Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BE strike [Read 1st post before posting]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

pjohnson wrote: »
    Even though I'm now going to be dishing out €75 tomoro to get to town and home I'm actually glad to spend it if it means BE goes bust and these moronic strikers go to the dole. They do annual strikes at this stage. They clearly dont want to work just complain and get extremely good pay. Just sick to death of them holding the country to ransom.

the strikers won't be going to the dole. if they don't want to work then there would be no service at all, the fact that there is means clearly they do want to work. i can't remember when the last bus eireann strike was so again it's clear that they don't hold annual strikes. they don't hold the country to ransom and never have.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's not the same as the UK allow for unregulated routes. The PSO can be tendered out for one or multiple routes.

On many routes already there are private operators anyway but they don't have the benefit of a subsidy.

They don't get a subsidy because they aren't PSO routes.

The main contention I've seen in the news with Bus Eireann is trying to off load Express Way. This part of their business is not funded by subsidy either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

daheff wrote: »
    cant understand the logic of the BE workers on this. company is about to go bust and they wont accept a pay cut to try keep it going?

I understand a pay cut on its own wont solve the problem, but it will help. I know BE has to do other things to help resolve the issue, but staff unwilling to help save their own jobs is just illogical. Do they think Ross has a money tree to help them out?

We all know Ross will fold faster than superman on laundry day, with reductions on income tax and USC put back for yet another year to pay for it. He just has to make it seem to the public like he is standing up to them but we all know it's all just an act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

We all know Ross will fold faster than superman on laundry day, with reductions on income tax and USC put back for yet another year to pay for it. He just has to make it seem to the public like he is standing up to them but we all know it's all just an act.

The state cannot subsidise a commercial enterprise.

Thank God for Europe.

The state cannot subsidise a commercial enterprise.

Thank God for Europe.

bus eireann as a whole isn't a commercial enterprise. only part of it is
    states can and do "subsidise" either in one off or an ongoing form, commercial enterprises when it suits them.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

This just plays into the private operators hands(where an alternative exists), a lot of goodwill will be lost by those struggling to get to work.

This maybe a motive for management where the expressway will show further losses giving more merit to shutdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

That would be an excellent result, regardless of the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

i can't remember when the last bus eireann strike was so again it's clear that they don't hold annual strikes. they don't hold the country to ransom and never have.

2015 alongside DB against privatisation before that 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭daheff

We all know Ross will fold faster than superman on laundry day, with reductions on income tax and USC put back for yet another year to pay for it.

How much does BE need? 30/40m ? How much do we collect in IC /USC? in the billions. I cant see a cut in IC/USC being put back to cover a relatively small amount

bus eireann as a whole isn't a commercial enterprise. only part of it is
    states can and do "subsidise" either in one off or an ongoing form, commercial enterprises when it suits them.

The Irish government won't get away with subsidising Expressway, not when there are commercial operators in the market. It's the same reason the government couldn't bail out Aer Lingus back in the day.

The privates will be watching closely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

NBRU can't 'rule out' Dublin and Irish Rail will go out in sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,211 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

the strikers won't be going to the dole. if they don't want to work then there would be no service at all, the fact that there is means clearly they do want to work. i can't remember when the last bus eireann strike was so again it's clear that they don't hold annual strikes. they don't hold the country to ransom and never have.

They are doing it now,that's all that matters.

What's their strategy.

1. Hope that public opinion will force Rosses' hand

2. Hope to drag other transport utilities into the mix as implied by Noone on Drivetime.

3. Hope that public 'support' by people who don't see the big picture will sway the Govt.to get involved.

The issues here are quite simple. The cost base in BE is way out of kilter with their competitors as are the work practices.

This needs to be sorted, not fudged by endless agreements and conditions.

The taxpayer( you and me) in case you are wondering, are paying for this.

I for one can see that in my opinion I am being gouged by these people, and want to get value for money.

I've said it before, if the other two go out in sympathy then NBRU should be sued for loss of earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If they do then it's the end of CIE. Hopefully BE will quickly fold and it's routes be tendered out. I wonder have the NTA got a plan in place at all.

I feel sorry for ordinary commuters caught up in this but BE has to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Then it will be no different then the UK which turned out to be a mess similar to the huge issues with the rail also.

Bad idea giving up or losing publicly owned industries such as transport and other issues like housing and roads.

It just makes someone richer and richer while the rest will suffer.

laughable. In the ROI, anything state run, the only ones creaming it in are the employees for a **** service.

murphaph wrote: »
    If they do then it's the end of CIE. Hopefully BE will quickly fold and it's routes be tendered out. I wonder have the NTA got a plan in place at all.

I feel sorry for ordinary commuters caught up in this but BE has to go now.

Absolutely, time this gouging of the taxpayer was stood up to.

Like yourself I feel sorry for the commuters and also for the genuine people working in BE who seem to be pawns in a power game.

The public should really look as this closely and tell these people that the gravy train has hit the buffers.

Absolutely, time this gouging of the taxpayer was stood up to.

Like yourself I feel sorry for the commuters and also for the genuine people working in BE who seem to be pawns in a power game.

The public should really look as this closely and tell these people that the gravy train has hit the buffers.
    if people can park for free in their place of work or college, I have no sympathy. The notion of not driving in this strike infested, 3rd world transport kip, is beyond a joke... take some responsibility, cause the Irish state sure wont!
    It said that the company's financial losses for January and February of this year are 41% higher than for the same period in 2016. It also said that losses for last year were €9.4m.
    Id love to see the break down on these figures! I.e. how much is due to higher costs v lost customers etc. 41% year on year is staggering!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    if people can park for free in their place of work or college, I have no sympathy. The notion of not driving in this strike infested, 3rd world transport kip, is beyond a joke... take some responsibility, cause the Irish state sure wont!

Up to the public to fight back and not give these people free rein to carry on gouging us.

Might take a week or two, but that would be worth it to see this lot off.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    2015 alongside DB against priva titration before that 2013

thanks.

Up to the public to fight back and not give these people free rein to carry on gouging us.

Might take a week or two, but that would be worth it to see this lot off.
    I agree, anyone currently using BE who has an alternative, have themselves to blame. Stop using BE, a far better alternative will be put in place...

• Advertisement

The Irish government won't get away with subsidising Expressway, not when there are commercial operators in the market. It's the same reason the government couldn't bail out Aer Lingus back in the day.

The privates will be watching closely.

not if they simply subsidize/bail out. however, there are ways around it if the government are clever enough. the privates can watch away but unless they can provide reasonable proof that subsidization in any form is or has taken place, then i would suggest that in my view, they won't be able to do jot.

they can't rule it in either as sympathy strikes are illegal.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    Stop using BE, a far better alternative will be put in place...

a like for like replacement, which is likely what will only be implemented, is not a far bettor, or better alternative. for it to be a better alternative in my view, we would need to see a big fare reduction and a large service increase. i don't believe either will happen, as the government want us the passenger to take the greater share of paying for it.

not if they simply subsidize/bail out. however, there are ways around it if the government are clever enough. the privates can watch away but unless they can provide reasonable proof that subsidization in any form is or has taken place, then i would suggest that in my view, they won't be able to do jot.

But you see, if the government come up with some scheme to effectively funnel money to BÉ, it is obviously state aid. It's not like it's unknown that there are problems at BÉ so every court would see through what was happening and the motives behind it. The courts are not stupid.

It's not possible to give BE aid without giving it to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I for one can see that in my opinion I am being gouged by these people, and want to get value for money.
    Sure you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

a like for like replacement, which is likely what will only be implemented, is not a far bettor, or better alternative. for it to be a better alternative in my view, we would need to see a big fare reduction and a large service increase. i don't believe either will happen, as the government want us the passenger to take the greater share of paying for it.

My bin service by city bin provides essentially the same service as the council did prior except they do it better and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

daheff wrote: »
    cant understand the logic of the BE workers on this. company is about to go bust and they wont accept a pay cut to try keep it going?

I understand a pay cut on its own wont solve the problem, but it will help. I know BE has to do other things to help resolve the issue, but staff unwilling to help save their own jobs is just illogical. Do they think Ross has a money tree to help them out?

That is what they want
    It's hard to argue though that money should be diverted from health education and welfare (which make up 81% of the budget) to prop up overtime pay at a failing company when we don't have enough medical staff or bed capacity to handle an ordinary Saturday night never mind a mass casualty situation like a pandemic or terrorist attack

What's hilarious in its stupidity is withdrawing BEs service only highlights (by forcing people to look up) alternatives and if they think the train (to Belfast or Newry as it is) is more comfy or private operators better they might just be handing the competition more customers
    Part of this is the fault of what we did in the tiger era the govt with full opposition support gave PS pay a blank cheque of hikes and now they come looking for "restoration " when the budget still has a large deficit and their company's failing

There are aspects of the market regs need fixing but the premium payments at BE are unsustainable and ridiculous
    If you're loosing 180 a week in regular over time here your overtones way too high

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

pjohnson wrote: »
    Even though I'm now going to be dishing out €75 tomoro to get to town and home I'm actually glad to spend it if it means BE goes bust and these moronic strikers go to the dole. They do annual strikes at this stage. They clearly dont want to work just complain and get extremely good pay. Just sick to death of them holding the country to ransom.

You sound like a delightful person

You sound like a delightful person

State needs more of people like that lad.

People who don't appreciate being gouged by punters who can't seem to understand competition.

Rostered overtime...... C'mon lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

State needs more of people like that lad.

People who don't appreciate being gouged by punters who can't seem to understand competition.

Rostered overtime...... C'mon lad!

You're gorgeous too!

Thanking a post that calls people morons, suggesting the employees are striking for the fun of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

As an aside, school kids on buses provided by CIE, will they too be discommoded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Bus Eireann

An Post

Rte

All shagged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement