Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Documentry Rescue 117

Options
  • 10-09-2010 10:53am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but new documentry starting on RTE 1 next Tuesday night Sept 14 at 20:30 on the Waterford based Search and rescue helicopter Rescue 117. Looks interesting on for 6 weeks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I can never keep up with the IAC/ICG/CHC relationship. Last I had heard, ICG had given the rescue mission to CHC under contract. This has apparently changed back again?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Klunk001

No,all four helo bases at the mo provide SAR for the IRCG under a contract with CHC until mid 2013. The next contract kicks off mid 2013 for 10 years, with new technology between IRCG/CHC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

can't wait for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Excellent first programme, really good to see the Irish SAR on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭abbyw1989

I missed it! Anyone know if it's repeated/available online?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Just watching it in the Sky box..... Capt Dara is Hawt!!!!!

Sorry for going o.t. Mods!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭donkey balls

abbyw1989 wrote: »
    I missed it! Anyone know if it's repeated/available online?

should be able to catch it on rte player

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭abbyw1989

should be able to catch it on rte player

Can't see it on there, but thanks anyway :)

abbyw1989 wrote: »
    Can't see it on there, but thanks anyway :)

they normally have it up within 24hrs of the program been broadcast, i managed to watch free fall this morning and that was shown monday night.

Klunk001 wrote: »
    No,all four helo bases at the mo provide SAR for the IRCG under a contract with CHC until mid 2013. The next contract kicks off mid 2013 for 10 years, with new technology between IRCG/CHC.

The uniforms and helos say 'Coast Guard' on them, so I presume the personnel and S-61s are not contracted. Is the contract just for the support and sustainment facilities?

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

The uniforms and helos say 'Coast Guard' on them, so I presume the personnel and S-61s are not contracted. Is the contract just for the support and sustainment facilities?

NTM
    No crew and helis are contracted. They belong to CHC but they wear the coast guard name on uniforms and on the vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Silent Death

:D My dad was the one who got this going for the ICG, we have the next few episodes here, they get much much better as they go on, oh and gatecrash, i now Dara ;)

Oh and your right they do contract out the work but they are responsible to the ICG for the duration of the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

I generally like these programmes and this was no exception although one thing I found v annoying is the amount of repitition in the voice over, after the ad break we basically get the first 2 minutes of the introduction all over again, not unique to this programme but I think somehow most of us can remember what happened 15 minutes earlier!! (well most of the time anyway ;))

Would have been interested to hear more about how Dara became a SAR pilot because I got the impression it wasn't through the military route.

Would have been interested to hear more about how Dara became a SAR pilot because I got the impression it wasn't through the military route.

it's on for another 5 weeks... maybe they might go into that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Interesting clip here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

NTM

Our Coast Guard isn't the same as yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

The Coastguard is a mostly volunteer force. Some might argue the Naval service might be better off constituted as the Coastguard. But that's for another day.

There are several SAR pilots who didn't come down the military route. But often they are recruited through the North sea and other oil rig flying overseas. Clearly though many are ex military not least because that's where the best training is to be found. It's not a job for newly trained young pilot as they fly very few hours a year, maybe 250-300. There's a lot of sitting around.

xflyer wrote: »
    The Coastguard is a mostly volunteer force. Some might argue the Naval service might be better off constituted as the Coastguard. But that's for another day.

Navy isn't big enough to do the job to the same standard. It also wont have the same response time as the Coast Guard. Having it as a separate, non military force makes sense unless you give the Coast Guard the patrolling duties the Navy does and combine them, if you do that you might as well disband the Air-core, it is a lame duck that takes in a huge budget each year. Without the Volunteers the Coast Guard work, In Ireland we have one of the best Coast Guards in the world, only countries with large budgets beat us but even then they can have awful ideas such as their rescue swimmers....

Any way thats my 2 cents ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Navy isn't big enough to do the job to the same standard. It also wont have the same response time as the Coast Guard. Having it as a separate, non military force makes sense unless you give the Coast Guard the patrolling duties the Navy does and combine them, if you do that you might as well disband the Air-core, it is a lame duck that takes in a huge budget each year. Without the Volunteers the Coast Guard work, In Ireland we have one of the best Coast Guards in the world, only countries with large budgets beat us but even then they can have awful ideas such as their rescue swimmers....

Any way thats my 2 cents ;)

My god an airsofter that makes sense :D welcom to the aviation forum man

andy_g wrote: »
    My god an airsofter that makes sense :D welcome to the aviation forum man
    My Dad is in the Coast Guard, i have experience with it, said i would see if his little project got any notice, he had a look at the posts, he has a big grin on his face. Love to train to be on the winch but i need to get to a Paramedic level...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

My Dad is in the Coast Guard, i have experience with it, said i would see if his little project got any notice, he had a look at the posts, he has a big grin on his face. Love to train to be on the winch but i need to get to a Paramedic level...

O/T for a min. join the local order of malta brigade and start off first aider/first resonder and so on.

Now back on topic i missed it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Just beginning to wonder, and not being morbid here, but roughly how many missions result in recovery of a body rather than bringing someone home to their family alive and kicking?

Last nights ep featured 3 rescues, all successful.
    Last week was the light plane down off Tuskar rock rescue, (successful) and a search for a body (unsuccessful)

As an aside i like the interaction between the crews, (the comments between Capts Fitzpatrick & McDonagh last night) and the good natured slagging that seems to go on.. I'm sure some of it is put on for the cameras but it gives an indication of a close knit team all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Last night RTE before they showed the film they gave a warning that some viewers may find the scenes distressing, I did not see anything distressing about what they showed, I was expecting to see worse.

Why give a warning when there is nothing distressing for viewers to see is it all hype??

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Last night RTE before they showed the film they gave a warning that some viewers may find the scenes distressing, I did not see anything distressing about what they showed, I was expecting to see worse.

Why give a warning when there is nothing distressing for viewers to see is it all hype??

What you were expecting a show sponsored by ogrish or something??
    The first episode they showed a search for a body. I had a relative kill themselves by jumping from a cliff who's body was found by the coastguard and RNLI. Now I wasnt upset so to speak by the footage last week but it certainly brought back memories of the night he died so I can see how some people could find those scenes distressing.

Beeker wrote: »
    No crew and helis are contracted. They belong to CHC but they wear the coast guard name on uniforms and on the vehicles.

I'd consider that a little... odd.

Do the contractors who work with the gardai wear 'Garda' name plates?

CHC have a contract to fly US military around Afghanistan, I used their flights quite often. No 'US Army' markings on them.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

CHC have a contract to fly US military around Afghanistan, I used their flights quite often. No 'US Army' markings on them.

NTM

Here's one of the rescue helicopters. They have Irish Coast Guard on the side and underneath. They aren't linked to the Gardaí.

lifestyle_rescue_117.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

But the difference here is that our coast guard are a volunteer force
    So I guess the arguement to be made here is your hired by CHC,but volunteer to join the IRCG

The whole idea is encourage integration of all units and minimize inter-service squabbles
    Also if branded CHC alot of civies might think it was a private service,and not call 999 and ask for the coastguard helicopter if they thought it wasn't 100% free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

oglaigh wrote: »
    What you were expecting a show sponsored by ogrish or something??
    The first episode they showed a search for a body. I had a relative kill themselves by jumping from a cliff who's body was found by the coastguard and RNLI. Now I wasnt upset so to speak by the footage last week but it certainly brought back memories of the night he died so I can see how some people could find those scenes distressing.

Of course I dont want to see anything all I was saying was what they said at the start of the programme, sorry about your relative.

They do a fantastic job in the Coastguard, I wonder how many times searchers passed by the wall where the helicopter found the missing man with the flir camera not knowing they were so close to him.

• Advertisement

NTM
    contractors in the Gardai?:eek:never heard of that before, sure the Gardai air support is crewed by the IAC(with a gaurd on board)and the acft is in the Gardai livery.
    as for CHC i reckon the contract they have is ACMI some airlines have this in place around the world,i know my old crowd used alot of ACMI and the acft was painted in the company colours to people that did not know much about airline operations they assume the acft was ours.

Advertisement