Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer Con March 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Oh i agree completely but when he was taking heat he passed it off everywhere and now due to Social Media he has backed off. I think the mods in the gaming forums could come up with something better for next year :P

Is this a challenge for them? Cause they're going to have to accept that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was only thinking, between the lot of us, we could organise something better. There's a wealth of experience here from members who have been involved in the organisation and running of LAN events and smaller (maybe even bigger) conventions. If we could get DeVore on-board to get boards to sponsor it, we could actually do something decent. Member on here could be paid to work the day as staff (in boards.ie garb with their usernames on the back if wanted), the usual PS and MS booths, and whatever else people can gather, smaller booths from individual or small group developers showing off their warez, the possibilities are there! I've even thought of a name for it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I've even thought of a name for it!

Boardscon? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I was only thinking, between the lot of us, we could organise something better. There's a wealth of experience here from members who have been involved in the organisation and running of LAN events and smaller (maybe even bigger) conventions. If we could get DeVore on-board to get boards to sponsor it, we could actually do something decent. Member on here could be paid to work the day as staff (in boards.ie garb with their usernames on the back if wanted), the usual PS and MS booths, and whatever else people can gather, smaller booths from individual or small group developers showing off their warez, the possibilities are there! I've even thought of a name for it!

Pokemon tournaments are always fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nope, but that's a good 'un!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the PC section could be Mother-Boards, actually that should be the name for the PC Building and Upgrading forum :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I guarantee you he didn't write that apology, he had a PR company do it. That man is incapable of writing that sort of a statement, his ego is way too big and he does not give a fig.

Edit:
    Boards started as a site for the computer gaming community of Ireland, there have been dozens and dozens of great "amateur" computer gaming events organised here over the years. The interest simply fell off a cliff 8 or 9 years ago when the only people who wanted a LAN party (mostly CS at the time) couldn't understand why we didn't have a €10k prize pool and so wouldn't bother their holes to show up.

Nowadays, there is no LAN support for games anymore (barring a few odd exceptions). But I'll tell you what, if someone wants to put something on, I'll be happy to wade in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I've even thought of a name for it!

Complete Con?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think the mods in the gaming forums could come up with something better for next year :P

No bother, but I'd advise putting your name down early for the five hour seminar on 'Defeating Video Game Consumerism: A Post-Marxist perspective' - there'll be free tea and biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

No bother, but I'd advise putting your name down early for the five hour seminar on 'Defeating Video Game Consumerism: A Post-Marxist perspective' - there'll be free tea and biscuits.

man-sitting-amongst-rows-of-blue-seats-in-stadium-picture-id200332232-001?s=170667a

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Can't wait for Robert Ninja's 'Gamergate's Not Dead You Know!' presentation…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

man-sitting-amongst-rows-of-blue-seats-in-stadium-picture-id200332232-001?s=170667a

Pfft, they'll be there - no one can resist the sweet, sweet pull of custard creams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Pfft, they'll be there - no one can resist the sweet, sweet pull of custard creams.

I hate custard creams. Give me a nice chocolate digestive though, I'll listen to whatever you're saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

how many extra hours in the ball pit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I would absolutely make myself available to help with this. Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭George White

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I would absolutely make myself available to help with this. Absolutely.

I would too. I know people in the games journalism world, too.
    And I know some possible guests, the likes of Charles "Broken Sword" Cecil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I would too. I know people in the games journalism world, too.
    And I know some possible guests, the likes of Charles "Broken Sword" Cecil.

I could get a couple of streamers i know to do some stuff.

One of the lads who was with me, he used to work in designing games etc, some of the lads he used to work with went on to do some other stuff after, i had the idea of getting them to do short talks ala Ted Talks kinda stuff.

And i reckon i'm not the only one on boards who knows folks who could do some cool stuff, and that is why i do believe if everyone came together, it would fly.

(plus i have like 5 original xbox's for Halo LAN :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

just received via email regarding my refund
    Hi,

Thank you for your email and apologies for the delay in responding and for any distress caused related to your refund claim.

To process any refund claims we have created the following process:

To ensure that we have an auditable refund process that both we (as the Seller) and you (as the Buyer) can refer to for progress of any refund claim we are reviewing all refund requests via EventBrite or Paypal (Depending on how you purchased).

Apologies if you have emailed us or completed a contact us form, but we cannot submit the claim for you via Eventbrite or Paypal, this must be initiated by you.

For their respective refund process please refer back to the email you received when you first purchased the ticket and you will see links to either EventBrite or Paypal. (Note: if you purchased via GameStop please use the EventBrite refund process as your GameStop codes will have been redeemed via EventBrite).

Please note that EVERY CLAIM MUST STATE THE ORDER NUMBER associated with the purchase of your GamerCon ticket and must be submitted within 14 days of the event date. Refunds requested after this date will not be considered.

In addition, we cannot accept refund requests via social media, or email as tracking these claims is unmanageable and unauditable. Please do not submit your claim via these channels.

Following this process above will result in your refund claim being processed more efficiently.

PLEASE NOTE THIS EMAIL IS FOR OUTBOUND INFORMATIONAL EMAIL ONLY. DO NOT RESPOND.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Depends, can anyone go or can I limit the number of trolls that get an invite?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I got that email also and applied via Eventbrite.

I clicked "Event not as advertised" but am sure it'll just go through with ease. Bones crossed!

Hopefully this doesn't put off any more conventions going ahead or discourages the general public from taking their children to future ones that can be ran smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Zwillinge wrote: »
    I got that email also and applied via Eventbrite.

I clicked "Event not as advertised" but am sure it'll just go through with ease. Bones crossed!

Hopefully this doesn't put off any more conventions going ahead or discourages the general public from taking their children to future ones that can be ran smoothly.

I tried to write a note on the request but i was only able to add 3 or 4 lines to explain why I choose "Event not as advertised" so couldnt really explain much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I tried to write a note on the request but i was only able to add 3 or 4 lines to explain why I choose "Event not as advertised" so couldnt really explain much.

I just wrote down, "Requesting a refund, as promised by organiser"

I assumed they didn't need a personal account of what made national news.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Shiminay wrote: »
    Nowadays, there is no LAN support for games anymore (barring a few odd exceptions). But I'll tell you what, if someone wants to put something on, I'll be happy to wade in.

The last dedicated big LAN I remember was Midlans. Before that was Gamecon in the Spa Hotel. These were obviously small compared to insomnia series etc in the UK. GameCon was IIRC <150 attendees. Midlans had capacity for about 400.

BYOPC so there was a lot of games played. Console gaming was starting to establish its presence at LAN and that added an extra element. But as you rightly said - CS:S dominated the scene and slowly every other game lost attention (and prize pool) to bump up the CS money on offer, because "it draws the most players and teams from abroad". The focus seemed to have shifted away from having an all-rounder successful LAN, to having a CS:S tournament with some other games on for people who didn't want to play CS or got knocked out early. This obviously pissed off everyone else and everyone stopped going. CS players because the prize money "wasn't enough" - Non CS players because it was now a CS event, essentially.

The most fun LANs for me were the ones where there was actual competitions in multiple games (each with their own modest prize pool), to the point where people were forming random teams on the day. Lack of internet connection. There was no stage for finals. There wasn't even defined prizes - it was a heap of sponsored goodies on a table and you hoped you were lucky enough to get to pick first). It didn't matter if you were a CS or CoD player or not, you still got a chance at having a go.

The scene has changed a lot since then and there's obviously opportunities to host something on a much larger and more professional scale now. I'd love to see a decent LAN in the country though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

+1 on bringing lans back. was there a lan forum on boards at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I could get a couple of streamers i know to do some stuff.

One of the lads who was with me, he used to work in designing games etc, some of the lads he used to work with went on to do some other stuff after, i had the idea of getting them to do short talks ala Ted Talks kinda stuff.

And i reckon i'm not the only one on boards who knows folks who could do some cool stuff, and that is why i do believe if everyone came together, it would fly.

(plus i have like 5 original xbox's for Halo LAN :D)

I also have an original xbox, still in great working order

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ienduredQcon

I have made a complaint to the avertizing standards commission aparently te first all they got, and the consumer rights place I rang told me despite what anyone says like "no refunds" that you still have statutory rights and the three I wrote down are. Due care and attention, skills to provide a service, mere rials for for purpose. On all three counts he would in spirit be violating those rights, but he may have a good lawer I assume. And as far as fobbing himself off as gamercon ... And the false advertizing... He definitely needs as many complaints coming his way so he never does this to the public again. If anyone can share that info please do make a complaint to advertising standards and don't be put off by the no refunds crap, your statutory rights are still there.

I know a few people who could do panels e.g. Diamanda Hagan - https://diamandahagan.wordpress.com/category/panel-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yer man obviously didn't go to similar events to work out what to do.

Or maybe he doesn't know anything about gaming ?

ebbsy wrote: »
    Yer man obviously didn't go to similar events to work out what to do.

Or maybe he doesn't know anything about gaming ?

He claimed to have been to a few US expos, but yes, he doesn't seem the type to sit down and play for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

He claimed to have been to a few US expos, but yes, he doesn't seem the type to sit down and play for a while.

If all you do is watch people play, then you'll never experience the things that happen on a regular basis, like updating software, needing a network cable instead of using WiFi, etc. No wonder it all went down in flames.

Advertisement