Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm probably going to order this from Amazon, but then a premium of some €15 to buy from Ireland bricks and mortar and get to play on the day, that might be worth it.
    Every mainstream Mario title, NSMB franchise excluded, has been a classic of the format, never to age.
    Super Mario Bros,
    Super Mario Bros 2 (maybe the weakest point in the franchise, given that it's a reskinned non-Mario game Doki Doki Panic)
    Super Mario Bros 3 (just sublime)
    Super Mario World (even more sublime)
    Super Mario 64 (created a genre, and remains one of the best 22 years later)
    Super Mario Sunshine (under rated by people who haven't played it, still startlingly good now, particularly given the gen, PS2/Xbox)
    Super Mario Galaxy (Wow, just wow)
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Even more wow)
    Super Mario 3D Land (reason to turn on the 3D)
    Super Mario 3D World (Mad combo of Mario World feels and a Mario themed toybox/diorama)
    and now
    Super Mario Odyssey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Digital is £41 on Amazon. Same day at decent price, you're never going to sell it anyway, give Smyths a fiver for an empty box for the shelf in December when it's out of stock and no good to them anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Banjo wrote: »
    Digital is £41 on Amazon. Same day at decent price, you're never going to sell it anyway, give Smyths a fiver for an empty box for the shelf in December when it's out of stock and no good to them anyway

I see the logic in it, but I really like having the physical media.
    I have all the mentioned Super Mario titles in their physical format, including the NSMB titles and the Super Mario Bros 2 (SM USA) title released on the Famicom Disk System.
    It's essential to my peace of mind that the physical presence of the ongoing Mario franchise continues in my collection!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Every mainstream Mario title

Super Mario World 2 aswell

AMGer wrote: »
    Super Mario World 2 aswell

Yep, both of them.
    I really need to find the time to play them though.

One I don't have is the Japanese Super Mario 64 variant that introduces rumble, certainly it transforms Wave Race 64, better already on an NTSC N64 but with rumble, which isn't in the original release, it's amazing. I've played them only via an N64 Everdrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,534 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The penultimate console Zelda was pants, the worst, that being Skyward Sword. Then followed it up with the best in the series in BOTW. The same I think might be said of SM3DW and Super Mario Odyssey. I've been playing SM3DW again in the past couple of weeks. It's not great, has no challenge whatsoever(I'm on World 7 now), hate the limited levels and camera control. Don't know how either scored so well and they both have detractors, rightly so, myself included.

I feel like Nintendo phoned them in as Skyward Sword came out when Wii was dead and needed an added peripheral. SM3DW, Nintendo were desperate for a quick release on Wii U as it was already in trouble. They took a cookie-cutter and largely copied SM3DL from 3DS. Then were lazy again by making Captain Turd: Treasure Tracker. Another game I didn't enjoy and again had no challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Captain Toad was a great budget game. I'm hoping for a sequel to be honest.

I can see how 3D World being built for multiplayer pissed people off though. But I loved it. Champions Road made it all worthwhile anyway :)

Super Mario 3D World was outstanding, might have been a departure from Galaxy but it was beautiful, action packed and inventive.
    And the review scores reflect this.
    It followed in the path of Luigi's Mansion in a way, creating tangible dioramas on-screen.

Captain Toad was great fun, confounding expectations with a Mario themed 3d puzzler, expanding on the original in the platformers.
    Perhaps it was a little slight for some, but there was plenty of replay to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

When buying digital from amazon how do you go about downloading the game when it is released?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

When buying digital from amazon how do you go about downloading the game when it is released?

It'll more than likely be a Nintendo e-shop code recieved through e-mail, then just type that in to the 'redeem a code' section on the e-shop, confirm and Mario Odyssey will start to download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,534 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Sligeach - this one's for you.
    I know you REALLY want a Switch, you love digital downloads a the idea of paying a little extra for an exclusive colour of Joycon totally butters your biscuit.
    Here :
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nintendo-switch-red-edition-mario-odyssey-31499-potentially-up-to-an-extra-8-off-read-in-post-toys-r-us-using-code-2802403

Basically, you can get a whopping £5 off the Odyssey bundle with it's red joy cons and download code but that is not all, oh no that is not all : If you jump through a whole bunch of hoops, purchasing loads of gift tokens with a discounting app, you can save another £18ish. That's £23 ! Do you know how far that will go on the SouthAfrican eShop???? No you don't because you don't have a Switch.... YET! And actually, given their financial situation, there's no guarantee you'll get a Switch if you do this either. Still...

One of us! One of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Sligeach - this one's for you.
    I know you REALLY want a Switch, you love digital downloads a the idea of paying a little extra for an exclusive colour of Joycon totally butters your biscuit.
    Here :
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nintendo-switch-red-edition-mario-odyssey-31499-potentially-up-to-an-extra-8-off-read-in-post-toys-r-us-using-code-2802403

Basically, you can get a whopping £5 off the Odyssey bundle with it's red joy cons and download code but that is not all, oh no that is not all : If you jump through a whole bunch of hoops, purchasing loads of gift tokens with a discounting app, you can save another £18ish. That's £23 ! Do you know how far that will go on the SouthAfrican eShop???? No you don't because you don't have a Switch.... YET! And actually, given their financial situation, there's no guarantee you'll get a Switch if you do this either. Still...

One of us! One of us!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Awesome.
    We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

"Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo Switch)"
    Estimated arrival date: October 27 2017

Going the Parcel motel route so will probably be the 28th though

• The Hype is Real...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

geez, i cant believe its nearly time for mario odyssey, it seemed so far away when getting the switch in march. Cappy looks like its gonna be so much fun to possess things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Hope they use Jump up, Superstar on the inevitable TV ad

Let's just say that a forgetful Category Mod, could be anyone, has failed to preorder Super Mario Odyssey and is anxious to have the game on launch day but also wants to save some money, because he's also a miserable tightwad.
    What would this hypothetical pale creature do?

Hang himself!

Grainger Games had it for £39.99 + delivery this morning.
    I think Amazon are doing another "buy XX in gift cards and get Y" voucher offer if you haven't done one for a while - Buy £30, get £5 or something. Odyssey was £41 on there last time I looked (admittedly it was weeks ago) which would include delivery.
    Saw a mention of an National Union of Students discount on either Amazon or Grainger - if you happen to be one of those (or want to order a correspondence course for £6 and call it an investment for the future) then you coudl get a tenner off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

55 in smyths on launch and whatever argos is gonna charge, they have been more expensive then smyths when it comes to switch games. I am dissapoint. They will probably be 60- 65. Im gonna be a launch day bunny and probably do smyths.

• Advertisement

I'm tempted to forgive the letterbox gazing and simply be there on release day morning, Mario tee on, money in hand.
    Plus, I'm off that day to help set up the Retro section of the PlayersXpo, so hope I've time to play!

• More Goodness...Spoilers beware obviously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    More Goodness...Spoilers beware obviously!

I really want a Switch all of a sudden!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,900 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just realised I'm out of the country during the release date and wont be back until the 2nd of November. Disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Just spotted on Reddit that someone got a copy of Edge with the review of Super Mario Odyssey a day early.

Score spoilered for anyone that wants to hold off to read the review
    10!

• Another masterpiece and GOTY contender from Nintendo
    BOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Brilliant Stuff.... Delighted seeing early review scores...

From elsewhere...
    This month’s issue of EDGE was originally supposed to be with subscribers at this point. However, the magazine was delayed “to accommodate an exclusive embargo.” Subscribers will have the issue tomorrow, but we’re hearing that it’s already showing up in stores – and Super Mario Odyssey is apparently on the cover.

Must get Edge tomorrow...

• Advertisement

I haven't even read last month's Edge!
    And now I need to buy this one!!

Advertisement