Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I think Robbie Keane gets a hard time from a lot of Irish fans. The opposite of overrated really. When you look at our current striker options (and their goal-scoring records), Robbie is badly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

The International scene has gone downhill over the years. It's diluted with bad teams . All qualifier groups usually have a couple of rubbish countries in it. Keane used score a lot of goals against poor teams. And friendlies. And a lot of penalties. Scored a few big goals too but i never really bought into the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Overrated as a footballer yes. Good player but not a great player as Dunphy liked to say. Its not a big deal. We all see it differently.

again not really answering my question, you need to put it into some context. like if you stuck him into a over 40's sunday league team, would you still describe him as overrated? So is he overrated as a Republic Of Ireland player?

again not really answering my question, you need to put it into some context. like if you stuck him into a over 40's sunday league team, would you still describe him as overrated? So is he overrated as a Republic Of Ireland player?

Overrated as a footballer imo. Yes. How many times do you want me to say it? And you seem to be taking it very seriously. Lighten up a bit its only one mans opinion of a footballer. Its not a big deal.

Overrated as a footballer imo. Yes. How many times do you want me to say it? And you seem to be taking it very seriously. Lighten up a bit its only one mans opinion of a footballer. Its not a big deal.

sorry, I had to ask a few times just to be sure as it is possibly the stupidest sporting opinions I have ever heard or read.

ok folks here you have it, chalk mchugh of boards.ie expert analysis declares Robbie Keanes Republic of Ireland footballing performances and career as overrated with a record of being top goalscorer with a tally of 68 goals, followed by Quinns 21, only a slight differing margin of 47 goals.

any chance you would do a podcast? thoughts on maybe how messi has only one foot and ronaldo can't head the ball?

Robbie Keane
    68 14 Oct 1998 31 Aug 2016
    Niall Quinn
    21 10 Nov 1987 06 Oct 2001
    Frank Stapleton
    20 13 Oct 1976 02 Jun 1990
    John Aldridge
    19 19 Oct 1988 11 Oct 1995
    Tony Cascarino
    19 22 May 1988 11 Oct 1997

• Advertisement

sorry, I had to ask a few times just to be sure as it is possibly the stupidest sporting opinions I have ever heard or read.

ok folks here you have it, chalk mchugh of boards.ie expert analysis declares Robbie Keanes Republic of Ireland footballing performances and career as overrated with a record of being top goalscorer with a tally of 68 goals, followed by Quinns 21, only a slight differing margin of 47 goals.

any chance you would do a podcast? thoughts on maybe how messi has only one foot and ronaldo can't head the ball?

Robbie Keane
    68 14 Oct 1998 31 Aug 2016
    Niall Quinn
    21 10 Nov 1987 06 Oct 2001
    Frank Stapleton
    20 13 Oct 1976 02 Jun 1990
    John Aldridge
    19 19 Oct 1988 11 Oct 1995
    Tony Cascarino
    19 22 May 1988 11 Oct 1997

Oh, your a feisty one. Stats are like the mini skirt. They show a lot but hide the crucial parts. Will you be my first boards.ie guest if i do a podcast? You can be the Stats Man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He should be in any Irish All Time XI based purely on the fact that he's scored over 3x more goals than any other player in Irish history. He's up among the top international scorers in Europe too. It's not like we have such a rich history that there's a load of other great strikers he's competing against. First name on the team sheet imo.

I didn't hear the lads greatest Irish team but for me i'd have Quinn and Keano up front. Keano working off Quinn's physicality and brilliance in the air. Dunphy saying Kevin Doyle was better than Keane is laughable but its just one mans opinion i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I had to laugh at one line by Dunphy in today's podcast about the UK. Talking about immunologist Neil Ferguson getting fired for being involved in an affair with a married woman during the lockdown, Dunphy said it's the kind of territory that he doesn't like getting in to peoples private lives.

Just reminded me of his Rod Liddle comment from years back.

I didn't hear the lads greatest Irish team but for me i'd have Quinn and Keano up front. Keano working off Quinn's physicality and brilliance in the air. Dunphy saying Kevin Doyle was better than Keane is laughable but its just one mans opinion i guess.

Dunphy has an unhealthy affection/obsession with the homegrown lads that went on to 'make it' somewhat in any way in the bigger leagues in the UK.

• Advertisement

I had to laugh at one line by Dunphy in today's podcast about the UK. Talking about immunologist Neil Ferguson getting fired for being involved in an affair with a married woman during the lockdown, Dunphy said it's the kind of territory that he doesn't like getting in to peoples private lives.

Just reminded me of his Rod Liddle comment from years back.

Just had a look at that. I cannot understand how the plug wasn't pulled on him for that, pure incoherent rage.

https://www.balls.ie/football/eamon-dunphy-rod-liddle-393581

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Unfortunately for Robbie Keane, he spent a lot of his international career playing under defensive systems and surrounded by players who weren't at his level. It doesn't really matter how good a striker is, if they're not getting the service, their effectiveness becomes greatly diminished. Back in the days under McCarthy, when Ireland had a midfield and a bit of confidence, Robbie was always a threat in games. Under Trap, he spent most of his time completely isolated up the pitch, trying to hold up long balls. It was really in this period that the 'overrated' thing came into prominence. But even at that, he was *still* the man most likely to grab a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Enjoyed the Jack Charlton Podcast today. We're a funny country really when you consider the amount of fallouts and disputes that have gone on between various managers, players and even the media. I wonder how good we could actually be if we were self sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Oh, your a feisty one. Stats are like the mini skirt. They show a lot but hide the crucial parts. Will you be my first boards.ie guest if i do a podcast? You can be the Stats Man. :)

The one stat that doesn't lie or hid anything is his goal-scoring one. He also scored in important games against Germany, Spain, France and Italy.

He has that many more goals than anyone else, it's absurd to argue that he shouldn't be in our best eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Very good podcast with Tomas Ryan today. Mad the only sense about this issue I seem to be hearing is all coming from Dunphy's podcast at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Still Ill wrote: »
    He should be in any Irish All Time XI based purely on the fact that he's scored over 3x more goals than any other player in Irish history. He's up among the top international scorers in Europe too. It's not like we have such a rich history that there's a load of other great strikers he's competing against. First name on the team sheet imo.

agree. Him and Best would be my forwards selection for an all Ireland team.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Very good podcast with Tomas Ryan today. Mad the only sense about this issue I seem to be hearing is all coming from Dunphy's podcast at the moment.

Just after listening to it. Found it very depressing. After reading all the optimism on various threads here and other places this lad had very little positivity in anything he had to say. A hard listen. He could be right all the same. Time will tell.

Just after listening to it. Found it very depressing. After reading all the optimism on various threads here and other places this lad had very little positivity in anything he had to say. A hard listen. He could be right all the same. Time will tell.

There's a happy medium to be found somewhere but I think some of the positivity going around is blind to say the least. Very good point made on the podcast that journalists have a large role to play going forward. Some of the happy clappy positive news stories are unrealistic and completely misleading to people in terms of the actual reality of the situation.

To be fair to Tomas Ryan he didn't lay into anyone even though you could sense his frustration with how we've handled crucial stages of the virus.

That’s what he’s been peddling on nearly every podcast for weeks though. Turned into a complete doom merchant as he’s realised it sells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Recent episodes:

Trump is a bad man - with Niall Stanage
    Ireland's economy is f**ked - with random economist
    Team X's Best 11 - with Giles and Brady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I’ve seen him around a few places recently and he’s definitely on the far negative side of the spectrum of all the “experts” going around at the moment. And there are many.

He might be right in the end. He might be wrong. He might be half right or half wrong. Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

Recent episodes:

I think Niall Stanage goes way softer on trump than he could in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

scoobydude wrote: »
    I think Niall Stanage goes way softer on trump than he could in fairness

Yes he certainly isn't the most hysterical of them. I think Dunphy makes the titles before the podcast and any title with 'Trump' in it has some negative assertion. It's like he's writing headlines for a tabloid interview and then putting words in the interviewee's mouth.

The thing that annoys me more than anything about how things are reported over here is that all we're being compared to by the likes of RTE is the UK and US, who both couldn't have made more of a balls of it. Then the Irish public seem to think we're doing a great job in comparison, which we are, but its all relative. Compared to the majority of other countries we're slacking big time but that's not being reported on and a lot of people seem oblivious to that fact.

It's refreshing that the Dunphy podcast highlights how things are being done in South Korea, NZ etc. Places that really should be getting far more media coverage on how to do things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Acosta

Loved the Liam Brady podcast on his time in Italy as I'd never really heard him talk about it at length before

Dunphy disagrees...

***deafening silence***

Dunphy agrees...

"Yuessssss" stick a 'H' in the yuesssss if he's had a jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Obrieski wrote: »
    I enjoyed the most recent one of the 3 lads on the best all Ireland team.
    I think this is where Giles is best, reminiscing about players and times past. He has an incredible memory for that kind of thing.

Some interesting stories...Eamon being bought by Millwall to stop the lads drinking and doing drugs :pac: :pac:

I enjoyed that 1. "If I was the good guy there, you can imagine how bad those guys were!" :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Good interview with Nicola Talent and Kieran Cunningham about MTK/Daniel Kinehan today. This is the sort of thing that Dunphy should be doing. Far to many of his mimic the opinions of main stream radio stations.... i.e. Trump bad, Johnson bad, BREXIT bad etc etc. Dunphy was always the contrarian voice when he was on the panel for the sports. In this interview he tackles a subject that is a bit risqué, and to be honest, a bit dangerous for all involved!

Just wondering, I've heard Kieran Cunningham on OTB a lot, has he ever discussed MTK on that show? Them being the moral custodians of everything and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Far to many of his mimic the opinions of main stream radio stations.... i.e. Trump bad, Johnson bad, BREXIT bad etc etc. Dunphy was always the contrarian voice when he was on the panel for the sports.

But Trump, Johnson and Brexit are all bad? He's clearly Eurosceptic but can see the negative impacts of Brexit. He's said more than once that he tries to be as even as he can with trump, but trump makes it bloody hard to do that. And what positive spin can he put on Johnson?

• Advertisement

Good interview with Nicola Talent and Kieran Cunningham about MTK/Daniel Kinehan today. This is the sort of thing that Dunphy should be doing. Far to many of his mimic the opinions of main stream radio stations.... i.e. Trump bad, Johnson bad, BREXIT bad etc etc. Dunphy was always the contrarian voice when he was on the panel for the sports. In this interview he tackles a subject that is a bit risqué, and to be honest, a bit dangerous for all involved!

Just wondering, I've heard Kieran Cunningham on OTB a lot, has he ever discussed MTK on that show? Them being the moral custodians of everything and all that.

Fair play to Kieran Cunningham discussing this. Interesting he said he has talked to a few prominent people in Irish boxing who were too scared to put it on record their true feelings on the matter. The silence is deafening amongst all the big boxing promoters and boxers themselves. Money talks and morals walk. Blood money soaking their hands. Boxing was always shady but now it's just filthy to the core. A disgusting scene.

Advertisement