Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Muttley79

ForestFire wrote: »
    If tomorrow never comes
    Will she (Deise) know how much I loved her
    Did I try in every way (even some brown envelopes) to show her every day
    That she's my only one (up the deise)
    And if my time on earth were through (we know how long it's takes in this country)
    And she must face this world without me
    Is the love I gave her in the past
    Gonna be enough to last
    If tomorrow never comes

I just gave my best Garth brooks impersonation reading that out🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Dexpat

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Yeah. It certainly is, although it's just another step on the road. I notice in their statement, Falcon anticipate the imminent announcement of the funding for the transport hub from the government, so I presume it's in the bag?

Well done to all involved in Falcon, the council etc in getting to this stage. The planners in the council have their work cut out ploughing through the application, but as they have been involved in the process with the developers there won't be anyting in it that will be a surprise for them. Maybe they can have a decision finalised by Christmas Eve if they get their skates on!!:D

I look forward to seeing the detailed application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So it's basically a year behind schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

So it's basically a year behind schedule?

Better late than never, no?
    It's great news for Xmas. Without seeing the details, I get the sense from the press release that the retail element has been scaled back in favour of the commercial/office/residential aspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Muttley79

Hopefully a lot of local tradesmen get a job out of this in building both developments

It's great news for Xmas. Without seeing the details, I get the sense from the press release that the retail element has been scaled back in favour of the commercial/office/residential aspect.

If the retail element on the north quays is being scaled back it's probably for the best. Michael St should make sure that the main development compliments and supports the existing city centre rather than competing with it. In hindsight the council's encouragement of the developers to include Michael St as part of the overall package seems to have been correct.

It will be interesting to see the details of what exactly is proposed and how it has evolved/changed. I presume the full planning application will be a publicaly available soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dexpat wrote: »
    If the retail element on the north quays is being scaled back it's probably for the best. Michael St should make sure that the main development compliments and supports the existing city centre rather than competing with it. In hindsight the council's encouragement of the developers to include Michael St as part of the overall package seems to have been correct.

It will be interesting to see the details of what exactly is proposed and how it has evolved/changed. I presume the full planning application will be a publicaly available soon?

http://www.eplanning.ie/WaterfordCCC/AppFileRefDetails/19928/0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Where does it say the retail element is scaled back? Or is this just the next phase of misery from the doom and gloomers now the planning has gone in.

No change in the scale or contents as far as I can see

from the plans -

BLOCK A - Hotel
    BLOCK B - Mixed Use Commercial Building
    BLOCK C - Office
    BLOCK D - Residential
    BLOCK E - Energy Centre

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    Where does it say the retail element is scaled back? Or is this just the next phase of misery from the doom and gloomers now the planning has gone in.

The overall scale of the development hasn't changed, but I think they reassessed the balance between residential, office and retail after analysing the market. It's normal thing to do before committing to planning. I presume that was part of the reason for the delay.

Maybe it hasn't led to too much difference. The only thing I would be worried about is if there was too much retail in the north quays, but Michael St should act as a counter balance to make sure the existing city centre get the full spin off from the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

No doom nor gloom here BB, I've seen (some of) the detail now and it's mind-blowing! Very excited about this, just hope there is no more slippage in timelines. Still major retail element but I agree with other comments that Michael St. shop letting needs to be at the same time if not sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I was most concerned about the retail aspect. I don't think Waterford would benefit from a large retail presence on the NQs competing with the existing shopping areas on the other side of the river. If Michael St became the hub for the retail aspect of their ambitions then it'd be a very good result.

No doom nor gloom here BB, I've seen (some of) the detail now and it's mind-blowing! Very excited about this, just hope there is no more slippage in timelines. Still major retail element but I agree with other comments that Michael St. shop letting needs to be at the same time if not sooner.

Don’t doubt your positivity Dunmoreroader. Looking forward to looking at the details when I get a chance. I’m very excited about it to. It is great in itself but it will also be a catalyst for other developments. What is happening in Waterford is typical of many post-industrial cities that have reinvented themselves.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I was most concerned about the retail aspect. I don't think Waterford would benefit from a large retail presence on the NQs competing with the existing shopping areas on the other side of the river. If Michael St became the hub for the retail aspect of their ambitions then it'd be a very good result.

The point of the retail in the north quays is to create a critical mass in terms of retail offering and attraction. There is nowhere to do this in the existing city centre. Michael St will not be big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Deiseen

hardybuck wrote: »

I might agree if the retail offering in Waterford wasn't so abysmal. This development can only help.

The point of the retail in the north quays is to create a critical mass in terms of retail offering and attraction. There is nowhere to do this in the existing city centre. Michael St will not be big enough.

Yet.

Deiseen wrote: »
    I might agree if the retail offering in Waterford wasn't so abysmal. This development can only help.

I agree that the retail offering needs work, but don't agree that having a large competing retail development over there would help. It might actually do a lot of harm to the city center.

In my opinion there should be sufficient retail and commercial space to service those who live and work in NQs. Convenience stores, small supermarket, restaurant, barbers, hairdresser a bar etc.

A hotel with a conference facility would also be great.

"over there" eh? ;) Have to stop thinking that Waterford ends with a river, God knows we'd all be quick enough to jump at any notion of Kilkenny claiming Ferrybank to the shoreline!

"over there" eh? ;) Have to stop thinking that Waterford ends with a river, God knows we'd all be quick enough to jump at any notion of Kilkenny claiming Ferrybank to the shoreline!

A manner of speech but I suppose it is fairly revealing - normally I would be on the other side looking across at it. Ferrybank definitely feels like 'over there' to me anyway - I'm not sure how others feel.

I suppose that's half the point of all this - better integration.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean, I was after a job in based "over there" a few years back and the notion of commuting across the bridge was something I wasn't potentially look forward to. (Also that's why a second vehicle crossing at the Tower would be so good to help bring 'there' to 'here')

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

I know what you mean, I was after a job in based "over there" a few years back and the notion of commuting across the bridge was something I wasn't potentially look forward to. (Also that's why a second vehicle crossing at the Tower would be so good to help bring 'there' to 'here')

Commuting to Ferrybank being a bother? Where were going to commute from? Other than from about 4.30 to about 6pm there is no bother getting to Ferrybank. And it's not too bad even then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Some photomontages
    It looks really awful sadly :( What a wasted opportunity,looks like the developers really cheaped out on this one. It wouldnt even look good if it was just some random out of town shopping centre anywhere in the country

Photomontages:
    uyGustB.jpg

rSZA6HX.jpg

LMDA30D.jpg

z6kUnL1.jpg

913LJOh.jpg

spZ1KSL.jpg

MnOFNkr.jpg

K6t4KLE.jpg

f9kZCwK.jpg]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

What's with the ½ house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

The Kilkenny county council knocked the other half. Something to do with the Borough Boundry i believe.

Where are those pictures from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Where are those pictures from?

The planning documents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

The tower blocks look pretty ugly. Bound to be lots of objections to the development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

It will spoil the view of the Ard rí.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement