Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But they end up trawling over the same things again and again.
    People acting surprised that the Switch isn't as powerful as the PS4/XboxOne.
    I mean, really...
    Even back in the day, no one complained that the Gameboy Advance wasn't as powerful as the PS2 or Gamecube.
    Which suggests that some people, in the past 20 years, have lost a heck of a lot of perspective.

Is the Switch a handheld.
    Is the Switch a console.

Didn't we deal with low level trolling on this topic three years ago?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Balan is a turd across all formats, not just Switch.
    The Switch release has its problems but the power differential isn't one of them, despite the visuals being disappointing on the Switch console.

As for your other negative comments, I don't know how much money Bethesda have made from the ports and releases to the Switch, to be sure they were uniformly excellent if not astonishing.

One would have thought they could only have generated positive responses from Switch owners but, it seems, in your case at least that the game is great isn't enough, no, you need to see Bethesda's balance sheet as well before the likes of Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein can be considered a boon for the Switch gamer.

I said that they were great ports for such low-end hardware

it's the video games industry - not charity

if you own a Nintendo that should be all the more obvious I would have thought given that they seek to extract the max at every juncture

the panic button full ports took a long long time (especially eternal) so a lot of man-hours and therefore cost

I'm making the point that if the games don't cover their costs that they won't happen again and the panic button team have only so much bandwidth also

Balan is a framerate disaster on switch

and even with their (panic button) input Apex Legends is only fair

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

glasso wrote: »
    I'm making the point that if the games don't cover their costs that they won't happen again and the panic button team have only so much bandwidth also

Good thing it worked multiples times for Panic Button then really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bethesda have released quite a few games that have made the most of the Switch hardware.
    But the concern is that Panic Button can only make so many games of that standard?

Again,
    I didn't buy a Switch to play the games I can get on my PS4 or XB1.

This argument has been debated to death.

If that's why anyone backed the Switch they didn't pay attention.
    The Switch has the exact capability to run the games it is running well right now.
    And there's a lot.

Apex Legends?
    It's a massive cross platform hit.
    Those who want to play it can find it on a cheap previous gen console, or on the Switch if they really want to.
    But I don't think anyone should be particularly disappointed at the games performance on Switch.

Can people please stop with the negative posts because their Switch isn't a PS4?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Stick Fight: The Game will finally be out on Switch on April 1st. Looks like online multiplayer is included, though as other versions already exist and have online available it remains to be seen if the online version uses/requires NSO. Day 1 purchase for me, it's a tremendously fun and silly game for couch multiplayer.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Bethesda have released quite a few games that have made the most of the Switch hardware.
    But the concern is that Panic Button can only make so many games of that standard?

Again,
    I didn't buy a Switch to play the games I can get on my PS4 or XB1.

This argument has been debated to death.

If that's why anyone backed the Switch they didn't pay attention.
    The Switch has the exact capability to run the games it is running well right now.
    And there's a lot.

Apex Legends?
    It's a massive cross platform hit.
    Those who want to play it can find it on a cheap previous gen console, or on the Switch if they really want to.
    But I don't think anyone should be particularly disappointed at the games performance on Switch.

Can people please stop with the negative posts because their Switch isn't a PS4?

any game or any port of any game that is actually brought to the switch should be judged on how it is on the switch

if a game is crap performance-wise on the PS4 the reviewer doesn't say oh well I'll buy a PS5 and play it on that

no, the reviewer says that it's crap on the PS4!

The point is that we have years of complaints that either the Switch isn't hosting enough games that are popular on other systems it that, when they are ported, that the ports are poor.

I don't know about you but I have a heap of systems to play games on, some 60+ at this point, and I bought the Switch for what it brought to the table, I terms of AAA titles specifically for the system.
    A bonus was the titles coming from other formats which worked well and appealed to my taste, so Need for Speed Hot Pursuit would be a great example.
    I never ever expected the likes of Doom to make the jump to the Switch.
    That it did and is as good as it is is a feat unparalleled tbh.
    Skyrim is another stunning title.

Yes, if a Switch title is crap it's simply crap, but if you are going to insist on comparing it to better versions on other platforms then you have to accept that the Switch is not the target format and so the risk is always that it will not perform as you hope.

Balan is pants on every platform, such a pity, I love Sonic and Nights and had high hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm still buying it as I go against the flow and am at heart(albeit a black one) a manatee sized manchild

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm a sucker for those kind of games - even liked Billy Hatcher - so I'll keep a hopeful eye on it.

I'm a sucker for those kind of games - even liked Billy Hatcher - so I'll keep a hopeful eye on it.

Billy Hatcher was/is a lot of fun, I must get the game down from the shelf and give it a blast again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Monster Hunter: Rise reviews are coming in now. 86% thus far from 39 reviews.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/monster-hunter-rise/critic-reviews

Depending on where you read, it's the best game since BOTW. Monster Hunter games are great, very time consuming though. You can say goodbye to your family and friends if you play this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've tried 2 or 3 of those games, plus the demos, and I just cannot see the appeal. Great to hear it's a good Switch game though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

chrislad wrote: »
    I've tried 2 or 3 of those games, plus the demos, and I just cannot see the appeal. Great to hear it's a good Switch game though!

Same as this. I don't see the attraction but a lot of people seem to love them. Seems very repetitive to me.

The interesting thing about Monster Hunter Rise and another recent switch release - the Plants vs Zombies game is that it now means that both the RE Engine (Capcom) and the Frostbite (EA) game engines respectively have been ported to switch for the first time

Could open the way for more games on the system as a result

e.g. RE Engine games like Resident Evil 2 Remake

EA games like the full versions of Fifa etc

Given the way EA are dipping their toes into the Nintendo pool once again, I would imagine things are going to get very interesting with the new console on the way.
    If it is a genuinely new piece of hardware and not an update the new software development kits will be making their way to developers by the end of the year.
    It's going to be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Same as this. I don't see the attraction but a lot of people seem to love them. Seems very repetitive to me.

And I don't mind repetitive. My issue is mainly that you're thrown in at the deep end with no tutorial or guide and I've no idea what to do or what I should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭baldshin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

baldshin wrote: »
    Thanks! Quickly searched on Amazon UK and they are there too if anyone wants them from there or are UK-based like me:
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08WWFBBJQ/

I'm still buying it as I go against the flow and am at heart(albeit a black one) a manatee sized manchild

appears that Balan Wonderland is a giant turd alright, from all angles

you'd certainly be going against the grain splashing out on this

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/balan-wonderworld

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• Advertisement

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

it's actually the opinion of the game reviewer critics.

but sure look, 26% current average critic review on metacritic be dammed, go ahead and splurge for €60 and please report back!

I have Nights on Saturn and PS2, I don't think Balan does anything to enhance the legacy or reputation of Yugi Naka.
    Pity but the game is awful regardless of platform.
    It is bad when people are comparing it unfavourably to a Crash Bandicoot game.
    Seems too that the music is the best thing about it.
    I'll pick it up when it is discounted as a physical edition for whatever format that happens to be in.

Haven't managed to pick it up yet from Argos I'm intrigued by the day one patch to stop seizures, the game is starting to look like it is best picked up for buttons rather than throwing €60 at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Haven't managed to pick it up yet from Argos I'm intrigued by the day one patch to stop seizures, the game is starting to look like it is best picked up for buttons rather than throwing €60 at it.

I think I'd rather play with the buttons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Pacman 99 launching for Switch Online owners. Hmmm...

Paid DLC to reskin it too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Balan Wonderland is getting some good word of mouth from users. Saying it might not be amazing but it's pretty good and a lot more original than the likes of Crash.

Seems a lot of reviewer criticism is unfounded like the the fact you can't jump in some costumes when it's very obvious this is a very deliberate design choice. Levels seem quite well designed as well, you will think you are breaking the game only to find rewards at the end and realise it was developer intended.

I'll give it a try myself but the game is tanking badly so will probably be on sale soon.

The Switch port however is meant to have shocking technical issues.

I will probably pick up a physical copy but it won't be the Switch version, the visual issues just make it a poorer choice compared to the other consoles it has released on.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It'll be very cheap in no time. It was a commercial disaster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mr E wrote: »
    Pacman 99 launching for Switch Online owners. Hmmm...

Paid DLC to reskin it too.

So we can have this but still no port of Pacman-256? Bah. Bah, I say!

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    It'll be very cheap in no time. It was a commercial disaster.

didn't score well on any platform or from any reviewer really (except maybe one single one that I saw on metacritc) but the switch version seems to be the turd of turds and beyond any polishing

fashionable as it may be to be contrarian seems a lost cause in this case

most common damming inditement is that it's simply boring, antiquated and stale

Advertisement