Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer Con March 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

CatInABox wrote: »
    If all you do is watch people play, then you'll never experience the things that happen on a regular basis, like updating software, needing a network cable instead of using WiFi, etc. No wonder it all went down in flames.

Apparently a huge reason the LAN side of things went so badly was they refused to buy a bulk amount of network cables, and instead the admins spent most of their time Thursday (their only setup time in the venue) making Cat cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

He claimed to have been to a few US expos, but yes, he doesn't seem the type to sit down and play for a while.
    CatInABox wrote: »
    If all you do is watch people play, then you'll never experience the things that happen on a regular basis, like updating software, needing a network cable instead of using WiFi, etc. No wonder it all went down in flames.

From today's Journal Article
    ‘Inspiration’
    As well as heading up GamerCon, Roberts is chief operating officer at Sysnet, a cybersecurity firm that makes software for financial services providers.
    Two years ago, he sold his cloud marketplace startup SaaS Markets to Sysnet and has previously held senior positions at Yahoo and Cisco.
    Last year, Roberts said his decision to set up GamerCon was inspired by this time in Silicon Valley.
    “My apartment was right next to the San Jose Convention Centre,” he said at the time. “I was exposed to large-scale conventions with 50,000 to 60,000 attendees in and around San Jose and San Francisco. They served predominantly as my inspiration.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

^^
    “My apartment was right next to the San Jose Convention Centre,” he said at the time. “I was exposed to large-scale conventions with 50,000 to 60,000 attendees in and around San Jose and San Francisco. They served predominantly as my inspiration.”

Or to translate, "Wow, these events sure do rake in a lot of money. I wonder how I could get a piece of that pie..."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The man was offered help for free and not only turned it down but insulted the people that offered it. So **** him basically. It's all on his head.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

From today's Journal Article

What a grade A Muppet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Vojera wrote: »
    Or to translate, "Wow, these events sure do rake in a lot of money. I wonder how I could get a piece of that pie..."

Its not even veiled, look at the article the Independent ran a few weeks back.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/games/now-pay-for-play-can-make-millionaires-out-of-gamers-35513815.html

All it seems to focus on is eSports and the millions flooding around the DOTA Invitationals and such.
    I expect the expo-type events to continue to be popular but I would be very surprised if the esports side of the business doesn't eclipse that within two to three years. The growth is huge.

Which is kinda shocking considering how shoddily thrown together the main tournaments were:
    -SFV needing updates
    -the whole CSGO fiasco
    -Rocket League needing your own Steam account (I wouldnt log into a random PC at an event, god knows what keyloggers could be installed...plus Steam Guard would be blocking most)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

Did anybody get a refund Yet? I went through eventbite but I had a family ticket but only me and my eldest used it on the sunday after the disaster of Sat I wasnt bringing the missus and the little one so just looking for half a refund which I explained got a email saying the be in touch but that was last Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

benny79 wrote: »
    Did anybody get a refund Yet? I went through eventbite but I had a family ticket but only me and my eldest used it on the sunday after the disaster of Sat I wasnt bringing the missus and the little one so just looking for half a refund which I explained got a email saying the be in touch but that was last Monday!

Nothing yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 vrt12

I think the refunds are going to be handled even worse than the event. I'm taking no reply means no refund, I don't think they are organised enough to respond to everyone.

I'm giving them until weds before I put in a charge back claim with my credit card company.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That assumes there's even any money left for the refunds after costs have been paid...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

From what I read on this today they have only given people partial refunds. That seems to be for people who didn't get in as opposed to people who got in and didn't get to enjoy it. I definitely wouldn't accept that if I was those people and follow this up in SCC if that was possible.

Edit to add that anyone who booked this using their card should definitely avail of the charge back option. It may be the only way you will get what is due IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

From what I read on this today they have only given people partial refunds. That seems to be for people who didn't get in as opposed to people who got in and didn't get to enjoy it. I definitely wouldn't accept that if I was those people and follow this up in SCC if that was possible.

Edit to add that anyone who booked this using their card should definitely avail of the charge back option. It may be the only way you will get what is due IMO.

From what I heard, the partial refunds are the cost of the ticket minus the booking fee, which goes to eventbrite. That seems fair enough to me to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Benzino wrote: »
    From what I heard, the partial refunds are the cost of the ticket minus the booking fee, which goes to eventbrite. That seems fair enough to me to be honest.

Yeah that is fine if that is the case. Wasn't eventbrites fault the day was muck. The amounts being quoted today seemed more than a booking fee though (think somebody got €67 refunded after paying €87+ for the tickets). Seems a lot for a booking fee. This is just an account I read online so figures could be bull.

Yeah that is fine if that is the case. Wasn't eventbrites fault the day was muck. The amounts being quoted today seemed more than a booking fee though (think somebody got €67 refunded after paying €87+ for the tickets). Seems a lot for a booking fee. This is just an account I read online so figures could be bull.

Yeah, that doesn't sound correct alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The man was offered help for free and not only turned it down but insulted the people that offered it. So **** him basically. It's all on his head.

Hey Retro, I've heard this a few times now, what happened here? Who offered help and what was his response?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't find anything concrete other than con organisers on Facebook saying their help was turned down and how he called previous conventions hobbyist and amateur in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can't find anything concrete other than con organisers on Facebook saying their help was turned down and how he called previous conventions hobbyist and amateur in interviews.

Oh Dear....

Just got an email from EventBrite saying my refund was accepted, got the full amount too include the booking fee.

The fact that there was no Switch shows how much of a shambles it would have been. Not showing the biggest release of the moment definitely is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The fact that there was no Switch shows how much of a shambles it would have been. Not showing the biggest release of the moment definitely is crazy.
    Thats because Ninty avoid these kind of shows, hell they don't even exhibit at E3 anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Thats because Ninty avoid these kind of shows, hell they don't even exhibit at E3 anymore.

Except they do, they just dont have big live conferences anymore. they had a huge area with dozens of demos stations to play Breath of the Wild at last years E3.

As for no Switch at Gamercon, depends how they get their systems for the event: if rented they probably weren't available yet as had been just 2 weeks since it launched, if they bought the systems (unlikely) then good chance they didnt pre-order or queue and couldnt get any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

There is also the possibility that the organiser didn't even know what a Nintendo Switch was.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Nintendo are already working with AsOne Productions for Celtic Throwdown, so maybe they're just not into working with unproven and amateur organisations :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

bajer101 wrote: »
    There is also the possibility that the organiser didn't even know what a Nintendo Switch was.

he knows what bait and switch is though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The winner of Street Fighter V received his €500 prize.

No idea if anyone other prize winners got theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The winner of Street Fighter V received his €500 prize.

No idea if anyone other prize winners got theirs.

First place CSGO went to the only team who didn't have a loss in the upper bracket. I believe the 2nd place for CS:GO was split between the two teams who were supposed to play for it but never got a chance to because they were booted out before playing.

Basing this from Reddit/Facebook, so no idea if they actually got the money on the day or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

got my refund for not attending sunday

dunworth1 wrote: »
    got my refund for not attending sunday

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sorry for taking this off-topic.

The incredible Maul Cosplay will be visiting Cork next week for Kaizoku Con.

It's a smaller event running in Cork but the people involved are a lot more dedicated, hopefully this shows even more that when a dedicated group get together they can make a really good Con for fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Sorry for taking this off-topic.

The incredible Maul Cosplay will be visiting Cork next week for Kaizoku Con.

It's a smaller event running in Cork but the people involved are a lot more dedicated, hopefully this shows even more that when a dedicated group get together they can make a really good Con for fans.

Yup Kaizokucon is always good craic, heading down for it myself. They also have J Michael Tatum, the voice actor for Sir Hammerlock in Borderlands, for the second time.

Advertisement