Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish 3/4 Marathon - Sun 8th Oct 2017

Options
  • 20-03-2017 2:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭

Irish 3/4 Marathon (Formerly Athlone 3/4) Sun 8th Oct 2017 - 10am

The 3/4 Marathon is being held on the quiet country roads near Longwood in south Meath again this year.

RACE WEBSITE HERE

You can expect:-
    Well organised event on flattish /fair course
    Properly measured, marked and marshaled event
    1/4 marathon split timing,
    Distance markers in Km and Miles for approx pacing info
    4 on course & 1 finish line water/ food stations
    Post race changing rooms/ showers
    Pacers for Marathon pace as per our recommendations “equivalent” of 3.00, 3.30, 4.00, 4.30hrs
    Race top that you will hopefully value and use again
    Personalised race numbers for those entering before 25th Sept
    Convenient free car parking
    Positive race experience
    Useful Running Souvenir that we know you will value and use
    Route will have overall climb of exactly 3/4 that of DCM
    FOC Transfer of your Entry until 25th Sept

We again advise that the event be used as a preparation one with conservative pacing not flat out racing if doing DCM 3 weeks later.

Links to previous event threads as below:

2016 thread here

2015 thread here

2014 thread here

2013 thread here

2012 thread here

2011 thread here

2010 thread here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Stick me down for "marshalling" again please P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

tang1 wrote: »
    Stick me down for "marshalling" again please P.

Done Thanks Tang! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Did this as part of my Dublin City Marathon training last year and loved it - I actually think I enjoyed this more than marathon day.

Brilliantly organised event!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Price rise (to get the "fence-sitters" on the move) coming up at midnight this Friday :-)

Groups of 5+ get a fiver off automatically and the code BOARDS is good for 10% off individual entry

All race info at Event Website

Race Entry Link HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

Was just reading there that this is probably going to sell out early.
    I just entered and used the board code for the discount.
    Hoping Im healthy when it comes around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

undecided about this race

would suit schedule and venue handy to get to

negatives a bit pricey for a race that is going to be used as a training run.

not sure I can hold myself back in race conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

charkee wrote: »
    undecided about this race

would suit schedule and venue handy to get to

negatives a bit pricey for a race that is going to be used as a training run.

not sure I can hold myself back in race conditions.

I've done it many times, in the old athlone iteration and the new one last year.
    Always enjoyed it. Great vibe about it. The new route is nice and quiet and flat as you like. If your focus is the marathon you need to have discipline in your pace if you are doing this and there are usually pacers to help across different timing targets. Price stands up well against other events in terms of value.

thanks slogger, may try it as the last long run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Hubby registered us last night :D missed out on the discount do not really care all I have been hearing is great things about this event and I am looking forward to it, It will make it a little easier mentally running with lots of people for my last LSR before DCM all a first for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

I've done it many times, in the old athlone iteration and the new one last year.
    Always enjoyed it. Great vibe about it. The new route is nice and quiet and flat as you like. If your focus is the marathon you need to have discipline in your pace if you are doing this and there are usually pacers to help across different timing targets. Price stands up well against other events in terms of value.

For sure it's a lovely event, missed it last year so looking forward to seeing the new course. The fact it doesn't have that b*stard of a hill to look forward to in the last two miles is fine with me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

opus wrote: »
    For sure it's a lovely event, missed it last year so looking forward to seeing the new course. The fact it doesn't have that b*stard of a hill to look forward to in the last two miles is fine with me :)

Dont count your chickens... I never seen the old course but there are a few nasty hills on this one near the end - KM 29 if I remember right:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

jameshayes wrote: »
    Dont count your chickens... I never seen the old course but there are a few nasty hills on this one near the end - KM 29 if I remember right:o

Yip your right there alright,last year it nailed me, only race I have ever done where I had to stop and walk a bit, some right tricky long climbs to negotiate towards the last few KMS.

It didn't help my cause that I took off at the start like a rocket , boy did I learn a lesson that day:D

Another quality event from the 3/4 crew.
    More marshalls than you can shake a stick at.
    Pretty flat and pretty trafficless too.
    Weather was on our side with calm mild conditions for running.
    Nice technical top and gloves to wear during winter training.

first timer, will be back fantastic event

runners not as edgt or intense as its not the mara.

great facilities after ,showers tea coffee and the crisp sandwiches went down a trreat

await the results..

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Brilliant event from the best event organiser in the land hands down.This race is a beast of a run and a great last long one before DCM..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

charkee wrote: »
    first timer, will be back fantastic event

runners not as edgt or intense as its not the mara.

great facilities after ,showers tea coffee and the crisp sandwiches went down a trreat

await the results..[/QUOTE

results are up now redtagtiming.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Slogger Jogger obviously used to doing all his runs in the Himilayas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

No it's ye soft Dubs thing a speed ramp is a hill!!! I

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Fantastic event, really enjoyed it though the hills at the end were tough. The Dj was so funny fair play to him! Great spread and top gloves and medal were a nice treat, roll on Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Fantastic event, really enjoyed it though the hills at the end were tough. The Dj was so funny fair play to him! Great spread and top gloves and medal were a nice treat, roll on Dublin!

I was watching the DJ when I joined the massive queue to collect the number at the start, definitely passed the time :)

My first time doing it at the new location, same good organisation for sure. Route seemed a little easier without the big hill at the end although there were a few pulls to negotiate.

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't like crisp sandwiches! But a few bananas and some of the protein milk did me fine. Nice to bump into a few former-boardseies there as well.

Onwards now to DCM & a few laps of Sixmilebridge in mid-Nov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great event, really well organised. Nice country roads with the lovely ambience of manure. :p

Marshalling and water stations were first rate. Loved the orange segments and the watermelon at the finish was a godsend.

Very sociable atmosphere because so many did it as a long run.

And the DJ was certainly unique. Hadn't heard the Hucklebuck in quite a while. :)

Its all relative. Ran the Athlone version a no. of times and it always clocked c. 200m of ascent.
    Today I measured 130m of climb. Spread over 31k thats flat where I live ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Its all relative. Ran the Athlone version a no. of times and it always clocked c. 200m of ascent.
    Today I measured 130m of climb. Spread over 31k thats flat where I live ;)

Definitely an easier course than the Athlone version but still a tough last few miles. Was pacing today and that hill / speed bump ;) over the railway bridge took a lot of people out. Was thinking to myself I'd hate to get there at race pace. But yeah take your point. All about what you're used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Well done to the green 2:45 front pacer. Kept me entertained all the way through.... Last 5k had a few short sneaky inclines especially the last canal crossing. Not too serious though. I will be back for sure. Perfect warm up!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Second time doing this one. Great way to get the last long run in. Bring on the taper...

Advertisement