Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Bards wrote: »
    Hello John Cummins

I have to be a FG General Election Candidate to come on here and highlight what has been funds and committed to??? I'm not making any of that up - it's all fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I have to say, it's difficult reading this thread at the best of times. Yes, FG didn't do everything right over the last few years but it's hard to understand how people think they did nothing for Waterford. Two Primary Care Centres were built, multiple new schools (Educate Together, Tramore), a new Library in Carrickphierish, St. Patrick's Hospital, John's College, the new Court House, the morgue has started. I know the Cardiac Care issue is not yet resolved but planning has been approved for a new unit and funding provided to extend staffing 8am - 8pm, 7 days a week. The new engineering building in WIT is due to start shortly. Mount Congreve got a huge funding boast recently to build a really impressive new centre and upgrade the current gardens and house. And while North Quays haven't received full funding as of yet, it was mentioned in the manifesto - no other project was noted! And remember, out of the all the projects that were given funding under the Urban Regional Development Fund (URDF - the fund that was actually set up as a result of the NQs), the North Quays received the single largest amount. I know the issue with TUSE is frustrating - but this is delayed due to internal bickering between Carlow and Waterford. I'm not delighted with FG either but come on...

We need to elect ff and fg td's to cover ourselves, this is essential IMO, I know I, like many others will be doing so somewhat reluctantly, but do we want representation at next government.sf or maybe even green worth a vote too just in off chance they are king makers.
    Add....north quays on eco eye tonight, all positive talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

FF have no policy for the North Quays and the next deadline is almost up. Waste of six million already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Bards

vriesmays wrote: »
    FF have no policy for the North Quays and the next deadline is almost up. Waste of six million already.

FG will never get elected in Waterford ever again if this falls through after all their imminent promises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They will alas but only one, if this does go tits up certainly they'll pay a price and the left will bag two seats next time.

• Advertisement

I saw in the news and star article that ff when asked by news and star have committed to existing all NDP commitments. The news and star like a strong, bordering on sensationalist headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Max Powers wrote: »
    I saw in the news and star article that ff when asked by news and star have committed to existing all NDP commitments. The news and star like a strong, bordering on sensationalist headline.

My head says the project is safe, but as a Waterford native in permanent hurt, my heart says the complete opposite.

It would be complete chaos if new Governments came in and started ripping up agreements made under previous governments.

No one would do business in a country that operates like that.

I'm still worried though.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Deiseen wrote: »
    My head says the project is safe, but as a Waterford native in permanent hurt, my heart says the complete opposite.

It would be complete chaos if new Governments came in and started ripping up agreements made under previous governments.

No one would do business in a country that operates like that.

I'm still worried though.

By that logic, it surely is on thin ice.

My uncle is an estate agent in Waterford and he says that the contract for Michael street still isn’t signed

Rob Cass on Twitter that funding is confirmed yet in another tweet he’s giving out about politicians for not doing enough to secure funding.

I only got to read that article this morning and I think there’s enough in there to worry about. It says there was already a deadline that was extended. It says the next one is around the corner. It says that FF have already been critical of the 2040 plan so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that they will carve it up and reduce the commitment to the NQ

I don’t think Falcon will go anywhere until they get their planning permission. The site is worth a lot more with that planning. Either way, we’re in for a big delay unless FG get in nationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's amazing how popular kites become during elections!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It's amazing how popular kites become during elections!

That particular kite isn't that popular as only one group seems to be flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Muttley79

Either Leo is a dirty liar which is a possibility!!
    Or a small time reporter is making a wally of himself sensationalising headlines to flog a few newspapers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Either Leo is a dirty liar which is a possibility!!
    Or a small time reporter is making a wally of himself sensationalising headlines to flog a few newspapers!!

The sensationalizing of headlines have been going on for a while now in a certain local paper, i take anything printed in it with a pinch of salt.

Jim Nolan should write a new play: Waiting for the North Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

There’s huge naivety on this thread. I’d say that Rob Cass himself would agree that the project is on thin ice - so the headline is spot on.

No funding at all in 2019.
    Fianna F leading the polls and haven’t given any serious commitments to the project and have never commented on the funding of it.
    More importantly - the article and rob Cass have said that there are deadlines in the contract regarding the funding. If the developers get fed up waiting cause I assume with every day that passes it costs them more and more......they’re going to head off. And do you still think it’s not on thin ice then?

Maybe MAYBE it’ll all be good if Fine Gael get back in. MAYBE.

You’re all in cloud cuckoo land

Francois Hennebique will be turning in his grave after what the council did to his building for this pie-in-the-sky development.

Francois Hennebique will be turning in his grave after what the council did to his building for this pie-in-the-sky development.

Makes a change, You are usually scathing of immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

This Fianna Gael good,Fianna Fáil bad commentary is becoming tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dexpat

jelutong wrote: »
    This Fianna Gael good,Fianna Fáil bad commentary is becoming tiresome.

I don't know where you can get that from reading the thread. It's a lot more nuanced than that. It's been stated many times that Fine Gael and Fianna Fail have been, and will continue to be bad for Waterford due to our small representation in the Dail and the largely ineffective/uselessness of our public representatives.

Specifically in relation to the NQ it's probably fair to say that if FG are in government there is probably a greater than 50% chance of the project progressing. If FF get in, it's less than 50% (and probably a lot less). That's all. It's not an endorsement of FG but is based on what the developers have said.

We all know that not a penny was provided during 2019 but that over, nothing can be done about that. It's what happens in the future that's important. As has been said by others the development could be in trouble anyway whoever gets in. However on the balance of probabilities, a change of government now would be bad for the project. God knows it would be good for a lot of other reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Your new tactical digs are good. You have upped your game quiet fella fair play to ya.

Francis heenebique building was an eyesore and nit fit for an other purpose other than its original purpose. And I don't think that was ever going to be introduced again

• Advertisement

If that project goes ahead you'll see a real eyesore in a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Then it will be time for more money to renew it ..... good!

:D

Is this the advice that your ex-wife's friends gave to her about your wedding?

They advised me to leave before the town turns into the second highest unemployment region with everyone looking across the river at tumbleweed while waiting for the next issue of the N&S with updates on the latest planning extension.

They advised me to leave before the town turns into the second highest unemployment region with everyone looking across the river at tumbleweed while waiting for the next issue of the N&S with updates on the latest planning extension.

Hate to tell you this buddy, but it sounds like they wanted you as far away from them as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Michael Walsh says “it’s absolutely imperative that we have a decision within the next two months, by the end of March”.

Current Government spokesperson says "With talks set to go on for weeks, the spokesperson also revealed the Government would not be making any "major financial or policy decisions" until a new administration was formed."

Going to be an interesting few weeks. I'd say two things,

1 - The chances of Fawaz Alhockair selling this design once planning is approved and getting the hell out of dodge have increased substantially.

2 - The chances of this commencing before the end of the year have gone out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Bards

hardybuck wrote: »
    If there were no guarantees at present then nothing would change? The 2020 budget has been set out and the 2021 plans were always up for discussion in any event.

20 year plans are for public officials and their Offices to progress over successive Governments.

What might become a speed bump is the time it takes to form a new Government. Last time it took three months, at the start of summer. While Civil Servants keep things moving in the interim, obviously the disruption can slow things down.

Do you still hold this view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Jesus I'm genuinely quite worried about the prospect of this not happening. Waterford City really need this development.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭invara

What Hardy Buck outlines is how it should be done... but a Minister can move money in a budget, there is year end money etc....

So for example last December, Education had money left over at year end. The Dept of Education confirms the number of primary and secondary students in in October, which fixes the number of teachers needed (all that is set out in ratios), the Government always has to provide for more than it will need. Convey took great pleasure in bringing home that bacon to Cork.

Covney tweeted: 12:45 PM · Dec 17, 2019

"Delighted Govt announced today €18.75m for capital investment in @CIT_ie
    Bishopstown campus, built in 1974, this money is a huge investment to upgrade facilities to help the continued growth in STEM provision #MTU @THEA_irl #Cork "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I do yeah. Unless something radical happens like SF getting into Government which would require a fairly significant revised estimate for the year.

If FF, FG and Greens go in I think they'd still do a revised estimate for the year but a less radical one.

Shane Ross is still the Minister and will be until he's replaced - but I'd say he's signing off on as little as he possibly can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement