Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dunne1995

TheCrutzer wrote: »
    With regards to legislative sources, for Eu I can bring in Blackstone can't I?
    And for property is there any acts which you can bring in?

Details on what you can bring in for each are on the syllabus

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/FE-1/FE1Syllabus.pdf

You can bring succession act 1965 and land act 2009 for property available from Office of Public Works

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tobeginbegin

Does anyone have a list of case notes for constitutional? Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 louser1

Does anyone have a list of case notes for constitutional? Thank you!

Hi I have case updates 2014-2015, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for? PM your email if you'd like it. If you have any Tort sample answers I'd appreciate it :) thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 louser1

clare2015 wrote: »
    Anyone happen to have uptodate eu,constitutional or company grid?happy to exchange what I have for the other subjects im just struggling to find the above!thanks

I have eu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm a little late to the party. I didn't expect to be doing them until later in the year but my boss gave me a kick up the arse last week. He wants me to make a stab at my first three, so here I am!

I'm starting on property tonight. I'm gonna have to hedge my bets and leave out a few topics (is that what everyone does?). I'm just wondering what are the ones that I have to do (i.e. the ones I'd be mad to skip)? I hear there are two questions on the Succession Act each year. Is that still the case?

Many thanks.

What three subjects are you doing?
    Have u time off between now and exams ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

annmc882 wrote: »
    What three subjects are you doing?
    Have u time off between now and exams ?

Hi. I'm doing property, equity and contract.

I'm taking a week off in the lead up to my first and then a further 5 working days after that.

Is it a lost cause already? :-)

My boss paid for my exams and is giving me paid leave so in some respects I've nothing to lose. I just don't want to have to say I failed. It might sound like he's being unreasonable with the notice he gave me, but I've been with him a while now and for one reason or another I just haven't kicked on. So he just wants me to get cracking.

Edit: I've thirteen working days off throughout the entire period along with the weekend and 2-3 hours each evening after work.

If u can get all ur notes sorted for the week off and go for it 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8 goconquer

Hi Guys, what are people thinking topic wise for Company?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LegalAnna

When they say you have to bring "unmarked" copies of the legislation does that mean you cannot tab them?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

LegalAnna wrote: »
    When they say you have to bring "unmarked" copies of the legislation does that mean you cannot tab them?

You can both Tab and Highlight your legislation. I know from experience.

Unmarked means no writing notes on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

LegalAnna wrote: »
    You can tab, highlight or underline. You cannot write anything on the tabs or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

Hi. I'm doing property, equity and contract.

I'm taking a week off in the lead up to my first and then a further 5 working days after that.

Is it a lost cause already? :-)

My boss paid for my exams and is giving me paid leave so in some respects I've nothing to lose. I just don't want to have to say I failed. It might sound like he's being unreasonable with the notice he gave me, but I've been with him a while now and for one reason or another I just haven't kicked on. So he just wants me to get cracking.

Edit: I've thirteen working days off throughout the entire period along with the weekend and 2-3 hours each evening after work.
    if you pull it off you deserve a prize starting this late.good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

20029422 wrote: »
    if you pull it off you deserve a prize starting this late.good luck

Ha, cheers!

I graduated in 2014 so a lot of it is still in my head, plus I'm lucky enough to work with a lot of case law, injunctions, trusts, etc. So I'm not worried about the content per se. It's just the volume.

Keep the head down and plough on

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ha, cheers!

I graduated in 2014 so a lot of it is still in my head, plus I'm lucky enough to work with a lot of case law, injunctions, trusts, etc. So I'm not worried about the content per se. It's just the volume.

You are in a great position from the sounds of things. If you apply your time correctly to the gaps in your knowledge, you should be able to sail through the exams.

It's hard work but it pays huge dividends so you'd be mad not to give it a real go. Work your ass off for a few days and you'll pass these no issue.

If you opt to take things easy and procrastinate over your limited time off, expect to fail but if you actually engage with the syllabuses and cover everything off, you can expect to pass and go ahead with your career.

Ha, cheers!

You are in a great position from the sounds of things. If you apply your time correctly to the gaps in your knowledge, you should be able to sail through the exams.

It's hard work but it pays huge dividends so you'd be mad not to give it a real go. Work your ass off for a few days and you'll pass these no issue.

If you opt to take things easy and procrastinate over your limited time off, expect to fail but if you actually engage with the syllabuses and cover everything off, you can expect to pass and go ahead with your career.

Very well said! Keep the faith and be productive with your time. You've as good chance as anyone sitting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fe1 2017

I was just wondering what anyone is covering for EU? The course seems so big and not sure what to prioritise/cut. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tommyhayes1979

Hi
    Do you know the topics that came up for equity oct 16.
    Any insight much appreciated
    T

Teamhrach wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I have a copy of all the October 2016 papers if anyone needs them.

I'm unsure what topic some of the questions are on so would be grateful if someone could send me up-to-date exam grids for Constitutional, Equity, Contract and Company. Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 angelicapickle

Could anyone enlighten me about any big Constitutional cases in 2016 that would be likely to appear on the casenotes question for Constitutional law? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

Hi
    Do you know the topics that came up for equity oct 16.
    Any insight much appreciated
    T

3 certs,estoppel,New constructive trust;charitable trusts.specific performance, don't know question 6, 7.satisfaction.trustees. rectification of unilateral mistakes,8 undue influence I could be wrong on question 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MurphyL

Hi guys wondering if someone can tell me what came up on the last Constitutional paper in October? Also does anyone have any tips or suggestions on what to leave out? A bit overwhelmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

So far I've failed two exams (definitely failed EU and probably failed Company also) and now I've to somehow cram both Tort and Constitutional over the next 5 days. At this stage I think dropping out of Tort would probably be a wise idea, otherwise I'll end up failing all 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

odwyer94 wrote: »
    So far I've failed two exams (definitely failed EU and probably failed Company also) and now I've to somehow cram both Tort and Constitutional over the next 5 days. At this stage I think dropping out of Tort would probably be a wise idea, otherwise I'll end up failing all 4!

Don't think like that at all! Keep going and put the same energy into Tort and Constitutional. In my first sitting I sat three and was sure I messed up my second exam, Criminal. I was half contemplating not bothering sitting Equity two days later.. I flew them all so you just never know. Both the EU and Company Examiners have very high pass rates.

Take a night or two off to relax.. have a glass of wine and wath a good film! Then get straight back into it in a few days time ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

smeal wrote: »
    Don't think like that at all! Keep going and put the same energy into Tort and Constitutional. In my first sitting I sat three and was sure I messed up my second exam, Criminal. I was half contemplating not bothering sitting Equity two days later.. I flew them all so you just never know. Both the EU and Company Examiners have very high pass rates.

Take a night or two off to relax.. have a glass of wine and wath a good film! Then get straight back into it in a few days time ☺

Haha I would love to take a night or two off but the problem is that I haven't really started learning either Constitutional or Tort, I've spent most of the past two weeks studying EU and Company thinking I'd have a week to cram for the second two but I really only have 5 full days realistically so even if I did 10 hours a day for the next five days it probably still wouldn't be enough to pass the two topics so I'm thinking I should just focus on one, I'd probably have a better chance of passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

I feel your pain... I prepared so much for EU and it ended up being an absolute mess. I have no words... and now need to start preparing for constitutional... it really was a tough paper... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Haha I would love to take a night or two off but the problem is that I haven't really started learning either Constitutional or Tort, I've spent most of the past two weeks studying EU and Company thinking I'd have a week to cram for the second two but I really only have 5 full days realistically so even if I did 10 hours a day for the next five days it probably still wouldn't be enough to pass the two topics so I'm thinking I should just focus on one, I'd probably have a better chance of passing.

I'd agree with smeal, these exams are impossible to judge! I did four last sitting and had convinced myself that there was no way I could possibly have passed them. I ended up passing 3 of them. I was bowled over.

Don't lose heart. Put everything you have into them over the next week and you could well surprise yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pottsss777

So while tabbing the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 I realised that what was in the acts was not matching what my notes and manual said.

I realise now that there is a revised version of the Sale of Goods Act 1893 (updated to 30 June 2016) and Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 (4 June 2014). Are these the versions we need? Will I be able to get them from the government office or is there any other way to get them (quickly preferably!)? I did tell the lady at the government office I was doing the FE1s....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

pottsss777 wrote: »
    So while tabbing the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 I realised that what was in the acts was not matching what my notes and manual said.

I realise now that there is a revised version of the Sale of Goods Act 1893 (updated to 30 June 2016) and Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 (4 June 2014). Are these the versions we need? Will I be able to get them from the government office or is there any other way to get them (quickly preferably!)? I did tell the lady at the government office I was doing the FE1s....

I may check my acts too then! What are the differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pottsss777

s14(4) Sale of Goods Act 1893: "An express warranty or condition does not negative a warranty or condition implied by this Act unless inconsistent therewith."

Revised Act - s14(4) Sale of Goods Act 1893: "(4) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business and the buyer, expressly or by implication, makes known to the seller any particular purpose for which the goods are being bought, there is an implied condition that the goods supplied under the contract are reasonably fit for that purpose, whether or not that is a purpose for which such goods are commonly supplied, except where the circumstances show that the buyer does not rely, or that it is unreasonable for him to rely, on the seller's skill or judgement."

The latter is what my independent colleges manual says!

On the Irish Statute Book there is a link to the Revised Act

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

pottsss777 wrote: »

I hope we should be OK with the old ones I got mine from law society

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement