Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Gym got one of those Air Assault bikes which I've used twice and they're the job, so hard to do HIIT on which is what I need for cardio fitness, only thing is, when you select a program it starts beeping down for the last 20 seconds of your rest section which is really annoying for people around me....or so I imagine....it's annoying me anyway. I can track myself using the timer but ideally you could reduce to 3 beeps or something

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

whippet wrote: »
    dunlop was a brand name that sports direct purchased and are manufacturing themselves - so i'd love to know the type of factories these are been made in for that price !!!

Dunlop no longer owned by Sports Direct but I heard that all the factory staff are paid the 'living wage' and have break out spaces to practice mindfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'll ask here because topic of resting heart rate comes up a bit in this forum - my resting HR according to me fitbit is almost consistently between 43-47. Looking at my Fitbit's history, there hasn't been a day since December when it hasn't been in this range.

Today, I feel awful and have some sort of cold / sinus infection / congestion. Big temperature, bad shivers. My resting HR as I sit at my desk is now jumping between 77-82 for the past hour, occasionally dipping down around the 70 mark. I assume your body works hard to fight off infection, so is this to be expected?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'll ask here because topic of resting heart rate comes up a bit in this forum - my resting HR according to me fitbit is almost consistently between 43-47. Looking at my Fitbit's history, there hasn't been a day since December when it hasn't been in this range.

Today, I feel awful and have some sort of cold / sinus infection / congestion. Big temperature, bad shivers. My resting HR as I sit at my desk is now jumping between 77-82 for the past hour, occasionally dipping down around the 70 mark. I assume your body works hard to fight off infection, so is this to be expected?

I'd say it's normal enough when sick. The highest suffer score I've ever had cycling was a chilly day when I had a cold. It was a relatively flat spin around Meath/Kildare and I averaged 160 for 50km. I've done spins in the mountains where my heart rate average was way lower.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Yeah I think some professional athletes use it to spot illness coming on and address it before it hits too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Anyone have a look at that thread over on After Hours titled "Obesity crisis in Ireland"? Such a car crash of fatlogic, myths and other things that are just not scientifically valid. What's worse is many people then thanking posts that promote rubbish. No wonder there's an obesity crisis when the general public is clueless when it comes to basic nutrition and believe in fallacies.
    The usual nonsense being spouted about calories not being equal and how one will gain weight eating 2000cals of junk food vs 2000cals of healthy food, overweight people physically not being capable of losing weight as they're stuck at that weight etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Cake Man wrote: »
    Anyone have a look at that thread over on After Hours titled "Obesity crisis in Ireland"? Such a car crash of fatlogic, myths and other things that are just not scientifically valid. What's worse is many people then thanking posts that promote rubbish. No wonder there's an obesity crisis when the general public is clueless when it comes to basic nutrition and believe in fallacies.
    The usual nonsense being spouted about calories not being equal and how one will gain weight eating 2000cals of junk food vs 2000cals of healthy food, overweight people physically not being capable of losing weight as they're stuck at that weight etc.

It's After Hours... so it's always car crash. Best to just ignore it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Decided I'd do some sort of fitness challenge every month (in addition to all my regular training). Different things, like strength exercises, stretching, etc.
    Jan was press-ups, trying a set or two most days getting the reps up.
    Feb is horse stance stretching. 5 days a week.

I have a few more ideas but I'm looking for suggesting before I run out. Two I'm thinking of is taking 5mins to meditate everyday, and a set of pull ups everyday.

Any other suggestions.
    Should take a few mins, everyday (or 4-5 days), with minimal impact of other training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Planks and variations of planks is quick, no equipment and effective.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Planks and variations of planks is quick, no equipment and effective.

Yeah did a plank month before. That's a good one. Added
    Pull ups might be tricky as I don't have a pull up bar at home. Going to do handstands too.
    So need 6 more I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Total 1500 abwheel rollouts in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Stop trying to kill Mellor

Didn't think of totals per month. Good idea.
    Although I don't have an ab roller

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Mellor wrote: »

I got one for something like 3e in lidl, theyre pretty cheap these days!

Stop trying to kill Mellor

Yeah, WTF.

50 rollouts a day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Another would be to work on ankle mobility/single leg work to be able to build up yo do a pistol squat on either leg. (though thats assuming you arent able to do one now!)

VW 1 wrote: »
    Another would be to work on ankle mobility/single leg work to be able to build up yo do a pistol squat on either leg. (though thats assuming you arent able to do one now!)
    I can do pistols in my lifting shoes. Ankle mobility is pretty good. I find hip flexion gets in the way more. Do I'd usually opt for deep step ups.

Should probably tackle hip flexion one month.
    Head to toe stretches maybe? Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

People doing the Leg Press with lots of weight but only doing ¼ movements, is there a legit reason? similar tend to get picked up on gym fail videos

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

silverharp wrote: »
    People doing the Leg Press with lots of weight but only doing ¼ movements, is there a legit reason? similar tend to get picked up on gym fail videos

Increase their 1/4 squat 1RM.

I've used it as an accessory exercise where the level of knee flexion was of the order of what you would have for a deadlift. Very distinct purpose though.

The problem is that it can be difficult to have a measure of where is 'full' ROM. In a squat it's below parallel. That's your metric for it. But with leg press, you can shorten the ROM without necessarily realising it and lads start throwing on more and more weight with shorter and shorter ROM and thinking they've increased their leg press strength but mostly all they have done is made the ROM easier.

That and they're in the Quarter-Squat Gang.

• Advertisement

Yeah, WTF.

50 rollouts a day :eek:

Ah it’s well doable but challenging. Would only take 5 mins a day too.

Mellor wrote: »

Easy come by I’d say. Only a tenner too.

Ah it’s well doable but challenging. Would only take 5 mins a day too.

Lead the way so. Come back in a month and tell me about it

Lead the way so. Come back in a month and tell me about it

Well I would, if I was looking for a monthly challenge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Not sure if people have seen this on the bargain alerts thread Supplements increasing by 23% on 01 March :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've used it as an accessory exercise where the level of knee flexion was of the order of what you would have for a deadlift. Very distinct purpose though.

The problem is that it can be difficult to have a measure of where is 'full' ROM. In a squat it's below parallel. That's your metric for it. But with leg press, you can shorten the ROM without necessarily realising it and lads start throwing on more and more weight with shorter and shorter ROM and thinking they've increased their leg press strength but mostly all they have done is made the ROM easier.

It depends on the machine set up as well, the ROM can vary hugely. I very rarely use them.

I do find it hilarious how much weight you can load on to the plate loaded leg presses. I had an elbow injury once that meant I couldn’t squat or deadlift, I leg pressed nearly 700 pounds. Pounds cause it was in the Shtates.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    It depends on the machine set up as well, the ROM can vary hugely. I very rarely use them.

I do find it hilarious how much weight you can load on to the plate loaded leg presses. I had an elbow injury once that meant I couldn’t squat or deadlift, I leg pressed nearly 700 pounds. Pounds cause it was in the Shtates.

It didn't require a big ROM so it had a degree of use. But its something that I'd only really ever have had as an accessory doing high reps cos there is no carryover to the compounds. Don't think I've ever done sets of less than 10. Certainly no less than 8 but probably no less than 10

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

interesting, if he was using it to help deadlift it makes sense, the lad i saw looked like he was settling in for the evening with his tappa tappa tappa :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

interesting, if he was using it to help deadlift it makes sense, the lad i saw looked like he was settling in for the evening with his tappa tappa tappa :pac:

To be honest, the majority of the time people do it with a short ROM is so they can load on more weight because ego.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Advertisement