Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

shellbm wrote: »
    Hey everyone, can anyone advise whether I am cutting it very fine for Constitutional?? I know people say you cant leave out any topics etc but I have 2 other exams to focus on in the mean time..

I have notes prepared for the following;
    1. Amending the Constitution
    2. The Attorney General
    3. The President
    5. The Courts
    4. Judicial Review
    5. Findings of Constitutionality
    6. Separation of Powers
    7. Fundamental Rights
    8. Personal Rights
    9. Due Course of Law and Due Process
    9. Property Rights
    10. Equality
    12. Inviolability of the Dwelling
    13. Freedom of Expression
    14. Freedom of Religion
    15. Family and Education
    16. Fair procedure
    17. Right to Silence

Intended on leaving out constitutional interpretation as it came up last paper...

I would leave out courts and do interpretation

Hey everyone, can anyone advise whether I am cutting it very fine for Constitutional?? I know people say you cant leave out any topics etc but I have 2 other exams to focus on in the mean time..

I have notes prepared for the following;
    1. Amending the Constitution
    2. The Attorney General
    3. The President
    5. The Courts
    4. Judicial Review
    5. Findings of Constitutionality
    6. Separation of Powers
    7. Fundamental Rights
    8. Personal Rights
    9. Due Course of Law and Due Process
    9. Property Rights
    10. Equality
    12. Inviolability of the Dwelling
    13. Freedom of Expression
    14. Freedom of Religion
    15. Family and Education
    16. Fair procedure
    17. Right to Silence

Intended on leaving out constitutional interpretation as it came up last paper...

Just crossed my mind I think you should cover proportionality

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Lumi77 wrote: »
    Just crossed my mind I think you should cover proportionality

Yes you shouldn't leave out proportionality. President came up last time so probably be AG this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Have 3 exams in a row criminal property and contract. I am very far behind in contract and have to take a gamble for it. Any chapters which you reckon i could leave out? Or what should i definitely do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thedocker

kevin125 wrote: »
    Did anyone answer q1 on the EU paper yday? I just gave info re the relevant institutions, had nothing about the effects from Lisbon. Just wondering would I pick up some marks for it? I'm aware it was about the effects of the lisbon treaty.[/quote

You should get something for it anyway. If that's the only worry you've got and your other 4 answers were fine then you're one of the lucky ones. I thought the EU paper was extremely tough and very narrowly focused. I very nearly walked out after within the first hour. Studied very hard for it and could only manage to answer five questions poorly. Can't help but think that unless the marker goes easy on people the fail rate will be very high.

• Advertisement

Have 3 exams in a row criminal property and contract. I am very far behind in contract and have to take a gamble for it. Any chapters which you reckon i could leave out? Or what should i definitely do?

Did you do equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Lumi77 wrote: »
    Did you do equity?

Yeah, did equity there and was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭laurenburne

Are we all set for Tort?? (",) I just want Thursday to come around now and be over!

I'm pushing all the stories I've heard of how tough a marker he is out of my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 binkevii

Public Authority liability - must do or not?

Are we all set for Tort?? (",) I just want Thursday to come around now and be over!

I'm pushing all the stories I've heard of how tough a marker he is out of my mind!

noo, not yet.. what are your predictions what will come up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Username 1993

Hi guys would anyone be able to say if it would be realistic to study for the FE1s for the first time with 8 weeks to prepare for 4 examinations? I know there are no 'easier' exams and everyone has their own preferences, but are there some subjects which have significantly shorter and more straightforward topics than others? 

Any help would be appreciated and good luck for the exams!

Yeah, did equity there and was happy.

Well you should have at least 4 chapters covered from that.
    So offer and acceptance, consumer law, remedies, consideration , mistake, misrep, exclusion clauses and terms of contract.
    Hope that helps

binkevii wrote: »
    Public Authority liability - must do or not?

Ugh I havnt got around to that yet. I really hope it's not a really specific paper with fire and other really small topics...like public authority aand fatal injuries. I don't really like occupier liability either haha..can you get a sense of my current mood.

I'd love animal liability and nervous shock.

I still need to cover employer liability, fatal injuries, rylands may appear (I hate that chapter), economic loss could be a nice one.

What are you covering/ leaving out?

I feel like I still need to cover so much but I usually always get "the fear" before these exams that I know nothing at all...question what have I even been doing all the time I spent studying and then more comes to you then you think.

I havnt done any preparatory course.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 graduate555

Hi guys would anyone be able to say if it would be realistic to study for the FE1s for the first time with 8 weeks to prepare for 4 examinations? I know there are no 'easier' exams and everyone has their own preferences, but are there some subjects which have significantly shorter and more straightforward topics than others? 

It's definitely doable. Equity, contract and property overlap so much - I started those less than a month before as I couldn't get any materials til then, I studied flat out and passed just fine. I would add criminal or company to those and you should be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

I second graduate555, it's very doable! I would advise against doing my combination of property, equity, contract and criminal though as you may find yourself (as I am now) overburdened when you try to do the remaining four in the next sitting as the courses are much longer.

So I decided to stick with both Tort and Constitutional but I just realised I have really neglected Constitutional. So far I'm doing:

Constitutional Interpretation
    Separation of Powers
    Locus Standing
    Presumption of Constitutionality
    Referendum Law
    Effects of Unconstitutionality
    Principles of Express and Unenumerated Rights
    Unenumerated Rights
    Property Rights and the Right to Livelihood
    Freedom of Religion
    Freedom of Expression/Right to Privacy
    Fair Procedures (?!)

Any ideas what else I should cover at this late stage I would really appreciate some suggestions??!!

What are you covering/ leaving out?

Duty of care/Standard of care
    Res Ipsa Loquitur
    Economic Loss
    Nervous Shock
    Medical Negligence
    Employers' liability
    Vicarious liability
    Liability for defective products
    Defamation
    Tresspass to Land/Nuisance/Rylands v Fletcher
    Liability for Animals/Fire
    Damages
    Limitations of Actions

Is it enough?? what should I add?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

odwyer94 wrote: »
    So I decided to stick with both Tort and Constitutional but I just realised I have really neglected Constitutional. So far I'm doing:

Constitutional Interpretation
    Separation of Powers
    Locus Standing
    Presumption of Constitutionality
    Referendum Law
    Effects of Unconstitutionality
    Principles of Express and Unenumerated Rights
    Unenumerated Rights
    Property Rights and the Right to Livelihood
    Freedom of Religion
    Freedom of Expression/Right to Privacy
    Fair Procedures (?!)

Any ideas what else I should cover at this late stage I would really appreciate some suggestions??!!

I would also do two or three of: Family and Education - Attorney General - Trial in Due Course of Law.

Constitutional is my last one and it's killing me; feel like I know loads until I look at the exam papers :(

Yoop don't worry, that's an entirely normal feeling with constitutional! I was the exact same with that subject.

If you feel you know loads and understand it well then that will show through and you can make the questions fit round that. Best of luck with it!

binkevii wrote: »
    Duty of care/Standard of care
    Res Ipsa Loquitur
    Economic Loss
    Nervous Shock
    Medical Negligence
    Employers' liability
    Vicarious liability
    Liability for defective products
    Defamation
    Tresspass to Land/Nuisance/Rylands v Fletcher
    Liability for Animals/Fire
    Damages
    Limitations of Actions

Is it enough?? what should I add?

That looks very good to me, I'm aiming to do pretty much the same. I'm going to get stuck into Damages today, I havnt done it yet.

I covered limitations before but I don't feel like I know it well enough at all yet. Oh fire too, I need to look at that.

Have you done causation?

• Advertisement

Yoop wrote: »
    I would also do two or three of: Family and Education - Attorney General - Trial in Due Course of Law.

Constitutional is my last one and it's killing me; feel like I know loads until I look at the exam papers :(

Thanks a million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Hi,

Would anyone be able to pass on a criminal law grid and/or examiner reports?

I thought I was all set for the exam and now that Im sitting down to look at it, I havent a clue and am panicking!! :( I just have criminal and contract holding me back from Blackhall but now I really think I will be stuck coming back in October to do these again :(

Thanks if anyone can assist.

qwerty1991 wrote: »
    Hi,

Would anyone be able to pass on a criminal law grid and/or examiner reports?

I thought I was all set for the exam and now that Im sitting down to look at it, I havent a clue and am panicking!! :( I just have criminal and contract holding me back from Blackhall but now I really think I will be stuck coming back in October to do these again :(

Thanks if anyone can assist.

Head up . You should be fine. Criminal is a really high pass rate . It's my first sitting and am only confident in criminal.
    The questions will be mixed and you need to cover most of the course.
    I have grid but new to forum so don't know how to give it to you

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭the great communicator

This may seem stupid at this stage to be asking but...

In tort when I'm answering a general negligence question (like q1 or 3) on the last paper do I mention Glencar? Or do I just jump into standard/causation/remoteness?

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows the final decision in the recent case of Kerrins v PAC. Please.
    I can't find it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

Can someone who has done property shed some light on the pass rate and marking of the exam?? Starting to get really worried about it, considering ditching it altogether and focusing on criminal and constitutional...

I will have the following covered;
    1. succession
    2. family property
    3. adverse possession
    4. co-ownership
    5. easements
    6. Landlord and Tenant
    7. mortgages
    8. systems of land registration
    9. items above and below the land/treasure trove

I won't have enough time to cover anything else !!

thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 43 graduate555

In tort when I'm answering a general negligence question (like q1 or 3) on the last paper do I mention Glencar? Or do I just jump into standard/causation/remoteness?

I would for sure mention Glencar first, just even briefly to show to the examiner that you understand that duty of care first has to be established before you can assess the standard owed and whether damage has been caused by the breach. I haven't even looked at questions yet! Is it always questions 1 and 3 are negligence?

I'm pretty sure it's straight to causation etc for those questions.

Can someone who has done property shed some light on the pass rate and marking of the exam?? Starting to get really worried about it, considering ditching it altogether and focusing on criminal and constitutional...

I will have the following covered;
    1. succession
    2. family property
    3. adverse possession
    4. co-ownership
    5. easements
    6. Landlord and Tenant
    7. mortgages
    8. systems of land registration
    9. items above and below the land/treasure trove

I won't have enough time to cover anything else !!

thanks so much

I don't know the stats you're after but
    that's loads! You'll have your pick of questions if you've all those prepped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭the great communicator

I would for sure mention Glencar first, just even briefly to show to the examiner that you understand that duty of care first has to be established before you can assess the standard owed and whether damage has been caused by the breach. I haven't even looked at questions yet! Is it always questions 1 and 3 are negligence?

No sorry, just happened to be that way on the last paper. They're more causation/remoteness/standard specific than asking for any discussion of Glencar etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement