Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Oh my - swearing like a flipping docker :eek:

It's beyond me how he didn't erupt like a volcano, seriously, that tesco van could have gone much worse only for the cyclist was very alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Lodged a complaint against a bus eireann this evening. A driver of an expressway close passed me on my way home. He beeped me and gave me a fright much to his amusement and then close passed me. I decided to pull up beside his window and he plain refused to acknowledge me. Some prick.
    I don't have any faith that they'll do anything but felt i had to make it known to the company.
    Seriously considering getting a cam.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mc Love wrote: »
    Lodged a complaint against a bus eireann this evening. A driver of an expressway close passed me on my way home. He beeped me and gave me a fright much to his amusement and then close passed me. I decided to pull up beside his window and he plain refused to acknowledge me. Some prick.
    I don't have any faith that they'll do anything but felt i had to make it known to the company.
    Get a FOI request in quickly before they loose the footage. Apparently they are far better at responding to these. Then go to the Gardai, their internal complaints system has been poor to me.

The thing is would the Gardai do anything as I wasn't knocked off my bike. It was clearly intimidating behaviour

The thing is would the Gardai do anything as I wasn't knocked off my bike. It was clearly intimidating behaviour

Depends on the Gardai but if the camera shows intent it would help them to be more proactive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Chase it.

Seriously. There is nothing like a Garda traffic Sergeant calling and asking to speak to the fleet manager requesting driver personals to light a fire under the depot managers proverbial.

The video from onboard will be enough for driving without due care (using the horn is an offence which helps), get the pulse ID and if the Gard assigned is unenthusiastic email Dublin Castle to move it along.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Few weeks ago, weather forecast was showing wet and windy. Woke up around 12 after a night shift to clear dry sunny skies. So off I headed. As I'm spinning along towards Ballyboughal on the R129, VW driving towards me , suddenly became aware of an artic right behind me, he moves out to pass me, uncomfortably close. I gestured my extreme disapproval Mourinho style, and as he cleared me I noticed the VW had braked hard. I shouted my thanks to Mr VW as if he hadn't braked the artic driver would have probably pulled me under. Tried unsuccessfully to catch him but I made a note of the company name. So the following morning I emailed them, no response. That was on a Thurs. Following Tues, I was a bit thick about it so I emailed them again. The transport manager replied asking for my number, he rang & we had a good chat about it. Turns out they have 3 cameras in the cab, he had reviewed the footage & gave the driver a verbal warning. Next step would be a written warning & after that dismissal. I felt at least some satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Do get a cam; it makes drivers much more civil, in general.

Good piece by Irish Cycling here on how to report using GDPR - if it's not already in a sticky, could I request that it be added? http://irishcycle.com/2018/10/21/how-to-request-cctv-from-dublin-bus-using-gdpr/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm still not entirely sure how accurate that irish cycle GDPR thing is.

The footage doesn't actually contain any data that makes a person readily identifiable in the strictest of terms that GDPR is intended for, particularly becasue filming is taking place in a public place.

Footage of you on a public road is not personal Data. If I were Dublin bus, I feel like I'd be well within my right to tell someone to go away.

I would also take customer complaints more seriously though and feel like there should be a formal complaints process etc

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm still not entirely sure how accurate that irish cycle GDPR thing is.

The footage doesn't actually contain any data that makes a person readily identifiable in the strictest of terms that GDPR is intended for, particularly becasue filming is taking place in a public place.

Footage of you on a public road is not personal Data. If I were Dublin bus, I feel like I'd be well within my right to tell someone to go away.

I would also take customer complaints more seriously though and feel like there should be a formal complaints process etc

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data-Protection-CCTV/242.htm
    Recognisable images captured by CCTV systems are personal data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Not really a near miss as such, more blind ignorance - or maybe just blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ferris wrote: »
    Not really a near miss as such, more blind ignorance - or maybe just blind.

That's a terrible light break by the car!!

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Do get a cam; it makes drivers much more civil, in general.

Good piece by Irish Cycling here on how to report using GDPR - if it's not already in a sticky, could I request that it be added? http://irishcycle.com/2018/10/21/how-to-request-cctv-from-dublin-bus-using-gdpr/

I think all road users should have a dashcam. We have one in our car and came very handy when we saw a incident with a bike and car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

I decided to pull up beside his window and he plain refused to acknowledge me.
    Stop in front of him next time!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

homer911 wrote: »
    Stop in front of him next time!
    What if he doesn't stop in time?

It's hardly unusual nowadays though. Every morning at least one drives across a pedestrian green before I am 5 minutes from my house, flip of a coin if people will stop on red at most N11 junctions between 730 and 900 within the first 5 seconds. I used to get annoyed but am guilty of complacency now. I don't even get ready to push off on green as I'll be ready to go far too early.

All drivers are trained in a highly professional manner it is common for drivers to hoot cyclists to give advance warning that they are going to overtake them in a narrow section of the road.

That's the response from Bus Eireann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ah, so you misheard his hoot, it was a friendly one. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

All drivers are trained in a highly professional manner it is common for drivers to hoot cyclists to give advance warning that they are going to overtake them in a narrow section of the road.

Wtf, a 'hoot' absolves them of any wrong doing does it? What a ridiculous statement for them to make. And get that cam, plenty of cheap options out there and they come in handy in situations like the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

That's shocking, a loud unexpected noise is certain to cause more harm than good!
    Using a horn
    Only use a horn to:
    warn other road users of on-coming danger; or make them aware of your presence for safety reasons when reasonably necessary.
    Remember, the horn does not give you the right of way.
    Do not use a horn in a built-up area between 23.30hrs and 07.00hrs unless
    there is a traffic emergency

• Advertisement

What if he doesn't stop in time?

Now your dealing with reality, first mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 28,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's insane - was that an email response? From a named individual or from a generic address?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That’s pretty normal behavior now. Every junction in my way to work from Carpenterstown to the city centre, at least one car per junction will break a red light. Some more. Every single junction almost without fail. So Myos pub, coming down the hill, 2 or 3 not unusual - across a green man as well where there’s school kids crossing. Auburn Avenue in Castleknock, 2 or 3 on a red pretty normal. At the end of the park at park gate street, it’s almost comical the cars from chapelizod breaking reds - you can count to 5 plus and still have 2 or 3 coming at you well after a red. They even put in a new set of lights at the bus stataion, presumably to address this. But without enforcement and consequences it’s a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    That’s pretty normal behavior now. Every junction in my way to work from Carpenterstown to the city centre, at least one car per junction will break a red light. Some more. Every single junction almost without fail. So Myos pub, coming down the hill, 2 or 3 not unusual - across a green man as well where there’s school kids crossing. Auburn Avenue in Castleknock, 2 or 3 on a red pretty normal. At the end of the park at park gate street, it’s almost comical the cars from chapelizod breaking reds - you can count to 5 plus and still have 2 or 3 coming at you well after a red. They even put in a new set of lights at the bus stataion, presumably to address this. But without enforcement and consequences it’s a waste of money.

Same on my route, there are particular junctions where it's, as you say, almost comical. Leonards Corner has a massive delay between lights going red and pedestrian lights going green, and even still you have cars going through after the green man is on. N81 to Templeogue bridge, Sundrive cross, Harolds Cross park, Patrick St/Bride road, Christ Church junction, etc, all will have average 3 cars speeding through after the other direction has green. It's mental.

Wtf, a 'hoot' absolves them of any wrong doing does it? What a ridiculous statement for them to make. And get that cam, plenty of cheap options out there and they come in handy in situations like the above.

Got any suggestions Alan? Wouldnt need anything too expensive as its only a 15 min each way cycle
    That's insane - was that an email response? From a named individual or from a generic address?

Named (first name anyway) from the Service Managers Office

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Got any suggestions Alan? Wouldnt need anything too expensive as its only a 15 min each way cycle

+1, looking for a cheap one myself. Had some very close calls recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    That’s pretty normal behavior now. Every junction in my way to work from Carpenterstown to the city centre, at least one car per junction will break a red light.
    i had a funny one yesterday; dunno if you know the pinch point on philipsburgh avenue. it narrows to the point where only one direction of traffic can move through a light controlled junction at one time.
    anyway, yesterday i was approaching the lights, and at least 50m away when they started to go amber. so i immediately started to slow down; the motorist behind me parped the horn at me, and the next thing she comes flying past at high revs and blasts through the light a couple of seconds after it had gone red. i caught up with her at the top of the avenue, having waited at the red, and then having waited to let a van reversing out of a spot, so it *was* worth the stupid manouevre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭xckjoo

SJCAM is a decent choice. Cheaper brands are a false economy I think. Go for a slightly older model to save some money. It's a GoPro style camera so you can use it for other things too. Or just tell yourself you will to justify the purchase :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Couple of near misses spotted from behind the steering wheel the other day. Waiting to turn right at a junction in light traffic. Car in front waits for oncoming car to pass, pauses, and then executes almost perfect right hook on oncoming cyclist. The car just jammed on in time to avoid smashing the cyclist. My passenger was not surprised by the reckless manoeuver as I had started describing what the eejit in front was about to do before the first car had passed in an increasingly loud and, I'm not proud to say, sweary manner. Do people have to be so predictable?

Second incident of the same journey was almost the same as magicbastarder's tale above. I was approaching a light, it started to change, and having anticipated this I assessed that I could stop in time. However, the car behind anticipated that the car in front (me) would simply go through the red, and in that now familiar tradition, the following cars would also be entitled to break the red. My stopping at the red was not anticipated by the following car so they ended up standing on the brakes and sliding into the bus lane to the left of me, narrowly missing the back of my car. I glanced over at an angry looking man in the other car and pointed towards the red lights. He shook his head and failed to adopt a sunnier disposition before the lights turned green again. He subsequently took off like a scalded cat and weaved across a number of lanes without indicating. I suppose I can only blame myself for my unpredictably law abiding behaviour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

check_six wrote: »
    Couple of near misses spotted from behind the steering wheel the other day. Waiting to turn right at a junction in light traffic. Car in front waits for oncoming car to pass, pauses, and then executes almost perfect right hook on oncoming cyclist. The car just jammed on in time to avoid smashing the cyclist. My passenger was not surprised by the reckless manoeuver as I had started describing what the eejit in front was about to do before the first car had passed in an increasingly loud and, I'm not proud to say, sweary manner. Do people have to be so predictable?

Second incident of the same journey was almost the same as magicbastarder's tale above. I was approaching a light, it started to change, and having anticipated this I assessed that I could stop in time. However, the car behind anticipated that the car in front (me) would simply go through the red, and in that now familiar tradition, the following cars would also be entitled to break the red. My stopping at the red was not anticipated by the following car so they ended up standing on the brakes and sliding into the bus lane to the left of me, narrowly missing the back of my car. I glanced over at an angry looking man in the other car and pointed towards the red lights. He shook his head and failed to adopt a sunnier disposition before the lights turned green again. He subsequently took off like a scalded cat and weaved across a number of lanes without indicating. I suppose I can only blame myself for my unpredictably law abiding behaviour!

Some day your law abiding behaviour might be awarded a €20K payout ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement