Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Go easy on us. I'm sure you want to be one, someday.

This you Eamonn?
    https://twitter.com/OldManRodgers/status/1065181884869763073?s=19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

About 4.20minutes in, keep an eye on the track bike guy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jaysus, that's ballsy and so incredibly dumb a maneuver. I wonder if they ever had an accident

Weepsie wrote: »
    Jaysus, that's ballsy and so incredibly dumb a maneuver. I wonder if they ever had an accident

If the jeep hadn't tapped the brakes, I imagine that lad would be another unpleasant statistic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Weepsie wrote: »
    If they did, I doubt it was an accident!

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »

Fella thinks hes an NYC Fixed Gear Fascist.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

CramCycle wrote:

One brave idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

467124.jpg
    "There's space here for ya"

"I'm making a delivery to the bank, is that alright with you?
    ***ng p**k, ***ng busybody".

467125.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

presume he means robbing the bank?

but still, how did he get through the magic wands?

we need segregated infrastructure. now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Encountered a charmer yesterday going through Ranelagh.

I'm in the cycle lane on the left and had a van pull right out and in on top of me from the road opposite. https://www.google.ie/maps/place/6+Sandford+Rd,+Dublin+6,+D06+A2P4/@53.3223766,-6.247984,3a,75y,147.19h,86.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sm8lMJsTlyLKL0Fkv7Y6STA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sSandford+Road,+Dublin+6!3m4!1s0x48670eafe4c1f963:0x99f5d799ded5865b!8m2!3d53.3236528!4d-6.2498415

He didn't like my dirty look so proceeded to slow down and drive alongside me with the window down asking me what the problem was.

When I told him that he had pulled in on top of me he came back with 'sure if I was on top of you I'd be riding you. Actually do you fancy a ride?'

So many smart responses came to me only after he had driven away!! Hate that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

site_owner wrote: »
    presume he means robbing the bank?

but still, how did he get through the magic wands?

we need segregated infrastructure. now.

Well he pointed at Ulster bank when he said he was making a delivery, then waddled off around the corner
    The genius reversed down the cycle lane half on the footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

papu wrote: »
    Well he pointed at Ulster bank when he said he was making a delivery, then waddled off around the corner
    The genius reversed down the cycle lane half on the footpath

sometimes i'm amazed at the stuff motorists come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

site_owner wrote: »
    sometimes i'm amazed at the stuff motorists come up with.

I'm regularly amazed at how people can have their heads shoved so far up their own arses they can't see, nor do they care, how their actions impact on other people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Vel wrote: »
    When I told him that he had pulled in on top of me he came back with 'sure if I was on top of you I'd be riding you. Actually do you fancy a ride?'

So many smart responses came to me only after he had driven away!! Hate that!
    'are you always this... rapey?' is one which springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Had a silly one this morning which was my own fault truth be told.

Coming down Ballymun Road, just past the entrance to DCU - was in the bus/bike lane and heard a motorbike behind me so I didn't fully take the lane to let him go by, but I was a doors width out from the cars parked on the left.

Next thing a taxi is sliding up beside me, so close that I moved a couple inches left so his wing mirror wouldn't touch my handlebars. He was going marginally fast than I was so it was all slow motion. He had a fare in the front seat, so I banged the rear passenger window.

He got in front, put his hazards on and dropped anchor to get out and confront me.

He asked why I banged his car and wanted to know should he do something about it.

I asked why he passed so close instead of waiting behind, told him he almost touched my bars with his wing mirror.

He told me he was miles from me and made a gesture with his hands to show this.

I asked if he was so far away how did I manage to bang the window.

At this point traffic was building up behind, including two motorbikes. A cyclist came alongside me and started telling the taxi man about the 1.5m passing distance and he had almost hit me.

Our taxi friend then gave the usual, you cyclist think you own the whole road and got into the car.

I passed him 300m later as he queued in traffic and gave a friendly wave.

It's rare I don't take the lane there, will definitely not make that mistake going forward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder what his fare thought of all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

i wonder what his fare thought of all that.

I'm sure the meter was running during all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Leonard's Corner this morning, usual thing with a member of the self love crew (an 11yo 3 series BMW) not checking his mirrors.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Had a silly one this morning which was my own fault truth be told.

Coming down Ballymun Road, just past the entrance to DCU - was in the bus/bike lane and heard a motorbike behind me so I didn't fully take the lane to let him go by, but I was a doors width out from the cars parked on the left.

Next thing a taxi is sliding up beside me, so close that I moved a couple inches left so his wing mirror wouldn't touch my handlebars. He was going marginally fast than I was so it was all slow motion. He had a fare in the front seat, so I banged the rear passenger window.

He got in front, put his hazards on and dropped anchor to get out and confront me.

He asked why I banged his car and wanted to know should he do something about it.

I asked why he passed so close instead of waiting behind, told him he almost touched my bars with his wing mirror.

At this point traffic was building up behind, including two motorbikes. A cyclist came alongside me and started telling the taxi man about the 1.5m passing distance and he had almost hit me.

Our taxi friend then gave the usual, you cyclist think you own the whole road and got into the car.

I passed him 300m later as he queued in traffic and gave a friendly wave.

It's rare I don't take the lane there, will definitely not make that mistake going forward.

Id love for a rant like this to be captured on camera and forwarded to the NTA and RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Perfect - he had no response to that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

ED E wrote: »
    Id love for a rant like this to be captured on camera and forwarded to the NTA and RTE.

Tbh he was a tall imposing man, when he stepped out of the car I feared the worst, he had that look about him. You are in a difficult position if someone hits you and you are straddling a bike.

Point above is that I'm now pondering about whether a camera would deter that type of thing, but I really don't want to be in a position where I feel I need a camera.

Tbh he was a tall imposing man, when he stepped out of the car I feared the worst, he had that look about him. You are in a difficult position if someone hits you and you are straddling a bike.

Sounds a lot like Brian

I really don't want to be in a position where I feel I need a camera.

The camera isnt for you, its for the Coroner after you've been crushed by a Dublin Bus driver that "didnt see you".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

ED E wrote: »

The camera isnt for you, its for the Coroner after you've been crushed by a Dublin Bus driver that "didnt see you".

That escalated quickly!

Sad but true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

That escalated quickly!

Sad but true though.

it absolutely is. another cyclist asked me recently while stopped at traffic lights why I had a camera on the bike. I told him it was primarily for evidence in case someone hit me - he responded that it wasn't much use if they killed me. I told him that my life assurance is also of no use to me when I die but I damn sure want to ensure that responsibility is correctly apportioned if such an event occurs.

it absolutely is. another cyclist asked me recently while stopped at traffic lights why I had a camera on the bike. I told him it was primarily for evidence in case someone hit me - he responded that it wasn't much use if they killed me. I told him that my life assurance is also of no use to me when I die but I damn sure want to ensure that responsibility is correctly apportioned if such an event occurs.
    But I thought that if you are wearing your high-viz than you won't get hit? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I have a camera in my car. There is nutjobs out there on the road making invalid insurance claims etc.

One that happened to us a few weeks ago was as follows:

I was at a junction, red light and a bike came up my inside and in front of us. After awhile the bike decided to break the red light but got hit by a car. Nothing serious.
    Garda were called and we couldn't move as were witness to it. Cyclists claimed car went through red and not him. Garda asked us a few questions and then he saw we had a camera and asked to look at the footage. Cyclists changed his tune once he saw garda looking at a camera.

Alot of people out there trying to make a quick buck at all of our expense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I have a camera in my car. There is nutjobs out there on the road making invalid insurance claims etc.

One that happened to us a few weeks ago was as follows:

I was at a junction, red light and a bike came up my inside and in front of us. After awhile the bike decided to break the red light but got hit by a car. Nothing serious.
    Garda were called and we couldn't move as were witness to it. Cyclists claimed car went through red and not him. Garda asked us a few questions and then he saw we had a camera and asked to look at the footage. Cyclists changed his tune once he saw garda looking at a camera.

Alot of people out there trying to make a quick buck at all of our expense!!

I keep saying to myself I need to get a camera for the car.

Very similar situation after getting knocked down off the bike. Driver said I cycled into him. I said he didn’t indicate. He argued he did. I showed him the video. He bought me new askiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I keep saying to myself I need to get a camera for the car.

Very similar situation after getting knocked down off the bike. Driver said I cycled into him. I said he didn’t indicate. He argued he did. I showed him the video. He bought me new askiums.

Not indicating pisses me off. And I am in a car.

Not indicating pisses me off. And I am in a car.

I have gotten into the habit of letting people know their indicator isn't working :pac:

Why bother indicating if your only going to do it as you turn. You indicate before the turn.

• Advertisement

The only thing a flashing indicator tells others is that the bulb works!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement