Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Two left hooks this morning. Both were almost identical situations. Heading towards a light that’s just gone green and traffic moving off, I pass a car going nowhere as they’re buried in their phone and haven’t seen the cars in front move off. Next thing I know they’re speeding past, and then late indicator and hard left. Was still a little spooked from the first one at KCR when the exact same situation, phone and all, happened on the canal.

I know people bang on about modern cars having Bluetooth, etc. But it’s all people texting or on the internet. It’s unbelievably widespread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I know people bang on about modern cars having Bluetooth, etc. But it’s all people texting or on the internet. It’s unbelievably widespread too.

Yeah, really widespread. And when people are called on it they get defensive.

A while back I was walking across a pedestrian crossing, on a phone call, when a woman broke the light and almost hit me, clearly on her phone and looking at the screen. When I called her on it her excuse was so what, I was on my phone as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, really widespread. And when people are called on it they get defensive.

A while back I was walking across a pedestrian crossing, on a phone call, when a woman broke the light and almost hit me, clearly on her phone and looking at the screen. When I called her on it her excuse was so what, I was on my phone as well.

She has a point to an extent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

:rolleyes: Jesus christ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Two left hooks this morning. Both were almost identical situations. Heading towards a light that’s just gone green and traffic moving off, I pass a car going nowhere as they’re buried in their phone and haven’t seen the cars in front move off. Next thing I know they’re speeding past, and then late indicator and hard left. Was still a little spooked from the first one at KCR when the exact same situation, phone and all, happened on the canal.

I had something similar not too long ago. A SUV which was blocking the cycle lane too had missed that cars had pulled off due to them on their phone- so I was blocked in. Anyway, eventually they pulled off and he tore off through the light on amber and I missed it. Caught up with the car at the next junction and he was still using his phone a good kilometre later. Anyway I got a butchers as I cycled past and it was a certain RTE soccer pundit who had famously scored in UEFA European U-18 Third place Play off

• Advertisement

I did say to an extent

He wasn't paying 100% attention
    So much stupid. So much...

Pedestrian on a crossing...

Zulu wrote: »

You're not making any argument here

Personally I prefer to stay off the phone when crossing the road

The country is full of kamikaze drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,708 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The country is full of kamikaze drivers

It won't generally be themselves that they kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Crossing or no crossing, you still have to pay due care when crossing.
    You can't blindly walk across, well you can but you be incredibly stupid to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You can't blindly walk across, well you can but you be incredibly stupid to do it.
    That would be stupid, so would somersaulting or crawling across, none of which seems to be the case or relevant here.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    That would be stupid, so would somersaulting or crawling across, none of which seems to be the case or relevant here.

Point is

Taking into consideration the roads are full of drivers ignoring the law.

Onus is on the pedestrian to be 100% aware on the road

You're not making any argument here...
    I shouldn't need to. I really, really shouldn't.

Your assertion that a person traveling ~4 kpmh on a pedestrian crossing shares (is in some small part) the responsibility is preposterous. Because. The level of attention required when walking is nowhere need the amount required when driving - hence the poster spotted the car and (it would appear) that the driver didn't spot the pedestrian.

Ergo your post & point were stupid. Very, very, stupid. And in someways I'm worst for going to the trouble of spelling it out.

It would appear that the OP did pay due care - remember, they spotted the car, did not get knocked down, and even had time to notice that the driver was on the phone. So clearly they were paying enough attention. The same can not be said of the driver, or some posters suggesting that the OP was either not paying enough attention, paying due care, or partly responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

The OP said they were on a call (using their ears) whereas the driver was looking at the phone (using their eyes).

I find I can look around me while on a call, less so while posting to boards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It would appear that the OP did pay due care - remember, they spotted the car, did not get knocked down, and even had time to notice that the driver was on the phone. So clearly they were paying enough attention. The same can not be said of the driver, or some posters suggesting that the OP was either not paying enough attention, paying due care, or partly responsible.

I wasn't just referring to the OP, it was a general statement that we need to pay attention.

Alot of the time on here I get the impression that people seem to think they don't need to pay attention on the road because they have the right of way.

I wasn't just referring to the OP, it was a general statement that we need to pay attention.

Alot of the time on here I get the impression that people seem to think they don't need to pay attention on the road because they have the right of way.
    We're still in the "Near Misses" thread right? :confused:

I'd have said that here, of all places, is full of people who recognise that they need to pay more attention. You're preaching to the choir here.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

TheChizler wrote: »

Point is

Taking into consideration the roads are full of drivers ignoring the law.

Onus is on the pedestrian to be 100% aware on the road
    No. 
    The onus is on the licensed driver of a fast moving multi-tonne vehicle "to be 100% aware on the road."
    The fact that so many drivers are negligent in their responsibilities, and terms of their license, does not move any of those responsibilities over to other road users. 
    The fact that other road users need to assume the responsibilities that belong to licensed drivers, in order to avoid injury and death, is a gross infringement of our rights to use the road and we must all fight against it. Anything else is a ceding of our rights.

double post, please remove

Steoller wrote: »
    No. 
    The onus is on the licensed driver of a fast moving multi-tonne vehicle "to be 100% aware on the road."
    The fact that so many drivers are negligent in their responsibilities, and terms of their license, does not move any of those responsibilities over to other road users. 
    The fact that other road users need to assume the responsibilities that belong to licensed drivers, in order to avoid injury and death, is a gross infringement of our rights to use the road and we must all fight against it. Anything else is a ceding of our rights.

I prefer to deal with the realities of the current situation re: drivers on the phone and careless driving

20,000 in court is no good if you've 2 broken legs

I prefer to deal with the realities of the current situation re: drivers on the phone and careless driving

20,000 in court is no good if you've 2 broken legs
    The reality of the situation is that drivers break the rules of the road and the law daily with impunity. Simply accepting that, and chastising others for not accepting that, does not improve the situation.

What does 20,000 and broken legs have to do with anything we've been talking about? (also the sentence makes no sense; 20,000 would be great to have if someone had broken my legs by their carelessness. It would do the world of good. Who wouldn't want 20,000 for 8 weeks off work?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

So you think it's ok to ignore red lights and knock people down as long as the pedestrian is on the phone?

"I'm not sorry or responsible your honour, at the time I knocked down and killed that child, they were looking at their mother, not paying attention to my car, which was about to speed through a red light. They must bear some responsibility for me not obeying multiple traffic laws."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Majorly.

My luas back into town today came to a stop just after harcourt and started beeping. Looked up front and there was a car reversing back out of the way. As we passed said motorist, there he was with his phone still stuck to his face.
    Blatant, and couldn't give a f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Majorly.

My luas back into town today came to a stop just after harcourt and started beeping. Looked up front and there was a car reversing back out of the way. As we passed said motorist, there he was with his phone still stuck to his face.
    Blatant, and couldn't give a f*ck.

My office window overlooks a major junction in the IFSC with the Luas. Aside from being incredibly distracting, I can see down directly into cars and its so bizarre how many people pull up to stop and whip out their phones, have a scroll through Facebook or whatever site, lights go green, they delay, but then continue to bury their head in their phone as they move off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Heading home this evening through the Phoenix Park - cycle lanes chock a block with pedestrians heading to something on in the zoo. All the little ones and there ma’s and da’s offloading from their cars.

“Oh look, a cyclist”. “Hey, that light is very bright”. “Watch where you’re cycling - there’s kids about”.

The joys of cycling in a cycling lane in Ireland, facing people who’ve just come from their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

Deliveroo cyclist down under a left turning private coach at fitzwilliam place/leeson street.

Bike didnt look bad, but the cyclist was being attended to, very close to the front wheel of the bus. Police and fire brigade in attendance.

Hoping for the best, but it didn't look good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Heading home this evening through the Phoenix Park - cycle lanes chock a block with pedestrians heading to something on in the zoo. All the little ones and there ma’s and da’s offloading from their cars.

“Oh look, a cyclist”. “Hey, that light is very bright”. “Watch where you’re cycling - there’s kids about”.

The joys of cycling in a cycling lane in Ireland, facing people who’ve just come from their cars.

The park is a disaster in fairness... the much disputed position of the cycle lane/path along the avenue. I would personally remove all the parking along it and put in proper lanes..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Last year they did a lot of publicity and a general 'careful now' message: "the park’s management are asking people cycling to be mindful of families crossing the cycle path in the hours of darkness. Flood lighting is also being provided."

http://irishcycle.com/2017/11/03/park-users-asked-to-be-mindful-as-night-time-dublin-zoo-event-starts/

I haven't seen anything similar this year at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

[Not mine]

Two in one, Tesco first then run off the road at Rathmines Garda Station (yesterday evening)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

ED E wrote: »
    [Not mine]

Two in one, Tesco first then run off the road at Rathmines Garda Station (yesterday evening)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUt58tpzPhU

52s and 3m15s for the impatient :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ED E wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUt58tpzPhU
    Oh my - swearing like a flipping docker :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement