Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Looks better than empty space.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

vriesmays wrote: »
    It will spoil the view of the Ard rí.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Mulbert wrote: »
    Looks better than empty space.

I cant say I agree in this instance tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not loading for me in any browser, desktop or android.

I've seen plenty of artists impressions and none of them are probably that accurate.

I've seen plenty of artists impressions and none of them are probably that accurate.

It's not an artist impression, its a planning document photomontage which must as accurately as possible portray how the building will look

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I did comment previously that the blocks looked utilitarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Its all in here

http://193.178.30.153/iDocsWebDPSS/copyright.aspx?catalog=planning&id=19928

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

What's an energy centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

vriesmays wrote: »
    What's an energy centre.

BLOCK E – ENERGY CENTRE
    • A new low rise stand-alone energy centre building
    at (1,089 sq m GFA) the western end of the site.
    • To manage electrical energy generated on site and
    purchased from external energy providers and to
    distribute it to the Hotel and the various Retail uses.
    • Provision for future expansion to include distributing
    energy to the Offices and Residential Apartments.
    • The Energy Centre contains: An Electrical Generator
    Compound, Boilers, Pump Headers, Pressure Units,
    Ice Banks, Rainwater Storage Tanks, Cold Water
    Storage Tank, Sprinkler Tank, Other Facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

Well, there's always next generation to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dexpat

jelutong wrote: »
    The tower blocks look pretty ugly. Bound to be lots of objections to the development.

I must say it doesn't look great from the views given although they are renders so it's always difficult to tell. The quality of the materials/cladding will be important. Colours in buildings can be good if done correctly but here it seems to be a bit jarring.

I like the promenade shown in the walk through video as it allows the development to relate to the existing city rather than turning into a stand alone 'ghetto'.

As its's a strategic development zone no objections are allowed, (except for complaining on boards) so it will come down to the council planners. I see the planners intend deal with it as they would any other development and have committed to a seven week period to make a decision. Sounds ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Dexpat wrote: »
    I must say it doesn't look great from the views given although they are renders so it's always difficult to tell. The quality of the materials/cladding will be important. Colours in buildings can be good if done correctly but here it seems to be a bit jarring.

I agree - this detail will be key. The finish on Maritana Gate for example is really good and the building has aged well as a result.

I like the promenade shown in the walk through video as it allows the development to relate to the existing city rather than turning into a stand alone 'ghetto'.

I think a walk along this south-facing prom with the "old city" across the river has the potential to be a real joy!

As its's a strategic development zone no objections are allowed, (except for complaining on boards

Not strictly true - people could have objected to the SDZ, but you're right, the time for objections is now behind us. TBH it's a good way of doing things for big developments. Imagine if vexatious objectors (won't name any here, but we all remember one from about 10 years ago) were able to stand in the way of a €500 million brownfield site redevelopment. :eek:

I see the planners intend deal with it as they would any other development and have committed to a seven week period to make a decision. Sounds ambitious.

Just guessing here, but I'd say the council has been working so closely with Falcon and so long on this, that the planning department will only have to check that the application reflects what had been agreed in prior discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

fricatus wrote: »
    I agree - this detail will be key. The finish on Maritana Gate for example is really good and the building has aged well as a result.

I think a walk along this south-facing prom with the "old city" across the river has the potential to be a real joy!

Not strictly true - people could have objected to the SDZ, but you're right, the time for objections is now behind us. TBH it's a good way of doing things for big developments. Imagine if vexatious objectors (won't name any here, but we all remember one from about 10 years ago) were able to stand in the way of a €500 million brownfield site redevelopment. :eek:

Just guessing here, but I'd say the council has been working so closely with Falcon and so long on this, that the planning department will only have to check that the application reflects what had been agreed in prior discussions.

Thank god for that. What has come out about the Tower Hotel today shows what a complete lottery ABP decisions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

BLOCK E – ENERGY CENTRE
    • A new low rise stand-alone energy centre building
    at (1,089 sq m GFA) the western end of the site.
    • To manage electrical energy generated on site and
    purchased from external energy providers and to
    distribute it to the Hotel and the various Retail uses.
    • Provision for future expansion to include distributing
    energy to the Offices and Residential Apartments.
    • The Energy Centre contains: An Electrical Generator
    Compound, Boilers, Pump Headers, Pressure Units,
    Ice Banks, Rainwater Storage Tanks, Cold Water
    Storage Tank, Sprinkler Tank, Other Facilities

From looking at the individual drawings for the different buildings, they are mostly going to be covered in arrays of solar panels thus the Energy centre building to manage it all.

From looking at the individual drawings for the different buildings, they are mostly going to be covered in arrays of solar panels thus the Energy centre building to manage it all.

Is there any indication of them getting heat from the river water using heat exchange units which might be beneficial to the hotel and offices etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Is there any indication of them getting heat from the river water using heat exchange units which might be beneficial to the hotel and offices etc?

Didn't see any mention in the architectural drawings I looked at but there's tons of documents available to be viewed online like the Mech./Elec. drawings/plans for you to peruse over the Xmas holidays when you get fed up of watching Home Alone 2 for the 20th time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

The more I look at the design the more I like it. But like others have said, the final use of materials will tell a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

Legoland by the Suir.

Didn't see any mention in the architectural drawings I looked at but there's tons of documents available to be viewed online like the Mech./Elec. drawings/plans for you to peruse over the Xmas holidays when you get fed up of watching Home Alone 2 for the 20th time! :)

I had a quick look through where I thought I might find something, but finding nothing relevant I asked.

I doubt I will either watch HomeAlone2 or search those files again over the hols :D

According to this, the planning application should be viewable online:

https://twitter.com/WaterfordCounci/status/1207684492074405888

I'm just getting the e-planning search page, and when I look for 19-928, I just get "no results". Anyone got a reliable link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭JohnC.

fricatus wrote: »
    According to this, the planning application should be viewable online:

I'm just getting the e-planning search page, and when I look for 19-928, I just get "no results". Anyone got a reliable link?

http://193.178.30.153/iDocsWebDPSS/copyright.aspx?catalog=planning&id=19928

JohnC. wrote: »

Thanks for that... I know I shouldn't be surprised (given that it's a planning application and all...), but the level of detail in the few files I've looked at is savage! This is what they were doing when we were here moaning that "it's all gone very quiet". :D

The thread title should be renamed to €500m Investment into Waterford City as that's the figure I keep seeing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Wonder if the apartments will be sold pre construction? Very common in Toronto to buy 4/5 years in advance

The more I look at the design the more I like it. But like others have said, the final use of materials will tell a lot.

It does look better up close I'll admit. But still, I really think it could have been a lot better in 2019, it looks like a regeneration project from the celtic tiger or 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Bards

Doylers wrote: »
    Wonder if the apartments will be sold pre construction? Very common in Toronto to buy 4/5 years in advance

Im hearing the hoyel is sold, 50%of the apa8arw sold and the offices are 100% sold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Bards wrote: »
    Im hearing the hoyel is sold, 50%of the apa8arw sold and the offices are 100% sold

I'd be flabbergasted if that's true. Even in Dublin, its rare to have office projects fully let out before they start construction, if it does happen it is almost always developers with long track records of delivery renting to established companies in Ireland. Outside Dublin it's unheard of, Navigation Square in Cork and Gardens International in Limerick are both struggling with rents after construction.

Here is the interview with two of the main people involved with the project (jump to about 6 minutes in as Tiernan is waffling on with his usual 'hale fellow' guff before the serious stuff)

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/12/19/the-latest-on-waterfords-north-quays-development/#.Xftv63lxz40

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dexpat

Here is the interview with two of the main people involved with the project (jump to about 6 minutes in as Tiernan is waffling on with his usual 'hale fellow' guff before the serious stuff)

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/12/19/the-latest-on-waterfords-north-quays-development/#.Xftv63lxz40

Thanks. That was an interesting listen. It seems like it's nearly unstoppable at this point.

They are very confident about the financing and pre-lets of the hotel, retail and offices. The private investement was mentioned at about €400m and with the public money it confims the overall €500m investment.

12 weeks is the timeline for a planning decision and if granted will finally allow Falcon to purchase the site and start signing contracts for pre lets. This then allows them to secure the remaining financing. Falcon are putting in about 40% of the cost themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

God Tiernan is gloom on legs. He was all how it could not happen. Not how it could.

Great text on that, “Damien, Take a drink from a glass of half full, be positive.” :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement