Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hurrache wrote: »
    But they can run them now as they are? I don't get what the official bit refers to.

Currently there is no signs pointing to the trails or even maps. So if you are new or a visitor to Ireland, you won't have a clue.

Other countries provide maps in the park of the trails and signs highlighting the length etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, colour coded distance marker for different loops and terrain, the likes you see on MTB trails, would be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Absolute ****show of a junction, ride through it daily. Left lane gets arrow first, but there’s always someone chancing their arm going straight. Then if anyone in right lane is turning, you’ve a load of people overtaking on left to go straight. Add in all the people breaking the red from pearse st to macken street and I’m surprised there haven’t been more serious accidents.

Drive through it occasionally and there should be no right turn from either direction at that junction, would solve most of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Absolute ****show of a junction, ride through it daily. Left lane gets arrow first, but there’s always someone chancing their arm going straight. Then if anyone in right lane is turning, you’ve a load of people overtaking on left to go straight. Add in all the people breaking the red from pearse st to macken street and I’m surprised there haven’t been more serious accidents.

I've had a taxi driver honk me out of it at that junction for having the temerity to be in the right-hand, straight-ahead lane blocking his illegal straight-on-in-the-left-turn-only lane. I thought he was trying to be helpful warning me about a problem with my bike so I had to stop in the middle of the junction to ask him if there was something he wanted to tell me. He followed it up with a punishment pass when he got by.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

p15574 wrote: »
    I've had a taxi driver honk me out of it at that junction for having the temerity to be in the right-hand, straight-ahead lane blocking his illegal straight-on-in-the-left-turn-only lane. I thought he was trying to be helpful warning me about a problem with my bike so I had to stop in the middle of the junction to ask him if there was something he wanted to tell me. He followed it up with a punishment pass when he got by.

I've had great pleasure while driving in letting the cheeky gits (90% taxis) in the left lane run themselves right up to the parked cars on Macken street when they've been determined to overtake on the left. One taxi driver was literally millimetres from my passenger door trying to bully me into letting him through and gesticulating all the way. My smile as I left him stuck really rubbed it in.

I totally agree that allowing right turns from Macken St to Pearse St is lunacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Drive through it occasionally and there should be no right turn from either direction at that junction, would solve most of the problem.
    Totally agree - I have witnessed right-turning cars on Macken Street (both directions) actually on the wrong side of the road as they try to turn right. I have no problem with the right turns off Pearse Street as these seem to be necessary for the route

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

benjamin d wrote: »
    I've had great pleasure while driving in letting the cheeky gits (90% taxis) in the left lane run themselves right up to the parked cars on Macken street when they've been determined to overtake on the left. One taxi driver was literally millimetres from my passenger door trying to bully me into letting him through and gesticulating all the way. My smile as I left him stuck really rubbed it in.

I totally agree that allowing right turns from Macken St to Pearse St is lunacy

Seen a guy do this up the bus lane on the N11, Garda was in front of a bus so he tried to get back in without being seen, and it was joyous to watch everyone else close ranks on him and block him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Had a lovely quiet cycle in this morning, then got skimmed on Percy Place a few minutes from work

At the next set of lights
    "Buddy, you're in the middle of the road"
    "So why did you overtake?"
    "There's room for two cars on that road"

Sure there is "buddy", sure there is.

Note my front wheel, in the "middle of the road"

468518.jpg

Is that a parked car beside you?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is that a parked car beside you?

Yep - I was about maybe 1-2ft further out until he came alongside but then got 'pressed' in, so maybe I was, in his eyes, in the middle of the road. If you're familiar with the road, there's parking both sides so only room for 1 car at a time either direction.

It just beggars belief that the logic is "He's in the middle of the road, so I'd better pass". To me, it's just an admission that it was a punishment pass.

• Advertisement

Yep - I was about maybe 1-2ft further out until he came alongside but then got 'pressed' in, so maybe I was, in his eyes, in the middle of the road. If you're familiar with the road, there's parking both sides so only room for 1 car at a time either direction.

It just beggars belief that the logic is "He's in the middle of the road, so I'd better pass". To me, it's just an admission that it was a punishment pass.

Thats the one with parking both sides of the footpath in places, where in some cases, if a car on the inside wants to leave, they can either suck up the fact that they are stuck or they can drive down the footpath to get out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

just the latest example of taxi driver intimidation.

https://twitter.com/SpucklerMr/status/1075493958929842176

Saw this on twitter last night - interesting how the foglights come on for some reason? Also, my first time seeing an avensis taxi with fog lights off, assumed they were factory-fitted on, but hey, you learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

https://twitter.com/SpucklerMr/status/1075493958929842176

Love the pedestrian jaywalking too, rabbit in headlights :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

And all to just jam on his brakes and stop behind the stopped traffic.

What a cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Had a lovely quiet cycle in this morning, then got skimmed on Percy Place a few minutes from work

At the next set of lights
    "Buddy, you're in the middle of the road"
    "So why did you overtake?"
    "There's room for two cars on that road"

Sure there is "buddy", sure there is.

Note my front wheel, in the "middle of the road"

468518.jpg

There most definitely is not room for two cars on Percy Place!

Duckjob wrote: »
    And all to just jam on his brakes and stop behind the stopped traffic.

What a cock.

yep, it was absolutely done for no reason other than to intimidate me. on Pearse st a few mins later he passed very close again but this time on my left hand side as I was lining up to turn right. then he turned right from the lane which is only for traffic carrying straight on. what a pleasant man to have to share the road with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Lovely morning back commuting,

7 cars breaking the lights at 1 junction,
    142D7399 , Taxi no 25397 cuts me off with no indication,
    another car makes a right turn in front of me,
    a gaggle of pedestrians, with pram in tow, cross the road on a red light.

This is the second time a mytaxi liveried vehicle has done sometime blatantly dangerous with passengers onboard and not given a fupp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

papu wrote: »
    Lovely morning back commuting,

7 cars breaking the lights at 1 junction,
    Are you counting when they cross the stop line or get to the other side of the junction? I only (:rolleyes:) counted 2.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Are you counting when they cross the stop line or get to the other side of the junction? I only (:rolleyes:) counted 2.

going through on amber when you can safely stop is breaking the lights, not just going through on red. I see at least 6 doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

going through on amber when you can safely stop is breaking the lights, not just going through on red. I see at least 6 doing this.
    The caption on the video says "Red light + 7 cars", maybe the meaning is unclear.

I can count 4 which objectively would have had the opportunity to stop on amber while the camera showed the light. If we're counting everyone in the junction there was also a bike doing the same thing that was unmentioned :D

papu wrote: »
    a gaggle of pedestrians, with pram in tow, cross the road on a red light.

I understand how frustrating this is, but you absolutely belted through that junction, I'd be at least covering the brakes, or at a minimum reaching for them as soon as you see a buggy.

I was over in France for the New Year and showed my brother-in-law there various GoPro videos from my cycling in Ireland and some of my encounters with taxi drivers etc. He was visibly shocked by them and commented that Irish drivers seem to "have no respect" towards people on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cycling in France is an absolute dream. The respect shown by drivers is unreal.

I've just returned to cycle commuting after been 3 weeks away over Christmas - I'm really starting to wonder if the risk outweighs the benefits at this stage. The behaviour on the road is unreal.

This morning, heading towards the Customs House in Dublin, has some entitled tw@t blow on thew horn then left hook about 10 cyclists at Liberty Hall. Just swung blindly across, with people swerving and braking everywhere to avoid him. It's really embarrassing at this stage how some motorists use the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

Got knocked down in the halfway house roundabout yesterday morning, I was inside the roundabout going towards the phoenix park and this car coming from navan road clipped my bike from the back.

He said he didn't see me, weird because from the way he was coming from he should have seen me going across.

Several hours wasted in ER just for a checkup, and bicycle totalled.

At least I'm ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he's covering your costs, i hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

he's covering your costs, i hope?

Yes, all costs will be covered. I will be calling the insurance company today.

NEVER forget your helmet folks, it saved me yesterday from a much worse outcome since I banged my head when I fell.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Cycling in France is an absolute dream. The respect shown by drivers is unreal.

I've just returned to cycle commuting after been 3 weeks away over Christmas - I'm really starting to wonder if the risk outweighs the benefits at this stage. The behaviour on the road is unreal.

This morning, heading towards the Customs House in Dublin, has some entitled tw@t blow on thew horn then left hook about 10 cyclists at Liberty Hall. Just swung blindly across, with people swerving and braking everywhere to avoid him. It's really embarrassing at this stage how some motorists use the road.

I'm at that stage too, unfortunately.

The atmosphere and general mistreatment of cyclists by some has been left largely unchecked to the point where it is now quite toxic. My only hope at this stage is if any international attention starts to focus on neanderthal (no other word for it) attitudes and behaviours by some drivers here, that pressure might be brought to bear to crack down and keep some of this monkey-like behaviour in check.

I'm proudly Irish, but at a time when other countries are making great strides away from car dependence and towards more clean, healthy, and liveable cities, we're looking increasingly like the lsland people of Europe.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The atmosphere and general mistreatment of cyclists by some has been left largely unchecked to the point where it is now quite toxic.
    When both the main state agency for road safety and the minister responsible for overseeing road safety hold a contemptible of cyclists, what do you expect?
    The authorities in Ireland are anti-cycling. Cycling is something that obstructs our driving culture, nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm at that stage too, unfortunately.

The atmosphere and general mistreatment of cyclists by some has been left largely unchecked to the point where it is now quite toxic. My only hope at this stage is if any international attention starts to focus on neanderthal (no other word for it) attitudes and behaviours by some drivers here, that pressure might be brought to bear to crack down and keep some of this monkey-like behaviour in check.

I'm proudly Irish, but at a time when other countries are making great strides away from car dependence and towards more clean, healthy, and liveable cities, we're looking increasingly like the lsland people of Europe.

Agreed. We also have a huge problem with obesity, diabetes and general unhealthy lifestyles.

It’s pretty embarrassing when you go to Europe and beyond and see how generally fitter and more mobile the General population is. We’re definykwy the lazy slobs of Europe.

It’s hard to see how cycling will become on par with other means of transport - it’s definitely become more toxic in recent years. The Pat Kenny / George Hook / FM104 effect have all helped to contribute to this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement