Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Having patience and faith in the Council is one thing, but the funding is to come from Government and if they renege on that (unavoidable delay in their speak) then I could see the whole lot fall apart.

I have no idea what could be done to 'encourage' the gov to sign off on the funding commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

There have been many instances in the past of government ministers, in soon to be dissolved administrations, signing off major spending commitments just prior to clearing their desks.
    Of course these were for pet projects or favoured constituencies.....tic toc tic toc Fine Gael.....

Who in Waterford would be strong enough to push that funding along? I would say its David Culliane but SF would never put money into a private fund like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Are there any actual plans for the siting or change to railway infrastructure for the move of the station? i.e., drawings showing how the track configuration will change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Bards

I said this exact same thing a week ago and was scoffed at?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dexpat

Strange that the council signed the contract with the developers stating that the govenrment funding had to be in place by the end of this month unless they had guarantees that it would. Seems like the election has banjaxed that.

When each of the party leaders visit they should me made to pledge that it will be a priority after the election. Back to promises made during an election campaign again, and we've heard a lot of that before! It's probably all that can be done at this stage. Whatever hope the FG goverment had of getting some credit with the electorate here has gone. They had plenty of opportunity to stump up. Good riddance to them. Hopefully FG won't be near government for a long time. I can't see the alternative FF led government being much better though.

I don't doubt David Cullinanes bona fides in supporting the project and highlighting this, but it is in SFs interest to play up a lack of government funding during an election campaign.

I'm not downplaying the seriousness of it but hopefully the developers can be persuaded to hold on a little longer and it's just another bump in the road. There's not much the council could have done in relation to the election timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Rob Cass on twitter, pretty much backing up what David Cullinane said, probably where he got his info, doesn't sound promising:-

He states "Contractual delivery of infrastructure funding has been 31st January. Moved out from November. Nothing confirmed. yet."

https://twitter.com/Robcass78/status/1219383151711092736

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

There was word on a railways Facebook page a while back saying CIÉ/IÉ would be delighted not to have the new station go ahead.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

91wx763 wrote: »
    There was word on a railways Facebook page a while back saying CIÉ/IÉ would be delighted not to have the new station go ahead.....

If thats the group I think you are talking about thats just drivers moaning. They are never pleased with anything. IE need the station and this is a way they should get it without begging for funding.

Now IE themselves would have no intentions of moving because they would require funding and NTA already refused. You can see how its been for last few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Tender for services, gas, etc moving went up recently

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cactus jacks

Looks like the development is in trouble. One of the biggest developments outside of Dublin in the history of the state, in a city that's in dire straits and no sign of the funding coming. What the f**k does Waterford have to do, to get the support it needs.

https://twitter.com/Deisesupes/status/1222075933110173702

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Looks like the development is in trouble. One of the biggest developments outside of Dublin in the history of the state, in a city that's in dire straits and no sign of the funding coming. What the f**k does Waterford have to do, to get the support it needs.

https://twitter.com/Deisesupes/status/1222075933110173702

"… leading to concerns that the funding agreements already in place between Fine Gael and Wateford City and Council will be null and void."

This statement makes me take this article with a pinch of salt. The article seems speculative and of course from an unnamed source. Surly agreements would be with the state not Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Gardner

it's Skelton lads. next!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Meanwhile, in the more favoured and politically connected Limerick city; http://www.constructionbusiness.ie/masterplan-for-major-limerick-city-centre-development/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

So basically what we're being told is that FG are the only political entity to support this project?

Has Skelton checked with the leaders of the other parties to confirm their positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

BBM77 wrote: »
    "… leading to concerns that the funding agreements already in place between Fine Gael and Wateford City and Council will be null and void."

This statement makes me take this article with a pinch of salt. The article seems speculative and of course from an unnamed source. Surly agreements would be with the state not Fine Gael.

I was thinking about this actually. If you google Fianna F National Planning Framework/project 2040 - they are criticising it all over the place. If they have the majority this year, what assurances do we have that they’ll honour the thin commitment that Fine Gael have given us. Does the article mention this anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

From Robs twitter a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

From Robs twitter a few days ago

That's becoming clearer so: FG have supported it and the others haven't.

Unless something else changes in the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That rather puts it up to the voters in the South East ...... you want the NQ dev to go ahead then vote FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah well, with fg not looking amazing in polls, this could be a none runner, that's a shame

That rather puts it up to the voters in the South East ...... you want the NQ dev to go ahead then vote FG.

Yeah it seems that that's what it has come down to. As I said on the election thread, if FF get into power and FG are excluded then I'd be amazed if it happens.

The funding seems to be not just an election promise from FG. If it was I would completely dismiss it as electioneering. However it has been stated by Rob Cass in the twitter exchange a few posts back that the funding is there if FG are in power. That's good enough for me. He's leading the development. We're just largely speculating on here.

I was confident the project was very likely to be delivered based on public comments before Christmas but the big risk for the project, a change of government might just derail it.

• Advertisement

Dexpat wrote: »
    Yeah it seems that that's what it has come down to. As I said on the election thread, if FF get into power and FG are excluded then I'd be amazed if it happens.

The funding seems to be not just an election promise from FG. If it was I would completely dismiss it as electioneering. However it has been stated by Rob Cass in the twitter exchange a few posts back that the funding is there if FG are in power. That's good enough for me. He's leading the development. We're just largely speculating on here.

I was confident the project was very likely to be delivered based on public comments before Christmas but the big risk for the project, a change of government might just derail it.

Yeah, no fan of FG either but its very hard to see a government lead by Micheal Martin getting behind the North Quays project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I'd rather not vote for them. They're record has been atrocious for Waterford.

Nothing to stop FG delivering the monies today if they really wanted to...

Don't think you'll find too many arguing with you here about that, but what government has ever been good for Waterford. Crumbs from the table mostly.

The north quays could be finally be a chance to get a proper boost largely from private money and reduce reliance from the state and stand on our own feet. The public funding would have been signed off on a long time ago and before the election was called if it was in Cork or Galway. Sickening really that people have to contemplate voting FG after all the hospital, WIT issues etc. Doubt FF would have been much different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dexpat wrote:
    The north quays could be finally be a chance to get a proper boost largely from private money and reduce reliance from the state and stand on our own feet. The public funding would have been signed off on a long time ago and before the election was called if it was in Cork or Galway. Sickening really that people have to contemplate voting FG after all the hospital, WIT issues etc. Doubt FF would have been much different though.

'Largely from private money', 'stand on our own feet', interesting use of terms!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Seems to be a common theme across a few regions that if infrastructure delivery is your main priority you'll have to hold your nose and vote FG.

FF won't publicly say they'll cancel anything, but all FG's big projects will be "redesigned" or "reviewed" under a FF government so that they can claim credit for them. At best this will lead to lengthy delays and wheel reinvention, and at worst total cancellation.

Dexpat wrote: »
    Don't think you'll find too many arguing with you here about that, but what government has ever been good for Waterford. Crumbs from the table mostly.

When has Waterford done anything else? Sure even the new block in WRH FG are boasting was in reality paid for in a large part by local fund raising.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

I have to say, it's difficult reading this thread at the best of times. Yes, FG didn't do everything right over the last few years but it's hard to understand how people think they did nothing for Waterford. Two Primary Care Centres were built, multiple new schools (Educate Together, Tramore), a new Library in Carrickphierish, St. Patrick's Hospital, John's College, the new Court House, the morgue has started. I know the Cardiac Care issue is not yet resolved but planning has been approved for a new unit and funding provided to extend staffing 8am - 8pm, 7 days a week. The new engineering building in WIT is due to start shortly. Mount Congreve got a huge funding boast recently to build a really impressive new centre and upgrade the current gardens and house. And while North Quays haven't received full funding as of yet, it was mentioned in the manifesto - no other project was noted! And remember, out of the all the projects that were given funding under the Urban Regional Development Fund (URDF - the fund that was actually set up as a result of the NQs), the North Quays received the single largest amount. I know the issue with TUSE is frustrating - but this is delayed due to internal bickering between Carlow and Waterford. I'm not delighted with FG either but come on...

I have to say, it's difficult reading this thread at the best of times. Yes, FG didn't do everything right over the last few years but it's hard to understand how people think they did nothing for Waterford. Two Primary Care Centres were built, multiple new schools (Educate Together, Tramore), a new Library in Carrickphierish, St. Patrick's Hospital, John's College, the new Court House, the morgue has started. I know the Cardiac Care issue is not yet resolved but planning has been approved for a new unit and funding provided to extend staffing 8am - 8pm, 7 days a week. The new engineering building in WIT is due to start shortly. Mount Congreve got a huge funding boast recently to build a really impressive new centre and upgrade the current gardens and house. And while North Quays haven't received full funding as of yet, it was mentioned in the manifesto - no other project was noted! And remember, out of the all the projects that were given funding under the Urban Regional Development Fund (URDF - the fund that was actually set up as a result of the NQs), the North Quays received the single largest amount. I know the issue with TUSE is frustrating - but this is delayed due to internal bickering between Carlow and Waterford. I'm not delighted with FG either but come on...

Hello John Cummins

• Advertisement

Hello John Cummins

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement