Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish 3/4 Marathon (Formerly Athlone 3/4) Sun 9th Oct 2016

Options
  • 08-06-2016 10:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭

The 3/4 Marathon is being held on the quiet country roads near Longwood in south Meath this year.
    RACE WEBSITE HERE

You can expect:-

Well organised event
    Properly measured, marked and marshaled course
    1/4 marathon split timing,
    Distance markers in Km and Miles,
    4 on course & 1 finish line water/ food stations
    Post race showers
    Post race massage
    Pacers
    Race top that you will hopefully value and use again
    Personalised race numbers for those entering before 25th Sept
    Convenient free car parking
    Positive race experience
    Transparent pricing with no "extras" at checkout

Whilst the scenery or catering options might not be quite as good as our former Glasson golf hotel base which we have outgrown, the route will be flatter as requested by many as the climb is exactly 3/4 that of DCM :D

We again advise that the event be used as a preparation one with conservative pacing not flat out racing if doing DCM 3 weeks later.

Links to previous event threads as below:

2015 thread here

2014 thread here

2013 thread here

2012 thread here

2011 thread here

2010 thread here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

If you need a marshal drop me an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Looking forward to seeing new route.

I'm available if you need a pacer Paul.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

tang1 wrote: »
    If you need a marshal drop me an email.

Will be great to have you back again tang1.

Assigned position not likely to be as convenient to your house as last year but will be plenty of action to watch we hope.

Will be in touch in September and in interim let me know who your lucky buddy that wants a free entry is thanks

Looking forward to seeing new route.

I'm available if you need a pacer Paul.

Thanks Mick
    Offer accepted with thanks as I know you are in good shape after yer recent sub 3 marathon not to mention your battling performance at Run The Rock race last Saturday ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Did Athlone last year. Great other than the hills at the end! Looking forward to a flatter course nearer Dublin ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Looks good, dunno about running it but could do a bike marshall if that's any help.

Peterx wrote: »
    Looks good, dunno about running it but could do a bike marshall if that's any help.

Offer accepted thanks PeterX :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Curious about this. If people are running DCM 3 weeks later I presume they run this slower ? If so, by what margin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭28064212

kit3 wrote: »
    Curious about this. If people are running DCM 3 weeks later I presume they run this slower ? If so, by what margin ?
    Depends on how it fits into your plan. Lots of plans would have a 30km LSR scheduled 3 weeks out from Dublin, so it's just another training run. Other plans would have a marathon pace section included.

Last year, I went for:
    • First third (quarter-marathon) at MP + 20s
    • Second third at MP + 10s
    • Last third at MP
    Worked pretty well. I definitely wouldn't race it, or even do all of it at MP

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

kit3 wrote: »

I was thinking of using the event as a session 3x5m @ MP (or 4x4m etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I ran it 3 years ago, all at MP, was chuffed with myself and felt very confident on DCM day. Didn't hit my target on the day, hard to say if it was entirely due to this but I definitely wouldn't race it again as EVERYONE suggests above and everyone suggested 3 years ago :)

Even the pacers for sub X, race at x pace +

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭opus

Going to miss it this year cause of the Chicago marathon, I actually liked the old route, that nice hill towards the finish taught me a bit about proper pacing after having to walk up parts of it my first year running it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I ran it 3 years ago, all at MP, was chuffed with myself and felt very confident on DCM day. Didn't hit my target on the day, hard to say if it was entirely due to this but I definitely wouldn't race it again as EVERYONE suggests above and everyone suggested 3 years ago :)

Even the pacers for sub X, race at x pace +

So, just to be clear, if targetting a 4 hour DCM, the LSR would be around the 10 minute per mile pace..is that the pace the Sub 4 pacer would be running in this race? That sounds fantastic if it's the case.

I'm about to sign up...this will be the clincher :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

From http://irish3quartermarathon.ie/faq/

4:00 Marathon Pace Group: Planned 3:10 for 3/4 Marathon = approx. 6:00/km = approx. 9:40/mile

(standard pacer advice applies here though - they're great to have available and you could well use them as an aid, but ultimately you're responsible for your own pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Singer wrote: »
    From http://irish3quartermarathon.ie/faq/

4:00 Marathon Pace Group: Planned 3:10 for 3/4 Marathon = approx. 6:00/km = approx. 9:40/mile

(standard pacer advice applies here though - they're great to have available and you could well use them as an aid, but ultimately you're responsible for your own pace)

I'm in !! Thanks Singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Just signed up for this earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I'm in too, thanks to Toyboy

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'm in too, thanks to Toyboy

TbL

I'm doing this too - planning some sort of session for this.
    Has your coach any ideas/plans on how to run this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭donnacha

Looking to sign myself and the Mrs up for this one - any boardsie discount codes being offered by the organisers (who I think are boards users)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I'm interested in this too...sounds a lot better than the three laps of Phoenix Park required to get 20 miles in. I'll be finishing somewhere around the 4 hour mark...maybe a little later. Will there still be showers available then? I often come in as facilities are shutting down (yay being a slowpoke) so I thought I'd ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 suzie2

Thinking of doing this as my lr before the DCM and discount codes out there for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I just filled out the registration form there now. In the discount box I gambled and typed in the word "boards" and it gave me €5 off the price.

AAD wrote: »
    I just filled out the registration form there now. In the discount box I gambled and typed in the word "boards" and it gave me €5 off the price.

Good job on that gamble AAD - Set it up a while back but forgot to post it here :eek:!

Showers will hopefully still be warm but no guarantees on that one Extrasupervery - Aren't the cold shower / ice bath better for post race / training recovery anyways :-)?

Generally recommended not to race this event at MP if doing DCM
    Extra info here http://irish3quartermarathon.ie/marathon-training/

We are well ahead of last year's entry levels and expect to sell out a couple of weeks early so get entered now if planning to do it thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Excuseless wrote: »
    Good job on that gamble AAD - Set it up a while back but forgot to post it here :eek:!

Showers will hopefully still be warm but no guarantees on that one Extrasupervery - Aren't the cold shower / ice bath better for post race / training recovery anyways :-)?

Generally recommended not to race this event at MP if doing DCM
    Extra info here http://irish3quartermarathon.ie/marathon-training/

We are well ahead of last year's entry levels and expect to sell out a couple of weeks early so get entered now if planning to do it thanks

Expecting a sell out, quick get it on the national airwaves, out to clubs, a letter in everybody's door. You don't want it to be all your fault when people miss the race. 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Looking forward to it.
    Discount code of Boards gives a €5 off, for those that haven't caught up on previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I'm in, but bizarrely, I will miss the hills from old course. I actually loved them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

If anybody is looking for a free entry, I have one. I registered way back in April but I'm a non-runner unfortunately - I really enjoyed the race last year so was really looking forward to it. Transfers are available until September 25th so I can transfer the number into someones name.

Can I transfer my number if I can’t run?
    YES – We will take entry transfers (1 per entry) up until 25th September 2016
    Please e-mail any transfer requests to info@outfront.ie before 25th September
    On 26th September we will order our personalised race numbers so transfer requests must be received prior to that date
    No deferrals to subsequent events are possible

Entries will close when we fill last remaining places today :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Neady83 wrote: »
    If anybody is looking for a free entry, I have one. I registered way back in April but I'm a non-runner unfortunately - I really enjoyed the race last year so was really looking forward to it. Transfers are available until September 25th so I can transfer the number into someones name.

Can I transfer my number if I can’t run?
    YES – We will take entry transfers (1 per entry) up until 25th September 2016
    Please e-mail any transfer requests to info@outfront.ie before 25th September
    On 26th September we will order our personalised race numbers so transfer requests must be received prior to that date
    No deferrals to subsequent events are possible

PM Sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

3/4 entry gone to a good home :)

Advertisement