Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Got the hat trick (equity, property, constitutional).

See you guys next time around for Contract round 3!

:) can't believe I got Equity first time around too! Equity as your Vietnam, I'm laughing on the bus... that's 100% what these exams do to you

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Pass eu with answering 3 questions and fail the others that had 5 good (I felt) answers ! I don’t get it

• Registered Users Posts: 33 b.anna

vid36 wrote: »
    Was brought up in company after a recheck.It happens.
    Was brought up by 2 % last time. Failed it again this time so going to review it first and then decide about rechecks.

jus_me wrote: »
    Pass eu with answering 3 questions and fail the others that had 5 good (I felt) answers ! I don’t get it

Story of my life.

b.anna wrote: »
    Story of my life.

What did you do differently next time? I’m so confused

• Advertisement

What did you do differently next time? I’m so confused

I sat my last 3 in March, thought I easily passed the 2 and failed EU. Ended up getting Eu and failed the other 2. So only had to sit 2 this time. Went through all exam papers and examiner reports for contract and had about 5 cases for the whole paper (nearly fell asleep in the exam) , passed it. Knew so much more for company and had a lot more cases and ended up failing. I think problem qs are the way to go. 3 or 4 essays in company got me a fail and 4 problems in contract gave me a pass. So maybe that's something?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Passed my 3 am delighted - it is so true please do not give up on yourself. Id lost faith this was my last chance! Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pollylou75

What's the most anyone has been brought up on a recheck, trying to decide if I should bother. I'm very confused about the marking, I thought I had failed constitutional but I passed and I felt on the day I had passed contract and property and failed them. It's very disheartening and I'm sure I'm not alone in considering giving up

Pollylou75 wrote: »
    What's the most anyone has been brought up on a recheck, trying to decide if I should bother. I'm very confused about the marking, I thought I had failed constitutional but I passed and I felt on the day I had passed contract and property and failed them. It's very disheartening and I'm sure I'm not alone in considering giving up

You should go in and view your scripts It might help I’m in the same boat as you just so confused about my fails

Don't give up. Marking is crap. Don't mind them and keep going. I know easier said but there is too many people here giving out about marking so it's not just you. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Supreme!Fox

Passed my 3 am delighted - it is so true please do not give up on yourself. Id lost faith this was my last chance! Delighted.

Congratulations! Just goes to show that hard work will eventually pay off!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭vid36

Did anyone get an email confirmation about the viewing times.I filled in a slot on the website but it was crazy today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Neon Demon

My first sitting was in March 2017. Equity went so bad that I threw in the towel and didn't even attempt the other two. I got 27%.

For October 2017 I thought I done everything right. Evening course, the long nights, etc. I even done three days sober at the Electric Picnic, which ought to be considered an extreme sport. But fatigue kicked in right when it mattered and I ended up passing one, failing the rest.

Today I got there, finally. Now it's four down, four to go. I'm halfway through these bastards.

"If I can do it, anyone can do it" is how the old cliche goes. But seriously. I averaged a 2.2. throughout college because of my poor exam form (coursework pulled me up to a 2.1. just in the nick of time).

My exam prep is never satisfactory. I write at a snail's pace and I struggle to read my own handwriting at times. If I can land the magic three then guess what, you can too.

Don't lose faith and back yourself to do better next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Passed 3 so am happy out, but failed the one I didn’t even give a second thought to, was positive I had passed. Got 43. My last exam went so badly I wrote about 5 cases in the whole thing and did my last question in about 8 minutes, got 60. Genuinely the most bizarre system. It is just luck, which is unfortunate. It baffles me

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DoomDaDa

Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone who got their results!
    This is my second sitting of the exams and I've failed to get the magic three a second time.
    I'm at a loss at the moment and would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

I've attempted the "easy fours" with no prep courses and just my notes. Would I be better off just doing a prep course.

Thank you.

DoomDaDa wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

This is my second sitting of the exams and I've failed to get the magic three a second time.
    I'm at a loss at the moment and would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

I've attempted the "easy fours" with no prep courses and just my notes. Would I be better off just doing a prep course.

Thank you.

I did a prep course all the late nights etc.. and didn’t get my magic 3 either it’s so hard to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FE!student

Hi everyone,

Thank you.

It's very difficult but don't give up.

When you say that you are using your own notes, it this college notes or notes from an FE1 manual. You don't need to do the courses to pass but the starting point would be to use an FE1 manual.

Also, have you focused on the past papers? That's very important too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

Does anyone have Exam grids for EU and Equity?

I can trade for grids in Criminal, Contract, and Company..

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Hi everyone,

Thank you.

Can I ask what the "easy fours" are?

I was exactly the same as you in May. Had sat the exams twice. Both times I'd passed two and failed the third (Equity twice!) Really felt like packing it in after that.

Sat four in October and to my absolute amazement I passed all four and Equity was my highest score!

I did a prep course for the last sitting and for me the most valuable thing I got out of it was being able to practice tackling exam questions and getting feedback on them.

The courses aren't for everyone but I think the most important thing is to give yourself enough time with the study and make sure you spend plenty of time practicing exam questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LawStudent2018

Just out of curiosity what is considered a good grade? I know anything over 50 should be taken as great news but do people usually consider 70's or 60's as doing very well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Neon Demon

Just out of curiosity what is considered a good grade? I know anything over 50 should be taken as great news but do people usually consider 70's or 60's as doing very well?

Anything over 60 is very good. Anything over 70 is particularly excellent.

You should go in and view your scripts It might help I’m in the same boat as you just so confused about my fails

Has anyone ever viewed their script, is there any feedback on the paper as to where or why you lost marks or are the marks for each question only the only thing written on the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 25 keightlaw

Has anyone ever viewed their script, is there any feedback on the paper as to where or why you lost marks or are the marks for each question only the only thing written on the paper

My friend unofficially viewed her script last year and it just had the percentage. But seeing as they are officially allowing people to view scripts from now on it might have changed.

keightlaw wrote: »
    My friend unofficially viewed her script last year and it just had the percentage. But seeing as they are officially allowing people to view scripts from now on it might have changed.

I'm hoping to be able to see where I lost marks as I am genuinely baffled as to how I failed. I came out of the exam so happy with the paper and my answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Got results. 46% I am not sure if I am more upset or angry. I would love to start a petition. It is my first go but how long can one be in limbo for? A mere memory test that serves no purpose.

Open book examinations would be more of a real life practice and serve better purpose on a practical level. They themselves can be testing and need preparation but are realistic to reflect future career practice.

We have all sat our previous degree examinations. We are no longer college students but working individuals with bills to pay as well as other commitments.

Fe1 Law Society Exams standard percentage pass to be changed to 40% as with regular acceptable examination marking standards.

In the name of fairness with the consideration that many sitting examinations have no choice but to be in full-time employment. Candidates already have obtained a degree, and in most instances in Law.

This is a costly process and limiting the number of individuals financially capable or otherwise supported to pursue a career as a solicitor.

It is also causing unnecessary stress on people whom are capable and wholeheartedly doing their best to move forward with their career.

The Fe1 examinations are only a recent requirement. It is difficult enough to obtain an apprenticeship.

A career in law should not be limited to those who have the finical advantage to take time off work to study and sit these examinations.

At the very least the standard of pass be lowered to 40% which is a required standard pass at university levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Jenosul wrote: »
    Got results. 46% I am not sure if I am more upset or angry. I would love to start a petition. It is my first go but how long can one be in limbo for? A mere memory test that serves no purpose.

Open book examinations would be more of a real life practice and serve better purpose on a practical level. They themselves can be testing and need preparation but are realistic to reflect future career practice.

We have all sat our previous degree examinations. We are no longer college students but working individuals with bills to pay as well as other commitments.

Fe1 Law Society Exams standard percentage pass to be changed to 40% as with regular acceptable examination marking standards.

In the name of fairness with the consideration that many sitting examinations have no choice but to be in full-time employment. Candidates already have obtained a degree, and in most instances in Law.

This is a costly process and limiting the number of individuals financially capable or otherwise supported to pursue a career as a solicitor.

It is also causing unnecessary stress on people whom are capable and wholeheartedly doing their best to move forward with their career.

The Fe1 examinations are only a recent requirement. It is difficult enough to obtain an apprenticeship.

A career in law should not be limited to those who have the finical advantage to take time off work to study and sit these examinations.

At the very least the standard of pass be lowered to 40% which is a required standard pass at university levels.

I hear you, 100%. However, I don't know if it would be a great idea if all law students are exempt from the FE1s. There may be instances then of individuals who merely scraped a pass in, say, Contract law in their first year of college - should they be exempt from doing the Contract FE1, despite not understanding the basic principles and not having looked at it in 4years? And it also raises the question, do all law graduates go straight into PPC1, or only those who received a 2.1 or a 2.2 in their degree? Do people who got a third, i.e. 40-50% have to do the FE1s?

They brought the FE1s back in for a reason, it is a fair and standardised test for all applicants. That being said, there is definitely room for reform, and my patience with the Law Society has dwindled in the past year, it appears that they really do not care about their students. I think any anger and frustration towards the Law Society is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Insta92

I passed the first three FE 1s so I am beyond thrilled. I sat Contract, Company Law and Tort and pretty much got the same grade in all three.

Debating now which modules to sit for March. I am planning on sitting two in March and hopefully the final three in October 2019. Anyone any recommendation of what two to take together? I am considering doing EU Law and Criminal together and then sitting Constitution, Equity and Property together. The Constitution and Equity are seemingly the most difficult so don't know whether it's wise doing them two together.

I hear you, 100%. However, I don't know if it would be a great idea if all law students are exempt from the FE1s. There may be instances then of individuals who merely scraped a pass in, say, Contract law in their first year of college - should they be exempt from doing the Contract FE1, despite not understanding the basic principles and not having looked at it in 4years? And it also raises the question, do all law graduates go straight into PPC1, or only those who received a 2.1 or a 2.2 in their degree? Do people who got a third, i.e. 40-50% have to do the FE1s?

They brought the FE1s back in for a reason, it is a fair and standardised test for all applicants. That being said, there is definitely room for reform, and my patience with the Law Society has dwindled in the past year, it appears that they really do not care about their students. I think any anger and frustration towards the Law Society is warranted.

Good point made. We are all frustrated I thino!

Having worked in an office I deem my degree to be an advantage but the practically of the work my degree did not benefit me all that well! I had a lot to learn.

It was all the practical elements I had to get to grips with. Knowing case names off my head didn’t matter a ****. This is just my own view. Being able to quote Denning didn’t fecking help me either 😂 my boss even said 70% of what I did in college I won’t use. Not sure I agree wholeheartedly to that extreme but...

There are people I know who did extremely well in exams and practically not as good and people I know who did not do as well but are fantastic solicitors. Just my opinion as degree is a degree many disagree including many firms I know but just my opinion.

I totally agree with your point on not looking at Contract let’s say for 4 years and then your in an office not knowing basics is not great!

I would have loved part of my degree to have required the practical side of working in a firm. This I think for me would have benefited me more than the fe1’s.

I have to go now revise all the lists of case names I now forgot..that I won’t really need to know. Fml

Insta92 wrote: »
    I passed the first three FE 1s so I am beyond thrilled. I sat Contract, Company Law and Tort and pretty much got the same grade in all three.

Debating now which modules to sit for March. I am planning on sitting two in March and hopefully the final three in October 2019. Anyone any recommendation of what two to take together? I am considering doing EU Law and Criminal together and then sitting Constitution, Equity and Property together. The Constitution and Equity are seemingly the most difficult so don't know whether it's wise doing them two together.

Well done to you!! I heard Constitution and EU are the hardest too. Just because there is so much in them- so many topics.

Equity don’t underestimate it, property wasn’t that bad easements, adverse procession. It’s not that bad.

I didn’t sit criminal but heard from a friend I should have as it wasn’t that bad.

Hope this helps. Well done again!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Jenosul wrote: »

Junior cert pass is 40%. LLM is 50%. Medicine is 60-65%. 50 is fair and I think necessary for professional exams.

There’s a separate thread that might be of interest though: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057917486/8
    Or search “FE1 challenge the rules”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement