Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And so it begins...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Since the Boston bombings attacks by ISIS inspired jihadis within the US have killed at least 72 people, in attacks involving at least 15 jihadis, 11 of whom are dead.

Have toddlers really killed 72 people in four years? There are 8 million US toddlers per calender year. 72 murders gives them a murder rate roughly on a par with the Republic of Ireland (36 per 4 million)

32 terrorist killings in 2016 I believe and 51 reported 'shootings' by toddlers. To be fair that's not the same as a death.

I think you get the general point however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Since the Boston bombings attacks by ISIS inspired jihadis within the US have killed at least 72 people, in attacks involving at least 15 jihadis, 11 of whom are dead.

Have toddlers really killed 72 people in four years? There are 8 million US toddlers per calender year. 72 murders gives them a murder rate roughly on a par with the Republic of Ireland (36 per 4 million)

A child under 3 shoots themselves or someone else at least once a week in the US. Maybe not 72 kills, but 13 "suicides" and 2 deaths in 2015
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/14/people-are-getting-shot-by-toddlers-on-a-weekly-basis-this-year/
    As the article says, it's probably hugely underreported in the media.

That said, the US averages 40 to 50 deaths per year from lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alternative facts... people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

32 terrorist killings in 2016 I believe and 51 reported 'shootings' by toddlers. To be fair that's not the same as a death.

Yes America has a gun issue. And that does not detract from terrorist attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rachb

eeguy wrote: »
    There's a weird disassociate humans make on things that kill us.
    Disease, suicide, car crashes, work accidents, attacks from our own people and on and on, yet we fixate on immigrants, even though they do statistically insignificant damage to our societies.

As I've said before, the Bataclan attack made world headlines. The worst attack on Framce since WW2. An attack carried out by Belgians and French nationals on the French. 2 of 8 terrorists were non European. In terms of death, more people died on French roads in the 4 weeks leading up to the attack. Over 90% of the people inside the Bataclan escaped. Some though there was a fire, not an attack, yet it led to huge crackdowns and hatred towards immigrants who had zero to do with it.

I think the world has gone mad with their fear of terrorism. I think media portrays it as much worse than it actually is. We have irish lads with 100s of convictions terrorising us and not a word said, while 24 hour coverage about all the "hidden terrorists" among the refugees. A grand claim to make, since either can't be proven right or wrong.

I hate to Godwin the thread but i find it so hypocritical when people say "Oh we'd never let atrocities like the holocaust happen again" when we have hundreds of thousands killed in Syria, millions fleeing and people just don't want to know.

So all the terrorist attacks in Europe and the USA have been insignificant?
    How about the sexual assaults on women in Germany on New Years Eve 2015 or the sexual assaults on women in Austria on New Years Eve 2016?
    How about the rape of a Swedish woman live on Facebook by immigrants they welcomed into their country?

• Advertisement

And who were the terrorists? How many we non American?

Yes America has a gun issue. And that does not detract from terrorist attacks.

I assume it would add to it!

However 200 times more people are killed by texting while driving than terrorism. I'd have thought one would want to start at the top of the list and work down.

The point being made here the avoidance of doubt is America does not have nor is it likely to, have a terrorist problem based on immigration. It's all political smokescreens.

Still the man said he's do it, people voted and he did it, gotta give him some props there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭C. Montgomery Gurns

rachb wrote: »
    How about the rape of a Swedish woman live on Facebook by immigrants they welcomed into their country?

I saw a post in regards to this where someone commented "typical Sweden, well done, what a kip you have become" and the reply went "how do you know it was foreigners?"

I'd actually love to meet this type of mug, and challenge them to bet their house on the perps being named Lars, Erik and Sven rather than Abdul, Mahmoud and Fayaz. Too chicken to put their money where their mouth is without a doubt.

So all the terrorist attacks in Europe and the USA have been insignificant?
    How about the sexual assaults on women in Germany on New Years Eve 2015 or the sexual assaults on women in Austria on New Years Eve 2016?
    None are insignificant in and of themselves. They're all atrocious.

My point is that they statistically pale in comparison to what's already going on in these countries yet recieved disproportionately huge media emphasis.
    Do you disagree with this?

Why spend huge resources to prevent rare occurances instead of focusing on more prevalent, home grown threats?

Wasn't there like 50 alone killed in the Orlando attack?

And with all due respect, a significant amount of people killed or wounded by gun wielding toddlers are their parents. Unlike the victims of terrorism, they deserve it for allowing their child near a gun.

• Advertisement

Wasn't there like 50 alone killed in the Orlando attack?

And with all due respect, a significant amount of people killed or wounded by gun wielding toddlers are their parents. Unlike the victims of terrorism, they deserve it for allowing their child near a gun.

But don't they have a right to protect themselves with a loaded gun in every kitchen cabinet from the terrorists?

But don't they have a right to protect themselves with a loaded gun in every kitchen cabinet from the terrorists?

As a Trump supporter I will be the first to admit that his gun control policy is ludicrous. It is probably the only policy of his I think is mental.

As a Trump supporter I will be the first to admit that his gun control policy is ludicrous. It is probably the only policy of his I think is mental.

So proportional responses aren't entirely crazy then?

The US doesn't need gun control, it needs ridiculous fear mongering control and a better mental health system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I don't know Trump, I've never met him or had any contact with him but...<sob> I <sob>...but....<sob> I'm sorry, I can't go on...

That's okay. Your tears say more than any real evidence ever could.

I don't know Trump, I've never met him or had any contact with him but...<sob> I <sob>...but....<sob> I'm sorry, I can't go on...

That's okay. Your tears say more than any real evidence ever could.

Are not some of the things he does generally quite well reported?

I've never met Enda Kenny but I still think he's a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mirror game

degsie wrote: »
    . The world seems a little less safe right now.
    I wouldn't say the world! but I reckon major US cities could become dangerous, especially for those airing their extreme views to the public.

No harm either, it's about time this they found out that they don't "own the finish line"

None are insignificant in and of themselves. They're all atrocious.

My point is that they statistically pale in comparison to what's already going on in these countries yet recieved disproportionately huge media emphasis.
    Do you disagree with this?

Why spend huge resources to prevent rare occurances instead of focusing on more prevalent, home grown threats?

No I don't disagree with you but no attack will ever compare to the 9/11 attack where nearly 3000 innocent people died in 1 attack. That was a rare occurance but it was the biggest terrorist attack in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

We're going to build a wall from Dingle to Annascoul.

About time!!!

No I don't disagree with you but no attack will ever compare to the 9/11 attack where nearly 3000 innocent people died in 1 attack. That was a rare occurance but it was the biggest terrorist attack in history.

And easily repeatable by parties that would never need to touch american soil.

Very true. That attack was 16 years ago this year and it can still be felt in the way the US conducts itself.
    My point is that rare events are blown way out of proportion and people tend to believe things are much worse than they are. Then you get huge generalisation of an entire subcontinent through the actions of a few.
    Say for instance if we heard an Arabic community had totally ostracised a rape victim and supported the perpetrator. We'd say they're a backward people with no respect for women's rights and it would be blasted all over the news for a week.
    That happened in Tralee in 2009. You wouldn't say that the people of Ireland are backwards by association but you see it applied to Middle Eastern people all the time.

• Advertisement

I saw a post in regards to this where someone commented "typical Sweden, well done, what a kip you have become" and the reply went "how do you know it was foreigners?"

I'd actually love to meet this type of mug, and challenge them to bet their house on the perps being named Lars, Erik and Sven rather than Abdul, Mahmoud and Fayaz. Too chicken to put their money where their mouth is without a doubt.

Their faces say it all really, not that I have seen the absolutely disgusting video but I have seen their faces posted online on news pieces. Two Afghan migrants and a "Swedish"citizen but I'm waiting to be Politically Corrected on that!

Their faces say it all really, not that I have seen the absolutely disgusting video but I have seen their faces posted online on news pieces. Two Afghan migrants and a "Swedish"citizen but I'm waiting to be Politically Corrected on that!

And how many rapes occur in Sweden annually? Are these attacks statistically outside what's expected?
    If this attack could have been prevented by applying a blanket immigration ban, then how many of those thousands of destitute migrants would have suffered similar attacks or worse?

I'd never condone or excuse these attacks, I just feel like people are letting emotion and their own biases do the talking instead of the facts.

Very true. That attack was 16 years ago this year and it can still be felt in the way the US conducts itself.
    My point is that rare events are blown way out of proportion and people tend to believe things are much worse than they are.
    Say for instance if we heard an Arabic community had totally ostracised a rape victim and supported the perpetrator. We'd say they're a backward people with no respect for women's rights and it would be blasted all over the news for a week.
    That happened in Tralee in 2009. You wouldn't say that the people of Ireland are backwards by association but you see it applied to Middle Eastern people all the time.

No I totally agree with you but I think our Catholic religion is slowly changing with the times(for the better thank god).
    My point is that "rare" events are not blown out of proportion because it takes only 1/2/3 people etc to cause such an atrocity, where 100s or even 1000s can die from one such atrocity. So for every one thousand immigrants we let in, all it takes is 1 bad egg to kill 100 people.

Ps the point you made with the Arabic community ostracising a rape victim IS what is happening in mostly Muslin dominant countries. They treat women horribly as second class citizens and their religion needs to change with the times too. And until that happens I think a lot of people will be cautious to them.

Sweden is very difficult to quantify as they have a broad definition of rape.

Stats for Germany:

rape and aggravated sexual coercion (Sects. 177 (2, 3 and 4), 178 PC) (2015) 7,022 (2014) 7,345 (Differance) -323

No published stats for 2016 as far as I can see.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Bad news, it is more than Muslims. It makes nice propaganda to say it is only Muslims.
    Anyone who has travelled to these countries are too, and people of all religions and none.
    A CNN journalist who is not Muslim but said he has been to a number of these countries says he is affected too.

Please don't believe CNN aka Clinton News Network. Full of crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I hear the Sun is not going to rise in the morning because of Trump...

The level of sheer hysteria emanating from those who are emotional because Trump won is off the scale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sweden is very difficult to quantify as they have a broad definition of rape.

Stats for Germany:

rape and aggravated sexual coercion (Sects. 177 (2, 3 and 4), 178 PC) (2015) 7,022 (2014) 7,345 (Differance) -323

No published stats for 2016 as far as I can see.

Can you post the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hear the Sun is not going to rise in the morning because of Trump...

The level of sheer hysteria emanating from those who are emotional because Trump won is off the scale.

This woman has actually been admitted to a mental healthy facility. An asylum as they used to be called.

I used to know a few like her in my time. I've always found that hardcore leftists have a problem with facts and reality. They deny human nature and seem to spend their entire lives striving for an ideal which is unattainable.

When I was in college I wanted to work and make money. I wanted to be somebody, not a dreamer and a leech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

This woman has actually been admitted to a mental healthy facility. An asylum as they used to be called.

I used to know a few like her in my time. I've always found that hardcore leftists have a problem with facts and reality. They deny human nature and seem to spend their entire lives striving for an ideal which is unattainable.

When I was in college I wanted to work and make money. I wanted to be somebody, not a dreamer and a leech.

She reminds me of those on the street corner shouting The end is neigh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Fcuking idiots over there. They blow places to pieces all over the world in the guise of liberating these countries, and when they democratically elect a President in their own country they go into meltdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement