Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Martin McGuinness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

jh79 wrote: »
    So what term apllies to the Real IRA? I'm not on their side either , can I call them terrorists ? Dissident seems a bit soft for what they have done.

No, but you have gerrys permission to call them dissident freedom fighters. But totally unlike their big brothers in the IRA the real Ira like to bomb, shoot and batter anyone that disagrees with them whereas the Ira liked to ....... oh wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,113 ✭✭✭✭Esel

MiH › MrM :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Esel wrote: »
    That link is an amazing, enlightening analysis.

You can actually link loyalist killings with the security forces. 85% of target information was obtained from the security forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,585 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

timthumbni wrote: »
    Wasn't overly concerned about Arlene going one way or the other. Considering her own very personal traumas caused by the IRA not once, but twice then I certainly wouldn't have blamed her for not going.

Re sincere It would seem so. She would have had a lot of pressure not to attend I'm sure, so the fact she did go seems genuine.

Certainly more genuine than www.gerry.com turning the graveside oration into some sort of weird live party political broadcast.

She was there as a leader representing the DUP and it's supporters. Huge move forward if sincere.

Did Adams mention SF once even? I thought he spoke in general republican terms myself but you were obviously listening very close!y if you heard a party political broadcast.
    I thought the sf logo was a bit Ott, hardly the crime of the century given what had gone before. I think the world knew one of SFs stalwart leaders was being buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

So what term apllies to the Real IRA? I'm not on their side either , can I call them terrorists ? Dissident seems a bit soft for what they have done.

They're people that have profited from the troubles and continue to do so, so it's in their interest to keep the "war" going on any front. They're not the provo's, there was a small group of ex-provos that started them up after the split of 1986, these lads are probably dead, retired or in jail. These "New IRA and RIRA, CIRA" are nothing but muppets trained in "story bud wanna few pills?"

Call them terrorists, drug dealers or what ever, the last of the original provos that started the RIRA is retired. The rest are dead or in jail.

Any muppet aged "23" that comes before the special criminal court as a member of the "IRA" is not, they don't know the meaning of the IRA and are full of shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No, but you have gerrys permission to call them dissident freedom fighters. But totally unlike their big brothers in the IRA the real Ira like to bomb, shoot and batter anyone that disagrees with them whereas the Ira liked to ....... oh wait..

He was speaking at the funeral of his friend. I don't think he cared what hardcore unionists think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Christy's performance was very moving I thought.

Whatever you want. As the British and Loyalists have laid down their weapons, criminals would cover them perfectly adequately.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    He was speaking at the funeral of his friend. I don't think he cared what hardcore unionists think.

I don't think he cares what any shade of unionist think either at his buddy's funeral or not. And if he going to go all ohh ahh up the ra then why even bother referring to unionists at all?

He's like that embarrassing uncle at family weddings that has a few too many and then makes a show of himself during the speeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The fact of the matter was that the people least likely to be killed during the troubles were Protestant/Unionist civilians and those most likely to be killed were Security Forces by the PIRA and Catholic civilians by unionist paramilitaries.

Some people have this bizarre image that the troubles was a fight between the IRA and unionist paramilitaries. Unionist paramilitaries killed more of each other feuding than they did PIRA. PIRA blew more of themselves up in premature explosions than killed unionist paramilitaries.

• Advertisement

I don't think he cares what any shade of unionist think either at his buddy's funeral or not. And if he going to go all ohh ahh up the ra then why even bother referring to unionists at all?

He's like that embarrassing uncle at family weddings that has a few too many and then makes a show of himself during the speeches.

He and his buddy were instrumental in dismantling the Unionist sectarian state, he was right and justified in mentioning that at his friends funeral. Wasn't somebody decrying 'airbrushing' earlier.
    Time Unionists grew up and stopped spitting the dummy out every time somebody mentions the RA.
    He mentioned a lot of other stuff too including what was required of republicans.

Sorry, but saying positive things then more or less the equivalent of singing ooh ahh up the ra yeohhhhh to please the more simpleton types in the crowd is just plain weird. Why did he even bother? I genuinely hope that Adams sticks around for a lot longer as he seems to drop himself in it every time he opens his gnashers to speak.

All this really sailed over your wee narrow minded personae didn't it? Luckily it seems you're not in a position of responsibilty as regards the governance of NI. Carry on with your sillyness & self gratification.

All this really sailed over your wee narrow minded personae didn't it? Luckily it seems you're not in a position of responsibilty as regards the governance of NI. Carry on with your sillyness & self gratification.

Tim voted against the Good Friday Agreement and probably thinks Sinn Fein shouldn't be governing. How do you reason with people with such views?

He and his buddy were instrumental in dismantling the Unionist sectarian state, he was right and justified in mentioning that at his friends funeral. Wasn't somebody decrying 'airbrushing' earlier.
    Time Unionists grew up and stopped spitting the dummy out every time somebody mentions the RA.

He and his buddy were instrumental in supporting the IRA murder of children, women and men in NI, the republic and mainland uk and further afield.

And I'm sure the IRA blowing up of 2 wee boys outside a mcdonalds in a northern English town in the 90s really helped dismantle the state. The IRAs one and only goal was Brits out and a UI. Both of which they failed at by blowing kids up and shooting a young recently new mother in the head because they were census workers and Protestant.(j matters) (Wasn't that in mcguinness patch btw?) I wonder if he had any information about that one?????

It should be required reading in journalism school and read by a few in this parish but you know they don't want to know.

He and his buddy were instrumental in supporting the IRA murder of children, women and men in NI, the republic and mainland uk and further afield.

And I'm sure the IRA blowing up of 2 wee boys outside a mcdonalds in a northern English town in the 90s really helped dismantle the state. The IRAs one and only goal was Brits out and a UI. Both of which they failed at by blowing kids up and shooting a young recently new mother in the head because they were census workers and Protestant.(j matters) (Wasn't that in mcguinness patch btw?) I wonder if he had any information about that one?????

Do you want a list of what else happened and who else got killed?
    Had you guys governed properly and had the British not supported you until you **** in that nest too NONE of it would have happened.

The fact of the matter was that the people least likely to be killed during the troubles were Protestant/Unionist civilians and those most likely to be killed were Security Forces by the PIRA and Catholic civilians by unionist paramilitaries.

Some people have this bizarre image that the troubles was a fight between the IRA and unionist paramilitaries. Unionist paramilitaries killed more of each other feuding than they did PIRA. PIRA blew more of themselves up in premature explosions than killed unionist paramilitaries.

The UDA, UVF had relatively little contact with the IRA during the conflict apart from a few bombs here and there, the IRA were in conflict with MI5 and British security forces passing intelligence to Orange gangs styling themselves as paramilitaries, they killed more of their own than they did nationalists or the IRA.

The only thing I can think of during the troubles that was definitely a propaganda operation by the British security forces, was the admiration from the likes of UTV and the BBC, lifting "Johnny MAD DOG Adare" into the spotlight as the defender of the north from the evil secretive IRA, him and the UDA were put on a pedestal and his big tattoos and volly shots by the "resistance" were something to be feared.

But they soon started killing each other and the news coverage ended... abruptly...

Tim did you read Jo Berry's tweet? Because this repetitive self gratifying sh*te from you is particularly pathetic and cringe inducing at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

This is all very angry for a RIP thread.

Yes we all know about his terrorist past, but may I suggest now is not the time to be dragging it up & concentrating on it. He became peaceful & political in the second stage of his life, and for that we can all be thankful ... seems to be the thrust of the argument many people have been making at this moment in time.

What struck me about yesterday's events was the handshake between Arlene Foster & Michelle O'Neil, that was nice to see, considering . . . .
    It was also nice to hear Adams urging Republicans to be nice & friendly to Unionists! That really was a nice thing to hear. Better late than never I guess.

It all went off very well I thought.

It seems that in the minds of republicans narrow minded means not accepting the current SF line. Whatever that happens to be at any particular time.

They also think it is narrow minded not to think what was going through the wee poor downtrodden Ira mans head as he planted a bomb in a busy street, bus station etc packed with women, men and children.

I've said before I don't feel the need to thank anyone because they suddenly decide that blowing people up or shooting them in the back isn't working or going down too well with "world opinion".

Hence why I was honest and said I had little respect for mcguiness and I suspect if I or anyone else know the full extent of his actions I would have even less.

It's time republicans stop asking for thanks for stopping murdering people and then saying "look at me helping peace by not killing people anymore"

I didn't claim to be involved with the governance of NI. This is a fecking internet message board after all. Its good to hear from all opinions especially as I am an actual Norn Iron unionist. Otherwise this thread would be like a republican circle jerk ffs...

• Advertisement

Tim did you read Jo Berry's tweet? Because this repetitive self gratifying sh*te from you is particularly pathetic and cringe inducing at this stage.

Tim only reads the Gospel According To Loyalism :D

What he fails to see is that most reasonable decent people believe now that the greater good was served. They were represented at the funeral yesterday.

Tim voted against the Good Friday Agreement and probably thinks Sinn Fein shouldn't be governing. How do you reason with people with such views?

Yes, I was against the release of republican and loyalist terrorists as part of the GFA. As were quite a number of people from all sides of the political divide.

What of it? It was a open referendum for the people of NI, not a SF ard fheis.

Ye sound very snobbish sometimes. Think ye have been away from Norn Iron too long and got ideas of yerself..

Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and Labour all came from freedom fighter backgrounds as did SF, don't was't your breath on this, some people don't understand politics in this country. All politics came from violence here, there, and every where. Below is a synopsis of our little country. And the "dissidents" that call themselves the IRA. Eamonn Gilmore and Rabbitte were from the red side originally.

412732.PNG

Tim only reads the Gospel According To Loyalism :D

What he fails to see is that most reasonable decent people believe now that the greater good was served. They were represented at the funeral yesterday.

Another republican fail Francine. If you had been a long term reader of my other posts (as you claim to have done) you would know I care not a jot for loyalists and lump them in with the Irish republican terrorists such as the Ira, inla, real Ira, Ciara, the new Ira, the I can't believe it's not the Ira etc etc.

What of it?

You're on the wrong side of history and are one of an ever-decreasing number of paleo-unionists.
    Ye sound very snobbish sometimes.

Huh? The way I write is it?

Yes, did you read the comments of Julie Hambleton or Norman Tebbitt????

All valid points of view of course? Not just the one you liked.

You're on the wrong side of history and are one of an ever-decreasing number of paleo-unionists.

I don't think being against terrorist violence is the wrong side of history to be honest. Anyway, luckily for you you don't even live in NI anymore. (At least I think it was you that high tailed it.. so many angry republicans to keep track of on here) apologies if I have the wrong one. (Thumbs up)

It seems that in the minds of republicans narrow minded means not accepting the current SF line. Whatever that happens to be at any particular time.

They also think it is narrow minded not to think what was going through the wee poor downtrodden Ira mans head as he planted a bomb in a busy street, bus station etc packed with women, men and children.

I've said before I don't feel the need to thank anyone because they suddenly decide that blowing people up or shooting them in the back isn't working or going down too well with "world opinion".

Hence why I was honest and said I had little respect for mcguiness and I suspect if I or anyone else know the full extent of his actions I would have even less.

It's time republicans stop asking for thanks for stopping murdering people and then saying "look at me helping peace by not killing people anymore"

I didn't claim to be involved with the governance of NI. This is a fecking internet message board after all. Its good to hear from all opinions especially as I am an actual Norn Iron unionist. Otherwise this thread would be like a republican circle jerk ffs...

Jaysus Tim. Arlene Foster was applauded when she entered the church yesterday. Are you opposed to this "thanks" as well? The troubles would still be going if you were in charge.....

Another republican fail Francine. If you had been a long term reader of my other posts (as you claim to have done) you would know I care not a jot for loyalists and lump them in with the Irish republican terrorists such as the Ira, inla, real Ira, Ciara, the new Ira, the I can't believe it's not the Ira etc etc.

Well why the fantasy loyalist 'it was themuns' rethoric?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Paley-unionist?

These ****ing food fads.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement