Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue 116 Crash at Blackrock, Co Mayo(Mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

irishgeo wrote: »
    The past flight track on marine traffic doesn't show a stop in Blacksod.

Indeed, the tracking on marine traffic shows it flew straight to the area, westwards, and then turned back for Blacksod.

Go n-éiri an bóthar leat Captain Dara

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Very sad news. RIP. Condolences to the families and friends of all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

crashplan wrote: »
    Shocking news.

They head into harms way so others may live.

They are genuine heroes.

RIP Captain Dara Fitzpatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

vicwatson wrote: »
    Indeed, the tracking on marine traffic shows it flew straight to the area, westwards, and then turned back for Blacksod.

Go n-éiri an bóthar leat Captain Dara

Very saddened to hear of the loss of the aircraft and Captain Fitzpatrick. An awful tragedy.

Radar cloud breaks are a common procedure for helicopters which transition from IFR to VFR. They will head out to sea where there are no known obstacles and set a constant rate of descent until they break the cloud layer and can continue VFR.

While I cannot be sure that this is the case, it is a consideration. The altitude that they cruised at from Dublin would be a good indication. Would explain the initial outbound turn before turning and descending toward black sod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A bitter sweet vid with Dara from a good few years ago which was posted in the Rescue 117 thread at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

this is just awful, my heart goes out to their poor families, these are the true heros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Wreckage from coast guard helicopter brought to shore

http://www.thejournal.ie/rescue-116-wreckage-3287178-Mar2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Go Mairidis Beo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is the Norwegian fish transporter in the search area helping or passing through?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Statement from the family of Capt Dara Fitzpatrick.

A true heroine that the country owes a debt of gratitude towards. RIP

https://twitter.com/todayfmnews/status/841677672094846976

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

irishgeo wrote: »
    Is the Norwegian fish transporter in the search area helping or passing through?

Helping I'd say, it's based at Clare Island's salmon farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Credit to the fishing vessels helping out in the search, I know they rely on the CG more than most but they've put in one hell of a shift today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Gutted about this. Very sombre around my area today. SAR runs deep here and the helis fly past almost daily.

Thoughts are with the families and IRCG members.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

RIP captain Fitzpatrick terrible:(

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Like many before me here, I sometimes hear these rescue helis heading out on nights that I would be hesitant to take a walk to the end of the garden myself

So brave, to do what they they do day in day out
    They are great people.

Very very sorry that they should lose their lives, and thoughts are with their families

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Very sad news. It is extraordinary work that they do - team work, planning, navigation skills, reading the weather, communication skills, manoeuvring the aircraft in tight spaces, knowing its limits, avoiding getting tangled in trawler equipment, to the winching. As well as the families of the crew, a shout out the maintenance teams as well. Their work is more invisible, but I'm sure (not casting blame) they feel terrible too.

Unfortunately, on hearing the news first thing this morning I had a feeling it was Dara's face that was going to be shown once updates started to emerge. She made her mark on the world and we should all be grateful for that. RIP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

CardinalJ wrote: »
    All the remaining ICG S92s are heading away from the scene so maybe Air C are covering for a while? They must be burning through flight hours.

The loss of a helicopter does not negate their primary job. ICG doesn't have that many helicopters, and they may have more lives to save in their regular areas of responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

light starting to fade here. i imagine a suspension of the search will occur soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

They are going to keep the surface search going, but the air is going to called off until about 7am tomorrow according to coast guard.

There are at least 5 or 6 trawlers there all day and LE Roisin is going to be joined tonight by another Naval ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Yep, the Casa is on the way home, just east of castlebar at the moment. A very very sad day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Le Eithne joining the search now

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The loss of a helicopter does not negate their primary job. ICG doesn't have that many helicopters, and they may have more lives to save in their regular areas of responsibility.
    Indeed. This is a sobering thought. In such a close knit community some of the SAR crew will be unable to join the search for their colleagues today and tonight (or even process the incident fully) as they will have to maintain standby for any other offshore callouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Was rescue 116 SAR 250002899 on marine traffic?

this is really horrible news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Massive respect shown by the trawlers helping out with the search. You could see their tracks change from 1/2am and they all headed straight for the scene and have been there searching ever since. Just shows how much they appreciate the work that the Irish Coast Guard do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Tenger wrote: »
    Indeed. This is a sobering thought. In such a close knit community some of the SAR crew will be unable to join the search for their colleagues today and tonight (or even process the incident fully) as they will have to maintain standby for any other offshore callouts.

I think it was just chance that they all went off at that time. Sligo still up there Shannon and Waterford home. I'd assume they'll all be back for first light but as you said have to be ready in case something happens tonight.

I presume the helicopters will have been changing crews as the day went on?

There is a spare S92 normally based at Shannon, I think? Presumably will have to be deployed full time to Dublin soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
    I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air...
    Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
    I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark or even eagle flew --
    And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

RIP to the crew of Rescue 116

• Registered Users Posts: 81,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

TG4 Nuacht mentioned the Celtic Voyager is on its way to the scene from Rossaveel, it has advanced sonar that will aid the search for wreckage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭InTheAttic

RIP to the crew members. So terribly sad :(

It reminds me of that unfortunate Aer Corps helicopter crash back in 1999 when 4 airmen lost their lives during their return from a successful rescue mission.

Gone but never forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Awful, rest in peace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Stunned at the news, 116 flew over my house almost daily. I remember watching the Waterford documentary and being amazed by the work they do, I didn't realise Captain Fitzpatrick had moved to 116. Puts it all into perspective. May she rest in peace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement