Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 notmypants

What a morning for cycling - probably should have got the bus.

Cycling through Ballybough, over the canal. There was a line of traffic and a left hand turn.

I was cycling in the cycle lane, and a car pulls in to turn left on a tight squeeze (obv decides he's had enough of sitting in traffic). I smash straight into him, over the bonnet and land on my feet.

Very lucky in this instance. Bike has a little damage and I'm a little bruised and have been tired for most of the day.

I think had I hit the ground this would have been a lot worse.

Took his details and felt bad for him really.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

notmypants wrote:

Seriously? Really? Hope you're Ok, but I wonder equally is he feeling bad for you right now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 notmypants

rushfan wrote: »
    Seriously? Really? Hope you're Ok, but I wonder equally is he feeling bad for you right now!!

Yeah, I'm fine and he was freaked out. Mistakes happen and we were all lucky in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Different type of near miss for me today - in the car. (mods; feel free to delete if you feel it is not in the correct thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

An absolute sh*t show out there this morning.

Cyclist just ahead of me got taken out by a car entering a roundabout in Templeogue. He was lit up like a Christmas tree. He maintained he was fine and driver was very apologetic, but he very clearly just wasn’t looking for anything but headlights.

Two near misses from there into city centre with drivers pulling ridiculous stuff in traffic - One guy sneaking up the bus lane on Samuel Beckett bridge then nipping into right lane to go straight while I’m beside him, and one guy swinging into cycle track without warning from a standstill, to do a U turn due to traffic.

Some weather for it too.

Just to round off a mental day. Had an uneventful cycle home, if a little wet, but went for a run when I got home. Witnessed a near miss between two cars merging. Woman was coming to end of bus lane so was definitely in the wrong, but the bloke got ahead of her and brake checked her, heavily. Twice. In this weather. He then got out of the car and ran toward her car screaming furiously “it’s a bus lane” so I ran straight across the road to him cutting him off and told him to get back in his car and relax. He was really fuming.

Traffic does serious stuff to some people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

notmypants wrote: »
    If thw driver is actually thinking about you tonight it is probably more to do with them worrying about the possibility of a claim on their insurance.
    He should be grateful that his driving didn't seriously injure you (or even have killed you)!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Chiparus wrote: »
    Different type of near miss for me today - in the car. (mods; feel free to delete if you feel it is not in the correct thread)

Forgive a dumb question, but is that a motorway?

Forgive a dumb question, but is that a motorway?

Yep.
    She was keeping up with traffic on the other side as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It was traffic ground zero out there this morning. It’s gas how the average motorists says “ah sure I’ll just swing up the bus lane, traffic is mental. Sure what about it if there’s a few bikes in there already? I’m in a car and in a rush”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I take it, the other driver was flashing the headlights because you were flashing yours?

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I take it, the other driver was flashing the headlights because you were flashing yours?

No the there was a car overtaking another one behind me, she was flashing to for them to get out of her way, Two elderly women.

longer version:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It was traffic ground zero out there this morning. It’s gas how the average motorists says “ah sure I’ll just swing up the bus lane, traffic is mental. Sure what about it if there’s a few bikes in there already? I’m in a car and in a rush”

Cycling through North Strand on way into town yesterday morning, leisurely pace being honest, and got beeped by a car in the bus lane behind me. He didn't seem to realise he shouldn't have been in said lane.

On the way home then I had a car drive towards me on the wrong side of the Howth Road for at least 100 metres before she realised she was in the wrong lane. Eventful day of commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

No the there was a car overtaking another one behind me, she was flashing to for them to get out of her way, Two elderly women.

longer version:

Someone hadn't any change for the toll plaza and turned around?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

buffalo wrote: »
    Someone hadn't any change for the toll plaza and turned around?

Or OAP with failing faculties. GPs are far too soft on their patients.

ED E wrote: »

Lost tourists ?

Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

longer version:

Did you get a reg to report? Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ED E wrote: »

Go easy on us. I'm sure you want to be one, someday.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Did you get a reg to report? Madness

No , it was a Waterford reg cannot make out the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

i guess we dont have to worry about cyclists on the footpath anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

site_owner wrote: »

i guess we dont have to worry about cyclists on the footpath anymore

We need a Stop A Douchebag operation for Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen that (to a much lesser extent than above) on griffith avenue before too.

“Out of my way, I’m a motorist”

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Cycling through North Strand on way into town yesterday morning, leisurely pace being honest, and got beeped by a car in the bus lane behind me. He didn't seem to realise he shouldn't have been in said lane.

When that happens me, all it usually achieves is to make me stop (safely) and politely enquire from the motorist if there is something I can help them with. Maybe I might also notice my brake pads need adjusting slowly too or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

p15574 wrote: »
    When that happens me, all it usually achieves is to make me stop (safely) and politely enquire from the motorist if there is something I can help them with. Maybe I might also notice my brake pads need adjusting slowly too or something.

I've done that too, car illegally in the bus lane beeped at me to move so I stopped and slowly checked rear lights, brakes and tyre before asking him what the problem was.

He said I was blocking the bus lane, so I corrected him and went about my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

amcalester wrote: »
    I've done that too, car illegally in the bus lane beeped at me to move so I stopped and slowly checked rear lights, brakes and tyre before asking him what the problem was.

He said I was blocking the bus lane, so I corrected him and went about my business.

He must have loved that. I think I'll definitely try this the next time it happens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Mc Love wrote: »
    He must have loved that. I think I'll definitely try this the next time it happens :D
    When the driver flashes his/her badge just tell them you're not psychic and that they keep their unmarked car very clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I suddenly discovered several things that I hadn't checked on my DB last Friday in the wide cycle lane on St Stephens Green once I realised that there were 3 vehicles in the cycle lane behind me skipping up the inside of queuing traffic. funnily enough the white van man amongst them got angrier than the rest of them by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Idleater wrote: »
    When the driver flashes his/her badge just tell them you're not psychic and that they keep their unmarked car very clean.

Happened to me once on Pearse Street, I was in the car at the time. I was about to clear one of the junctions in heavy traffic and a car came down the bus lane, cut me off and I was left stuck in the junction on the yellow box. I beeped, he waved his badge and hit the siren once, told me I was the problem with traffic in Dublin, and drove off again down the rest of the bus lane.

For some reason, I get a sudden urge to free wheel when someone in a private car beeps me in a bus lane while it’s in operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I find slowing to theatrically point out the 5ft high words "LANA BUS" and the usually accompanying 5ft high bicycle painted on the road gets most people to sheepishly F off out of the bus lane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement