Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sun 7th Oct 2012 11am

Options
  • 15-02-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Athlone ¾ Marathon is back this year. Hopefully we'll continue to get your support for this race.

You may think it's a little early to be planning your Autumn race schedule, but if you're thinking of doing Dublin Marathon then this is an ideal preparation race.

It was a very successful prep race for winners Linda Byrne & Gary O'Hanlon last year.

Slight difference in fees structure this year:
    • Before 29th February €29pp
    • 1st March to 30th April €34pp
    • 1st May to 30th June €39pp
    • 1st July to 31th August €44pp
    • 1st September to 3rd October €49pp

Main reason for posting now is that we're offering a discounted price of €29 until the end of February, so get in early for cheap entry.

http://www.athlone3quarter.com

2011 race thread

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 32 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    81%
    Alanmopuszeferrovers_runnerpistol_75lukeemanSeanie_HjcsmumMuppet Manultraman1rocknchefAimmancphowlinjb-skiracheljevBrokenManbeyondpassiveVan.Boschwoody1Q7 26 votes
    3 stars (average)
    18%
    CraptacularDazed909jj72ofthelordsureitsgrandSnailsPace 6 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Already signed up for this - A really useful and well organised race last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

4 stars (good)
    Missed this last year with injury but would hope to do it if I'm doing Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Delighted that this doesn't clash with Berlin. Fantastic prep 'race' for anyone doing Dublin, in my top 3 races for 2011, highly highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

+1 - A great prep race for anyone doing Dublin.

Im doing Berlin the week before this, so wont be able to be there unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Gotta do it this year seeing as i got there last year only to find out that i had...........forgot my runners:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Decided to go for it as well given the great response from people in last year's thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Entered!!
    I ran this for the first time last year, and was highly impressed with every aspect of the race. Well organised, scenic route, great vibe!! Looking forward to this year's event.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Last day for cheap cheap entries ... €29 on the 29th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

bazman wrote: »
    Last day for cheap cheap entries ... €29 on the 29th

So €1 on the 1st :confused:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 guysmiley

Hi bazman

Trying to sign up this evening 29/2/12 and it seems the Run Ireland website is down for the last 2 hours and price going up tomorrow.

guysmiley wrote: »
    Hi bazman

Trying to sign up this evening 29/2/12 and it seems the Run Ireland website is down for the last 2 hours and price going up tomorrow.

Hi guysmiley - did you get sorted? If not let me know and we'll sort something out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 guysmiley

no bazman, didn't get sorted. It's for the OH by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

3/4 marathon is a bit short IMO... 4/5 would have been much better.:)

A wise man once told me that August bank holiday is the right moment to make the commitment to the October bank holiday weekend :) Preparation starts in earnest now for Dublin Marathon. This all means it is time to sign of to Athlone 3/4 Marathon as your last long prep run. If the ideal prep event where you can test your refreshment and pacing strategy in a controlled race environment.

We've ordered top quality medals as an addition this year. All the established services will be maintained - technical t-shirts, chip timing, refreshment stations, post race massage, excellent facilities, marshals at every junction, and free transport from bus/rail stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

4 stars (good)
    Just wondering how people are approaching are this one with it's proximity to Dublin?

I'm wondering if I should race it or treat it as a training run.

How have previous year's participants tackled it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

From last year's thread, it seems it's run slower than planned race pace. For instance, here's the pacer targets. EG 3 hour marathon target ran the race at 4.35/km

• 3:00 Marathon Prep Pace = Approx. 7:20/mile or 4:35/km = RED balloons (2hr 25mins for ¾)
    • 3:30 Marathon Prep Pace = Approx. 8:35/mile or 5:20/km = GREEN balloons (2hr 50mins for ¾)
    • 4:00 Marathon Prep Pace = Approx. 9:40/mile or 6:00/km = BLUE balloons (3hr 10mins for ¾)

I think the idea behind it is that it gives you enough time to recover?

If your target in the marathon, then all races leading up to the marathon ideally should simply be preparation events. This is designed as a long preparation event where you can practice your fueling strategy and get an understanding of the importance of pacing over long distances.

Almost every training program will have your last long run 3 weeks before the main event. Our recommendation is to treat this as a training run, but with substantial benefits - fueling stations, pacers, post race massage, medal, technical t-shirt, transport from Athlone, magical surroundings - add all this up and it's a value event.

Common questions are 'Is this too close to Dublin marathon?' and 'what pace should I run?'. To the former, I'd say no as 3 weeks is more than ample recovery time. Make use of the post-race massage and commence your taper post race. Yes, you're legs will ache for a few days afterwards but the recovery process will kick in and make your legs stronger. To the latter question, everyone should have an idea of their own ability to recover so run a pace where you know you'll recover easily from. If you're a novice runner with low mileage, I'd say focus on completion over speed. If you're a seasoned runner, then run conservatively and finish strongly to give you confidence going into the marathon. The course has a few hills, one close to the finish - but so too has Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I did this last year in the run in to Dublin - ran with the pace group for my target time and ended up getting what I wanted out of Dublin. Its a great run, at enough of a pace to stretch you without going too far into the red so as not to recover for Dublin.

Any year I'll do Dublin I'll do this. Its a nice way to cap off the hard slog for DCM and begin the wind down / taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TownBound

Hi - just wondering if this is just for fast runners? Dublin will be my first marathon so I don't really know my pace but judging by half marathon time it should hopefully be about 4hr30mins. I notice the pacers only go up to 4 hours. Would like to do it just to take the boredom out of the 20 mile run...
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

4 stars (good)
    havent gone beyond half marathon distance yet, but im seriously tempted to chance it and see what happens and see how i cope.. dont have very long to get distance up even a bit though ! is there a deadline on entry , dont see anything on the website..

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

4 stars (good)
    Just signed up there to it, best way to do the 20 mile run pre marathon that i can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    For anyone who frequents the MarathonTalk website I added it as an event on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

opus wrote: »
    For anyone who frequents the MarathonTalk website I added it as an event on there.

Just signed up to that and a few other races also. Never knew that function existed seeing as I've not been back there much since Jantastic finished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

4 stars (good)
    TownBound wrote: »
    Hi - just wondering if this is just for fast runners? Dublin will be my first marathon so I don't really know my pace but judging by half marathon time it should hopefully be about 4hr30mins. I notice the pacers only go up to 4 hours. Would like to do it just to take the boredom out of the 20 mile run...
    Thanks
    ,you have a better idea of your dublin marathon pace after this run,its a great race,im ,lookin forward to it

TownBound wrote: »
    Thanks

There are walkers every year participating in this event. The race will remain open for 6 hours at a minimum, so you're more than welcome to join the fun

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TownBound

Thanks guys - just signed up!

Hey all
    The price remains at €44 this week - until Friday 7th midnight so get in now to save €5.
    I know some on this forum will argue that this is expensive, but considering all on offer it's a bargain :) race, technical t-shirt, medal, refreshment stations, free transport from Athlone, post-race massage, pacers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I did this race the firdt year it was run and I enjoyed it but the course was extremly undulating. Just wanna know have changes been made to the course to flatten it out since that first year? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

Is it possible to get to this race by public transport? I'm travelling from Dublin so I could get a train to Athlone but the problem is getting from Athlone train station to start of race and back.
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement