Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack outside UK Houses Of Parliament — No speculation — Read 1st post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

January wrote: »
    Whoever was taking some of those pictures of the victims need a serious word in their ear.

A big part of me agrees with you in that they should try to offer some comfort or assistance to the victims but on the other side it's the type of society that we have now created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

A big part of me agrees with you in that they should try to offer some comfort or assistance to the victims but on the other side it's the type of society that we have now created.

"now created"?

People have been photographing the spoils of war for well over a century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

There is no need to take pictures of people bleeding, possibly to death, in the street, no matter where in the world it is. Everyone deserves decency if they are injured or dying. I'm sure if it was one of your family members you'd feel it wrong to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kyogger

No prizes for guessing the religious faith of the assailant

There is no need to take pictures of people bleeding, possibly to death, in the street, no matter where in the world it is. Everyone deserves decency if they are injured or dying. I'm sure if it was one of your family members you'd feel it wrong to do so.

I'm sure I wouldn't.

It's right and proper that this is documented. Otherwise we can pretend it's not happening.

These photos should be on the front of every paper tomorrow. Every. Paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can't believe Sky are showing the pic of the guy down at the bottom of the steps, the man would have family, complete disrespect.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im all for showing the pictures once there is nothing that can be done to save people.

The world needs to see them. If you disagree you just want hide and live in the comfort zone thinking we all live in a lovely planet. Im not saying people should feel guilt and worry 24/7, but people need too see what the human race is doing to one another and all in name of some person that might not even exist

kyogger wrote: »
    No prizes for guessing the religious faith of the assailant

Jehova's Witness?

Buddhist?

Evangelical Christian?

Pagan?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Shocking that an editor of a reputable site would take a decision to put some of them online at this stage.

It's fuelled by people viewing them, best thing to do is to try to avoid searching for/sharing images or videos from the event like this, even just to respect those caught up in a horrific event as they just go about their daily life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

Can't believe Sky are showing the pic of the guy down at the bottom of the steps, the man would have family, complete disrespect.
    Exactly, he could be homeless and his family don't want to know.

• Advertisement

that's right,

pretend it didn't happen.

People who have been the victims of terror attacks by muslim fundamentalists bleed and die,

That is the reality

it's not all fluffy tellytubby land

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Can't beat some internet point scoring after a tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

"now created"?

People have been photographing the spoils of war for well over a century.

I accept that they have been but these were photographers who were sent there for that very purpose! If that was your wife, husband or child caught up in that attack what do you think should have been the appropriate action of the bystander?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Whoever was taking some of those pictures of the victims need a serious word in their ear.

I don't agree with this. Throughout photo history events that are not tasteful are documented.

The victims are being assisted and the photographer is documenting it.

Following your logic we should only document pleasant events.

We would have no historical record of events like 911, Vietnam, Iraq, WW2 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,597 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Policeman deceased according to this,
    https://twitter.com/TerrorEvents

I accept that they have been but these were photographers who were sent there for that very purpose! If that was your wife, husband or child caught up in that attack what do you think should have been the appropriate action of the bystander?

document and allow the professionals to help

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Hunky Monster - Do not post in this thread again, you have an agenda in what you are posting which is derailing the thread.

I don't agree with his point at all but chill, let him say his piece and engage in a debate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

Don't get involved or you could be sued!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Im all for showing the pictures once there is nothing that can be done to save people.

The world needs to see them.

Maybe family members would like to know their husband, boyfriend, son, friend has died horrifically in some other way than seeing their bloodied body on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

that's right,

pretend it didn't happen.

People who have been the victims of terror attacks by muslim fundamentalists bleed and die,

That is the reality

it's not all fluffy tellytubby land

Showing respect for the people involved is not pretending it didn't happen, if someone needs to see graphic images of victims to reinforce the horror of the event then I would question their attachment to reality.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't agree with this. Throughout photo history events that are not tasteful are documented.

The victims are being assisted and the photographer is documenting it.

Following your logic we should only document pleasant events.

We would have no historical record of events like 911, Vietnam, Iraq, WW2 etc

Not at all, by all means, photograph the event, the aftermath etc. But there are absolutely no need for photos such as the ones being shown on Reuters at the moment. Those poor people's families may not even be notified their loved ones are injured/dead and they could see it online before they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is the people who were attacked today that one has to feel for, innocent people going about their lives, maybe work, leisure, on holidays, a police man working to earn some money for himself and maybe his family.
    Every time this happens, one has to think how senseless it all is, and none of us know when these things could happen, it is the luck of the draw.
    It is just so sad, senseless and evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Maybe family members would like to know their husband, boyfriend, son, friend has died horrifically in some other way than seeing their bloodied body on TV.
    You want the family to be told a lie?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Please don't speculate as to the ethnicity of the perpetrators.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

What? You're misreading that completely. I wouldn't want to know a family member died by seeing their photo online before I'd even had a phone call/knock on the door by the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What sort of craziness are you looking at this from? Are you purposely missing the point, or are you really this silly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Christy42

No. Don't show the pictures, no one knows who is dead yet and no lie told. They get contacted by authorities and informed by them. Once that has happened or they can't contact them in a reasonable time frame the pictures are shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

CNN say dozens of people injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Can't beat some internet point scoring after a tragedy.

You get a point for this

Advertisement