Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It sold barely over 2000 physical copies in Japan, it might actually be a good investment to pick up a copy now as they will be hard to come by in 10 years.

Yuji Naka was a terrible choice for a director, the man is totally out of touch with modern gaming.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Xenji wrote: »
    It sold barely over 2000 physical copies in Japan, it might actually be a good investment to pick up a copy now as they will be hard to come by in 10 years.

Yuji Naka was a terrible choice for a director, the man is totally out of touch with modern gaming.

I mean... Do you think a greater number of people will want it in ten years than do now, given that it's gone down like a lead balloon? And are you really that stuck for anything more rewarding to spend your cash on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He is an amazing coder but all the games he is known for (Sonic, Nights, etc.) he was a coder on and not the creative lead. He hasn't made a good game as a creative lead that I've played (Ivy the Kiwi I've not played or Let's Tap which are meant to be decent).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Fysh wrote: »
    I mean... Do you think a greater number of people will want it in ten years than do now, given that it's gone down like a lead balloon? And are you really that stuck for anything more rewarding to spend your cash on?

There are plenty of games that were panned on release and sold poorly that go for large amounts now, a friend of mine still has a PAL copy of Snowboard Kids 2 that often goes for over €1000.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I want to play it even more now!
    Not to make apologies for the man, but I looked over his games CV and I like quite of lot of what he worked on over the years.
    Fair enough, the most notable examples he was producer on rather than director, but still.
    Sometimes there is a place for a game that seems out of it's own time.
    The Last Guardian was similar, playing exactly, but not quite, the same as a PS2 game, yet it was still sublime (quiet Retr0!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There are plenty of games that were panned on release and sold poorly that go for large amounts now, a friend of mine still has a PAL copy of Snowboard Kids 2 that often goes for over €1000.

Does your friend play it much? For me, i like to keep my hobbies as hobbies and not introduce investment or speculation into the mix, so stuff I buy is stuff I want to play/read/watch - I think I'd get frustrated by the metagame of trying to work out what might appreciate enough to be worth my while. But I'm sure not everyone is the same :)

I suppose the argument can be made that the people making hundreds of thousands of dollars selling good-nick issues of Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #39 are basically doing the same sort of thing as what you're suggesting...

Seems like "Subnautica" on Switch is good - a great game to have on handheld

Would be a fair assumption that the sequel "Subnautica - Below Zero" should be decent also

• Registered Users Posts: 27,960 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm not sure how nobody mentioned that this was released today.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/calculator-switch/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Wow $10 for a digital calculator? That's some DSi-level shovelware.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There are rumours all over YouTube of a new 2D Metroid and 2D Donkey Kong due to be announced at E3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Mr E wrote: »
    There are rumours all over YouTube of a new 2D Metroid and 2D Donkey Kong due to be announced at E3.
    Please don't play with my heart like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A rumour about a new Metroid / BOTW2; it must be a Thursday ;)

Yeah, it's nice that someone decided to bolt Metroid onto the existing rumours about a 2D/2.5D Kong game being in development.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Have had AM2R and the Prime 2D demo scratching my Metroid itch recently!

Playing AM2R in Am2Random mode makes it pretty bloody challenging too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The superb photography adventure game Umurangi Generation is coming to Switch next month. Hard to describe what’s so special about it without going into detail, but suffice to say it has brilliant, politically-charged sci-fi storytelling; a god-tier soundtrack; the chillest of vibes; and BY FAR the best photography / photo mode in any game released to date.

https://twitter.com/umurangigame/status/1393532000439439365?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

sligeach wrote: »

Is it just me or has the SNES / NES on switch totally played itself out and it's time the introduce a new console catalogue.
    Don't get me wrong, I played some of the SNES games and it was great to play them again. But they are really dredging the depths now. Time to get N64 on there, or GBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Me luv cookies and me still want Faxanadu and Mystical Ninja then it's played out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Problem with N64 titles is that IMO those early doors 3d games have aged much worse than the 16bit, pixel art area has (which has remained fairly timeless). Coupled with what I recall were some pretty low FPS rates too and I'm not sure how fun some of those games would be to play now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

nedd wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the SNES / NES on switch totally played itself out and it's time the introduce a new console catalogue.
    Don't get me wrong, I played some of the SNES games and it was great to play them again. But they are really dredging the depths now. Time to get N64 on there, or GBA.

Definitely some GBA classics need to get on there like Advance Wars and Golden Sun

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Problem with N64 titles is that IMO those early doors 3d games have aged much worse than the 16bit, pixel art area has (which has remained fairly timeless). Coupled with what I recall were some pretty low FPS rates too and I'm not sure how fun some of those games would be to play now.

Can confirm. The N64 passed me by on original release and I picked one up 2nd hand around 10 years ago. It was interesting but most games didn't work for me as brand new experiences, not least because having had a GC and Wii in the intervening time, it just felt like going backwards for no real benefit.

GBA games seem the obvious next source of games to me - even though it can't recapture the joy of the Mega Drive game I'd probably still give the GBA Gunstar Heroes game a revisit on the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah very few of them look ok and some of them look abysmal. Majoras Mask for example. Horrific. Still enjoy Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Ocarina....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

There needs to be a remake of body harvest. In my head that game is amazing, when I play it... sad

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah very few of them look ok and some of them look abysmal. Majoras Mask for example. Horrific. Still enjoy Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Ocarina....

Wait, so Ocarina looks good, but Majora's Mask is horrific? How'd you figure that...? Especially as MM used the expansion pack too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Star Lord wrote: »
    Wait, so Ocarina looks good, but Majora's Mask is horrific? How'd you figure that...? Especially as MM used the expansion pack too.

Thought that was odd...
    In fairness, the LoZ games still make me happy on the N64, even though the frame rate is a little on the low side.
    And Pilotwings, Waverace and 1080° still rock on the console

Fysh wrote: »
    Can confirm. The N64 passed me by on original release and I picked one up 2nd hand around 10 years ago. It was interesting but most games didn't work for me as brand new experiences, not least because having had a GC and Wii in the intervening time, it just felt like going backwards for no real benefit.

GBA games seem the obvious next source of games to me - even though it can't recapture the joy of the Mega Drive game I'd probably still give the GBA Gunstar Heroes game a revisit on the Switch.

I never had a N64 during my younger years. Went from SNES to the PS1 in terms of consoles played (notions!), so like you when I played Goldeneye for example as an adult, was shocked just how shoddy and ugly the game was - to look at and play. Mario 64 aged well, but again had a very low end FPS; of course that has got the "remaster" treatment so a bit of an outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Star Lord wrote: »

In fairness I havent played the N64 in 15 years (Roms only) but the HD Ocarina rom is beautiful.

I never had a N64 during my younger years. Went from SNES to the PS1 in terms of consoles played (notions!), so like you when I played Goldeneye for example as an adult, was shocked just how shoddy and ugly the game was - to look at and play. Mario 64 aged well, but again had a very low end FPS; of course that has got the "remaster" treatment so a bit of an outlier.

That first generation suffered a lot for being a learning phase, I think - I remember playing a fair bit of Ps1 at the time and some games hold up better than others. Battle Arena Tohshinden has fared badly, for instance, whereas Wipeout or Destruction Derby are still fun, even if they aren't easy on the eyes.

I enjoyed mario 64 (on the Wii Virtual Console) but for me the king of early 3D platformers remains Jumping Flash!! on PS1, it has a wonderfully daft Mario-like feel of whimsy to it and, well, you pilot a giant mechanical bunny rabbit around the place and use fireworks as special power-ups. I can't find it in myself to dislike that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some of the best N64 games - the two Zeldas, Mario 64, Starfox 64 and on the handheld consoles and all play much better there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

EA's Knockout City will be free to play for everyone for 10 days after its launch tomorrow

Advertisement