Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The only thing a flashing indicator tells others is that the bulb works!

True, roundabouts are a great example of this. With people indicating left going on, even though they are going right. As you say, indicators are an indication, not a statement of fact and should never be taken as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There are people deliberately not indicating on roundabouts with the sole intention of pissing other people off. There was even a poster on here boasting about the joy he gets when he looks into the face of the other motorist when he swings left at a roundabout without indicating. The levels of stress are high enough on the roads but now you have people deliberately going out of their way to increase it even further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

CramCycle wrote: »
    True, roundabouts are a great example of this. With people indicating left going on, even though they are going right. As you say, indicators are an indication, not a statement of fact and should never be taken as such.

Or people zooming into aroundabouts when you've already moved into it and they left hook you by taking the first exit. No sign of an indicator in a lot of these instances either.

I was going through this junction this morning in the right lane. It's dodgy at the best of times because there's you've to cycle over two sets of luas tracks.

Anyways, this morning, as i was going over the tracks, a taxi in the left lane comes from behind and barges into my lane because he didnt want to dirty his lovely white taxi in a massive puddle that always forms there when it's raining.

Absolute dickbag, he had to have seen me because i was ahead of him at the junction. I'd a bit of a speed wobble because i was inbetween two very wet luas tracks. I'm always shaggin' nervous going through there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    There are people deliberately not indicating on roundabouts with the sole intention of pissing other people off. There was even a poster on here boasting about the joy he gets when he looks into the face of the other motorist when he swings left at a roundabout without indicating. The levels of stress are high enough on the roads but now you have people deliberately going out of their way to increase it even further.

I always look at what way their wheels are pointing, much better indicator than an indicator

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I have gotten into the habit of letting people know their indicator isn't working :pac:

Why bother indicating if your only going to do it as you turn. You indicate before the turn.

I know what you mean, a guy drove completely around the roundabout this morning not indicating, so I flashed him a few times, but he never indicated when turning right and left later!!!!:mad:

• Advertisement

Never commuting again without my rear camera. Coming to the turn for Deansgrange today, I take the bus lane for about 100m. Cars have a habit of hook turning so if you take the lane it saves the confusion and is actually quicker and safer for all involved. Lights were red so started to slow when I hear something approaching from behind. 133 bus speeding up. I can't slow because I am under his wheels, if I do. I can't keep going as I'll be out in front of crossing traffic. Managed to swing left and skid stop into the barrier and hold so he would struggle to crush me. I asked what he was at, why was he trying to hit me? He laughed, and said, no I wasn't, I swear he winked. His bumper felt like it was at my rear wheel, it's been awhile since I have been that scared, I really thought I was gone.

Had a friend to visit later that evening so didn't fancy explaining to the Garda why I pulled the stop engine but damn it I wish I had but that's hardly fair on the passengers trying to get home.

Let's see how this GDPR request thing goes. I do this every day. I turn and wave to bus drivers all the time to say thanks (even though I have not delayed them). All of them wave back, or smile or give a thumbs up. I am ****ing shook.

Twice now, over 20years commuting in Dublin, where someone has knowingly tried to intimidate me to death. Both were driving the 133. Both on the N11. Both when traffic was light and both were not delayed by me. I am actually shaking with rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Never commuting again without my rear camera. Coming to the turn for Deansgrange today, I take the bus lane for about 100m. Cars have a habit of hook turning so if you take the lane it saves the confusion and is actually quicker and safer for all involved. Lights were red so started to slow when I hear something approaching from behind. 133 bus speeding up. I can't slow because I am under his wheels, if I do. I can't keep going as I'll be out in front of crossing traffic. Managed to swing left and skid stop into the barrier and hold so he would struggle to crush me. I asked what he was at, why was he trying to hit me? He laughed, and said, no I wasn't, I swear he winked. His bumper felt like it was at my rear wheel, it's been awhile since I have been that scared, I really thought I was gone.

Had a friend to visit later that evening so didn't fancy explaining to the Garda why I pulled the stop engine but damn it I wish I had but that's hardly fair on the passengers trying to get home.

Let's see how this GDPR request thing goes. I do this every day. I turn and wave to bus drivers all the time to say thanks (even though I have not delayed them). All of them wave back, or smile or give a thumbs up. I am ****ing shook.

Twice now, over 20years commuting in Dublin, where someone has knowingly tried to intimidate me to death. Both were driving the 133. Both on the N11. Both when traffic was light and both were not delayed by me. I am actually shaking with rage.

I'd a Dublin Bus deliberately drive right up to my back wheel last week in traffic but sounds nowhere near as bad as that. f*cking hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Definitely pursue that. If there's camera footage available from the bus it sounds like that driver will have some serious explaining to do to his bosses first, and to a judge later.

And so he should. People indulging in this sort of nonsense on the roads would, in an ideal world, have their licences taken off them and posted to the moon.

Even if the court ultimately fails you, the prospect of facing a dangerous driving charge hanging over him for a couple of months might give him some of the stress he gave you with his idiocy and make him think a bit more carefully in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

You get these idiots all over the place CramCycle, I had a funny experience yesterday in the car, wall to wall traffic, I edged out of a turn to merge to my left. Looked to my right and some women shouting to herself in the car, cause I turned out into a wall of traffic, where the f**k was she going to go? Does she expect me to sit there all day. There are too many people that have no manners or courteous to other people in general, these ****s are sadly drivers and cyclists too.

I was nearly going to get out of the car yesterday and ask her where she was planning to go in such a hurry.

Idiots, there on the road, no mater if your on a bike, car, truck, bus, motorbike we all experience them and they could be on or in any of the same.

Personally I don't trust any road user, that's pretty much the safest bet.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Definitely pursue that. If there's camera footage available from the bus it sounds like that driver will have some serious explaining to do to his bosses first, and to a judge later.

And so he should. People indulging in this sort of nonsense on the roads would, in an ideal world, have their licences taken off them and posted to the moon.

Even if the court ultimately fails you, the prospect of facing a dangerous driving charge hanging over him for a couple of months might give him some of the stress he gave you with his idiocy and make him think a bit more carefully in future.
    Requested under FOI. The first request was denied but they did advise me to reapply with tighter parameters. They will only send me footage of me, not the driver but if I get a video from the front of the bus showing how close he comes, that is good enough for me. I'll pop down to the Gardai anyway later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From others who have done it recently you'll get a MOV file from DB with everyone else's faces blurred out. There are a rake of cameras onboard so you get approach, pass and moving away.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

The only way to get the gardaí to investigate would be to call them from under the bus. Once they find out you're still alive they'll confirm it's a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lD6r-u7cUg&feature=youtu.be

Tonights close call. Muppet in a van indicating right, but going straight on and either not realising I was there or being a total @sshat. Sound quality is a bit crap, but at least it covers my swearing (almost)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

site_owner wrote: »
    The only way to get the gardaí to investigate would be to call them from under the bus. Once they find out you're still alive they'll confirm it's a civil matter.

I have made 3 complaints to my local station, backed up with Fly6 & 12 and all have been investigated thoroughlt and with feedback. I have absolutely no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lD6r-u7cUg&feature=youtu.be

Tonights close call. Muppet in a van indicating right, but going straight on and either not realising I was there or being a total @sshat. Sound quality is a bit crap, but at least it covers my swearing (almost)

That was insane :o

Had a very close call tonight myself, “luckily” the wind was in my face and therefore I was travelling slow enough, but one of the worst left hooks I’ve ever experienced. I came to a complete stop in highest gear so actually had to drop a few gears and hand-pedal before setting off again. Only on rewatching did I question why I shouted “OiOiOiOIOi” but she definitely heard me and even hesitated/slowed a little after the left hook before driving away.

I got a good look at her as she passe and this wasn’t a punishment pass. It was just pure ignorance/selfishness. The video is GoPro superview, so it’s even closer than it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

papu wrote: »
    467124.jpg
    "There's space here for ya"

"I'm making a delivery to the bank, is that alright with you?
    ***ng p**k, ***ng busybody".

467125.jpg

You know, you can actually use the road, and go around. Like what we did for about 100 years before all this cycle lane crapology came about. And yes, I'm a keen cyclist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just because he can go around doesn't mean a cyclist shouldn't be annoyed at a driver so blatantly taking the space set aside for cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

just because he can go around doesn't mean a cyclist shouldn't be annoyed at a driver so blatantly taking the space set aside for cyclists?

I've been cycling for over 40 years. I come across crap every day. I deal with it. I don't come on boards complaining about silly crap like this. Granted, there are some posts on this thread that merit sharing, such as close passes, but come on lads, get on with things. Live and let live. We all make mistakes. This kind of running to boards or Joe Duffy with small stuff is what gives cyclists a bad name. There's too much division between motorists/peds/cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I just had a call from gardai in store Street.

Not. Giving the whole story but just an overview, in case it goes further.

Last month near the chq building I was in the car and witnessed a white Mercedes swerve at a cyclist twice, at the lights ahead some clown got out from the backseat (typical Hugo boss tracksuit scrote), stopped the cyclist, put his head against his and pushed, then a pedestrian walking by tried to cool it down and got the same.

In the end I said fok this, drove around and blocked the Mercedes, got out and jogged towards the offender, ended up grabbing his arm and chest and grounding him. Driver gets out pleading to leave it its done etc etc, cyclist clearly teary eyed, pedestrian shook so in the end I backed off, asked the cyclist did he want gardai, he just wanted to get away so I walked away fairly fired up and may or may not have issued a couple of threats towards the driver and his mate ( considering I'm 6'2 and very well built it didn't go unnoticed).

Fast forward to today and I get a call from a garda in store street, they have my phone number as I was witness to bad crash not too long ago. Asked I'm I still the owner of such a car, I confirmed. Someone had recorded the whole incident and shown it to them, they have been to visit the driver about it and also arrested him due to an outstanding warrant. They said in there eyes I did nothing wrong and if the cyclist ever comes forward they may need to talk to me further and take a full statement!

So chq cyclist guy, if you're reading this just be aware that in some ways justice has been served!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fatbhoy wrote: »
    is what gives cyclists a bad name.
    someone reset the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've been cycling for over 40 years. I come across crap every day. I deal with it. I don't come on boards complaining about silly crap like this. Granted, there are some posts on this thread that merit sharing, such as close passes, but come on lads, get on with things. Live and let live. We all make mistakes. This kind of running to boards or Joe Duffy with small stuff is what gives cyclists a bad name. There's too much division between motorists/peds/cyclists.

Instead you come on to complain about people complaining? Sure that's not silly at all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You know, you can actually use the road, and go around. Like what we did for about 100 years before all this cycle lane crapology came about. And yes, I'm a keen cyclist.

So presumably, if I decide to stop my bike to fix a puncture in the middle of a car lane, you'll have no problem with that. No beeping or anything that would give motorists a bad name - you'll just drive around, right?

This kind of running to boards or Joe Duffy with small stuff is what gives cyclists a bad name. There's too much division between motorists/peds/cyclists.
    Tell me more about how this 'bad name' thing works. Do the drivers who kill 3 or 4 people on the road each week give drivers a bad name?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

What happened today is about this spot: https://goo.gl/maps/74VpvzDR7xN2
    It is a problematic spot, imho, as there is a bit of a climb and it is easier if you manage to not get unclipped. It makes sense so to slow down a bit and wait for the green while moving slowly, thus risking to piss the drivers even more than usual (who do not understand that there is a red light there anwyay). Often I get passed anyway, sometimes people wait. I manage to approach the lights anyway as fast as possible and get over as soon as possible when it gets green, so that the cars can pass me. To do so I need to sprint for ~100m, as the road is very narrow and there is a turn right after the lights, and the opposite lane is almost always busy with cars waiting at the lights. It is not fair, I know - we are roas users as them, but considering 99% of the time they get pissed off and considering I have to survive, and also in a way because I want to be kind and gentle, I do so! I am there, I have right to be there, road is narrow and passing is dangerous - so I speed up as much as possible to free the road from my fat ass. Let's put it this way.
    Often people are patient enough, 10 seconds of thei life, after the turn they pass. The more cautios wait for the next straight piece of road, the more jerks pass during the turn. They get to stop anyway at the next traffic lights, always! It is synchronized this way, it always always get red and always they have to stop (I cycle this way very often).
    Anyway, today approaching this lights, I hear a car behind me, looks it's patiently waiting for me to approach the red lights, and it's waiting behind me. As soon as the lights go green, I am trying to free the road as fast as possible, car doesn't wait behind but overtakes me in the turn - another car is approaching in the other direction, car number 1 does not give up, but accelerates more. So i say "here it is, I thought he wouldn't do it, but he is doing it". I move left as much as possible (there is a pavement there...), I try to understand if he will give up or if he continues, so that I have to slow down. All this in a fraction of second of course. So he accelerates more, car approaching does not slow down but horns, car number one swerves left almost hooking me. I scream at him and give move my arms, at least only for the sake of letting him know what he did (did he realise it???)
    So I know he is goona stop at the queue at the next lights, in fact after the turns I see he is stopping there.
    Those few dozens of seconds are very helpful, I calm down and I am approaching him like "Saint Francis speaking with the wolf" - I simply would like to tell him "listen, have you realised what you did there?You could have waited instead of endangering me, yourself, and the other driver".
    So approach the driver side, I ask (gesturing politely also) to open the window "I need to talk to you, could you please open?" etc etc.
    He is starring at me with a mafia look (I come from the South of Italy, I know what I mean :D ), he is simply starring at me like "I don't give a s*** who you are and whatever you are gonna tell me, I have such important businesses to take care of, and be careful you are risking your life with me". I try for 15/20 seconds or so, no way. He is doing the "mafia looking".

Wanna know what was the weirdest thing?
    IT WAS the SAME car, same man, same other man sitting on the right side, overtaking me on the gran canal and left hooking me (quite on purpose I would say, even though I'm not 100% sure) a few months ago; at that time, I also reached him at the next lights, I asked him he could put the window down because I had to tell him a few words; I got the same reaction.

Anyone having similar issues with this huge SUV Mercedes dark-grey (or black?)? I know it's a kind of improbable over half a million of citizens, but if I have got contacts with him twice... who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

1. Parking in cycle lanes is worth highlighting because it's usually one of the first things motorists give out about to cyclists - 'why aren't you using the cycle lane'
    2. I'm pretty sure if I parked in a car lane in my car while I nip into the bank for 2 minutes motorists would go ballistic, and rightly so - not surprising cyclists are aggrieved when a car parks in a cycle lane
    3. Parking a car in a cycle lane is actually doing a disservice to other motorists as well - cyclists are forced into car lanes, which will slow traffic down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Perhaps you should inform Justice Charleton about his "crapology"?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/parking-cycle-lanes-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

" Overall, 2.5 times as many cyclists rode on cycle tracks compared with reference streets and there were 8.5 injuries and 10.5 crashes per million bicycle-kilometres. The RR of injury on cycle tracks was 0.72 (95% CI 0.60 to 0.85) compared with bicycling in reference streets. These data suggest that the injury risk of bicycling on cycle tracks is less than bicycling in streets. The construction of cycle tracks should not be discouraged."

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/49822835_Risk_of_injury_for_bicycling_on_cycle_tracks_versus_in_the_street

That driver is:
    A) Making it less safe
    B) Slowing overall traffic (do we need more traffic in Dublin?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...but come on lads, get on with things. Live and let live. We all make mistakes.
    Yeah, but it's getting harder to live with the wilful and ignorant "mistakes" some reckless drivers make. Day in, day out.

But you go ahead and ignore that. Good luck out there on the road. Although who needs luck when you've got a 1 tonne metal box protecting you. AmIright!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

italodisco wrote: »
    Fast forward to today and I get a call from a garda in store street, they have my phone number as I was witness to bad crash not too long ago.
    They have many ways of having your phone number.

if the cyclist ever comes forward they may need to talk to me further and take a full statement!

So chq cyclist guy, if you're reading this just be aware that in some ways justice has been served!!!!
    If you are the cyclist, in all such situations one should talk directly to the Garda and not engage random people on the internet. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Technophobe

queldy wrote: »
    What happened today is about this spot: https://goo.gl/maps/74VpvzDR7xN2
    It is a problematic spot, imho, as there is a bit of a climb and it is easier if you manage to not get unclipped. It makes sense so to slow down a bit and wait for the green while moving slowly, thus risking to piss the drivers even more than usual (who do not understand that there is a red light there anwyay). Often I get passed anyway, sometimes people wait. I manage to approach the lights anyway as fast as possible and get over as soon as possible when it gets green, so that the cars can pass me. To do so I need to sprint for ~100m, as the road is very narrow and there is a turn right after the lights, and the opposite lane is almost always busy with cars waiting at the lights. It is not fair, I know - we are roas users as them, but considering 99% of the time they get pissed off and considering I have to survive, and also in a way because I want to be kind and gentle, I do so! I am there, I have right to be there, road is narrow and passing is dangerous - so I speed up as much as possible to free the road from my fat ass. Let's put it this way.
    Often people are patient enough, 10 seconds of thei life, after the turn they pass. The more cautios wait for the next straight piece of road, the more jerks pass during the turn. They get to stop anyway at the next traffic lights, always! It is synchronized this way, it always always get red and always they have to stop (I cycle this way very often).
    Anyway, today approaching this lights, I hear a car behind me, looks it's patiently waiting for me to approach the red lights, and it's waiting behind me. As soon as the lights go green, I am trying to free the road as fast as possible, car doesn't wait behind but overtakes me in the turn - another car is approaching in the other direction, car number 1 does not give up, but accelerates more. So i say "here it is, I thought he wouldn't do it, but he is doing it". I move left as much as possible (there is a pavement there...), I try to understand if he will give up or if he continues, so that I have to slow down. All this in a fraction of second of course. So he accelerates more, car approaching does not slow down but horns, car number one swerves left almost hooking me. I scream at him and give move my arms, at least only for the sake of letting him know what he did (did he realise it???)
    So I know he is goona stop at the queue at the next lights, in fact after the turns I see he is stopping there.
    Those few dozens of seconds are very helpful, I calm down and I am approaching him like "Saint Francis speaking with the wolf" - I simply would like to tell him "listen, have you realised what you did there?You could have waited instead of endangering me, yourself, and the other driver".
    So approach the driver side, I ask (gesturing politely also) to open the window "I need to talk to you, could you please open?" etc etc.
    He is starring at me with a mafia look (I come from the South of Italy, I know what I mean :D ), he is simply starring at me like "I don't give a s*** who you are and whatever you are gonna tell me, I have such important businesses to take care of, and be careful you are risking your life with me". I try for 15/20 seconds or so, no way. He is doing the "mafia looking".

Wanna know what was the weirdest thing?
    IT WAS the SAME car, same man, same other man sitting on the right side, overtaking me on the gran canal and left hooking me (quite on purpose I would say, even though I'm not 100% sure) a few months ago; at that time, I also reached him at the next lights, I asked him he could put the window down because I had to tell him a few words; I got the same reaction.

Anyone having similar issues with this huge SUV Mercedes dark-grey (or black?)? I know it's a kind of improbable over half a million of citizens, but if I have got contacts with him twice... who knows!

I know that hill alright..sometimes cycle in that way on the brighter days...As you say, its a pain to stop there as is hard to get going again...ideal is to be climbing as it turns green but i usually get caught on red...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement