Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue 116 Crash at Blackrock, Co Mayo(Mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

irishgeo wrote: »
    Would they have personal locators?
    Yes they would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭crisco10

Shane_ef wrote: »

Eerie that you can still see 116 on the radar (with last update ~11hours ago) just off Blackrock. Can see its track from Dublin and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

beanian wrote: »
    Yes they would have.

That is not good news then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Are the helicopters not fitted with transponders as well as AIS? Altitude reporting would have been helpful here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

News describing the found crew member as Male

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Life boat was prob checking out coast of Achill. Achill coast guard have issued a statement asking people to check the north coast of the island for anything of note

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

IAC SAR on course back to the scene now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

cosanostra wrote: »
    Life boat was prob checking out coast of Achill. Achill coast guard have issued a statement asking people to check the north coast of the island for anything of note

The North coast of achill doesn't have much population and is very inaccessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A lot of the CHC crew are Irish, even though it's a UK company, so lots of ex-Air Corps in there. Quite a few ex-RN/RAF, too and civil-origin crew, also. So, a lot of attention being paid all across Ireland and the UK and in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Stovepipe wrote: »
    A lot of the CHC crew are Irish, even though it's a UK company, so lots of ex-Air Corps in there. Quite a few ex-RN/RAF, too and civil-origin crew, also. So, a lot of attention being paid all across Ireland and the UK and in the US.

Would the US UK use the same type of helicopter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Are the helicopters not fitted with transponders as well as AIS? Altitude reporting would have been helpful here

Supposedly in 99 they had SABRE and ELT so a dual system, if thats still current today others will know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭Bigbok

irishgeo wrote: »
    Would the US UK use the same type of helicopter?

I use the same helicopter to fly to my offshore oil rigs in the uk.S92 as all the 225 super pumas are banned by the oil companies.problem with CHC is cutting corners with maintenance that's why there's no faith in the choppers in the oil industry but hopefully the coastguard choppers are maintained to a better standard

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

DBB wrote: »
    IAC SAR on course back to the scene now

Was an IAC heli there? I see that Medevac 112 is in the air. I would have thought that they'd be on a regular mission but they're headed in that direction alright. A 135 took off from Baldonnel a few minutes ago but I'm not sure where that's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Awful news, I grew up on an island off Donegal and there are multiple people in the area who wouldn't be there today but for the heroic actions of the coastguard and RNLI. Regularly see the helicopters doing training exercises with the ferries as well as medical evacs so it really hits home. Hopefully some positive news to come

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Nearly 12 hours now, this isn't good at all. I wonder if they are holding off releasing the bad news to the media and want to let the family's know first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

crisco10 wrote: »
    Eerie that you can still see 116 on the radar (with last update ~11hours ago) just off Blackrock. Can see its track from Dublin and everything.

Forgive my stupidity. Where does it state 116 on that map? is that it shaded out north of Black Rock, if it is, is that not a good distance away from where they're looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Bigbok wrote: »
    I use the same helicopter to fly to my offshore oil rigs in the uk.S92 as all the 225 super pumas are banned by the oil companies.problem with CHC is cutting corners with maintenance that's why there's no faith in the choppers in the oil industry but hopefully the coastguard choppers are maintained to a better standard
    I can assure you chc don't cut corners on maintenance.

14-31-m9k7k-ragd0.jpg
    Forgive my stupidity. Where does it state 116 on that map? is that it shaded out north of Black Rock, if it is, is that not a good distance away from where they're looking?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Peregrine wrote: »
    Was an IAC heli there? I see that Medevac 112 is in the air. I would have thought that they'd be on a regular mission but they're headed in that direction alright. A 135 took off from Baldonnel a few minutes ago but I'm not sure where that's going.

Sorry... To clarify, it's SARA 1110 that is now back in the area, presumably after refuelling/crew change in Mullingar.
    Eugene Clonan reported a short while ago, I think on Newstalk, that the IAC helis are on standby having offered assistance. He said they don't want too many aircraft in the one place.

• Advertisement

Sorry... To clarify, it's SARA 1110 that is now back in the area, presumably after refuelling/crew change in Mullingar.
    Eugene Clonan reported a short while ago, I think on Newstalk, that the IAC helis are on standby having offered assistance. He said they don't want too many aircraft in the one place.

Presumably they will be offered in a case where the ICG helis would be normally needed, regular shouts

The greyed out one just to the west of Black Rock. I'm sure they've already checked that area. Could be at a location anywhere in the region dictated by currents.

Besides, I'm not sure what the reporting interval picked up by the website is. i.e. there could have been maybe a minute between the location on the website and when the aircraft went down. Maybe the ICG has a more accurate location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Sar 1110 is the Air Corps Casa it does not go to Mullingar , Air Corps 112 is currently on a tasking near Westport Co Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Peregrine wrote: »
    Yes

I never see them on Flightradar, only Air Corps 112 makes a regular appearance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

TallGlass wrote: »
    Nearly 12 hours now, this isn't good at all. I wonder if they are holding off releasing the bad news to the media and want to let the family's know first.

I'm sure the families are kept (well) up to date.

As they are sending divers to the scene, you'd have to think that the main fuselage of the heli is under water/has sunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

crisco10 wrote: »

The reason why Rescue 116 is showing on Marine Traffic is because that is the last known position ,the blue colour changes to a very light shade of blue and will be seen for a number of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I never see them on Flightradar, only Air Corps 112 makes a regular appearance.

There's a ceiling that FR24 covers. FL100 I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Lots of media saying that last contact was from the crew saying they were heading to blacksod to refuel and THEN head out into the Atlantic.
    I'm assuming they have details wrong and they had competed their task and were returning to blacksod to refuel before setting off for Dublin?

jimbis wrote: »
    Lots of media saying that last contact was from the crew saying they were heading to blacksod to refuel and THEN head out into the Atlantic.
    I'm assuming they have details wrong and they had competed their task and were returning to blacksod to refuel before setting off for Dublin?

14-47-lgird-60sms.jpg

They did turn back, possibly for fuel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

I hope that wasn't an illegal Russian factory trawler that we were wasting resources on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement