Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Don't respond to him, that's what he lives of. Look at his responses, far from reasoned and well mannered discourse he was reared. As the saying goes, beware arguing with idiots. All they will do is drag you down to their level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

That's it in a nutshell. Cant win with these guys; let him have his conversation on his own and with other 'like minded' individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    That's it in a nutshell. Cant win with these guys; let him have his conversation on his own and with other 'like minded' individuals.

Using the word 'minded' falsely insinuates the use of a brain. :D

Why did I read the replies :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

though i did like this tweet in that feed - quantifies how much space vehicles take up at different speeds:

https://twitter.com/DiarmuidOM/status/1063195669014417408

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

though i did like this tweet in that feed - quantifies how much space vehicles take up at different speeds:

So in one tweet he wants to ban cyclists but in another he says
    People are just as entitled to drive as you are to walk, cycle or use public transport.

He's a bit of an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Jesus that's a great infographic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

amcalester wrote: »
    So in one tweet he wants to ban cyclists but in another he says

He's a bit of an idiot.

Look, he's no fool - presumably
    (I) he's a driver who has it in for cyclists
    (II) his audience are drivers, many of whom have it in for cyclists.

Its a win - win for him to be 'opening a debate' where he knows the outcome, that also plays into what his audience wants to hear.

This debate has played out in the media many many many times. Drivers are in the 'power' seat because of their numbers.

I am reminded of Roy Keane's line when he got kicked of United "I knew that even if I was right, I would still be the loser".

There is no point in getting involved. People are not open minded, they don't care what you think, and they don't care about who is right and who is wrong; they just care about themselves and their own interests.

Look, he's no fool - presumably
    (I) he's a driver who has it in for cyclists
    (II) his audience are drivers, many of whom have it in for cyclists.

Its a win - win for him to be 'opening a debate' where he knows the outcome, that also plays into what his audience wants to hear.

This debate has played out in the media many many many times. Drivers are in the 'power' seat because of their numbers.

I am reminded of Roy Keane's line when he got kicked of United "I knew that even if I was right, I would still be the loser".

There is no point in getting involved.
    There's a captive audience in cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Jesus that's a great infographic
    i suspect it's been clipped out in the photo, but based on the numbers, it's the space needed per passenger in each mode, not explicitly the space the vehicle itself needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Well at the moment it's 46% finding cyclists more annoying. Hopefully the view of the majority is endorsed - drivers as a group are more annoying than cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I wonder how many near-misses/revenge-passes will occur today as a result of this?

In the past whenever I had a particularly dangerous commute to work due to more close calls than normal, I would typically find out that George Hook had been spouting his idiocy over the airwaves earlier that day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Niall Boylan is what would happen if Brian O'Driscoll and Johnny Logan were melded into the one body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Another questionable one is Terenure Aldi. It's right across the road from the nation's school, and a pedestrian crossing. The very wide access to the car park doesn't have zebra crossing or any signs for drivers to be mindful of pedestrians. The mind boggles that this was not considered as mandatory for the grant of planning.

There a Lidl nearby too. Going on that, with its fairly extensive, both places are meant as a way of providing a lot more carparking for the local shops, not just the German duo. I don't know, except cycling through is even less safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Danjamin1 wrote: »

Can never understand the dislike for cyclists. By cycling, I’m taking up less room and it’s one less car to queue behind. And if I’m moving, chances are your average speed behind me in a car is going to be higher than if you were in motorised traffic in an urban situation.

Dublin has ground to a halt, saturated with motorised traffic and making a lot of people miserable and angry. Adding hours per week to their working lives. Yet cyclists are the problem. We truly are wedded to the car for years to come.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Can never understand the dislike for cyclists.

Begrudgery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Near miss last night... with a fox! Jumped out of the hedge beside me, ran alongside for about 20 metres then back into the hedge. Scared the bejeebus out of me!

Video doesn't really capture it though:

Feckin foxes think they own the road. Didn't even signal pulling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

mrcheez wrote: »
    Feckin foxes think they own the road. Didn't even signal pulling out.

Somewhere on the fox forum there's an angry hi-viz/helmet post being typed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Did that fox even pay his road tax...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm not so sure that is the best approach.

I understand the "don't feed the trolls" thinking, and I've probably quoted it myself once or twice.

But with stuff like this, there's value in confronting the nonsense. I was pleasantly surprised to find that about 70% of the responses to Boylan were pro cycling.

While he's never going to change his mind, it is great to deliver a clear message that he's the one going off mainstream with such opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Jesus he's repulsive. Not just anti-cyclist, but anti-immigrant, anti-vegan, anti anything he can get his moron audience/twitterers to comment on. More fool me for reading his tweets...time for a shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

https://twitter.com/Niall_Boylan/status/1063133482057170947

Can we actually do this for one day and see what the traffic is like when the 95,000 cyclists in dublin take to other forms of transport, mostly cars?

I'm sick of being close passed or beeped for "slowing someone down" when in reality I'm one less car on the road causing traffic. ...

Reminds me of a protest in San Francisco (2015) where cyclists caused gridlock by coming to a complete stop at every stop sign. "... tactic of engaging in civil obedience"

S.F. bike riders’ Wiggle protest slows traffic [sfgate.com]

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was chatting to my mother in law, told her about the bus driver who was found guilty of killing a cyclist via dangerous driving which I described to her. This normally is a stupid thing to do as it would follow she would turn around and give a lecture about not cycling. I mentioned the reprieve for letting him work until Christmas. It's something that bugs me about several cases I have read about over the years. Anyway, the tides are turning, she turned around and said, you cyclists should get together and have a protest, that's disgraceful, scandalous. It was nice to hear such a staunch anti cyclist (out of fear) look at the issue as, it wasn't the cyclists fault for cycling, which would be the de facto standard. Never that the cyclist was guilty but just that she would be blind to the fault of the other party as if you weren't there in the first place it never would have happened. Glad to see her realising the real issue.

i've had similar experiences with my father in law, but they're false dawns because he then goes and posts australian anti-cyclist guff to facebook (not that i'm friends with him on facebook, that'd be a bridge too far).

Nearly hit by a van this morning at lights on the way over to Kilmainham from Phoenix Park. I was ahead of him waiting for the lights to go green with my foot on the footpath. When he pulled off he skimmed my handlebars on the right.

I caught up to him at the lights outside the Hilton. We'd a few words and he said he didn't even see me! FFS!

I was lit up like a fcuking Xmas tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nearly hit by a van this morning at lights on the way over to Kilmainham from Phoenix Park. I was ahead of him waiting for the lights to go green with my foot on the footpath. When he pulled off he skimmed my handlebars on the right.

I caught up to him at the lights outside the Hilton. We'd a few words and he said he didn't even see me! FFS!

I was lit up like a fcuking Xmas tree.

Technically thats a hit and run, if you wanted to nail him to the wall.

ED E wrote: »
    Technically thats a hit and run, if you wanted to nail him to the wall.

No camera and I was frothing with rage. Never got the reg.

No camera and I was frothing with rage. Never got the reg.

I haven't bothered charging my camera for a year. Then the Dublin Bus incident happened last week and first thing I did when I got home was sort out the camera again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Dublin is an anti-cycling, car centric city unfortunately, and will continue to be until major investment is funnelled into cycling infrastructure. It's simply astounding how aggressive and entitled motorists across the city are. An incident at a junction in Ballymun summed it up Saturday night whereby a Garda 4x4 nonchalantly went through a red light, followed by what looked like a privately driven 4x4. No sirens on either vehicle. No f**ks given by either driver. You just have to laugh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement