Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue 116 Crash at Blackrock, Co Mayo(Mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Gerard O'Flynn of the Coast Guard confirms that Captain Dara Fitzpatrick of Rescue116 has died Rip, 3 crew members still missing

Thoughts and prayers with families and comrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

January wrote: »
    The person lifted from the water this morning has passed away. Rest in peace Dara

First casualty of Coast Guard helicopter crash named as Captain Dara Fitzpatrick http://jrnl.ie/3286936

She was one of the crew on the fly on the wall documentary Rescue 117 based in Waterford? She'll be well recognised outside the community too. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Aww no I was hoping when we didn't hear anything that there might have been some hope.. RIP Dara :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    She was one of the crew on the fly on the wall documentary Rescue 117 based in Waterford? She'll be well recognised outside the community too. RIP.

One of the great personalities from that programme, fantastic story of pursuing a career as a pilot. Embodiment of the professionalism, courage and compassion of all the ICG helo crews.

Very sad day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

This is terrible. RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Met and spoke with her a few times in work. Seemed to be a very calm and composed person. RIP Dara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

emo72 wrote: »
    I'd hate to think they had gone out and were cutting their fuel supply close.

Was thinking the same, maybe the pilot might have though he could ditch on land rather than the sea, but didn't make it. It still wouldn't account in either sceaniro, that no comms where received from R116.

These guys are experts, highly trained and well experienced. The only thing that I imagine would bring down the aircraft would be catastrophic engine or gear box failure. But again lacks of comms for help. Very strange and an awful situation. I just hope that guy in hospital comes out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tragic, absolutely heartbroken here.

I am sitting in work, so was she. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yep, I'm from Waterford and have nothing but admiration for what she and her crew did. RIP. Sad sad day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

TallGlass wrote: »
    Was thinking the same, maybe the pilot might have though he could ditch on land rather than the sea, but didn't make it. It still wouldn't account in either sceaniro, that no comms where received from R116.

These guys are experts, highly trained and well experienced. The only thing that I imagine would bring down the aircraft would be catastrophic engine or gear box failure. But again lacks of comms for help. Very strange and an awful situation. I just hope that guy in hospital comes out of this.

If that would have happened would they have had any time to get a mayday call out or would they have been to occupied in trying to recover the aircraft even if it was just seconds they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

adam88 wrote: »
    If that would have happened would they have had any time to get a mayday call out or would they have been to occupied in trying to recover the aircraft even if it was just seconds they had.

Its strange none of the beacons went off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

January wrote: »
    The person lifted from the water this morning has passed away. Rest in peace Dara

First casualty of Coast Guard helicopter crash named as Captain Dara Fitzpatrick http://jrnl.ie/3286936

Wow, she came across (well the whole crew did) as a great person when on RTE's documentary series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Jeez wept, this is beyond tragic. Heartbroken for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Is it always the same crew of 4?
    Or do they have a crew of other standby crew to select from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The person in the hospital is confirmed dead. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I just saw a picture of her on the Indo website, and I'm sure I saw her on that documentary too. Poor poor woman and her crew. I'm very upset about the whole thing. Just doing their jobs in trying circumstances much of the time -saving lives. I know I couldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

RIP Absolutely devastating news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Ah Christ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

adam88 wrote: »

Pilot could have suffered spatial disorientation or spatial orientation. The results are usually that the craft is flown into the sea. If it ran out of fuel pilots are taught to auto rotate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

RIP absolute hero's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I remember that documentary well, absolutely terrible terrible news! I have nothing but respect for anyone who puts their life at risk to help others!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

True heros these people, selflessly putting themselves at risk in order to help others. I was on holidays in Clare last summer with the family and one of the local search and rescue helicopters were doing exercises in the area. When the crew saw the crowds of children emerging from the campsite we were staying in, they stopped what they were doing and bought all the kids over and gave a guided tour of the aircraft, along with loads of water safety tips, before doing a demonstration, hovering while winching up crew members. it was the highlight of the kids (and mine) holiday.

RIP to the pilot that has already lost her life and here's hoping the rest of the crew are recovered alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Awful news. Really tragic. Thoughts to all their family and friends.
    Captain Fitzpatrick was on a few documentaries with RTE (they're on YouTube is anyone wants to watch) , came across as a really nice woman. As did all the crew. Very very sad loss. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

not quoting your post

But this is not the time for speculation.

I remember her from the documentary, the thread is on the site here about 6 years back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67932705

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Just heard. Gutted. Met her and she was lovely, always gave time to show people the aircraft. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

irishgeo wrote: »
    Its strange none of the beacons went off.

Awful news about the pilot.

Only other thing that would account for total system loss would be a power failure/loss of systems or small fire.

All very mysterious, I feel for the guys today in the ICG, awful event. They must be thinking the same as us, as to what caused it. I suppose it also puts training into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

not quoting your post

But this is not the time for speculation.

I remember her from the documentary, the thread is on the site here about 6 years back.

We will wait so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

Shocking news.

They head into harms way so others may live.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement