Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer Con March 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Aaaaand Kaizokucon is sold out...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kerry Con was really good at the weekend. Maybe we could have a Con thread in this forum as even though most cons are aimed at a specific genre, they nearly always have games and tourney's so would worth be posting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Aaaaand Kaizokucon is sold out...

No it isn't, presales are closed and have been since the start of March. Tickets will be available on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jerry777

Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody has any advice regarding the refund from Eventbrite/Gamercon? I'm now over 2 wks waiting on my €85 refund for my family ticket I purchased for the Saturday & wasn't able to gain access as the doors were locked. If I go into my Eventbrite a/c it just says Refund Request Pending. I'm loosing patience at this stage as they said I should hear back within 7 days. Should I just now try to request a chargeback instead to my credit card? I'm not too sure what way that works exactly. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 vrt12

Jerry777 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody has any advice regarding the refund from Eventbrite/Gamercon? I'm now over 2 wks waiting on my €85 refund for my family ticket I purchased for the Saturday & wasn't able to gain access as the doors were locked. If I go into my Eventbrite a/c it just says Refund Request Pending. I'm loosing patience at this stage as they said I should hear back within 7 days. Should I just now try to request a chargeback instead to my credit card? I'm not too sure what way that works exactly. Cheers.

I would do a charge back. It takes 60 days and you need proof that you tried to resolve the issue yourself directly.

They said it would take a week. A week and more has passed, I would take that to mean no refund. They are not going to contact everyone with a response, only those who are getting refunds.

By the looks of it they have refunded the first X amount of people and are hoping the rest just go away.

I got in myself, but I feel completely ripped off. I'm not sure what my rights are regarding a charge back. Probably none. Anyone who gained access, have you received a refund or done a charge back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Jerry777

Thanks for that vrt12.

I will wait until this Friday and if I haven't heard back from them by then I will be definitely doing a chargeback. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

I heard back from eventbrite and my refund was refused see below

Hello,

I'm writing regarding your refund request for GamerCon Dublin, which occurred on 18th &19th of March 2017. We appreciate your patience while we reviewed your request.

Eventbrite is a self-service platform that empowers event organizers to create and sell tickets for their events. We have communicated your request for a refund to the event organizer and they have denied it due to a portion or all of the order(s) being checked into the event. Per our Terms of Service, event organizers manage their own refunds and set their own refund policies, and as such, we are unable to issue you a refund on their behalf.

We sincerely apologize for your poor experience with this event. At this time, we ask that you address any further questions or feedback regarding your refund request directly to the event organizer, as we are unable to offer additional assistance on our end. You can reach the event organizer by replying to your original order confirmation.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
    Eventbrite Trust and Safety

Eventbrite Terms of Service
    Eventbrite Community Guidelines

Scumbags I knew by partly using the family ticket I was taking a chance, but my son had his heart set on it! A dear day for the 2 of us for a total rubbish event.. but least he had fun.. (by chance meeting a you tuber in the audience which made his day)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Eventbrite refunded those that didn't attend, out of their own pocket.

http://entertainment.ie/gaming/Eventbrite-refunding-tickets-as-GamerCon-Dublin-is-in-financial-difficulty/392307.htm

GamerCon experiencing financial difficulty... I'd love to see the numbers on all this. How do you sell 24,000 tickets and vendor space at the event - but still run out of money before you can refund people?

2017 - the year of the great Gamercon smash n grab

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Probably did a runner with the proceeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Has there been any further comment from the organiser or has he stayed in hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Glebee

Have not seen anything more about it. It's all forgotten about at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I got that email from eventbrite notifying me that they would refund me out of their own pocket as the "organiser" had hit financial difficulty. Fair play to them and a note to self to avoid with extreme prejudice anything to do with that organiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 vrt12

benny79 wrote: »
    I heard back from eventbrite and my refund was refused see below

Hello,

I'm writing regarding your refund request for GamerCon Dublin, which occurred on 18th &19th of March 2017. We appreciate your patience while we reviewed your request.

Eventbrite is a self-service platform that empowers event organizers to create and sell tickets for their events. We have communicated your request for a refund to the event organizer and they have denied it due to a portion or all of the order(s) being checked into the event. Per our Terms of Service, event organizers manage their own refunds and set their own refund policies, and as such, we are unable to issue you a refund on their behalf.

We sincerely apologize for your poor experience with this event. At this time, we ask that you address any further questions or feedback regarding your refund request directly to the event organizer, as we are unable to offer additional assistance on our end. You can reach the event organizer by replying to your original order confirmation.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
    Eventbrite Trust and Safety

Eventbrite Terms of Service
    Eventbrite Community Guidelines

Scumbags I knew by partly using the family ticket I was taking a chance, but my son had his heart set on it! A dear day for the 2 of us for a total rubbish event.. but least he had fun.. (by chance meeting a you tuber in the audience which made his day)
    I got offered a partial refund from Eventbrite based on my complaint that the event was not as advertised and I felt completely ripped off.

Curious, did you pay by credit card? I wonder are they giving me a partial refund because I paid by visa and they know I can do a chargeback and they would lose it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

vrt12 wrote: »
    I got offered a partial refund from Eventbrite based on my complaint that the event was not as advertised and I felt completely ripped off.

Curious, did you pay by credit card? I wonder are they giving me a partial refund because I paid by visa and they know I can do a chargeback and they would lose it all?

I Paid by visa debit! can I do a charge back? Its probably to late now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Ferdi Roberts‏ @ferdi_roberts 15h15 hours ago
    More
    If there were Olympic medals for 'Faux outrage' , 'lazy journalism' and 'armchair criticism' Ireland would sweep the board for Golds.

This has me pissed. Greed got in the way and messed up the event. I don't have twitter to chastise him!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

FIRMS INVOLVED IN the flawed inaugural edition of gaming showcase GamerCon have been asked to wait six months for payment as the company behind the conference tries to deal with its financial woes.
    Scores of people couldn’t access the inaugural GamerCon event in Dublin last month, with many left queuing in the wind and rain for hours on opening day.
    As a result, the company was forced to offer refunds to 3,000 individuals – which founder Ferdi Roberts now claims cost the company €100,000.
    In an email sent to suppliers and seen by Fora, Roberts said weeks of refund payments and “personal financial contributions” had “depleted all cash reserves that the company had”.
    “The net impact of this is that we do not have funds to pay outstanding invoices at present and I don’t expect this situation to improve in the coming six-month period,” he said in the message, which was sent earlier this month.

http://www.thejournal.ie/gamercon-refunds-4-3365080-Apr2017/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just having a very frank exchange with this numpty on Twitter. The delusion is off the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It literally boggles the mind how he still thinks it's everyone else's fault.

Five minutes, if he'd spent five f?cking minutes chatting with any convention organiser in Ireland, current or past, he'd have gotten all the information he'd needed about the passionate fans, how long they stay in the events, what they take in, what they like/don't like, what they're used to having from our "amateur" events before.

Or maybe even he could have reached out to DCC and asked them what their ticket sales cap is, because there's no way you'd fit more than 6k in the CCD with all the exhibits, let alone 10.5k...

After a lot of over and back where I repeatedly called him on his nonsense, he kept calling other Irish events amatuer and implied they were bad because of this, I pointed out that I've been running small, but successful events here for nearly 20 years. Suffice it to say, as more and more people joined in, he started blocking us all and has now set his twitter account to private.

I reiterate my earlier statements that I hope he never knows another day's success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Sounds like he has being getting therapy and paying someone to tell him that he is fantastic. Then he stuck his head above the parapet and was quickly reminded that no, he is not fantastic, he is in fact, a c?nt. Back to the therapist so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Shiminay wrote: »
    Just having a very frank exchange with this numpty on Twitter. The delusion is off the charts.

Regarding Twitter, is it actually him or a troll?

From the journal article.

Roberts wrote that he has been approached by potential investors and has begun “discussions with them regarding the GamerCon brand and event format, as there is clearly a market opportunity for this type of event”.

I wouldn't buy this brand for €1.

I can tell you the brand isn't just worthless, it would actually cost a lot of money to market the fact that the brand isn't associated with Roberts anymore and they'd need to spend serious coin on trying to convince people that the brand is reformed. I have no doubts that this is a BS story designed to buy time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It'll take someone with a reputation for good practice to run one, with a popular example already in the market, say like the MCM Comic Con people.
    Drive a little distance between that exploitative halfwit and a company that understands that making money and running an honest and value event aren't mutually exclusive things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Has anyone ever been to a different gaming convention? I agree Gamercon was very badly organised, but I also came away feeling an event like this is pointless and very little to offer gaming fans, even if it were to be properly organised. I'd be interested in hearing how it compares to other events maybe in the states for example with regards to content rather than how it was run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

qrx wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been to a different gaming convention? I agree Gamercon was very badly organised, but I also came away feeling an event like this is pointless and very little to offer gaming fans, even if it were to be properly organised. I'd be interested in hearing how it compares to other events maybe in the states for example with regards to content rather than how it was run.

Yes there's quite a few around Dublin alone. Eirtakon is always a good time I find.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Without meaning to sound smart, it depends what you want :D

Some people want competitive gaming, some people want to cosplay, some people want to meet a gaming youtuber, some people want to play a game early or meet some developers or voice actors.

An event run in Ireland is simply never going to beat the content of SDCC or PAX, but that doesn't mean we can't strive to hit some home runs in getting early games (my own organisation has begun doing this, bringing Street Fighter V and Tekken 7 to Ireland early and running events in them).

It's also a kind of catch 22 where the more people attend, the more sway an organiser will have with the developers to bring their whole show. It's quite interesting, really. People come when you have stuff for them in general though... chicken and egg :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Shiminay wrote: »
    After a lot of over and back where I repeatedly called him on his nonsense, he kept calling other Irish events amatuer and implied they were bad because of this, I pointed out that I've been running small, but successful events here for nearly 20 years. Suffice it to say, as more and more people joined in, he started blocking us all and has now set his twitter account to private.

I reiterate my earlier statements that I hope he never knows another day's success.

I was also blocked and all I did was try to explain that you can't go around slagging other people's events when yours was a disaster.

I've been constantly dealing with people asking if Gamercon was my gig. He's genuinely hurt my reputation and he's still talking crap about us.

Only think I can do is make sure our events are quality, really.

You should seriously consider bring a legal civil case against him. You've got far more legitimate grounds than half the shyte we were threatened with when I was working here in Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd implore anyone with a genuine case against this idiot to bring it. If i'd the money i'd finance the cases myself. He still has an opinion that he done little to nothing wrong. He still hasn't realised that his greed dictated the event, and his lack of any understanding of why gamers are gamers lead to the most amateur and badly organised event i've ever been to (not just in the gaming world, in general!). @Doctor DooM, i'd echo Shiminay in that if you have a case, take it against him. You will have the backing, he won't. If he's legitimately negatively affecting your company/event, i'd at the very least send a solicitors letter threatening further action if he doesn't desist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Never been to one in the us but did attend arcadecon here, which also had many deep organizational flaws and will never recover from what happened in its final year, ime there just isn't enough substance to fill a whole con. At least not in Ireland. DCC have gaming too, I'd suggest attending that instead, although again imo there is also organizational flaws with DCC.

Advertisement