Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League of Ireland Betting 2017

Options
  • 16-02-2017 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen anything worthy of a bet in the outrights? Powers usually have the handicaps set tight and there doesn’t look to be a lot of mileage in anything that I’ve seen so far.

I think the relegation prices for Bohs and Galway are the wrong way around but not convinced I know enough (about Galway – I think Bohs will be fitter and just as competitive as last season) to have a decent bet on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I see the pinned thread is gone, I'll have my annual outright preview up by early next week (waiting on the handicaps which I'm told by a trader they will be done by early next week). Slim pickings this year in my opinion for outrights.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

I was actually looking at Galway to get relegated this year but odds of 7/5 is far far too short

Dundalk 6/5 to win the league looks decent though

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Joe Dixon

Any outright and top scorer doubles market that anyone has seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I was actually looking at Galway to get relegated this year but odds of 7/5 is far far too short

Dundalk 6/5 to win the league looks decent though

You know it's 3 going down right?
    Galway finished:
    2016 – 9th
    2015 – 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 32 richers86

If anyone fancies it, over on OLBG Ireland https://olbg.ie/ there are €200 in prizes in an Irish soccer tipping comp.

It's free to sign up & free to make tips. You've to make at least 10 tips per month which makes it a little more difficult this month given the league starts at the end of it but it's worth a go and good practice for next month. Also, there's only 8 users who've made tips so far so why not give it a go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I use that website quite a bit, with a little effort and discipline it's not hard to win cash

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Philly_C

Heard on the 98FM podcast the UCD manager saying none of the first team will play on Friday as they have the Collingwood Cup Tuesday to Thursday and he's only going to play the 19's players on Friday. Cabinteely were 3/1 this morning on PP. They've been cut into 15/8. Read into that what you will!

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

UCD lost the final 2-1 to UCC today, last minute winner in injury time.
    They've played 4 matches in 4 days and looks like a few of their 1st team players played.
    10/3 Cabo with Bet365, 14/5 Ladbrokes, 13/5 Boyles.
    Watch the prices change when the UCD team sheet is out!

League of Ireland Outright Bets

Myself and the 3 lads I pick the Irish Bets with in our Facebook group (Aidan, Alan and Graeme) have all discussed the below bets and opinions. Very slim pickings this season, value in Shamrock Rovers each way is gone, Dundalk too short for a team with a lot of new players while Cork could fall short again. The First Division on paper looks like Waterford Utd win easily, but won’t be near the Limerick style of last year. We’ve opted with some bigger value bets. We’ve been waiting PaddyPower to price up the handicap markets but none as of yet – we were ideally looking for Shamrock Rovers +10 or so.

Chiedozie Ogbene Premier Division Top Goalscorer @ 33/1 (Paddy Power) – SMALL (Each Way Top 4 1/4)
    Two big prices in this market as the favourite are all far too short for a bet. So we feel Ogbene is a great EW shout here. Last 3 year for a EW place 12,12 & 14 goals were needed. Ogbene played for Cork last season but was only 18 and didn't get a huge amount of game time, Cork really wanted to hold onto him this season but they were not prepared to pay him the 400 euro a week that he was demanding, this is why he moved to Lims as they matched his wage demand. Cork fans were not happy to see him go and I feel it's a big mistake to let him leave. He just played made 8 appearances for Cork with only 2 starts, but he still managed to score 3 goals in these appearances. He is a very highly rated winger. He has had a very solid Pre Season with Limerick scoring 4 goals and playing very well. Limerick also have new singing Tosi up top. He is also quite highly rated and scored 2 in preseason, but he is pushing on now at 34 and is more of a big target man up top, he has assisted a few of Ogbene goals in preseason & we can see him setting up players around him rather than scoring a lot of goals himself. Limerick are a very attacking team as we seen from last season and will score a lot of goals. Ogbene has a lot to prove this season and he will want to prove to Cork that it was a big mistake letting him go and not giving him the wage he felt he deserved.

Michael O’Connor Premier Division Top Goalscorer @ 50/1 (Paddy Power) – SMALL (Each Way Top 4 1/4)
    Rovers signed very highly rated striker Michael O Connor from Dundalk during the winter after his move to Bradford City fell through. Manager Bradley has bigged him up in pre season and handed him the number 9 shirt ahead of experienced striker Gary Shaw and U19 strikers Dobbs and Boyd. Rovers recent signing Graham Burke can also play up top but is expected to feature out wide for Rovers which means that O Connor will get his fair share of game time up top. We think Rovers will go on to have a great season and to get one of their main strikers at 50/1 top scorer looks to be a steal. He will be looking for a quick start to the season goal wise,scored 4 in 3 games for Dundalk last season and is a regular in Ireland U19 squads.

Martin Russell (Limerick) - Premier Division Sack Race @ 8/1 (Paddy Power) – Novelty Bet Stake
    “Applies to next manager to leave his position by any means whether it's by resigning or getting sacked”
    Limerick dominated the league of Ireland first division last season winning the league with a colossal amount of points (75) winning 24 or their 28 games any winning the league by 23 pts. So you would imagine that Limerick fans are very happy at the moment, but there is some murmurs that sections of support aren't happy with Russell, and the fact he signs and players his son (deemed not good enough but Limerick fans) couple that with the wave of expectation after winning so easy in last season and add the money pumped into the squad, a poor start may have the Limerick faithful on his back.
    Tough opening games for the promoted side including Sligo, Dundalk and Derry. While Limerick seem to have a good squad on paper, and the way they steam rolled the FD last season, the opposition will be nothing compared to what they'll face this season, and while playing some very poor opposition last season, Limerick showed defensive frailties in a lot of games, gifting goals to opposition (almost 1 goal a game)
    While Keith Long at Bohs is favourite to be sacked first, we can't have it at 5/2 so We fancy Russell at 8/1 value to possibly be the first to get the sack. Buckley at pats has a 2 year deal and is on the board, Shamrock Rovers sacked a manager last season and had issues over compensation payment so won't want to go down same route again, Sligo lost a lot of games last year in the opening round of fixtures and stuck with Robertson, and also gave Heary every chance when he was there so don't seem keen to sack. Cork, Dundalk, Bray and Derry seem to be happy with their managers. So for fun, we'll have Martin Russell.

***LEAGUE OF IRELAND BETS***
    First round of games in the new LoI season. Waterford have signed well and should win the 1st Divison easily, could be another Limerick (won't be as easy). Short write ups bar our medium bet! Myself, Aidan Morris Graeme O Rourke and Alan Forristal have discussed and are happy with the below 4 bets!

Athlone Town -v- Waterford Friday 7:45pm
    Two teams who have had the polar opposite of an off season. Waterford FC have been taken over by the Swindon Town chairman Lee Power, and he had been quick to put his money where his mouth is in terms of developing a side which should gain promotion to the premier division. Yesterday's deadline day proved to be highly successful for Waterford with 4 late signings, former ireland u21 goalkeeper Ian Mcgloghlin, 2 Swindon loanees Tom Smith and Jake Evans, and the most high profile transfer maybe in the entire LOI this off season, Kenny Browne. Browne should solidify the back line for Waterford and with an attacking options of McEvoy, McDaid, O Halloran, Puri, and O Sullivan, this Waterford team is sure to entertain and score plenty of goals.
    Contrast to Athlone Town who have gone through a odd off season. Rampant rumours of foreign investment and a early surge up the market in terms of betting has now mellowed out to show a squad of much unknown quality. Preseason results have been mix with a 4-1 and 6-0 losses to Bray and Bohs but a good 2-2 draw with Sligo may show signs of decency.
    On paper, Waterford should win this at a canter, however a squad will need time to gel, and the unknown entity of Athlone has cause for caution on this one, so our bet is for Waterford to win but maybe not the cricket score everyone expects.

Waterford -1.25 Asian Handicap (GENERAL) @ 1.90 - MEDIUM STAKE

Cabinteely -v- UCD Friday 7.45pm
    UCD played in the Collingwood Cup all this week, including today in the final. A lot of their League of Ireland team was used including their captain. UCD will be fielding a weakened team in this most likely so value is with Cabinteely with what's available. Collie O'Neill mentioned on the radio the other day they may end up fielding a lot of their U19 team in this game.
    Cabinteely signed well for this season, with a mix of experience and youth - should be stronger than last season.

Cabinteely +0.25, 0.0, -0.25 and -0.5 Asian Handicaps (GENERAL) - VALUE STAKES advised

Bohemians -v- Derry City Friday 7:45pm
    Expecting Bohs to struggle this season, while Derry will hope to put an even stronger challenge for top spot this season. Bohs have lost a few, while Derry have held onto the core of their team while adding a few.

Derry -0.25 (GENERAL) @ 2.00 - SMALL STAKE

Limerick -v- Sligo Rovers Friday 7:45pm
    Sligo have signed well this season, while Limerick have snapped up a couple of players including Ogbene from Cork. Sligo should get something away from home here in Market Fields

Sligo Double Chance (GENERAL) @ 2.00 - SMALL STAKE

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

UCD played in the Collingwood Cup all this week, including today in the final. A lot of their League of Ireland team was used including their captain. UCD will be fielding a weakened team in this most likely so value is with Cabinteely with what's available. Collie O'Neill mentioned on the radio the other day they may end up fielding a lot of their U19 team in this game.
    Cabinteely signed well for this season, with a mix of experience and youth - should be stronger than last season.

Cabinteely +0.25, 0.0, -0.25 and -0.5 Asian Handicaps (GENERAL) - VALUE STAKES advised

I, along with most of my mates & work colleagues were all over Cabinteely at 14/5, 13/5 and 9/4, they went off at 5/4 on Betfair :eek: and got beaten :mad:.
    No wonder bookies make so much money.
    Not a good result for Cabinteely if a UCD team that was missing a load of 1st team players beats them.

Good wins for Dundalk and Cork City.

Not a great start at all with just Derry winning in our bets. The only way is up I suppose... :D

First round of games in the new LoI season didn't go to plan with just one winner. Limiting ourselves to 2 Medium bets this week. Myself, Aidan, Graeme and Alan have discussed and are happy with the below!

Cork City -v- Galway Utd Friday 7.45pm

Cork had a good 1-0 away win against Finn Harps last week in horrible conditions. City will be hoping to extend an impressive unbeaten home league run against the visitors here which stretches back 23 years. Galway endured a frustrating start to the new season with 1-0 home defeat at the hands of Drogheda United last week.
    City are by far the stronger side and will look to press home that advantage infront of a big home crowd.

Cork City -1.5 Asian Handicap (GENERAL) @ 2.0 MEDIUM STAKE

Bray Wanderers -v- Finn Harps Friday 7.45pm
    Bray really pushed the boat out over the close season and on paper signed some excellent additions. The fear was they would take a few weeks to gel, but going by last Fridays win against St. Pats they're ready to cause a stir in the League. Supposedly the 2-1 win away to Pats was extremely modest and could have been upwards of at least 3-0 by half time. Finn Harps on the other hand are coming into this as favourites to finish last in the League, everyone has staked up the odds agianst them even their manager Ollie Horgan on the launch of the League saying he'll be happy to still be challenging against relegation coming into the last game of the season.
    Bray were without both Darragh Noone and Conor Earley for the opening night victory however both have recovered from their knocks. However John Sullivan didn’t train on Tuesday due to a hamstring strain and will be assessed closer to kick off.
    In team news for Finn Harps striker Danny Morrissey is out with a knee injury sustained in the Cork game while Horgan is very concerned about midfielder Jonny Bonner who is struggling with a back problem, while defender Cillian Cantwell (thigh) hasn’t trained this week.

Bray -1 Asian Handicaps (GENERAL) @ 1.85 MEDIUM STAKE

Other bets we considered:
    Drogheda/Pats Both Team To Score & Over 2.5 Goals
    Derry -0.25
    Wateford -1.5
    Shelbourne +0.25

Cork City -v- Galway Utd Friday 7.45pm

Cork City -1.5 Asian Handicap (GENERAL) @ 2.0 MEDIUM STAKE

Bray Wanderers -v- Finn Harps Friday 7.45pm

Bray -1 Asian Handicaps (GENERAL) @ 1.85 MEDIUM STAKE

Beetner_Bag-of-Cash.jpg

A good weekend last week, with 2 Medium bets advised with both winning! Two mediums and a small this weekend! Myself, Aidan, Graeme and Alan have discussed and are happy with the below!

UCD -v- Waterford Friday 7.45pm
    UCD have started well in the league with two wins in two games while Waterford got off the mark last week with a 3-0 win against Cabinteely after a shock defeat in game week 1 v Athlone. Both teams look strong in attack with 4-0 and 3-0 wins last week, and both teams will be all out to win in order to stay at the top of the table.
    A lot has been made of Waterfords squad this season and the big investment in the off season and with a vast array of attacking options Waterford should be good for a goal or two.
    On the other hand, Waterfords new squad are still trying to gel together and even though a 3-0 win last week, Cabinteely weren't without chances and found themselves very unlucky not to get on the scoresheet. UCD's attacking threat showed last week with 4 first half goals v Shelbourne, so they should be a big test for this new Waterford backline.

UCD/Waterford Both Teams To Score (GENERAL) @ 4/6 MEDIUM STAKE

Bohemians -v- Bray Wanderers Friday 7.45pm
    Two teams who have had the opposite of starts. Bray with 2 wins from 2 and Bohs win 2 loses out of 2. Lots of struggles for Bohs this season as they were already a relegation contender before the season started but now both of their forwards are injured for this match (Akinade & Corcoran) This will make it very hard to get anything against a free scoring Bray team.
    Bray have scored 7 goals in 2 games and looks dangerous in attack, but a slight bit vulnerable at the back conceding 3 their last game against Harps. We find it hard to see where goals will come from the Bohs attack here. So even if Bray were a bit shakey at the back in their last game Bohs should not trouble them too much at all. Bray have assembled a very good squad and aim to push for Europe this season. If they perform well they should have no problem beating this Bohs side.

Bray win (Paddy Power) @ EVENS SMALL STAKE

Cobh Ramblers -v- Shelbourne Saturday 4pm
    No much to say about this game, last Fridays performance against UCD was the worse performance I've seen in 14 years of going to Shelbourne matches to which manager Owen Heary described it as ‪"Absolutely disgraceful". In contrast, Cobh beat Longford (who were favourites for the League for a long time preseason) 3-1 away from home. Shelbourne only scrapped a 0-0 draw against Longford on the opening day of the season.

Cobh Draw No Bet (GENERAL) @ 8/11 MEDIUM STAKE

Waterford put 2 past UCD with no return
    Bray throw away a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2
    Cobh concede a goal last kick of the game to draw 1-1

An unlucky weekend to say the least...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Moscow is magnificent

Anyone that can still get 3/5 on Cork -1 tomorrow should fill their boots for a bit of a boost to the Cheltenham bankroll. We(rovers) are in awful shape and 2 of our starting back 4 from Friday are out injured, we have only 5 senior defenders and we are absolutely toothless in attack given that our bluffer of a manager decided to put his faith in two 18 year olds. It could be a massacre tomorrow night, we were blessed to hold on against one of the worst Pats teams I've seen in years on Friday. Gonna have a couple of first half correct score bets divding stakes between 2-0, 3-0 and 4-0 at 9/2, 14s and 50s aswell.

Odds were hammered on Cork, hopefully get -1.5 inplay early on. Waiting for that personally.

An unlucky weekend, with 1 Medium bet and 1 Smallbet losing with 1 Mediumrefund advised with both winning! Two small bets for this evening with a view to some inplay! No write ups. Myself, Aidan, Graeme and Alan have discussed and are happy with the below!

Bray -v- Drogheda Monday 7.45pm

Bray/Drogheda Both Teams To Score (GENERAL) @ EVENS SMALL STAKE

Limerick -v- Bohemians Monday 7.45pm

Over 2.5 Goals (Paddy Power) @ 4/5 SMALL STAKE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Odds were hammered on Cork, hopefully get -1.5 inplay early on. Waiting for that personally.

11/20 with Betfair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I am spreading a fair bit on City over 2.5 and 3.5. I will take them again after 15-20 if still scoreless. I think city are well capable of banging them in and the weather is really nice, unlike our last home game that needed a pitch inspection and we still scored 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Wow, lost a fair bit on Cork tonight. Wouldn't say I was the only one. Was expecting a big win there to give a nice Cheltenham fund :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Stevecw wrote: »
    Wow, lost a fair bit on Cork tonight. Wouldn't say I was the only one. Was expecting a big win there to give a nice Cheltenham fund :(

If we scored the third in injury time instead of rattling the bar I would have been happy enough. Over the course of the season, city will win me more than cost me but tonight they definitely cost me.

An unlucky weekend, with 1 Medium bet and 1 Smallbet losing with 1 Mediumrefund advised with both winning! Two small bets for this evening with a view to some inplay! No write ups. Myself, Aidan, Graeme and Alan have discussed and are happy with the below!

Bray -v- Drogheda Monday 7.45pm

Bray/Drogheda Both Teams To Score (GENERAL) @ EVENS SMALL STAKE

Limerick -v- Bohemians Monday 7.45pm

Over 2.5 Goals (Paddy Power) @ 4/5 SMALL STAKE

One win and one loss :o

I won't be about to post this week as I'm off to Cheltenham tomorrow, 3 bets will be posted in the Facebook group by one of the other lads which someone is more than welcome to c&p to here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Playing it very safe for Saturday.
    Dundalk to win - 1/3
    Derry to win 4/11
    Bray draw no bet - 4/7
    Limerick draw no bet - 1/7
    Odds: 3.27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

can somebody copy bet from facebook as i dont have account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

from gavins group i mean

Just checked, nothing posted yet.

Here it is

Dundalk v St Patricks
    Dundalk come into this game off a shock 3-1 defeat away at Derry. They will want to make things instantly right here and make sure to not give Cork a bigger lead than 3 points at the top of the table. Other than the Derry game Dundalk have been playing very well and still look to be a dominant force this season.
    St Pats on the other hand have got off to an awful start with a lot of fans already calling for Buckleys head. They have 3 loses & 1 draw in their first 4 games, none of them which have been against top teams ( 2 loses against teams favoured to get relegated). which is very worrying for Pats. They come into this Dundalk game desperately needing some sort of result to re-assure fans, but we feel with Dundalk on the back of a recent loss they will be fired up and should beats Pats by at least 2 goals. As much as Pats need to get a result they just have not been good enough against poor opposition and have been very poor defensively and Dundalk are too good of a team not to punish Pats.
    BET - Dundalk -1.25 MEDIUM STAKE @1,700
    *************************************************************************************
    Shelbourne v Waterford
    Waterford come into this game on the back of 2 wins in a row with 2 clean sheets, and 5 goals. The opening day blip in Athlone seems a distant memory now and the team are really beginning to gel together after a good 2 weeks, and will be looking to maintain their form and their position at the top of the table again this Friday as they visit Dublin again for a clash against a battling yet struggling Shelbourne team.
    As mentioned, Shelbourne are struggling in the opening series of fixtures with just 1 goal scored, a late equaliser against Cobh last weekend, and 5 conceded (a 4-0 loss to UCD) and the pre season form seems to have been reversed.
    Waterford's team news puts them possibly without 3 of their attacking options in O Sullivan, Puri and McDaid who are all carrying "knocks" however, last week v UCD 2 players were "out indefinitely" and both played 90 minutes, possibly mind games From the blues manager, but with a host of options to choose from on the bench, we still feel comfortable that Waterford will come away from Tolka with the 3pts, but will take note of squad fitness concerns
    BET: Waterford -0.75 AH : : SMALL STAKE @1,800
    *************************************************************************************
    Wexford v UCD
    Just keeping this one short and sweet. Wexford are an extremely poor team this season an currently sit bottom of the table. They lost 2-0 last week to a very poor Cabo & have also lost to Athlone & a draw against Shels. Very bad results against some of the worst teams in the first division
    UCD have started off with 2 wins & a loss. Their loss coming last week against Waterford, the best team in the league. UCD put it up to Waterford for a lot of the game here. UCD should beat Wexford here without much of a problem. This has been the weakest ever wexford team we've seen after they lost most of their team from last season
    BET Wexford Win - SMALL STAKE 10/11

The last one should read UCD win (evens on pp)

• Advertisement

Rovers v city
    Usually a low scoring game with both sides not scoring.

Seanie anytime 6/5
    Seanie first 4/1
    City to win 2-0 9/1

Small double win btts bohs and Bray, 19/1

Pp treble of city, bohs, Waterford 8/1

Accumulator for the weekend
    Derry,dundalk, Limerick, bohs, ucd at over 13/1 pp, less than 11/1 on 365

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement