Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

sryanbruen wrote:
    And yes I do BUT there's a couple of differences with that Spring and this Spring (so far). You can see the differences here:

sryanbruen wrote:
    March 2012 Very dryExceptionally warmRather sunny March 2017 Rather wetRather mildRather sunny Also, the first half to April is most certainly not looking like how April 2012 was.

Ha sorry that was an actual question! I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, never mind what the weather was doing 5 years ago!

So to cut it short we has a good spring and a crap summer in 2012, so I should be praying for rain till May?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

nagdefy wrote: »
    No other time of the year bar March and April can have wintry and summery weather in such close proximity. Even within the one week! By summery i mean temps of 20C and over. Wintery, snowfall and ice. Perhaps October can sometimes have both weather types but snow in October is rarer than in March and April.

Here are a few examples:

27th March 1995, snow in the northern half of the country, by April 1st the temperatures reached 21C widely.

April 1989 was very cold with snowfall. The winds changed to a southerly direction on 30th of the month and temps exceeded 20C.

2 April 1987, widespread snowfall, by 17th April temps were up to 20C and late that month would edge towards the mid 20s.
    This post reminded me of two official temperature records made at the Phoenix Park within two weeks of each other in the spring of 1945.
    April 20th 22.2c
    May 4th -5.6c
    These records still stand after more than 70 years by the way. A big swing (as in nadgefy's post) from cold to warm is unusual enough but such a big swing from warm to cold is remarkable! .... I think so anyway.
    The winter of 1945 also saw some unusual extremes. The January mean at the Phoenix Park was a very cold 1.7c followed by an unusually mild February at 8.1c.
    * off topic I know but it is very quiet around here at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Timehop telling me that 4 years ago on the 28th we had snow (near Roundwood) and the children making snow angels and sledging - today's timehop from 4 years ago has them cycling in t shirts...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

For much of the day yesterday, I watched a near constant stream of black shower clouds running just a few miles to my east. Today, the opposite, increasingly dark and angry showery looking clouds streaming up just few miles west. Here, nothing! :mad:

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    For much of the day yesterday, I watched a near constant stream of black shower clouds running just a few miles to my east. Today, the opposite, increasingly dark and angry showery looking clouds streaming up just few miles west. Here, nothing! :mad:

Consider yourself lucky!
    It's pouring all day here in wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Up to this very minute, it has been the perfect day for me, plenty of cloud but still warm at the same time yet comfortably warm. My favourite type of weather besides snow honestly.

Ha sorry that was an actual question! I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, never mind what the weather was doing 5 years ago!

So to cut it short we has a good spring and a crap summer in 2012, so I should be praying for rain till May?

Oops :p. Well, I wouldn't call 2012 a good Spring overall, I would call it very mixed because here's the summaries for each month of Spring 2012 and you can see why I think so:

March: Very warm, dry and sunny.
    April: Very wet in the south and east, cold and sunny.
    May: Rather wet and sunny in places. Variable temperatures due to the first half being exceptionally cold and a "mini-heatwave" taking place in the much warmer second half.

Going by how most good Springs and the Summers that followed them have been throughout the history of Irish weather, yes you should be praying for rain till May but you can never guarantee a good Summer even if that happens. 2015 for instance had a very mixed Spring:

March: Rather cool, wet and sunny.
    April: Mostly dry and variable temperatures. Sunniest April on record.
    May: Awfully wet, cold and dull. Honestly one of the worst months I have experienced in my life.

And the Summer that followed was the second coldest of the 21st century so far after 2011 with all three Summer months being colder than normal whilst June was dry but July and August were wet.

EDIT: Oops I forgot to answer your question :P and here is the summaries for Summer 2012 for you.

June: Extremely wet, dull and cold. Wettest June on record. Dullest on record in parts.
    July: Very cold, wet and dull.
    August: Rather warm, wet and variable sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

The showers yday went between me and you
    Missed us by no more than a km as athenry got drowned !
    I was delighted
    Rain is rain
    And I don't like rain

Avoided majority today too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Consider yourself lucky!
    It's pouring all day here in wexford.

A good share of rain to come overnight it would seem in the Eastern half of the country especially in the SE.

kRYvi84.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Thankfully an end in sight to the current spell of dull and damp weather. The last 3 days here in Waterford City have been similar with today having the heaviest of the rain with 10mm recorded so far.
    The weekend and into next week looking decent with maybe a blip on Monday before the Azores High reasserts itself.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Threatened to lash rain a couple of times, and actually heard a bit of thunder to the east of us earlier this evening, but it managed to stay dry all day in north meath, felt warm to

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We had 18mm of rain this evening in Castlebar, humidity is currently at 98%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Heading to the match in the Aviva tomorrow, MT's forecast looks a lot more optimistic than met eireann. Hope he's right

Southeastern England reached 21.8c yesterday making it the warmest March day since 2012 in the UK. Our highest yesterday was 16.8c at Malin Head and Mt. Dillon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

feeling warm again today, I am much preferring the weather over past few days then the 3 sunny days we had last weekend because it was far too cold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some rain still to come in the W and NW this evening

YfegleT.gif

FUB6Vqf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Galway united Vs Sligo rovers game called off
    9.8 mm of rain between ,7and 8 in Galway city !

All missed us thankfully

Felt like a day in late May or even June today... it was that warm. Beautiful day anyway especially for March.

I think March was a very mixed bag overall. I don't think it was a terrible or great month in contrast to February being an absolute misery of a month. What do you think Gonzo?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Felt like a day in late May or even June today... it was that warm. Beautiful day anyway especially for March.

I think March was a very mixed bag overall. I don't think it was a terrible or great month in contrast to February being an absolute misery of a month. What do you think Gonzo?

February was bad, the start of March was also miserable, the rest of the month was okish with the last 3 days the first decent feeling of warmth with temperatures finally rising above 13C. There were some very wet spells in March, things starting to dry up a bit over the past week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Heading to the match in the Aviva tomorrow, MT's forecast looks a lot more optimistic than met eireann. Hope he's right

Met Eireann again on the money for these parts real April showers day temp 13 degrees.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    February was bad, the start of March was also miserable, the rest of the month was okish with the last 3 days the first decent feeling of warmth with temperatures finally rising above 13C. There were some very wet spells in March, things starting to dry up a bit over the past week.

You didn't even get above 13c on the 15th? I got to 17c on the 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

100 years ago today a huge snowstorm hit Ireland, unfortunately there aren't many reports unlike 1947 but it seems the western part of the country got the heaviest falls and it was definitely caused by a polar low.
    -7.2c was recorded at the Phoenix Park on this day (the lowest April temperature of the 20th century) ... we can't even get that in January now !!

Rrea00119170401.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

100 years ago today a huge snowstorm hit Ireland, unfortunately there aren't many reports unlike 1947 but it seems the western part of the country got the heaviest falls and it was definitely caused by a polar low.
    -7.2c was recorded at the Phoenix Park on this day (the lowest April temperature of the 20th century) ... we can't even get that in January now !!

Rrea00119170401.gif

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/HeavySnows1917.pdf

A little bit at the end here Elmer..

sryanbruen wrote: »
    You didn't even get above 13c on the 15th? I got to 17c on the 15th.

I can't really remember that day, possibly hit 15C that day, the majority of March was around 9-13C. Maybe the odd 14 and 15C.

I can't really remember that day, possibly hit 15C that day, the majority of March was around 9-13C. Maybe the odd 14 and 15C.
    hawkwing wrote: »
    Glorious in the Phoenix Park,clear blue skies and already 14c at 1100.Lawnmowers starting up in the area.:cool:
    MJohnston wrote: »
    Absolutely stunning day in Dublin. Currently watching the world go by on the canal at Charlemont and it might be purely down to differences in temp from last week, but it feels like a wonderful summery day. The light breeze has a nice cool to it, but the sunshine is toasty.
    was another stunning day today, people in shorts and tshirts earlier. Gone all cloudy now, after a fairly decent 4 days, it's back to normal service from tomorrow unfortunately.

The day had a notably pleasant morning in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Is there any particular reason why MT's forecasts have quite big differences in temperature compared to Met Eireann?

He has 16-18 C tomorrow whereas Met Eireann have 12-15! Furthermore MT is calling average highs of 17-18 C Tue - Fri, Met Eireann are forecasting 11 or 12 at best...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason why MT's forecasts have quite big differences in temperature compared to Met Eireann?

He has 16-18 C tomorrow whereas Met Eireann have 12-15! Furthermore MT is calling average highs of 17-18 C Tue - Fri, Met Eireann are forecasting 11 or 12 at best...
    Not trying to be funny,but probably neither have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And you're saying this from your experienced background in meteorology, and examining the recent trends of both ME and MT being fairly accurate?

I've no problem with you contributing, but when the only reason you visit here is to make contraversial statements that you wish to cause conflict with its just useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

JCX BXC wrote: »
    And you're saying this from your experienced background in meteorology, and examining the recent trends of both ME and MT being fairly accurate?

I've no problem with you contributing, but when the only reason you visit here is to make contraversial statements that you wish to cause conflict with its just useless.

Thanks for having no problem with me posting here,i appreciate that.i really dont know what is contraversial about my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

What's you basis on thinking that neither have a clue? I'm assuming you have good reasoning or you wouldn't have publicly posted your thoughts.
    Bullet points would be perfect to keep it short and concise.

Advertisement