Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and ad/sp (no gossip)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Does she want people to say Cocoa Brown is sh1t?! Lol. I get what she's saying but to say there's absolutely no credibility/authenticity left is not entirely fair. There's a few out there, like Sinead from TBT.
    I feel like there's merit to her argument but she could have articulated her point better. It just sounds like she's saying everyone is shady, which is kind of true but not entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Sinead is literally the only blogger I'd trust. I'd happily ask for recommendations based on the fact she's not shy in calling a spade a spade.
    But I can't help but feel Marissa has a point. I would actively avoid products pushed by beauty bloggers now. Gym instructors, teatox, vitamins, collaborations, even weekend stays in a hotel/spa. For the longest time these bloggers have been talking to us like we were old friends, "just was in with the girls in GotMyLashesDoneForFree, they're amazing, so happy, here's a selfie, you guys have been asking me my beauty secrets and these lashes are it etc etc" so dishonest and it's only recently that people are disclosing and even at that, not everybody is.

So sue me for months flogging the bellamianta tan telling people she was going to wear it for her wedding only for her to launch her own tan just before her wedding. She did the same with crown brushes and then launching her own brush kit in collab with them. You have bloggers telling you about the best foundation/skincare products they've ever used, only for them to move on to another brand sent to them a few weeks later. Who recalls the huge event by the body shop for those facemasks, never to be mentioned again?

Leaving aside the vile "hater" attitudes by so many of those bloggers, not only would I not trust any reviews, spon or not, I would actively avoid the products.

I feel bad for the genuine bloggers such as sinead because she has kept her reviews real and hasn't seemed to sell her soul out. But is there a future in beauty blogs anymore? Is there any blogging actually being done or is it all cooking boring dinners, going to the gym, talking about their babies and how hard they work while trying to flog everything from the child's hair bows to the carpet they've down in the bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

The backlash was inevitable really and now seems to have spread from followers to businesses. When you are one of the ones who are walking sandwich boards for every piece of tat that comes through the door (Betty and Bidddy coin necklaces, personalised hairdryers, personalised bathrobe etc etc etc) then you only have yourself to blame. How can anyone trust a blogger's opinion when they seem to embrace every piece of free crap/events going. Their price is often only a free treatment or free item that every other two-bit blogger is also flashing all over social media that day/week. Effectively flogging tat for free. It only served to cheapen their value, to followers first and then obviously to companies too. If followers no longer trust them, then companies have no use for them and the whole thing dies a death, hopefully.

I saw a blog post pop up on my news feed where the blogger complains that they should be trusted, how cocoa brown relies on bloggers and then follows it up with "they didn't care I don't use fake tan, it was 50 pounds to post an Instagram pic". Which of course she took, admitting she would never use the product, then has hurt feelings why she might not be genuine?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I think this harks back to an issue we've all been discussing for the past while about press samples, press events and gifts etc.
    The credibility of the good few is being tainted by the upper echelons of influencers who seem to grab and go without actually providing their readers/viewers any real legitimate answers or transparency.
    While they technically aren't breaking any ASAI standards, they are losing credibility. But worst of all they cause it to be a blanket of trust issues that covers the really good ones who are actually unafraid to say something was free and if was is crap without the fear of losing out on being invited to the next opening of an envelope or acquiring the next 'must have item'.

Like it or not, some of the major bloggers have now become a walking advertisement and have sold out to the highest bidder and unfortunately, it's not them I feel sorry for. It's the hard working, honest bloggers and of course, the young followers who believe that this is a genuine lifestyle.

• Advertisement

I just think it's gas that these words are coming from the mouth of Marissa Carter, who sent her tanning products and body oil to literally every blogger going, invited them to luncheons, nearly died a death when Kylie positively promoted her product (a plug she admitted to trying very hard for, and paid her thousands for) and now since she's over the industry and upping and moving to the US she basically sells everyone who ever helped her get anywhere down the river. That's what's "inauthentic" to me here.
    Like, I'm all for calling out blogger BS and dishonesty, but to use them for your benefit and then ditch them when you've profited.. It's kinda poor form, no?

Id disagree Anna. It clearly worked for her when she launched her brand but would it work now given that so many influencers have sabotaged the industry?
    If I launched my business in the morning I wouldn't want the likes of those bloggers who are usually the topic of discussion in these threads to promote my business. They've done it themselves. She's the first business who's stepped up and said hey, I think this is done. More businesses will follow suit, or at least cut off the dead weight. Blogging as is will never last, it's been milked for all it's been worth. It will have to go in another direction and I think the big bloggers have seen this coming. Take note for example, a brand I've only heard recently, one blogger even had all her friends wear it on a night out, everyone's dropping in pieces from note, ones even running masterclasses --- there was a time I'd have been mad to try it out, now I wouldn't try it if I was given it for free

Id disagree Anna. It clearly worked for her when she launched her brand but would it work now given that so many influencers have sabotaged the industry?
    If I launched my business in the morning I wouldn't want the likes of those bloggers who are usually the topic of discussion in these threads to promote my business. They've done it themselves. She's the first business who's stepped up and said hey, I think this is done. More businesses will follow suit, or at least cut off the dead weight. Blogging as is will never last, it's been milked for all it's been worth. It will have to go in another direction and I think the big bloggers have seen this coming. Take note for example, a brand I've only heard recently, one blogger even had all her friends wear it on a night out, everyone's dropping in pieces from note, ones even running masterclasses --- there was a time I'd have been mad to try it out, now I wouldn't try it if I was given it for free

Ya true. And it's not that I don't agree with what she's saying- like I do 110% agree with her principle in theory. I think it's just the fact that it's coming from her, it's the source- like there's no other "girl boss" person out there who shoved their products down blogger throats more than she did. I do admire her for saying that there isn't much credibility left in the industry- but I also see the hypocrisy in her saying that because she has used the industry to her benefit so much and never once complained. In fact, I remember her bringing Pippa and Rosie C out for lunch one day and bought them gifts of Jo Malone perfume for always being so good to her brand. Like wtf?

So, maybe Marissa needs to take some responsibility for the way the industry turned? Literally gifting people for saying they liked her tan. It's like psychological manipulation to a degree, and setting bloggers to the mindset of "well if I say this is great I'll obviously be rewarded". Now I'm not throwing all the blame on Marissa's shoulders, bloggers are to blame too- but nobody rinsed the Irish blogging industry for all it's worth as much as she did/does.

It's no different than bringing in a blogger and giving them free treatments as often as they want into your salon. Classic extensions? Russian volume? Facial? Maybe a pedicure? Oh it's your birthday, let's get you some white flowers and white balloons and some macarons. You're going on holiday? Let me give you these products to use when you get off the plane.

Marissa was in no way solo on that, you'd be surprised at what's given behind the scenes too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

I'd tend to agree, but just a quick look on the Cocoa Brown twitter shows multiple retweets from bloggers, so it's as if she's trying to shun the exact practices her company still use... I think she is going to regret how this has come across, as it's basically what her company is built on. I'm just confused as to why she'd come out and say its 'over', while actively using bloggers to her advantage still.... But IMO I really hope bloggers will go back to actual BLOGGING, and the snapchat ads are just a distant memory...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

There was a lot of people I'd trust very angry about that article in the blogging world. There will definitely be a reduction in blogging support.

The thing is, cocoa brown isn't expensive so if she cuts them off with free samples it doesn't cost that much to still try new products for the beauty addicts.

Also another dose of irony is the press trip in Monte Carlo currently happening.while the attendees are being paid by companies it's still a PR trip and maybe a #ad

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BettyFrench

anna080 wrote: »
    I just think it's gas that these words are coming from the mouth of Marissa Carter, who sent her tanning products and body oil to literally every blogger going, invited them to luncheons, nearly died a death when Kylie positively promoted her product (a plug she admitted to trying very hard for) and now since she's over the industry and upping and moving to the US she basically sells everyone who ever helped her get anywhere down the river. That's what's "inauthentic" to me here.
    Like, I'm all for calling out blogger BS and dishonesty, but to use them for your benefit and then ditch them when you've profited.. It's kinda poor form, no?

Kylie Jenner was paid tens of thousands for that plug.

Kylie Jenner was paid tens of thousands for that plug.

Exactly! Nobody rinsed the influencer/blogger industry as much as Marissa. IMO, she needs to take some responsibility for the way it turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

In fairness to the bloggers though, if someone offers you money to promote their goods you're hardly going to say no, especially if it is your career. As far as I'm concerned bloggers need companies and companies do well from bloggers. It seems to be a relationship that works well for both parties.

The innocents in all this are the followers and consumers who believe it is a trusted source recommending a product. But in reality if you are a grown woman and go and spend all your money on products just because someone who can put on nice makeup and dress well says so then IMO you've only yourself to blame. The sad part is that a lot of these consumers are very young, very impressionable teenage girls who believe the hype and spend their money on these branded products. In that respect bloggers need to take some responsibility - although putting a #ad will probably no deter their 'fans'.

As for Marissa Carter - I think she is the biggest hypocrite. She has gotten what shes needed from the bloggers and is now sitting on her high (probably made of gold) horse condemning brands and bloggers because they dare do the same thing as her. I think she has serious sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm in two minds about Marissa's comments.

On the one hand, I do agree with her. From the countless threads here on Boards, people are not happy with how some bloggers conduct themselves. Non disclosures, freebies left right and centre, promoting everything and anything, there are a few out there who call themselves bloggers who are souring it for the genuine ones. There's no denying there has been a change in the blogging movement since last year.

But her comment "The value of a blogger endorsement is nothing" is very back handed! She only sent a load of her brushes and Ice Goddess oils out to bloggers a couple of weeks ago. And didn't she have a lunch the other day to launch her new mitt and darker tan (although I must admit it seems to have been very low key, very little in her own snaps or anyone else's about it). But she regularly plugs products, services and brands on her own snapchat - personalised hairdryer, faro brushes, etc etc. Only the other week she used The Make Up Fairy's wands to do her make up on camera, never seen her use them before (or again since).

To be honest, she doesn't really need blogger endorsements anymore for her products, they are priced at a cheap enough price point for people to impulse buy and they have been proven to be decent enough products (IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I agree with Marissa's comments about some bloggers. I unfollowed a lot of them that weren't transparent about when they were being paid and I don't miss their content at all.
    However, there are a lot of small scale bloggers that do give negative reviews and are very honest in their reviews so I feel her comments were unfair.

There definitely are con artists in the industry, and they're usually the ones making the most money out of it. But there are a lot of authentic bloggers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

"When I started Cocoa Brown bloggers still had credibility...they were telling the truth about the products that they tried. Now, the value of a blogger endorsement is nothing - there are no bad reviews anymore.

There was an authenticity in the market when we started, you sucked up the bad reviews and delighted in the good reviews but at least it was real."

Lol! Marissa brought Suzanne Jackson and Joanne Larby over to London last year for the Joyce Bonelli masterclass. Two bloggers who said that they don't do negative reviews. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Personally I think there's a reason why only small scale bloggers give negative reviews. They don't rely on the income from blogging its just an extra therefore you can say what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I read a blog post by beautybythebunny (not someone I follow but I seen it shared with all the drama!) And she said

" I was paid £50 for an Instagram ad – I explained that I don’t use fake tan – they didn’t care, they just wanted a photo on Instagram"

I've never came across this blogger before so I can't say what she is like now but the whole thing puts me off bloggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

anna080 wrote: »
    Ya true. And it's not that I don't agree with what she's saying- like I do 110% agree with her principle in theory. I think it's just the fact that it's coming from her, it's the source- like there's no other "girl boss" person out there who shoved their products down blogger throats more than she did. I do admire her for saying that there isn't much credibility left in the industry- but I also see the hypocrisy in her saying that because she has used the industry to her benefit so much and never once complained. In fact, I remember her bringing Pippa and Rosie C out for lunch one day and bought them gifts of Jo Malone perfume for always being so good to her brand. Like wtf?

So, maybe Marissa needs to take some responsibility for the way the industry turned? Literally gifting people for saying they liked her tan. It's like psychological manipulation to a degree, and setting bloggers to the mindset of "well if I say this is great I'll obviously be rewarded". Now I'm not throwing all the blame on Marissa's shoulders, bloggers are to blame too- but nobody rinsed the Irish blogging industry for all it's worth as much as she did/does.

I agree Marissa has a huge part to play in how everyone is seeing bloggers now she was the worst culprit for pushing her brands through bloggers sending gifts with their names on it buying them gifts .
    the top bloggers have ruined it for the smaller more genuine ones .. watching faces by grace, make up fairy, so sue me and pippa push everything and anything with zero transparency has just soiled blogging for most people ..
    There's not many people left who would trust a word the bloggers have to say anymore... I was a big follower of bloggers for years and since Snapchat came along and I saw them
    Lie about getting free tv's ect It just put me right off.

• Advertisement

I read a blog post by beautybythebunny (not someone I follow but I seen it shared with all the drama!) And she said

" I was paid £50 for an Instagram ad – I explained that I don’t use fake tan – they didn’t care, they just wanted a photo on Instagram"

I've never came across this blogger before so I can't say what she is like now but the whole thing puts me off bloggers.

The irony in her post. She intended to call out Cocoa brown but she just exposes her dishonesty. She took the money didn't she! To promote something she'd never use. Her decision to be dishonest is not Cocoa Brown's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

The reaction to the article on twitter has been astounding, so much outrage! I can see why some might be miffed (as she totally used bloggers to push her products - very successfully too) but really at the end of the day, it's her opinion and already the wagons are circling (no pun intended)! It reminds me exactly of the outrage when Rosemary McC wrote an article about not going to the Gossies. The online outrage and the mocking at the event, shows just how cliquey the whole beauty/lifestyle blogging can be at the top. No one is allowed to have a different opinion at all.

Sure, some bloggers are good at posting about products that didn't float their boat, but it always in a nice way and rarely about top products. I watched Laura's Views on MUF Wands (the 2nd video) and she keep reiterating about how she didn't want to cause trouble (not quite those words) and that her negative points were what she felt let the product down to her, not in general.

So at the end of the day the consensus seems to be, you can critique the products but not the practice of blogging. Personally I'll never step foot in Meaghers or try anything that seems to be promoted from several bloggers at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I'mu sually in agreement with loads of you here but can't understand the Marissa bashing, apart from the unfair generalisation that ALL bloggers are positive reviews only. But since I only follow a few of the main ones, I don't know about these real reviews, and I suspect she was only talking about the top Irish ones also. I've only ever seen the main Dublin ones at her press releases etc.
    Anyway for those of you saying she milked the bloggers, i disagree.
    AFAIK, she never did any of those brand ambassador cop outs with Cocoa Brown, therefore any exposure she got on social media was because she sent them freebies at her own expense.
    None of them were obliged to show them, nor are the obligated to show up and eat a three course lunch and get a goodie bag. They do it because they want freebies and maybe a photo in the society pages in magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

Very interesting that BeautyByTheBunny is giving out about CB for paying for her review even though in her own words that she doesn't wear tan and they sent and paid her anyway.

Well slightly ironic and hypocritical of her don't you think? She is a UK based blogger so she has to disclose as #ad.
    On her blog she has a 'PR Disclaimer' section where she states:

'All reviews by me are 100% honest and my own opinion.'

So I wanted to find her instagram post to see if she actually stated that she doesn't wear tan and what her opinion would be. That would be in line with her complaint she made in yesterday's post, but she was actually gushing about the product in the comments when people were asking her about it.

So therein lies the problem for me. She was happy to take payment for a product she doesn't use, states she gives 100% reviews, but gushes about the product even though it isn't honest because she states she doesn't wear tan, but when then comes back at the company stating basically that they were shady because they gave her money for a review for a product she wouldn't normally use anyway.
    This literally just makes MC's comment slightly more valid because this blogger wasn't really being as transparent as she liked to appear to be.

MC hasn't said anything we weren't all thinking and debating here anyway. She's just got more sway as she isn't as easily labelled a jealous hater. It wasn't fair to tar all bloggers, certainly, but as followers well all have our bloggers that we trust and will continue to trust. If this had been currys or speaking out after tvgate, everyone would be agreeing with them.

I don't like Marissa at all but she's not wrong.

Anyone can be a blogger there are zero qualifications or requirements for it. Giving an opinion on products and writing about it is basically what it is. The standard isn't exactly high. The beautiful truth and the makeup fairy supposedly qualified as teachers yet they have the grammar and punctuation of junior cert students.

The trick with blogging is get successful and make some money, essentially becoming a walking talking advertisement.
    Knowing the right people and kissing up to the right brands. Marissa did that as most business owners do and as most successful bloggers have done. I'm not saying that's all there is to it but its a large part of it. Especially in Ireland.

I laugh when I see people claiming they scroll past if they see #ad or #sp as they think its not authentic. Eh hello everything a blogger posts on insta/Facebook/actual blog content etc is there for a reason. They might not be paid for each and very individual post but everything is an ad. Everything they post is an advertisement of themselves to potential brands, investors, sponsors.

Marissa was incredibly stupid to say what she said and the tweets were pathetic. However that doesn't make it wrong. There are thousands and thousands of blogs, particularly of the beauty/fashion/lifestyle/here's my baby variety.
    Much of which is rubbish. Yeah there are some decent quality blogs out there but very few of which are full time bloggers. So I'd agree with Marissa there is very little credibility in beauty blogging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

IMO when she says there is no credibility anymore, I do think she is referring mostly to the big bloggers, Faces, Sue, Pippa, MUF... these are well known to flog any piece of crap for a few quid (as well as failing to disclose). I'd love to hear their thoughts on what she's said though, considering she's taken some of them on trips before for PR... I totally agree with what she is saying, but she shouldn't act as if she hasnt helped create this lack of credibility, she is one of the very worst for over saturating social media by sending her products to everyone and their granny. Bit of a misguided comment if she thinks she is above this now, because Cocoa Brown are still doing the very thing she is describing.

Ray37 wrote: »
    IMO when she says there is no credibility anymore, I do think she is referring mostly to the big bloggers, Faces, Sue, Pippa, MUF... these are well known to flog any piece of crap for a few quid (as well as failing to disclose). I'd love to hear their thoughts on what she's said though, considering she's taken some of them on trips before for PR... I totally agree with what she is saying, but she shouldn't act as if she hasnt helped create this lack of credibility, she is one of the very worst for over saturating social media by sending her products to everyone and their granny. Bit of a misguided comment if she thinks she is above this now, because Cocoa Brown are still doing the very thing she is describing.

I'd disagree I think she's correct saying that blogging as a whole has no credibility. Lots of small time bloggers flog crap too.
    That beauty and the bunny or whatever her name is admitted to posting the cocoa brown picture for money. She didn't lie she posted the pic to her Instagram, never said she used the tan. I'd imagine that's far more common with smaller bloggers than most would think.

I follow many many bloggers, for many different reasons, but not one of those reasons is because I'd trust their opinion on a product. Big or small bloggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

I do think cocoa brown has slowly being moving away from bloggers over the last few months. Maybe the company has been keeping a low profile about it until now. A few weeks ago when they sent out the ice goddess stuff, it was mainly to magazines and business owners. I didn't actually see any big name bloggers get anything about it? 
    Maybe thats the direction she wants to move in now. I do think its funny that a few months ago Coco Brown was all over snapchat and instagram, but rarely anymore. Benefit seems to have taken over in its place. I wonder has that got to do with that girl Kate getting the promotion in Coco Brown and then leaving and going to Benefit. I do feel that Benefit is being shoved down our throats now, and maybe Marrissa wants to stay clear. As its highly annoying. I wouldnt be buying any Benefit products  at the moment as a result, but weirdly I was only in Pennys last week and  I picked up coco brown mitts and didn't think twice. Where as a few months ago I would have stayed clear. 

Was the make up fairy not a brand ambassador at one point? 
    Could it be that this has all come to a head as Coco Brown doesn't want to be associated with #ad? And they feel it cheapens the brand? Maybe they got away with it for so long, but now #ad is in the media so much they can't anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

I remember when cocoa brown launched and every single blogger that i followed was RAVING about it. Like this stuff was the best of the best and the price point was amazing. I'm not going to lie...It did convince me to buy it. In fairness it's a great tan and I've repurchased multiple times.
    A few months later and they're all RAVING about bellamianta tan...This is THE best of THE best....Now there's some other tan that just Jordan is pedalling and so sue with her own tan....When will it end?
    It's just ridiculous.

How did we all survive and figure out what to be buying before these bloggers were around?!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement