Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue 116 Crash at Blackrock, Co Mayo(Mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'm sure the families are kept (well) up to date.

As they are sending divers to the scene, you'd have to think that the main fuselage of the heli is under water/has sunk.

One of the missing men has young kids. Tragic day for a lot of people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Sar 1110 is the Air Corps Casa it does not go to Mullingar , Air Corps 112 is currently on a tasking near Westport Co Mayo.

Just relating what showed up on a quick glance at marinetraffic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

cson wrote: »
    I hope that wasn't an illegal Russian factory trawler that we were wasting resources on.

I doubt the men and women of the coastguard would agree with the sentiment, which makes it rather disrespectful in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I hope that wasn't an illegal Russian factory trawler that we were wasting resources on.

Still a human being in need of assistance the legality of their employer has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I doubt the men and women of the coastguard would agree with the sentiment, which makes it rather disrespectful in this context.

A life is a life, EMS personally put there lives on the line for anyone that needs help, so ya rather poor taste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Shane_ef wrote: »
    14-47-lgird-60sms.jpg

They did turn back, possibly for fuel

from what i heard on radio one report. the mission was complete and they were on their way back to blacksod to refuel and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Time and a place dude, and that's not here.

Apologies, just trying to understand what's happened, deleted post.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Time and a place dude, and that's not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MissTheDome

Bolted up in the bed at 12.30. Sounded like it was landing in the garden... checked the garden, there was nothing but thick fog.. went back to bed very uneasy. We are used to it on the island, but Christ, it woke my father .. neighbours.. everyone. Possibly the rescue one with the casualty?

We look across this stretch of water every day. No one understands the line between life and death better than the emergency services. Our thoughts are on every wave out there. God help them.

The helicopter beacon if it hits the water didn't activate nor did the personal locator beacons for the crew. That explains the long search. That's a huge mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭emo72

irishgeo wrote: »
    from what i heard on radio one report. the mission was complete and they were on their way back to blacksod to refuel and go home.

And i heard the opposite on pat Kenny this morning. Left Dublin? Stopping in blacksod to refuel and then heading west to continue mission. Pat was quite specific about his questioning, probably because we are hearing conflicting reports on what it had flown on the mission.

I was under the impression it had finished it's mission at sea and was on the way back to refuel at blacksod.

I'd hate to think they had gone out and were cutting their fuel supply close.

emo72 wrote: »
    And i heard the opposite on pat Kenny this morning. Left Dublin? Stopping in blacksod to refuel and then heading west to continue mission. Pat was quite specific about his questioning, probably because we are hearing conflicting reports on what it had flown on the mission.

I was under the impression it had finished it's mission at sea and was on the way back to refuel at blacksod.

I'd hate to think they had gone out and were cutting their fuel supply close.

The past flight track on marine traffic doesn't show a stop in Blacksod.

The helicopter beacon if it hits the water didn't activate nor did the personal locator beacons for the crew. That explains the long search. That's a huge mystery.

The source is an interview with Rte western correspont on Rte radio one.

Yeah totally agree. Hearing different accounts on the news this morning. I'm pretty positive whoever pat was interviewing said it was landing in blacksod to refuel and heading west. I'm 100% he said west. Confusion abounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Was on the rescue 116 last year when it was in our local GAA pitch..amazing machine and the lads were so good with the kids.

I hope against all odds they have a positive outcome,any outcome and soon for the sake of the families.
    Can't imagine how tough it is for the other crews to be looking for their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Eugene Clonan clearly states on rte radio this morning that 116 flew direct from dublin past blacksod and turned back to refuel at blacksod but never made it. he stated this was a normal way to approach blacksod by going out to sea by 10 miles and returning

give it a listen here https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/841567480761864193

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

SAR1110 on that live map has done some rounds of that area if you look at its flight path :( gives me goosebumps thinking about what they must all be going through. Hoping beyond hope that there is some news soon. Chopper seems to have left Sligo also, looks like its headed south east again..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Yeah totally agree. Hearing different accounts on the news this morning. I'm pretty positive whoever pat was interviewing said it was landing in blacksod to refuel and heading west. I'm 100% he said west. Confusion abounds.

Interview on RTe morning Ireland stated that it was normal to approach blacksod from the West. Coast Guard rep was quite specific about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

cosanostra wrote: »
    Eugene Clonan clearly states on rte radio this morning that 116 flew direct from dublin past blacksod and turned back to refuel at blacksod but never made it. he stated this was a normal way to approach blacksod by going out to sea by 10 miles and returning

give it a listen here https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/841567480761864193
    That's exactly what I heard too. I can't understand why they would do that, but it has to be said he sounded upset and there was a bit of confusion around the question.

cosanostra wrote: »

That would explain it. Seems a bit mad to go 10 miles past it and back? And after that short trip it needs refueling? Obviously there's tons i don't know about SAR. Horrible disaster.

• Advertisement

That would explain it. Seems a bit mad to go 10 miles past it and back? And after that short trip it needs refueling? Obviously there's tons i don't know about SAR. Horrible disaster.

I wonder would it be to do with the prevailing wind.

There's an AC 139 from Cork heading NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

donvito99 wrote:
    There's an AC 139 from Cork heading NW.

All the remaining ICG S92s are heading away from the scene so maybe Air C are covering for a while? They must be burning through flight hours.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    All the remaining ICG S92s are heading away from the scene so maybe Air C are covering for a while? They must be burning through flight hours.

Also possible could be transfering NS personnel from Cork (Haulbowline)?

Devastating day for aviation, ES and the marine in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

donvito99 wrote: »
    Also possible could be transfering NS personnel from Cork (Haulbowline)?

Devastating day for aviation, ES and the marine in this country.

Possibly naval divers to be deployed to the Roisin.

achill lifeboat on the way out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The person lifted from the water this morning has passed away. Rest in peace Dara

First casualty of Coast Guard helicopter crash named as Captain Dara Fitzpatrick http://jrnl.ie/3286936

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

The Journal is reporting the first casualty Captain Dara Fitzpatrick died in hospital this morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement