Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I hear its still snowing in parts of northern and eastern Europe. Britain got loads of snow during winter and Ireland didnt so maybe it will even itself out and Ireland will get more snow this month?

'Em it was still snowing in northern and eastern Europe during many, many, many (yes that many) Aprils before, this is absolutely nothing new.

Britain did not get "loads" of snow. You're overexaggerating that, they were poor for snow this Winter. Even Winter 2015/16 had more snowfall than Winter 2016/17 and that was a record breaking mild Winter.

The last time April got a somewhat major snow event in Ireland was way back in the 90s.

It's not going to snow here and definitely not anytime soon. Temperatures are expected to be very close to average and are way too mild for snowfall to take place.

The models are hinting at this April being potentially one of the driest on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's very wet in West Clare at the moment anyway!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's very wet in West Clare at the moment anyway!

The rainfall does not look that heavy at all on the radar, are you sure? I can trust you right? ;). Also, many of the driest Aprils on record tend to have their very wet day like 2007 had the 25th which had rainfalls of more than 20mm in parts of the west.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Glad I was working today, not that pleasant with mist, drizzle and light rain much of the day even though amounts small at 2.6mm. The cloud base was very low but lifting now and brighter patches appearing. Would be nice to see a bit of clear sky before night. At least tomorrow looking a bit better if somewhat cool and with the threat of a few showers.

KZzx9i0.gif

9YkRHyh.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The rainfall does not look that heavy at all on the radar, are you sure? I can trust you right? ;). Also, many of the driest Aprils on record tend to have their very wet day like 2007 had the 25th which had rainfalls of more than 20mm in parts of the west.

Very wet doesn't mean heavy, and don't trust those radars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭OldRio

The models are hinting at this April being potentially one of the driest on record.

Ah now.

OldRio wrote: »
    Ah now.

And the strangest thing is that the driest of the anomalies are to the west of Ireland.

And the strangest thing is that the driest of the anomalies are to the west of Ireland.

No anomalies in Leitrim. Just rain. Just showers at the moment.

OldRio wrote: »
    No anomalies in Leitrim. Just rain. Just showers at the moment.

Here's one model in particular showing this (CFSv2) in case you thought I was lying. I think that for Ireland as a whole, it will be a rather dry April, nothing particularly remarkable.

euPrecMonInd1.gif

• Advertisement

I didn't think you were lying.

And neither am I.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We have had just 14.8mm in Castlebar so far this month, we usually average around 100mm plus in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Very wet doesn't mean heavy, and don't trust those radars.

Definitely this. I work outdoors and have had to call off sessions when the mist has been super heavy and the place has been soaking but there'll be zilch on the radar!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Overall not a bad day here in Tralee if feeling a bit cool in the Wind, good sunshine throughout the day and a nice fine calm evening at 9.7C

High Temp here near Tralee 12.3C, no rain.

Ogimet Max Temp Rounded

EEB5cby.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Hi folks just wondering if Meteorite or any of the other knowledgeable regulars would be so kind as to provide me with a forecast for Galway Bay tomorrow. Planning on taking some guests to the Aran islands on my boat. Met E.'s regional forecast is suggesting rain in the afternoon with freshening southerly winds, which would put me off. However other sources such as netweather are predicting calm dry conditions all day.

Hi folks just wondering if Meteorite or any of the other knowledgeable regulars would be so kind as to provide me with a forecast for Galway Bay tomorrow. Planning on taking some guests to the Aran islands on my boat. Met E.'s regional forecast is suggesting rain in the afternoon with freshening southerly winds, which would put me off. However other sources such as netweather are predicting calm dry conditions all day.

Out of any day this week, Tuesday has the highest chance for rainfall with a 10% chance. But as you can see, this is a very low chance and if any rain does come off, it will be very weak. Tuesday is expected to be a rather cool and cloudy day at Galway Bay in light easterly breezes of up to 11km/hr (southerlies :pac: what?). Temperatures just slightly below average for mid April of up to 12c. Pretty uneventful really.

IMO I think sryanbruen's forecast is probably spot on. Winds look very light ( have sailed around there and tomorrow looks like I'd be motoring and tying up the sail until perhaps a bit of light wind in the afternoon and even at that it looks very light. Yeah probably overcast for the most part with a bit of mist/ light rain a possibility at some stage.

You will have to post a pic!

kzhJWfK.png

Magic Seaweed Swell

vt1ViYP.png?1

At Knock Airport, it has been a very dull April so far with around only 35-36 hours of sunshine.

Thanks Sryan and Meteorite it's much appreciated. Great to have the likes of ye to turn to! It's a motor boat Meteorite so won't have to contend with lack of wind anyway. I'll let ye know how it turns out.

In May, I am hopefully going to start doing up tables of Irish stations. I would post the tables in the Irish Weather Statistics thread if anybody will be interested in them. I would post on the 14th/15th/16th of the month, depending on how many days a month has. So for February, I would post on the 14th (even if it's a leap year). For April, June, September and November, I would post on the 15th. For January, March, May, July, August, October and December, I would post on the 16th. I would also post at the end of the month. At the end of a tri-monthly period, so for example, January-March (so a total of 4 a year), I would post a table consisting of the statistics for that period for all stations.

I am going to be doing Mean Temperatures, Rainfall and Sunshine. The stations I will do are the ones found on Met Éireann's Yesterday's Weather page. If you would like your station to be included in these tables or experiment of mine :p, feel free to send me statistics and I will include them. I will also include my own station, Grange in the tables of course :D. Can't go without the amazing station that is Grange :rolleyes: (if you did not get it, that was clearly sarcasm :pac:).

Obviously, if nobody will be interested, I won't do this. So what are your thoughts? Should I do it or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

In May, I am hopefully going to start doing up tables of Irish stations. I would post the tables in the Irish Weather Statistics thread if anybody will be interested in them. I would post on the 14th/15th/16th of the month, depending on how many days a month has. So for February, I would post on the 14th (even if it's a leap year). For April, June, September and November, I would post on the 15th. For January, March, May, July, August, October and December, I would post on the 16th. I would also post at the end of the month. At the end of a tri-monthly period, so for example, January-March (so a total of 4 a year), I would post a table consisting of the statistics for that period for all stations.

I am going to be doing Mean Temperatures, Rainfall and Sunshine. The stations I will do are the ones found on Met Éireann's Yesterday's Weather page. If you would like your station to be included in these tables or experiment of mine :p, feel free to send me statistics and I will include them. I will also include my own station, Grange in the tables of course :D. Can't go without the amazing station that is Grange :rolleyes: (if you did not get it, that was clearly sarcasm :pac:).

Obviously, if nobody will be interested, I won't do this. So what are your thoughts? Should I do it or not?

Are you planning to do this manually or are you going to use a program to pull data from Met Éireann's site?

Rougies wrote: »

Are you planning to do this manually or are you going to use a program to pull data from Met Éireann's site?

Manually

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

So after an extremely warm start to spring here in Southern Poland, we've hit the wall running! Had temperatures up to 27c 10 days ago and now the snow is back!

Currently -2c and snowing quite hard.

414936.jpg

414937.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

snaps wrote: »
    Had temperatures up to 27c 10 days ago and now the snow is back! Currently -2c and snowing quite hard.

Oof, rather you than me! I like snow, but I'm very glad for our unadventurous climate when I hear things like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

MJohnston wrote: »
    Oof, rather you than me! I like snow, but I'm very glad for our unadventurous climate when I hear things like that :)

Its rare but not unusual! the 2nd week of may onwards is in theory supposed to be frost and snow free.

But by then we will be in Summer mode.....30c+!

Its rare but not unusual! the 2nd week of may onwards is in theory supposed to be frost and snow free.

I remember in June 2013, northern Russia recorded similar conditions. Daytime temperatures on 10 June 2013 were up to 30c then by the 12/13 June, they were down to 0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Heh, again, rather you than me ;)

Next week again looking very cool for late April.... third year in a row this has happened.

IMO I think sryanbruen's forecast is probably spot on. Winds look very light ( have sailed around there and tomorrow looks like I'd be motoring and tying up the sail until perhaps a bit of light wind in the afternoon and even at that it looks very light. Yeah probably overcast for the most part with a bit of mist/ light rain a possibility at some stage.

You will have to post a pic!

Well folks we had a lovely day on Galway Bay yesterday, sunshine for nearly the entire day and felt quite warm while on the Aran islands. The easterly wind that Sryan and other forecasts mentioned didn't materialize though. Winds were very light westerly up to around lunchtime, then backed to southwesterly and freshened slightly for a couple of hours before veering back to westerly and dropping again. Thanks again for your help guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Lovely charts if its interesting weather your after. The last time we had any properly interesting weather imo was the same time last year aswell with similar charts.

Advertisement