Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DaveyDave wrote: »
    ... but in typical Dublin fashion we won't build a car park for it! ....
    The 'typical Dublin fashion' is to accommodate users of private motor vehicles when the opposite should be the case.

Would it not make sense to swap the cycle lane and pedestrian path?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

red_ken wrote: »
    Would it not make sense to swap the cycle lane and pedestrian path?

It would, but things don't make sense in Dublin. Especially not when it comes to cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

CramCycle wrote: »
    Close the parking and they will have to get the bus, simples

That's grand if you're traveling from somewhere in the city to the zoo, but try traveling withsmall kids on the bus if you're coming from another county.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cletus wrote: »
    That's grand if you're traveling from somewhere in the city to the zoo, but try traveling withsmall kids on the bus if you're coming from another county.
    It's about 10-15 minutes walk from Hueston station, on the red Luas line.

• Advertisement

Nice lady in BMW in wrong lane nearly takes out cyclist while undertaking;

https://streamable.com/me4aw

He might need a different kind of undertaker if she keeps that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Holy ****, that was insane that they kept going to squeeze thru.

On the other hand, the RSA will be happy to see everyone sharing the road so closely at Christmas

site_owner wrote: »
    Holy ****, that was insane that they kept going to squeeze thru.

On the other hand, the RSA will be happy to see everyone sharing the road so closely at Christmas
    She blamed the cyclist for being in the wrong lane when I caught up with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So she deliberately risked someones life as a punishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

What a ****ing attitude to have about VRUs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Karma is a bitch sometimes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Is that Macken street?

See similar there nearly every time I use that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

amcalester wrote: »
    Is that Macken street?

See similar there nearly every time I use that road.

There is an easy solution to the problem there and that is to extend the footpath out so there is only one lane to cross to on the far side. Possibly even better would be to have a pedestrian island separated from the footpath by a short section of bike track.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's about 10-15 minutes walk from Hueston station, on the red Luas line.

It's easier to get to from parts outside Dublin then some places in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

twinsen wrote: »

one of those videos where everyone's a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    one of those videos where everyone's a prick.
    Also one of those videos where a person driving a motorised vehicle is breaking the law and endangering the lives of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

DaveyDave wrote: »
    It would, but things don't make sense in Dublin. Especially not when it comes to cycling.

This has come up lots of times here. It wouldn't make sense to swap them. You'd have kids and dogs walking between a lane of cyclists and a road, instead of having a big massive open space beside them. It would be both dangerous and illogical.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hurrache wrote: »
    This has come up lots of times here. It wouldn't make sense to swap them. You'd have kids and dogs walking between a lane of cyclists and a road, instead of having a big massive open space beside them. It would be both dangerous and illogical.

It would make more sense just to have the bike path on the road and get rid of the parking spaces where there is not room for both, make both paths pedestrian.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cletus wrote: »

Many BE services, IR services, DB services and LUAS services stop within a 15 minute walk from the zoo, many even closer. There are Car Parks within Phoenix Park as well. Not saying it is the best solution but the truth of the matter is that the number of car park spaces on the road there really is not making a huge dent in Zoo visitors or Park visitors and unless there is a push to get people to use other services they simply won't. Simply be, remove the parking spaces and people will work around it, PT may improve with less private traffic etc.

An electric bus from Heuston upto the Zoo, running up and down all day long would solve alot of issues and be cheap enough to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Bear in mind too that not all of those who park on Chesterfield Ave are visiting the zoo. I had to do jury duty last year and parked there. Quite a few drivers were parking and walking down to the park entrance and getting the Luas or DB from there. One morning a guy parked behind me and took a fold up bike out of the boot , and away he went.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

An electric bus from Heuston upto the Zoo, running up and down all day long would solve alot of issues and be cheap enough to run.

They run a free bus during Bloom. It works very well, except for the quite literally thousands of cars that cause endless delays and turn what should be a 3 minute trip into a 30 minute trip.

The park should be a free amenity to all, but it shouldn't be a free car park. It's a complete waste of valuable public space and completely ruins the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

rushfan wrote: »
    Bear in mind too that not all of those who park on Chesterfield Ave are visiting the zoo. I had to do jury duty last year and parked there. Quite a few drivers were parking and walking down to the park entrance and getting the Luas or DB from there. One morning a guy parked behind me and took a fold up bike out of the boot , and away he went.

yep I know a guy who did that, drove in from Cavan, parked there, took out the fold-up and cycled into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

rushfan wrote: »

I commute through the Phoenix Park twice daily and notice a lot of people using Chesterfield Avenue as a free park and cycle with bikes on racks and in the boot. In the summer months you get even more people parking up and walking down to the luas station so it’s not just the driver+cyclists to blame for clogging up the place. See the same cars and SUVs parked in similar spots each day and could tell within a few days when one commuter changed his vehicle it’s that obvious. People also use White’s Road leading down to Farmleigh as a park and ride and commute by bike from there.
    Phoenix Park is a great amenity and there’s a nice old programme on it here by Eamonn Mac Thomáis.

However I’d like to see all parking removed from Chesterfield Avenue and ideally the through way from Park Gate St to Castleknock restricted like they do on Sundays, that would curtail a lot of unnecessary traffic and make it a more pleasant outdoor facility.
    Have had a few scares especially at the first roundabout at the Castleknock end of the park with drivers not yielding and bombing straight through the junction in the mornings.

It would make more sense just to have the bike path on the road and get rid of the parking spaces where there is not room for both, make both paths pedestrian.

Yes, that's the ideal solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Always keep well to the right at this junction and always look over your left shoulder when you get a green light. I once saw someone "push" someone off a DB at this spot (slow speed) and then proceeded to drive over the rear wheel of the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

homer911 wrote: »
    Always keep well to the right at this junction and always look over your left shoulder when you get a green light. I once saw someone "push" someone off a DB at this spot (slow speed) and then proceeded to drive over the rear wheel of the bike!

Absolute ****show of a junction, ride through it daily. Left lane gets arrow first, but there’s always someone chancing their arm going straight. Then if anyone in right lane is turning, you’ve a load of people overtaking on left to go straight. Add in all the people breaking the red from pearse st to macken street and I’m surprised there haven’t been more serious accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Weepsie wrote: »
    They run a free bus during Bloom. It works very well, except for the quite literally thousands of cars that cause endless delays and turn what should be a 3 minute trip into a 30 minute trip.

The park should be a free amenity to all, but it shouldn't be a free car park. It's a complete waste of valuable public space and completely ruins the place.

Its a gem of a park. What would be great to see is some of the running trails to be made official and have room for bikes on them too.

Genuine question, why do we need to make any of the trails official, and for what benefit?

All that will happen is that you'll have people tutting and standing in your way if they see you run anywhere else than these 'official running trails'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hurrache wrote: »
    Genuine question, why do we need to make any of the trails official, and for what benefit?

All that will happen is that you'll have people tutting and standing in your way if they see you run anywhere else than these 'official running trails'.

Its what they do in most parks around the world. So people that are in Ireland for a visit would get the chance to run these beautiful trails or cycle.

• Advertisement

But they can run them now as they are? I don't get what the official bit refers to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement