Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sunday 6th Oct 2013 at 11am

Options
  • 25-06-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Athlone ¾ Marathon is back this year. It sold out last year, so get your entries in as early as you can.

You can expect all from last year: digital timing, t-shirts, post-race massage, free transport to/from Athlone, good refreshments, pacers, etc etc

Entry fees:
    Before 30th June €39pp
    1st July to 31th August €44pp
    1st September to 3rd October €49pp

Race website: http://www.athlone3quarter.com

2011 race thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69887837
    2012 race thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77101430

Rate this race on (Views of the Moon, Atmosphere, Value and Organisation) 21 votes

Excellent
    0% 0 votes
    Very Good
    57% 12 votes
    Good
    42% 9 votes
    OK
    0% 0 votes
    Poor
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Entered already, found it great prep when I ran DCM a couple of years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

Excellent race, I'm in! Really enjoyed last year despite a cold meaning I was hacking like an 80-a-day smoker all the way round :)

Running a marathon two weeks later so might be a bit close for comfort but hopefully the many (for me) training miles from the first half of the year will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Great race, great location, perfect timing before DCM and the pacers get it spot on with the progressive pace run. Good last blow out marking the end of the hard work / beginning of taper before Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Already entered - looking forward to a non lonely 20miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Already entered. Be good prep for New York.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

I reckon im gonna enter this, Im just wondering how to approach it. Did people doing Dublin run it completely at PMP and if you did how was the recovery after? I assume anyone looking at an Autumn marathon wouldn't really be running it faster than PMP?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Pacers get it spot on, 1st 3rd of race is outside of PMP, the next 3rd is slightly faster and the final 3rd is at PMP. Just stick with them, takes the thinking out of it. Bazman is a 2:17 marathoner I think he knows best in how to approach a run like this 3 weeks out from a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Yep, entered this already too. Looking forward to it !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 RunMD

SOME TIPS , from experienced marathoners would be appreciated ,

What is the best approach for a race like this , with Dublin only 3 weeks after ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I ran the first 6 miles at long run pace. Did the next 12 at pmp and eased up for the last couple of miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

RunMD wrote: »
    SOME TIPS , from experienced marathoners would be appreciated ,

What is the best approach for a race like this , with Dublin only 3 weeks after ??

My recommendation is to run first half of the 3/4 marathon well within yourself. Enjoy yourself & relax. In the last 10k you should up the pace to your marathon pace. You'll finish with a smile and feel ready for Dublin with last big run complete. Worked for me anyway :)

I'm not a believer in very long tapers. 2 weeks is sufficient for most to freshen up for the big day. Just be careful not to run your season defining performance a few weeks before the key goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I presume you might be looking for pacers?
    I'd like to volunteer!
    cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 10 Toe Runner

In training for Dublin and have been trying to avoid the temptation of other races......trying to stay focused. However, reading all the positive comments about this race is really getting me thinking.

Should I use this as my final long run for Dublin. Seems more appealing that doing 20 miles on my own. What are the pitfalls? That weekend seems to be free, so might be an option.

In training for Dublin and have been trying to avoid the temptation of other races......trying to stay focused. However, reading all the positive comments about this race is really getting me thinking.

Should I use this as my final long run for Dublin. Seems more appealing that doing 20 miles on my own. What are the pitfalls? That weekend seems to be free, so might be an option.

This would be ideal for your final long run for Dublin. The only pitfall could be running it too fast but if you plan to use it as a long run then it's perfect for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Like the positive noises being made about this race, still on the fence about racing it close to DM though, if I show up I know I don't have the discipline to stick to it as a LSR... decisions decisions :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

kingQuez wrote: »
    Like the positive noises being made about this race, still on the fence about racing it close to DM though, if I show up I know I don't have the discipline to stick to it as a LSR... decisions decisions :pac:

Do the eco run the week before. Scenery in eastpoint is delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

Didnt even know this existed. This would fall right on the day of my second and last 20 miler for the DCM. Looks like everyone recommends to do it then?
    I might do, would be a bit of a drive but ok like. Not sure what pace I should do it at, maybe change it up at times.

Can people advise on how hilly it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭40whit

A few drags but only 1 hill of note at around 19 miles which will replicate heartbreak hill in dcm perfectly. A nice drag at 7km, 10km and 12km then it flattens out with a fair bit of downward drags until the hill at 19 miles. Lovely course and well supported a must for a training run as it gives you much needed race experience too to tweak pacing and other bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

event wrote: »
    Didnt even know this existed. This would fall right on the day of my second and last 20 miler for the DCM. Looks like everyone recommends to do it then?
    I might do, would be a bit of a drive but ok like. Not sure what pace I should do it at, maybe change it up at times.

Can people advise on how hilly it is?

Hi,

I'm doing this too, AFAIK there are a few hills but they'll only make you stronger for DCM :rolleyes: At least that's what I'm telling myself.

There are pace groups based on your projected Marathon pace, ie if you want to run DCM in 3:30, the equivalent pace group is 2:48:52

Lots of info here, looks to be really well thought out.
    http://www.athlone3quarter.com/faq.php

Can someone explain how the the pacing for this race works with the pacemakers.

Looking at the 3:30 marathon pace:
    1st QTR 8:54 2nd QTR 8:26 3rd QTR 8:26

3:15
    1st QTR 8:10 2nd QTR 7:50 3rd QTR 7:50

Would you not be better off running at 3:15 pace to replicate the 3:30 marathon pace?

• Advertisement

Can someone explain how the the pacing for this race works with the pacemakers.

Looking at the 3:30 marathon pace:
    1st QTR 8:54 2nd QTR 8:26 3rd QTR 8:26

3:15
    1st QTR 8:10 2nd QTR 7:50 3rd QTR 7:50

Would you not be better off running at 3:15 pace to replicate the 3:30 marathon pace?

It is thought it is it to close to Dublin to race this one flat out so for example the 3:30 pacers run the first 3rd at 3:30 pace +10% and the rest of the race +5% if I remember correctly.

The fact your doing New York I suppose means you might want to approach it differently as you have more time to recover properly.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    It is thought it is it to close to Dublin to race this one flat out so for example the 3:30 pacers run the first 3rd at 3:30 pace +10% and the rest of the race +5% if I remember correctly.

The fact your doing New York I suppose means you might want to approach it differently as you have more time to recover properly.

I wasn't talking about racing flat out. New York only a week after Dublin so not much there. Just thought the last quarter would be under 8 mins and 2nd quarter at 8 mins.

I have no idea about this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

It's run at slightly slower than M pace but faster than easy pace so it's a steady 20 miler rather than an easy 20 miler.

I think 20 miles at race pace would just leave you shot and ruin DCM for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

pointer28 wrote: »
    It's run at slightly slower than M pace but faster than easy pace so it's a steady 20 miler rather than an easy 20 miler.

I think 20 miles at race pace would just leave you shot and ruin DCM for you.

+1

It's not a flat out race, but more a progressive LSR with company. I've done the pacing for this the last couple of years and we've had to emphasis to people not to go flat out. This is one to run to plan to give confidence for racing DCM, but still we've seen people determined to run eyeballs out and end up struggling on the last big incline before the finish line, only to to more damage for DCM then good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Aimman wrote: »
    +1

It's not a flat out race, but more a progressive LSR with company. I've done the pacing for this the last couple of years and we've had to emphasis to people not to go flat out. This is one to run to plan to give confidence for racing DCM, but still we've seen people determined to run eyeballs out and end up struggling on the last big incline before the finish line, only to to more damage for DCM then good.

I know a few guys who raced this at or faster than MP last year and none of them achieved their marathon goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭ooter

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle service from/to athlone (train station) on the day of the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

I have an entry to give away for this, PM if you'd like it.
    The rules say transfers are OK, I just need to mail them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I'm signed up for this, but not doing it due to work travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

I have an entry to give away for this, PM if you'd like it.
    The rules say transfers are OK, I just need to mail them.

This is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Signed up for this yesterday! Bring it on!

Advertisement