Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭smilgy

biebiebie wrote: »
    I think that's an issue directly related to the Smart 6 which is a Vodafone handset. Read about that issue elsewhere.. Try the Vodafone forums.

I currently have a smart ultra 6 and am wondering if anyone with this phone has gotten around this issue? I'm looking to move to vodafone and no tethering would be a big deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

smilgy wrote: »
    I currently have a smart ultra 6 and am wondering if anyone with this phone has gotten around this issue? I'm looking to move to vodafone and no tethering would be a big deal breaker.

Worst case scenario is you need to root it to remove the hs apn. Usually fairly straightforward with the su6. You can use this application to try root it.

http://mobilego.wondershare.com

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭smilgy

Moved to Vodafone on Monday. Seems like there is no issues with the smart ultra 6 so far with tethering. Haven't been charged, can delete the HS apn and it hasn't come back yet. They also gave me 10 euro credit for registering which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Thanks to OP for posting the info, so glad to be rid of Three and their awful service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

smilgy wrote: »
    Moved to Vodafone on Monday. Seems like there is no issues with the smart ultra 6 so far with tethering. Haven't been charged, can delete the HS apn and it hasn't come back yet. They also gave me 10 euro credit for registering which was nice.

Do you have root?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Does anyone else feel the data speeds on 4g aren't great?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

jeffk wrote: »

Maybe it's from the live apn?

I'm not on this plan but get nearly 50mbit down (and tiny ping) with speed tests on vodafone in dublin with my iPhone 6.

Really really curious to see if you all get the same on this plan!

Yes, was told on live chat to use live apn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

holy ****e im getting 75-85mbps on data :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Robbieol

I agree, Vodafone's coverage is incomparable to any of the other networks. I have constant 4G in the countryside where on Three and Meteor I was lucky to be getting decent 3G and haven't seen 2G once since switching either which was also a constant pain of getting stuck on 2G with the other networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Overall it's pretty good for me. Dublin City center at busy times could be better (it can drop below 10Mbps), but it is still working significantly better that Three was.

One thing though: I don't know if it is being throttled but upload speeds never seem to reach the peak values I was getting with Three. Not a bit deal but strange given the fact that download speeds are much better.

I'm meant to be using the live apn?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yes its not great in Letterkenny at all, just on the edge of the town and its 4.4mb/0.3mb.

Senna wrote: »
    Yes its not great in Letterkenny at all, just on the edge of the town and its 4.4mb/0.3mb.

That's why I wanted to go to vodafone for, meant to be the fastest network going :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That's why I wanted to go to vodafone for, meant to be the fastest network going :(

Most stable overall.

What happens when you stop monitoring download speeds?

Most stable overall.

What happens when you stop monitoring download speeds?

I doubt that either, in clonfert pet farm just outside Maynooth and the usual no data issues.

Sorry I dont get you about speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I doubt that either, in clonfert pet farm just outside Maynooth and the usual no data issues.

Sorry I dont get you about speeds?

I used to monitor speeds until I switched to Vodafone and found I didn't have to anymore, I just get a fast and stable connection anywhere.

Might be worth contacting VF as I did once have a problem with being stuck on 3G for a couple of days, but it was fixed on their end with no hassle.

onto live chat, few refresh their end, turn phone on and off

34-40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Yes, was told on live chat to use live apn

getting

having just switched this week, not great

Love someone to do meteor speed test and post it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Love someone to do meteor speed test and post it

Why though? You need to compare like with like.

I asked about the speed results of the vodafone offer because to use that data it doesn't use the High Speed APN, it uses the more limited live APN.

And by the sounds of it from the people above, performance through the live APN can be very good too. So the real limitation is now moved from the limitations of this offer over to the quality of the vodafone network in your area and your handset. And there's a mobile forum for that.

Well I signed up under the misconception that Vodafone are the best and fastest network. I don't need any of the extras(won't say no to free Spotify as I said) this deal bring, it's only dressing to me .

The thread is getting on and naturally will turn to people's usage of the deal etc

Thread made in mobiles if anyone's interested in the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Well I signed up under the misconception that Vodafone are the best and fastest network. I don't need any of the extras this deal bring, it's only dressing to me .

The thread is getting on and naturally will turn to people's usage of the deal etc
    That's the same reason why I was considering the move- no more "no signal" however they're not perfect I gather

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thread made in mobiles if anyone's interested in the outcome

Could u post a link for everyone's benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

TheDriver wrote: »
    That's the same reason why I was considering the move- no more "no signal" however they're not perfect I gather

No perfect, but for me they're definitely significantly better than Three both in Dublin and on a trip to Kerry last weekend.
    Also what you measure on Speedtest can be misleading as I think Three does prioritise that traffic, so you have to look at practical situations. An example: video streaming was pretty not working or cutting off with low resolution for me in D1/D2 at 5pm on week days. It is perfectly flawless with Vodafone at full resolution. Another one: while driving around the Dingle peninsula I had 4G coverage quite ofter and 3G almost constantly. My GF with Tesco Mobile (i.e. Three's network) next to me was stuck on 2G most of the time with spotty 3G coverage, and regularity without useable data service.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Could u post a link for everyone's benefit

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057732256

You cant really measure anything against three, its oversold and people abuse the unlimited part to the highest form

I went to clonfert pet farm(about ten minutes from Maynooth)and couldn't backup pictures to onedrive or browse the net. I thought maybe 3G at worse, its vodafone the best network in Ireland(according to almost everyone). After losing pictures once , I need a network to be uploading them ASAP after I take them.

You cant really measure anything against three, its oversold and people abuse the unlimited part to the highest form

I went to clonfert pet farm(about ten minutes from Maynooth)and couldn't backup pictures to onedrive or browse the net. I thought maybe 3G at worse, its vodafone the best network in Ireland(according to almost everyone). After losing pictures once , I need a network to be uploading them ASAP after I take them.

It's Vodafone the best network in Ireland, according to Comreg.

http://m.independent.ie/business/technology/revealed-which-irish-mobile-operators-offer-the-best-data-speeds-35600412.html

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's Vodafone the best network in Ireland, according to Comreg.

[url][/url]

Someone posted in my other thread about this and is getting over a 100, ive never seen those speeds :(

Advertisement