Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and ad/sp (no gossip)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I thought the "winners" in the Image thing should have had one big #ad written all over it. The judges were sent boxes of stuff and the ones they chose were bits they'd already received from friends they're trying to promote.
    I'm sure this kind of thing has happened for years. I remember Xpose used to be great and they'd feature pieces from everywhere. Then when the iclothing website was released every look shown was from iclothing.
    But it's only with all the snapchatting that the politics of it all has become so apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

ameliams wrote: »
    She isn't required to use the hashtag and she's making less money by using it. If I were her I wouldn't continue using it either.
    The blog she wrote a few months ago detailed exactly how much money she had made from it.

So sue me once said in a magazine interview that the money she made from reward style was just pocket money not a huge amount. With ten times the amount of followers on Facebook than Rosemary, try calculate that figure.

Also why would the fitbit event need to be declared an ad? Unless they paid people to snap about it its not an ad. Free fitbit doesn't equal payment. The press drops of makeup sent out and goodie bags at some amounts are likely to be worth the same amount.

Didn't Rosemary say she made like two grand in three months from reward style? So "times that by ten" that's twenty grand for Sue for just providing a few links for a few months.Nice "pocket change" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Is so sue mes holiday one big ad for the Maldives?

Serious question I swear :o maybe Maldives tourist board paid her to come over.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

heyjude88 wrote: »

Serious question I swear :o maybe Maldives tourist board paid her to come over.....
    I think the hotel probably did, I am sure there will be a blog post about it after the trip....

heyjude88 wrote: »

She actually made a facebook live video about it and said it wasn't an ad. I tuned in after it was live so i could skip bits and thank god I did, that highlighter palette mustn't be selling cos shes forever pushing it.
    Anyway she wouldn't give even a ballpark price for the holiday so it was a useless video unless you enjoy watching the boyfriend as a floater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Wexy86

I don't think her stay was free but I'd say it's heavily discounted given the amount of times she's mentioned the name of the resort. I went to the Maldives on my honeymoon and priced the Residence for the type of villa she's in now and it was €1500 full board a night at the end of the high season. Also I know a couple who've been to the resort a few times and they never received a framed picture :D

I assume one of the new so sue products is the tan she's wearing given how amazing it is :p

I assume JK should be #ad for his emirates competition and his actual flight to Japan? No way would he have snapped the flight and plane so much if it wasn't an ad/sponsered/discounted

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

I highly doubt the Maldives was discounted or free. The lack of mentioning the price was probably due to the fact it cost thousands and thousands. Most people can't spent 10 grand on a holiday so don't want to hear about other people doing it.

The two of them have built a company that has a lot of money coming in its not like they can't afford it.

ameliams wrote: »
    I highly doubt the Maldives was discounted or free. The lack of mentioning the price was probably due to the fact it cost thousands and thousands. Most people can't spent 10 grand on a holiday so don't want to hear about other people doing it.

The two of them have built a company that has a lot of money coming in its not like they can't afford it.

I highly doubt she spent thousands and thousands on a trip when she gets offered them for free left right and centre!
    If you look at the place where she staying instagram page (The Residence Maldives) they are reposting her instagram pics. Doubt they'd do that for Joe Bloggs. I'd say it's a for sure a free trip but maybe not a sponsored trip. But I could be (and probably am) wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

anna080 wrote: »
    I highly doubt she spent thousands and thousands on a trip when she gets offered them for free left right and centre!
    If you look at the place where she staying instagram page (The Residence Maldives) they are reposting her instagram pics. Doubt they'd do that for Joe Bloggs. I'd say it's a for sure a free trip but maybe not a sponsored trip. But I could be (and probably am) wrong.

She spends thousands on designer gear so why not holidays?

And its their third trip there so I'm sure the place knows them by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread is moving towards speculation/gossip and away from #ad.

The problem is it's hard not to speculate when you can't be sure if people are honest or not.
    For example I've heard several people now talk about how great some Kevin Murphy shampoo is, and they've all been in the space of a few weeks.
    Did everyone just discover a shampoo that's been around for a while and suddenly need to tell snapchat of its greatness? There's been no #ad from anyone who's mentioned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

Is it just my snapchat that a few bloggers/snapchatters are now appearing as their actual name instead of their blogger name eg Karen C instead of lovely girly bits and Gemma instead of beautynook.. May just be a thing on my snapchat but The cynic in me is wondering is it a way of detaching a snapchat from the rest of their work (whereby anything on it is a personal opinion as opposed to a promo or ad..)wondering is anyone else's snapchat like this

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

No mine comes up as Karen Lovely Girly Bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

biko wrote: »
    Thread is moving towards speculation/gossip and away from #ad.

Unfortunately speculation comes with the fact that not all bloggers are transparent therefore this thread is going to touch on speculation from time to time .. while questioning why there is no #ad then we are speculating..
    There is no gossip involved I know 'gossip' is a well used word for when women talk unfortunately ..
    From reading this thread I don't see any gossip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

idunno78 wrote: »
    No mine comes up as Karen Lovely Girly Bits!

My inner cynic can calm down so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Lisa's lust list is driving me mad. For some reason she flies well below the radar and in my opinion is probably one of the worst for not disclosing anything, she's going to end up with carpel tunnel shortly at the rate she's mentioning the gym, she's working it in to every single post she makes, not a mention if it's sponsored free or paid for.

Lisa's lust list is driving me mad. For some reason she flies well below the radar and in my opinion is probably one of the worst for not disclosing anything, she's going to end up with carpel tunnel shortly at the rate she's mentioning the gym, she's working it in to every single post she makes, not a mention if it's sponsored free or paid for.

She's very sneaky. And hides it under "ah lads sure look lads they had no choice but to send me this to give away to ye, what are ye doing to me lads". Drives me up the wall

anna080 wrote: »
    She's very sneaky. And hides it under "ah lads sure look lads they had no choice but to send me this to give away to ye, what are ye doing to me lads". Drives me up the wall
    I know, the way she lays out her post is like she's your best friend letting you in on a secret but it just makes her even less genuine. I wouldn't trust one review from her, as she's not a bit transparent

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

Its the "ah sure I'm just a normal, regular girl sharing my journey and life with you all so the rules don't apply to me" defense.

• Advertisement

Had to give JJ the auld unfollow, used to LOVE her, thought she was so funny etc, but she's so shady with the #sp/#ad, I just couldn't watch her anymore. Her snapchat just became one huge ad (and mostly undisclosed). Can't stand the 'this outfit is on my blog', like honestly we KNOW you get commission from each click on the link to it, but she can never just tell her followers. It really annoys me because there will be people that have followed her for ages, and she can't even share where she bought her top from with earning a few quid. Don't get me wrong, I understand that blogs do make money etc, but directing you there for every little query just irritates me. It gives a feeling of 'oh I'm only interested in the followers to make money'. Such a shame, coz I used to love her.

Does anyone follow waxperts Ellen? I've followed her for a long time where she's said she would never do ads but now I'm questioning that, few examples below

That dinosaur bag both herself and Pippa haf for the boys, neither mentioned it was a gift and then Rosie was honest when she got it recently from Bella Baby
    Showing the boujois foundation on her snaps, we know Pippa works with them and now I see Roz #ad. Even if it's not an ad she could at least say it was sent
    She tagged lifestyle in a post on instagram and showed a good few snaps when her boy was getting runners, Rosie was the same but #ad when speaking about them and in store. Like money is not an issue so I doubt she done it just for a paid of free runners for yeh child

I really dont mind influencers(i know she has her own business but she is in the same category as the bloggers given her following) getting paid just be honest!

Also very jealous of her shoe collection :P

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Wexy86 wrote: »
    Does anyone follow waxperts Ellen? I've followed her for a long time where she's said she would never do ads but now I'm questioning that, few examples below

That dinosaur bag both herself and Pippa haf for the boys, neither mentioned it was a gift and then Rosie was honest when she got it recently from Bella Baby
    Showing the boujois foundation on her snaps, we know Pippa works with them and now I see Roz #ad. Even if it's not an ad she could at least say it was sent
    She tagged lifestyle in a post on instagram and showed a good few snaps when her boy was getting runners, Rosie was the same but #ad when speaking about them and in store. Like money is not an issue so I doubt she done it just for a paid of free runners for yeh child

I really dont mind influencers(i know she has her own business but she is in the same category as the bloggers given her following) getting paid just be honest!

Also very jealous of her shoe collection :P

Oh I literally had this conversation with my co-workers today. I've said it on here before, single white female. She jumps on to all these things that other bloggers do. It looks like shes paying for it herself, but its just too coincidental. Remember the stuff from moss cottage, the dinosaur lamps a few weeks ago? Straight after Pippa got them from the same shop.

The lifestyle kids shoes just hit it home for me though. Maybe shes just really clever and is hiding all the ads, or else shes trying to gain publicity and trying to get us thinking its an ad but shes paying herself. I think shes really good friends with the publicity loft team who work closely with alot of the bigger bloggers.

Like, she got the one for all voucher and the flowers for mothers day like the rest of them, so I'm presuming she's doing alot of stuff for money without the #ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Ellen and pippa have same coffee machine to! Noticed during the wend! Maybe she just buys everything pippa has!? Because I noticed to she does the hiya thing James Patrice does (maybe he doesn't anymore I haven't watched him in months) and she has copied doireann a few times to! So maybe it's a bit of that? She is possibly just sent stuff because she has a big following?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

I'm pretty sure she doesn't take any paid work.  She has said that several times on snap chat

Marissa Carter made a comment:

''Innovation is key to getting ahead. Never do the same thing twice because you won't get the same results.
    Brands copy us now all the time. They try to do what we did with Cocoa Brown when we initially started...working with bloggers to try and grow their brand. But that game is dead now, there's absolutely no authenticity left in that business.
    When I started Cocoa Brown bloggers still had credibility...they were telling the truth about the products that they tried.  Now, the value of a blogger endorsement is nothing – there are no bad reviews anymore.
    There was an authenticity in the market when we started, you sucked up the bad reviews and delighted in the good reviews but at least it was real."

Verrrry interesting in light of the #ad/#sp discussion here.

Link: https://www.her.ie/business/cocoa-browns-marissa-carter-death-beauty-blogging-341059

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Newdawn11

😂
    Totally agree, had to unfollow her with all the 'lads will
    ye stop I'll be broke" and she is very clearly being gifted/sponsored

Literally every single post seems to be gifted or sponsored. Unfortunately we don't know for sure because it's not stated although I did notice she mentioned she paid for eyelash extensions herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Literally every single post seems to be gifted or sponsored. Unfortunately we don't know for sure because it's not stated although I did notice she mentioned she paid for eyelash extensions herself.

Newdawn11 wrote:
    😂 Totally agree, had to unfollow her with all the 'lads will ye stop I'll be broke" and she is very clearly being gifted/sponsored

Me too ladies. I've actually deleted my Facebook app to give the whole blogger thing a break. Lisa is one walking advertisement and discloses nothing. She is very clever about it tho and it's only recently I've realised! Anyway the whole Ladies Day nonsense isn't of any interest to me so probably for the best to avoid her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Ray37 wrote: »
    Marissa Carter made a comment:

''Innovation is key to getting ahead. Never do the same thing twice because you won't get the same results.
    Brands copy us now all the time. They try to do what we did with Cocoa Brown when we initially started...working with bloggers to try and grow their brand. But that game is dead now, there's absolutely no authenticity left in that business.
    When I started Cocoa Brown bloggers still had credibility...they were telling the truth about the products that they tried.  Now, the value of a blogger endorsement is nothing – there are no bad reviews anymore.
    There was an authenticity in the market when we started, you sucked up the bad reviews and delighted in the good reviews but at least it was real."

Verrrry interesting in light of the #ad/#sp discussion here.

Link: https://www.her.ie/business/cocoa-browns-marissa-carter-death-beauty-blogging-341059

Didn't Marissa recently do a collab with Vera Moda? Or was she not paid for that? Interesting words from her if she has done ads herself.

Edit to say: it's def an ad with Vera Moda, just checked her Instagram.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement