Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and ad/sp (no gossip)

Options
  • 09-03-2017 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

We start afresh

Stay on topic of bloggers promoting products without declaring it.

The above is the only topic here - everything else will be dealt with; gossip, comments on appearance, hearsay, your personal thoughts on a certain blogger, speculations
    etc etc. Keep that for your own FB, insta, twitter, snap, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

So fairy has deleted the ads where she sold the free dresses on depop. Surely it should have been disclosed on the app that she had requested these items for free and that she hadn't paid for them, should these ads have been marked ad/spon???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Fairy is now.promoting her boyf's fitness business. I'm not saying money is exchanging hands but he's giving her his business services as a trainer now and she's giving him.and his business super glowing reviews. #ad needed maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    So fairy has deleted the ads where she sold the free dresses on depop. Surely it should have been disclosed on the app that she had requested these items for free and that she hadn't paid for them, should these ads have been marked ad/spon???

I only saw two dresses from the Dubai trip up on depop.
    The bright green dress that's still up for sale, and this blue dress that was sold and the ad has since been deleted.
    I know she siad she would be selling all dresse on depop, so I had been keeping an eye out for the Cari's Closet ones.
    Did you see any of the Cari's Closet dresses up on depop?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

i don't follow grace on snap anymore but do have a look at her page now and again. I didn't realise she is being paid to do the 5k run? Her posts (haven't looked at everyone!) are #ad for it! I don't have kids but she is also weaning her child and has #ad on the post about that! (A lot of debating going on there but won't get into that part here! I couldn't anyhow cos don't know anything about it but just interesting to read!). Someone must have said something tho because the post is edited to include the # and the corresponding video dosent have anything on it.

Please don't start talking about gossip side of this! I'm just mentioned it because it's a ad and at first wasn't properally shown to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

Grace talked a bit about the great irish run, did photo shoots and tv interviews about it. She never #ad or #spon until now or mentioned she was being paid despite encouraging her followers to sign up.

Throughout her pregnancy she worked with c&g baby club and i dont recall ever seeing #ad or #spon on any of that though she did say she was working with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

If anyone has any issues with bloggers/influencers not #ad where you believe they are being paid for a positive review please complain on the below link. It's very easy to do, you can attach screenshots of social media posts etc to back up you claim. The more they are reports and investigated, the less likely there are to do it!
    Www.asai.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

If anyone has any issues with bloggers/influencers not #ad where you believe they are being paid for a positive review please complain on the below link. It's very easy to do, you can attach screenshots of social media posts etc to back up you claim. The more they are reports and investigated, the less likely there are to do it!
    Www.asai.ie

There have been a number of reports about the same blogger and the same company and it just continues to happen .

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

Www.asai.ie

Slightly off topic but can someone tell me how you can save Snapchat stories from others? I've reported one or two to the ASAI but I'd love to have the Snapchat story to go with it to add more weight, thanks

Wexy, you would have to download another app that does that! Don't know any of them don't have it myself. But I'm sure a quick look on App Store or whatever will show them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Potatocup

Does anyone follow EimearVarianBarry? She literally never #ad anything! She seemed to be working with Caseys furniture recently and nothing about being paid for it, very frustrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 coffeebean22

Can I ask whats the rules with #ad and #spon etc. I'm aware if they're being paid to advertise a product or service they should have #ad/#spon but whats the rules for if they "just got a delivery" i.e were sent stuff for free.. what should that be hashtagged as? because so many times I see them not saying anything when they were sent items... surely they have to declare it as something or is that where sponsored comes in? Thanks

They don't have to declare if they got something for free! Some put PR sample but some done! But if they got it for free on the basis they give a positive review or has to be #ad. But sure who is to know that happens!! Anymore I just watch to see new releases and if I like something google it instead! Just incase!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Can I ask whats the rules with #ad and #spon etc. I'm aware if they're being paid to advertise a product or service they should have #ad/#spon but whats the rules for if they "just got a delivery" i.e were sent stuff for free.. what should that be hashtagged as? because so many times I see them not saying anything when they were sent items... surely they have to declare it as something or is that where sponsored comes in? Thanks

There is currently no obligation under ASAI guidelines for them to declare or hashtag anything if it's sent to them for free, like blogger mail and such. (Some would argue that there should be some kind of disclosure since after all it is a form of advertising, that falls under moral obligation rather than lawful) However, if it's sent to them for free in return for a good review, then this needs to be declared.
    Anything sponsored or considered an ad should be #ad #spon

Actually under some other consumer law or something can't remember fully it was in the podcast I posted in other thread! They should say it's sent for free under that! Could never find the bit they were on about tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭shoegal1

Hey lads/ladies. Long time lurker, 1st time poster here. I'm green with envy over all the fab clothes/jewelry that are been sent to at least 3 of the bloggers/personal stylists that I follow. I'm torn between thinking this is just part of their job giving a shout-out to the stores and getting free stuff in return for the traffic or thinking it should be #ad. What do ye reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

shoegal1 wrote: »
    Hey lads/ladies. Long time lurker, 1st time poster here. I'm green with envy over all the fab clothes/jewelry that are been sent to at least 3 of the bloggers/personal stylists that I follow. I'm torn between thinking this is just part of their job giving a shout-out to the stores and getting free stuff in return for the traffic or thinking it should be #ad. What do ye reckon?

With all due respect, this particular topic has been discussed to exhaustion and the bottom line is; it doesn't really matter what we think, bloggers are not obliged to disclose whether they received an item for free or not. The law only requires them to disclose if they have been given monetary conpensation in return for social media post(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

fartyarse wrote: »
    With all due respect, this particular topic has been discussed to exhaustion and the bottom line is; it doesn't really matter what we think, bloggers are not obliged to disclose whether they received an item for free or not. The law only requires them to disclose if they have been given monetary conpensation in return for social media post(s).

If people want to discuss it they are free to do so . Some people are sick of it and in all fairness due to discussions on these threads some bloggers are actually being transparent regardless of payments or freebies ..

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

fartyarse wrote: »

Nope. They are obliged to state they got the item for free, if they have been asked/told to give a good review......

If they give a bad review they will say goodbye to a lot more free items. From what i've seen over the past year or so pure muck has been shown on snapchat etc. Never to be properly reviewed or used again. In my option they are always going to say they like it. It you think about it its one big company that owns the majority of make up companies. They are all splinter or umbrella companies. Say a bad thing about one section, you get closed off from them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Lindy97 wrote: »
    Grace talked a bit about the great irish run, did photo shoots and tv interviews about it. She never #ad or #spon until now or mentioned she was being paid despite encouraging her followers to sign up.
    I don't follow her social media anymore but I do have an interest in running so I went to her blog to read about her training for the Great Ireland Run. But she doesn't actually mention what training she has done so far for it, I would have imagined she would have needed to have started training well before now. Unfortunately her blog post is largely a copy-and-paste job from the Great Ireland Run website.

A good few bloggers not #ad-ing at the beauty show. I know most of them are there with their own products so don't need to. Just jordan tagged one snap yesterday but no others.

Tara Makeup should defo be, she's working for a few stands - Bellaminainta, Iwhite and Blank Canvas.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I don't follow her social media anymore but I do have an interest in running so I went to her blog to read about her training for the Great Ireland Run. But she doesn't actually mention what training she has done so far for it, I would have imagined she would have needed to have started training well before now. Unfortunately her blog post is largely a copy-and-paste job from the Great Ireland Run website.

She said on snapchat today that shes doing a 5 week running programme and that shes already 2 weeks in. Very similar to couch to 5k. She was going to go for a run today, but ran out of time..... She doesnt #ad the snaps, even though shes being paid as its sponsored.

Makeup fairy not #ad either at show! Is there any point going to the effort of making a complaint? Because nothing seems to happen!?

idunno78 wrote: »
    Makeup fairy not #ad either at show! Is there any point going to the effort of making a complaint? Because nothing seems to happen!?

Who is makeup fairy being paid by to be at the show?

She was there for her own brand but went walking about. She showed the eyebrow stuff she was about last week with #ad but none in the one today. She didn't talk about it just a pic.

Unless she is getting cash for something she doesn't have to #ad, I see no reason for her to #ad at the beauty show! Might not seem right to the general public, but they are the rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    So is she still selling them? Or maybe they are already sold? I don't have Depop so I don't know myself.

Unless she is getting cash for something she doesn't have to #ad, I see no reason for her to #ad at the beauty show! Might not seem right to the general public, but they are the rules

Well She had them all #ad all last week when talking about that brand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

idunno78 wrote: »
    Well She had them all #ad all last week when talking about that brand!

Maybe last week it was #ad because it was one and this week it was one of the many brands she snapped about at the show and wasn't an ad. Just a theory.

Maybe last week it was #ad because it was one and this week it was one of the many brands she snapped about at the show and wasn't an ad. Just a theory.

Many brands?? She snapped her own stand, the stand she was paid by last week, and then Jennifer Rocks stand. No other brands were featured. She goes to Jennifer Rock about her skin and shows off products recommended by Jennifer for her skin not so long ago.

So i think the snap for the makeup should have been ad.

• Advertisement

She has since posted she is brand ambassador for the brand! Was put on Instagram a few hours ago! Therefore is an ad and should have been hash tagged accordingly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement