Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sunday 5th Oct 2013 at 11am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Any chance you could sort better weather this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    Any chance you could sort better weather this year?

All going well, hoping to run this in prep for Frankfurt which is same weekend as Dublin. Heard great reports from those havingused it as Dublin prep in the past. If I make it in one piece, just need to decide whether to run it as a pace or progression run. A huge help to do such a difficult session in a race environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Old news, I've been registered for this since Jan 15th ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Being promising myself this race for a few years now, and since I'm not going to do Dublin, (but do love the longer stuff), I think ill give it a go this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Race more or less passes my family home front door, shall be volunteering at the race this year so expect some vocal support if i know you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Apologies for the typo on thread title - race is on 5th October. Corrected by ecoli - thanking you

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I am thinking of doing this race. I'm training for my first marathon this year. Is this race very late? I am hoping to get to 36/37KM before the marathon. This race is 3 weeks before the marathon so I am assuming it should be used as a taper run as I should be hitting my longest run a month before the marathon. Is that right? Any problem with running a race during tapering?

Thanks all for any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

audreyp wrote: »
    I am thinking of doing this race. I'm training for my first marathon this year. Is this race very late? I am hoping to get to 36/37KM before the marathon. This race is 3 weeks before the marathon so I am assuming it should be used as a taper run as I should be hitting my longest run a month before the marathon. Is that right? Any problem with running a race during tapering?

Thanks all for any advice.
    Run in athlone is placed perfectly for last long run for DCM,..

We have several Free Entries to this year's Dublin City Marathon to give away.

To be in the draw for a free entry all you need to do is be entered for the Athlone 3/4 Marathon before the higher entry price kicks in at midnight tonight :-)

Hopefully by now you are set to repeat your participation in this year's event but if not then entering today gives you a chance to win a free DCM entry for yourself or a friend if you are already entered.

Please do let any marathon training buddies you have know about this free draw thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Just entered. When doing these very long runs, the controlled environment of a race is a lot safer than running 20 miles out on the road by yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The eventmaster.ie site is down, so can't enter with the reduced price. Will it be extended to tomorrow? Dublin Marathon is having the same issue

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    The eventmaster.ie site is down, so can't enter with the reduced price. Will it be extended to tomorrow? Dublin Marathon is having the same issue

Apologies for not replying to this before now. We did extend the entries as a result of the Event Master outage.

We do have a facebook page with all the very latest updates:
    https://www.facebook.com/athlone3quartermarathon

We gave away one free Dublin Marathon entry already, but we've a few more to give away to those who enter Athlone 3/4 Marathon over the next few weeks. Get you're entry in before 22nd Aug to be in the next draw.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

For those of you running this in prep for DCM will you run it as at lsr or planned marathon pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

pudgeydev wrote: »
    For those of you running this in prep for DCM will you run it as at lsr or planned marathon pace?

I personally would not run it at marathon pace. I ran it at MP last year and trust me, almost 20 miles at that pace takes a lot from the body. After all, it's not long before DCM.

It's an enjoyable testing route. You have to run it sensibly in order to maximise your marathon day performance.

I would use it as a long run. For example, you could run it @MP+(30-60) seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Thanks, might chance it at PMP +30 secs for the first two thirds and see if I have the legs to bring it home...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

pudgeydev wrote: »
    Thanks, might chance it at PMP +30 secs for the first two thirds and see if I have the legs to bring it home...

Cool, sounds like a plan. I just think there is more to lose than to gain by going out at MP, particularly as most people find the last few miles of the race the toughest.

Enjoy the race, it's a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I personally would not run it at marathon pace. I ran it at MP last year and trust me, almost 20 miles at that pace takes a lot from the body. After all, it's not long before DCM.

It's an enjoyable testing route. You have to run it sensibly in order to maximise your marathon day performance.

I would use it as a long run. For example, you could run it @MP+(30-60) seconds.

+1 on that. Best to just use it as a long run, trying to hold marathon pace on that course(especally the last 3 or so miles)is suicide if you're thinking of running DCM. Great race though, lovely course, just needs to be run with a bit of caution.

The way I would recommend running this race is to take the first quarter easy. Don't get caught up racing at the start and ease into the race as if you're doing warm up for session.

Take in fluids at first stop and get used to consuming on the go.

Once you hit the quarter marathon point you can start to increase the pace. Running the last 1/2 marathon at your marathon pace is about right I would say. Make sure to save energy to ensure you are strong for the last 5km.

If you have been training for marathon, running 20 miles at a fast pace 3 weeks out allows more than sufficient time for recovery. The caveat here is that if you're not doing many long runs and are planning on just surviving marathon, then it will be very important to take it easy in 3/4 as your body may not be accustomed to this punishment and therefore will take longer to recover.

Most important thing with marathon training and marathon preparation racing is to listen to your body. Your body will give you loads of signs when you're going beyond your limits. Save pushing your limits and breaking new ground to the main event ...

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Question on the pacing here if someone might assist I'd appreciate it.

Its great to see the pacers for this race will be running at LSR pace for PMP times if that makes sense.

I'm working towards a 4hr DCM and will follow these pacers in Athlone. I understand they will be running somewhere around a 9:40min/mile pace. I run my LSR's on the slower end of the 4hr marathon pace at about 10:10min/mile.

So, should I work towards keeping up with a 9:40 pace for Athlone, or stick to my 10:10?

Many thanks
    KB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Question on the pacing here if someone might assist I'd appreciate it.

Its great to see the pacers for this race will be running at LSR pace for PMP times if that makes sense.

I'm working towards a 4hr DCM and will follow these pacers in Athlone. I understand they will be running somewhere around a 9:40min/mile pace. I run my LSR's on the slower end of the 4hr marathon pace at about 10:10min/mile.

So, should I work towards keeping up with a 9:40 pace for Athlone, or stick to my 10:10?

Many thanks
    KB

Killian,
    I think you should go with the pacers at 9:40/mile. It is after all designed for people just like you hoping for 4 hours DCM. It will still seem easier than your normal LSR because of the race environment and will give an appropriate workout pre Dublin. If you were going to run your usual LSR pace you'd miss out on the benefit of going to Athlone.
    I've done this before and found it an excellent prep for Dublin. Might even be back this year.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement

We are short a couple of pacers in the 3:00 and 4:00 marathon pace groups. Anyone out there interested in a pacing role?
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MissCatherine_

I just signed up for this. Last long run before my first marathon in NYC 4 weeks later on 2 November. Am using this as a training run really and will take it slow. My goal for the marathon is just to finish and provided this goes well it will be my last real confidence boost for the day.

Can't wait now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 roseypo

Hi
    I entered this ages ago thinking I would be doing DCM this year but that is no longer the plan due to injury! They are not doing deferrals but will do a free name change until the end of September. If anyone wants it send me a pm and will see if we can get it sorted.
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Hey is anyone driving down from Dublin to this (and back) on the morning?

The o/h will have the car this weekend but I'm very keen to enter this. Very positive, laid back individual. I'll contribute towards the fuel meter :)

Oh and I will be looking at a finish time of 2:50ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 roseypo

Hey - my ticket for Athlone is gone now, thanks a mill and good luck to you all doing Athlone, hope its a nice day for it!

Jay D wrote: »
    Hey is anyone driving down from Dublin to this (and back) on the morning?

The o/h will have the car this weekend but I'm very keen to enter this. Very positive, laid back individual. I'll contribute towards the fuel meter :)

Oh and I will be looking at a finish time of 2:50ish.

We will have a free bus operating from/to the central Athlone bus/train station if you don't find a volunteer to give you a lift.

I'm volunteering at this next Sunday and will be at a crossroads just short of ten miles in, if anybody wants me to hold a drinks bottle or anything else for them till them drop me a PM. I can collect it morning of the race from you at race HQ in Glasson Golf & Country Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tang1 wrote: »
    I'm volunteering at this next Sunday and will be at a crossroads just short of ten miles in, if anybody wants me to hold a drinks bottle or anything else for them till them drop me a PM. I can collect it morning of the race from you at race HQ in Glasson Golf & Country Club.

Myself and AMK will be wearing some balloons so make sure to give us a shout!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Myself and AMK will be wearing some balloons so make sure to give us a shout!!

I'll make sure to give ye a big holler.

• Advertisement

Still struggling to get 3 & 4 hr equivalent marathon pacers.
    Pacing is:
    - 3:00 Marathon Pace Group: Planned 2:22 for 3/4 Marathon = approx. 4:30/km = approx. 7:15/mile
    - 3:30 Marathon Pace Group: Planned 2:45 for 3/4 Marathon = approx. 5:15/km = approx. 8:25/mile
    - 4:00 Marathon Pace Group: Planned 3:10 for 3/4 Marathon = approx. 6:00/km = approx. 9:40/mile

Anyone up for it?
    Thanks

Advertisement