Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

To be fair he said he was teasing out the details, which he was but DT is a poor interviewer. Not nearly dexterous enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

See the top garage is closed and baricaded off.... i assume this is part of the overall project there..

Yep it's going - hope they got a good price for the site and disturbance money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Are there people living in some of those houses beside the Top garage too? Will they have to be bought out as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Azatadine wrote: »
    Are there people living in some of those houses beside the Top garage too? Will they have to be bought out as well?

No those houses are to remain as are. The railway line separates the houses and the north quays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

snotboogie wrote: »
    I'd be flabbergasted if that's true. Even in Dublin, its rare to have office projects fully let out before they start construction, if it does happen it is almost always developers with long track records of delivery renting to established companies in Ireland. Outside Dublin it's unheard of, Navigation Square in Cork and Gardens International in Limerick are both struggling with rents after construction.

Look at the court case Dunnes and Paul Construction had for the White Elephant in Slieverue.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Junior wrote: »
    Look at the court case Dunnes and Paul Construction had for the White Elephant in Slieverue.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but the Ferrybank Shopping Centre is no where near Slieverue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

I'd be flabbergasted if that's true. Even in Dublin, its rare to have office projects fully let out before they start construction, if it does happen it is almost always developers with long track records of delivery renting to established companies in Ireland. Outside Dublin it's unheard of, Navigation Square in Cork and Gardens International in Limerick are both struggling with rents after construction.

talking through your hole there mate. Navigation Square is just about full and fit out is still ongoing. Penrose Quay straight across from it has 8 levels in building 2 and 6 levels in building 1. 50% have already been taken up and there not expected to be completed Construction by August. JCD are driving on with the Sextant Building. very shrewd operators. Cork is leaving Waterford behind by the day! that's why i don't expect the North Quays to be finished in its entirety. I'm still skeptical it will even take off and if it does i'd be amazed if 50% of it is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Gardner wrote: »
    talking through your hole there mate. Navigation Square is just about full and fit out is still ongoing. Penrose Quay straight across from it has 8 levels in building 2 and 6 levels in building 1. 50% have already been taken up and there not expected to be completed Construction by August. JCD are driving on with the Sextant Building. very shrewd operators. Cork is leaving Waterford behind by the day! that's why i don't expect the North Quays to be finished in its entirety. I'm still skeptical it will even take off and if it does i'd be amazed if 50% of it is completed.

Who is going into Penrose Dock? Navigation Square have only announced Clearstream, who are talking 50%-70% of Phase 1. They still have at least 30% to fill. Nobody announced for Phase 2. Admittedly optimism has gone up since I made that post, especially in the end of year office let out reviews. The first 6 months of 2019 were brutal for office take ups in Cork, big improvement in the second half of the year with it expected to continue into 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

Cork is leaving Waterford behind by the day!

Lightyears ahead of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

gardens in limerick was 50% let well before finish, one company. same company took an additional 40% within 6 months of finishing, so its 90% let now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but the Ferrybank Shopping Centre is no where near Slieverue.

It’s in Slieverue,Co Kilkenny.

The official address is

FERRYBANK SHOPPING CENTRE, FERRYBANK, WATERFORD, CO. KILKENNY, X91 D211 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

The official address is

FERRYBANK SHOPPING CENTRE, FERRYBANK, WATERFORD, CO. KILKENNY, X91 D211 :D

That’s the postal address. Sorry for being a bit pernickity:)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

jelutong wrote: »
    It’s in Slieverue,Co Kilkenny.

Ferrybank shopping centre is in ferrybank, which is not Slieverue, ye can argue the merits of whether it’s KK or Waterford all day long, but what is 100% correct is Ferrybank and Slieverue are two different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dexpat

Junior wrote: »

The next person to mention by name or hint the 'white elephant' in Ferrybank in this thread should be hunted down by mossad and tickled to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Muttley79

Cork are building 200,000 m2 of office/retail space over the next 3 years,mainly driven by the private sector.waterford at the moment are building not one square meter!!providing the north quays gets going that will be 15,000m2 still very very small to what is in store for cork.people are willingly investing in cork and its economy as a counter balance to dublin.take the north quays away from Waterford and it will be it’s death as a city.shows how much the government really think of Waterford in its 2040 plan.we are only given crumbs from the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

I'm still skeptical it will even take off and if it does i'd be amazed if 50% of it is completed.

I tell you, when I saw the initial investment figure my eyebrows took off... into a low earth orbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bards

With an election imminent and no sign off on monies for the North Quays... Is the project doomed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Bards wrote: »
    With an election imminent and no sign off on monies for the North Quays... Is the project doomed?

Why would it be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Yes, it is doomed. If it does not get built Waterford is finished as a city. Even if they do start building it I’d be surprised if it gets half built. If it is fully built nobody will go in it. It's doomed I tells yeah, DOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Waterford's been doomed since Gilbert O'Suillivan started his boycott.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bards

hardybuck wrote: »
    Why would it be?
    new government.. No firm commitment to expenditure from current government.. .. No guarantee new government will follow through on previous govt promises... New 20 year plan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

new government.. No firm commitment to expenditure from current government.. .. No guarantee new government will follow through on previous govt promises... New 20 year plan etc.

If there were no guarantees at present then nothing would change? The 2020 budget has been set out and the 2021 plans were always up for discussion in any event.

20 year plans are for public officials and their Offices to progress over successive Governments.

What might become a speed bump is the time it takes to form a new Government. Last time it took three months, at the start of summer. While Civil Servants keep things moving in the interim, obviously the disruption can slow things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hardybuck wrote: »
    If there were no guarantees at present then nothing would change? The 2020 budget has been set out and the 2021 plans were always up for discussion in any event.

20 year plans are for public officials and their Offices to progress over successive Governments.

What might become a speed bump is the time it takes to form a new Government. Last time it took three months, at the start of summer. While Civil Servants keep things moving in the interim, obviously the disruption can slow things down.

cant really see too many problems for ff forming a government, but strange things do happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Dexpat wrote: »
    The next person to mention by name or hint the 'white elephant' in Ferrybank in this thread should be hunted down by mossad and tickled to death.

Fair play but it illustrated a tenant taking a slot from plans/before it was built

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Democracy is an absolute PITA as times! :D Of course this wouldn't be an issue if the crowd in power now were remotely interested in Waterford. Hopefully it's just a bluff to get a shift on.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

There have been many instances in the past of government ministers, in soon to be dissolved administrations, signing off major spending commitments just prior to clearing their desks.
    Of course these were for pet projects or favoured constituencies.....tic toc tic toc Fine Gael.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

"David Cullinane, says he has been contacted by someone close to the Saudi developers..."

Why would they contact him? He is an opposition TD and has no power. Technically he is not even a TD at the moment. Sounds like an election points scoring story to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement