rant incoming] I don't miss commuting through Phoenix Park. Between people cycling on the wrong side of the bike lane and the pedestrians walking from their cars completely oblivious to the fact they're walking into the path if a cyclist with their back turned to them and people letting their kids run around without looking...

It is poor design but to be fair there's giant no pedestrian signs painted on the path at regular intervals. It doesn't help anytime there's an event on like Africa day they close the bike lane, presumably because it's used as a path. It also doesn't help there's a fence to get to the path. At the same time though, it's usually busy with cyclists so you should be somewhat aware.

Then again Dublin Zoo doesn't actually have a car park so what do we expect? Plenty of land but in typical Dublin fashion we won't build a car park for it! Probably due to all this "get the bus, family day out" nonsense.

I do miss cycling to work at 5:30am and having to stop for 20-30 deer in the bike lane though. That was always a nice moment.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

DaveyDave wrote: »
    It doesn't help anytime there's an event on like Africa day they close the bike lane, presumably because it's used as a path.
    I recall cycling in the park a few years back and finding that the cycle paths were closed.
    The event being held there? It was the finale of National Cycling Week! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Then again Dublin Zoo doesn't actually have a car park so what do we expect? Plenty of land but in typical Dublin fashion we won't build a car park for it! Probably due to all this "get the bus, family day out" nonsense.

Close the parking and they will have to get the bus, simples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There is a carpark for the zoo. However due to it's popularity it'll always overflow on a busy weekend, plus you have the laziness element to it with people not wanting to walk the little bit further. Having said that I manage to find a space in it more often than not.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Close the parking and they will have to get the bus, simples

It would be if it was easier for those living on the Dublin 15 side, who are less well served by public transport to the zoo side than those elsewhere in the city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement