Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

CastorTroy wrote: »
    EA's Knockout City will be free to play for everyone for 10 days after its launch tomorrow

Been playing this all morning. Love it. Serious Splatoon vibes crossed with Outcasters. Will definitely purchase when the free trial is up. Great to see crossplay too. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo Switch Pro reveal expected before E3
    Will launch this autumn.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-27-nintendo-switch-pro-to-be-unveiled-before-e3

I'd say if it were up to Nintendo alone, they might not be revealing or releasing the Switch Pro this side of Christmas. Their hand might be forced because of 3rd parties, or maybe they're confident they won't have the hardware shortages that the competition has had.

Anyone want to make predictions for these games that'll take advantage of the Switch Pro? I think it'll be games that were really feasible until now. Maybe Call of Duty, GTA and that rumoured exclusive Resident Evil game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Remind me: do we have an idea of what the Pro is going to have, hardware-wise? Presumably, it'll still not be anywhere close to current-gen machines but will we see a bit of a bump (though even then I'm guessing it'd depend on the developers - so a better looking Outer Worlds mightn't be on the horizon, for one).

If it has a decent spec, I hope ther'll be some trade-in offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I can see my thought process going
    "I just bought a PS5 and TV"
    "I don't need this"
    "Will see what the price is"
    "Will Preorder and decide later"

Could be PS4 or XBox One level?
    I guess they need to be clear if this is a New 3ds type thing or a Wii U thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Remind me: do we have an idea of what the Pro is going to have, hardware-wise? Presumably, it'll still not be anywhere close to current-gen machines but will we see a bit of a bump (though even then I'm guessing it'd depend on the developers - so a better looking Outer Worlds mightn't be on the horizon, for one).

If it has a decent spec, I hope ther'll be some trade-in offers.

The new Switch iteration will support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling, or DLSS, a novel rendering technology that uses artificial intelligence to deliver higher-fidelity graphics more efficiently. That will allow the console, which is also set for an OLED display upgrade, to reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plan is not public.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-23/nintendo-to-use-new-nvidia-graphics-chip-in-2021-switch-upgrade

I think this is the latest info. It's expected to cost a bit more than the current one.

I'd say I'll try and pick one up. Currently have a Lite that's getting loads of usage. I'd say they'll be hard to get with the chip shortages

• Advertisement

The Bloomberg story within the Eurogamer report has me worried that it's a bare minimum upgrade. The real change is a better quality screen, slightly larger, but in the same sized form factor and maybe better battery life. And the 4K trickery. In fairness, that's what they've been saying it is for some time(OLED Samsung screen, 4K DLSS). The better battery life is speculation on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

sligeach wrote: »
    The Bloomberg story within the Eurogamer report has me worried that it's a bare minimum upgrade. The real change is a better quality screen, slightly larger, but in the same sized form factor and maybe better battery life. And the 4K trickery. In fairness, that's what they've been saying it is for some time(OLED Samsung screen, 4K DLSS). The better battery life is speculation on my behalf.
    It does say there'll be a "better CPU and increased memory" but that could me anything. The original chip was dated when the Switch first came out so plenty scope for upgrade.

I'm not sure what I'd like to see from it. Red Dead 2 is the only recent game I can think of that I'd get excited about coming to Switch. And maybe Cyberpunk if they ever fix it :pac:

Rumor: New Switch revision tidbits surface

https://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-new-switch-revision-tidbits-surface/

I hope the "other types of (compatible) peripherals" includes new Joy-Cons. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Announcement coming today is the rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Astalon: Tears of the Earth is out today. Early reviews seem really positive and it look great.
    It's a Metroidvania with 3 characters (which you can switch at the savepoint).
    The goal is to climb a tower, but every time you die, you start from room 1 (not a roguelite though - it's a fixed map).

You can permanently upgrade your character at the start of the game, so you're a little stronger each run.
    As you climb the tower you can unlock warps and short cuts.
    About €16 or thereabouts.

• Advertisement

Shin Megami Tensei V releases on November 11th for Switch.

The site in the link has crashed(or maybe Atlus and Nintendo had them killed), but you can also find the info here:

https://finalweapon.net/2021/06/03/shin-megami-tensei-v-releases-on-november-11th-for-switch-gameplay-and-story-details-leaked-via-the-official-japanese-website/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mr E wrote: »
    Astalon: Tears of the Earth is out today. Early reviews seem really positive and it look great.
    It's a Metroidvania with 3 characters (which you can switch at the savepoint).
    The goal is to climb a tower, but every time you die, you start from room 1 (not a roguelite though - it's a fixed map).

You can permanently upgrade your character at the start of the game, so you're a little stronger each run.
    As you climb the tower you can unlock warps and short cuts.
    About €16 or thereabouts.

This game is a masterpiece. A masterclass in map design with tons and tons of secrets everywhere. Please add to your wishlist at least.

Ninja Gaiden Collection comes to Switch and is decent

near-solid 60 fps

pretty difficult games but a nice option to have on handheld

glasso wrote: »
    Ninja Gaiden Collection comes to Switch and is decent

near-solid 60 fps

pretty difficult games but a nice option to have on handheld

Seeing some reports online that it's a relatively lazy port. Not consistant with framerate in parts 2 and 3, tends to chug at times and gets pixelated. Seen people on Twitter say this and NintendoLife.

1 totally solid 2 seems to be at 50 lowest and 3 does have some drops but not really below 40

considering the performance on Switch ports are 30 in most cases that's that ok imo

overall reviews decent

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/ninja-gaiden-master-collection

1 and 2 are what people would buy this for in any case.

3 was never that great.

I've heard mediocre things about the collection. Add to that, the original first 2 games, Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2, cited as being the best versions, aren't included as the original code couldn't be salvaged. And the 3rd game, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge, I own on Wii U.

glasso wrote: »
    1 totally solid 2 seems to be at 50 lowest and 3 does have some drops but not really below 40

considering the performance on Switch ports are 30 in most cases that's that ok imo

overall reviews decent

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/ninja-gaiden-master-collection

1 and 2 are what people would buy this for in any case.

3 was never that great.

Might add to the wishlist so and get on a sale. Never played any game in the series.

I've heard mediocre things about the collection. Add to that, the original first 2 games, Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2, cited as being the best versions, aren't included as the original code couldn't be salvaged. And the 3rd game, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge, I own on Wii U.

The Sigma versions of 1 is not that altered as far I see and 2 added bosses mainly and reduced the enemy count.

opinion is not unanimous on what versions are better.

the main reason for using these versions would be most likely that the more recent versions were the Sigma ones meaning the assets are more appropriate for reuse.

Wasn't one of them a XBox exclusive which is the reason they created the Sigma version for Playstation.
    So if that exclusivity deal never expired, maybe that's why they have to use these versions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would imagine the issues with the port will be addressed in an update.
    The issues with the 3rd game being m'eh can't be helped.
    The first one is fantastic though, played it on the OG Xbox back in the day, still have it in the collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

While not explicitly shown, news is Kingdom Come: Deliverance is coming to Switch soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    While not explicitly shown, news is Kingdom Come: Deliverance is coming to Switch soon.

Weren't the PC and console versions horribly riddled with performance bugs? Not sure how this isn't going to be a hot mess.

I was reading a Kotaku article yesterday that asked, why. They're not impressed.

For Some Reason, Kingdom Come: Deliverance Is Coming To The Nintendo Switch

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/06/for-some-reason-kingdom-come-deliverance-is-coming-to-the-nintendo-switch/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If nothing else Kingdom Come makes me more hopeful about a Switch Pro because there's no way that thing will be playable on a standard Switch.

I was reading a Kotaku article yesterday that asked, why. They're not impressed.

For Some Reason, Kingdom Come: Deliverance Is Coming To The Nintendo Switch

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/06/for-some-reason-kingdom-come-deliverance-is-coming-to-the-nintendo-switch/

That website is an absolute ****show in the last year or so. Use to be my go-to for gaming news. Now it's brutal.

That website is an absolute ****show in the last year or so. Use to be my go-to for gaming news. Now it's brutal.

The whole umbrella of sites were taken over by (I think) a venture capitalist after the Gawker controversy, they've been running them all into the ground. Used to be an avid reader of io9, their sci-fi site, but it's absolute garbage fire now.

But they did mention the English paper from this year's leaving cert :)
    https://kotaku.com/hatsune-miku-sneaks-into-irelands-high-school-exit-exam-1847068105

New Mario + Rabbids. Probably be gameplay at Ubisoft's presentation this evening.

MARIO + RABBIDS SPARKS OF HOPE

Team up with Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Rabbid Peach, Rabbid Luigi, and their friends on a galactic journey to defeat a malevolent entity and save your Spark companions. Explore planets throughout the galaxy as you uncover mysterious secrets and compelling quests!
    • Build your dream team with three heroes from an eclectic roster of nine.
    • Take down all new bosses, along with some familiar enemies throughout the galaxy.
    • Rescue the adorable Sparks throughout the galaxy, who provide distinct powers that will help you in battle.
    • Unleash your heroes' skills but be strategic as you dash your enemies, team jump on your allies, and hide behind covers.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/mario-plus-rabbids-sparks-of-hope-switch/

Wizard with a Gun - Announcement Trailer - Nintendo Switch

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1ylQ0-EGMP8
    Wizard with a Gun is an online cooperative sandbox survival game set in a magical wilderness wrought with dangerous creatures and arcane mysteries. Coming to Nintendo Switch in 2022!

Embark on a journey alone or with friends to collect, craft, and outfit your wizard however you see fit as you explore the unknown. Carefully design weapons, bullets, and furnishings for your tower home but try not to burn it all down as the magic you wield escalates beyond your control...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Wizard with a Gun - Announcement Trailer - Nintendo Switch

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1ylQ0-EGMP8

Devolvers whole 30 minute video which features this and other games is well worth a watch.

Advertisement