Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just pre-ordered this on Amazon. €45. Never pre-ordered anything before. Can't wait now.

I can't believe how much cheaper it is for the physical copy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

It's mad alright. I've gone physical cartridge for all of my big purchases for the Switch. Only gone digital for smaller games.
    Like having the cartridge plus I can swap games with mates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Those 3 new kingdoms better not be locked behind those awful SCamiibo. It's a distinct possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

It really isn't a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not a chance.

• Advertisement

Ya, on reflection, probably not.

PowerA Is Making A Super Mario Odyssey Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Grip
    81VfFkyRkjL._AC_.jpg

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/09/14/powera-making-super-mario-odyssey-nintendo-switch-joy-con-grip/

There's a couple of more images and details at the link. It might match up better with the red Joy-cons in the SMO Switch bundle. Though don't count on it, I've seen previous grips being way off, that was at the start. Maybe they're better communicating now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭Nollog

Any heard what the Irish price is for the Mario bundle?

Proper red joycons!

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Any heard what the Irish price is for the Mario bundle?

Proper red joycons!

No idea on tthe price but fair warning, it's a download code and not a physical copy of the game. Nintendo just stop squeezing those pennies. Actually, expect it to cost what the Splatoon 2 bundle was, I heard it was a rip-off and that too has a download code. I see that it's £400 on Amazon. Ya, good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

sligeach wrote: »
    No idea on tthe price but fair warning, it's a download code and not a physical copy of the game. Nintendo just stop squeezing those pennies. Actually, expect it to cost what the Splatoon 2 bundle was, I heard it was a rip-off and that too has a download code. I see that it's £400 on Amazon. Ya, good luck with that.

It's like watching a 15 year old blonde strenuously denying that she isn't marrying Bill Wyman. The struggle is where the pain comes from dude. Get in the tub. Drown with us...and your red joy cons...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Moaning Myrtle might be a more apt reference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just watched the latest clip from the Nintendo Direct. Man, I didn't think I was this excited for it. Cannot wait for this to release. The Switch is by far the best console I've owned from launch in terms of quality games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

chrislad wrote: »
    Just watched the latest clip from the Nintendo Direct. Man, I didn't think I was this excited for it. Cannot wait for this to release. The Switch is by far the best console I've owned from launch in terms of quality games.

You're like the anti-Sligeach.... if such a being could exist.

If the two of you are in a room together, would you both be drawn into the occupying the same space, before annihilation and masses of energy is released?

Super Mario Odyssey - Nintendo Direct 13.09.2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zps84AcOxqI

I meant to post this a little sooner. I kept looking away when this was on as it had too many spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭Nollog

sligeach wrote: »

Download codes are fine for games all but guaranteed to be excellent, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Download codes are fine for games all but guaranteed to be excellent, in my opinion.

I actually sold my physical Zelda to have the download code. I didn't want to be swapping games in and out, and I'll always want that game.

Super Mario Odyssey is 5.7GB's in size. Using Google Translate:
    Free space of 5.7 GB or more is required for downloading. Depending on the Internet environment, downloading may take time.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fstore.nintendo.co.jp%2Fcategory%2FFEATURE_ODYSSEY%2FHAC_J_AAACA.html&edit-text=&act=url

https://store.nintendo.co.jp/category/FEATURE_ODYSSEY/HAC_J_AAACA.html

That puts NBA 2K18's save file of 5 GB's to shame.

And that 5gb save file has to be on internal storage as well. A 5gb file out of 26gb space is quite big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

And that 5gb save file has to be on internal storage as well. A 5gb file out of 26gb space is quite big.

What do you mean 'has to be' on the internal storage? Do you not get to pick whether a big downloaded game goes on the storage card? :eek:
    Seems a bit harsh as you'd have no choice but to delete it at some stage should another game come along. Anything I've downloaded since putting in the memory card seems to automatically have gone to external storage.

What do you mean 'has to be' on the internal storage? Do you not get to pick whether a big downloaded game goes on the storage card? :eek:
    Seems a bit harsh as you'd have no choice but to delete it at some stage should another game come along. Anything I've downloaded since putting in the memory card seems to automatically have gone to external storage.

If you have an external sd card installed the games will automatically be installed on that instead of internal storage. But save files can only be stored on internal storage as far as I'm aware. NBA 2K18 has a 5gb save file. The game itself is far bigger.

Sligeach's post was saying that NBA 2K18 has as big a save file as the entirety of Super Mario Odyssey, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

If you have an external sd card installed the games will automatically be installed on that instead of internal storage. But save files can only be stored on internal storage as far as I'm aware. NBA 2K18 has a 5gb save file. The game itself is far bigger.

Sligeach's post was saying that NBA 2K18 has as big a save file as the entirety of Super Mario Odyssey, I think.

Oh... wow. Sorry I thought it was the game size. Never imagined a save file that big :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nice write-up by IGN. They've played a few more hours of SMO.

SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY FEELS LIKE IT'S TAKING CUES FROM ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD

• Amazon pre-order costs 39.99 sterling (via prime) currently on the physical copy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just realized this is released on payday. All the better for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi all,
    So I have an eShop voucher worth $35 that was given to me as a present and have been thinking I will use this to get the digital copy of Mario Odyssey when it comes out. Right now my Nintendo account is an EU one with no balance in there. Is there much involved to getting a US account and using the eShop voucher plus whatever extra to get Mario Odyssey from the US shop? I'll just be putting enough with the voucher to buy the digital copy of Odyssey.

Thanks,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    So I have an eShop voucher worth $35 that was given to me as a present and have been thinking I will use this to get the digital copy of Mario Odyssey when it comes out. Right now my Nintendo account is an EU one with no balance in there. Is there much involved to getting a US account and using the eShop voucher plus whatever extra to get Mario Odyssey from the US shop? I'll just be putting enough with the voucher to buy the digital copy of Odyssey.

Thanks,
    M

Got an existing balance eShop?

Yes : changing your region and currency wipes out your existing balance. You can avoid this by creating a second account on the switch and setting the region settings for that one to US. Use that account when you open the eShop to get the US shop. All accounts on the Switch can play the games regardless of who bought them.

No: You can follow the easier "yes" advice, but if like me you're a bit anal about having all your games under one account then go to your account settings and change the region to US. This will break the link between your my Nintendo account and your region locked WiiU/3ds nnid. Don't worry, you can reconnect them later.once you change region and log back into your account on the switch you will get the US shop

Regardless, set up a US accounts and a Japanese one so you can get access to demos early, eg Japan have a Monster Hunter XX demo that's not getting released anywhere else

Banjo wrote: »
    Got an existing balance eShop?

Yes : changing your region and currency wipes out your existing balance. You can avoid this by creating a second account on the switch and setting the region settings for that one to US. Use that account when you open the eShop to get the US shop. All accounts on the Switch can play the games regardless of who bought them.

No: You can follow the easier "yes" advice, but if like me you're a bit anal about having all your games under one account then go to your account settings and change the region to US. This will break the link between your my Nintendo account and your region locked WiiU/3ds nnid. Don't worry, you can reconnect them later.once you change region and log back into your account on the switch you will get the US shop

Regardless, set up a US accounts and a Japanese one so you can get access to demos early, eg Japan have a Monster Hunter XX demo that's not getting released anywhere else

Hello Banjo,
    Thanks for outlining that! I have no existing eShop balance of any description. I'd like to have all my games under one account please and thank you ;-) I have bought ARMS and Splatoon 2 so far under my EU account and Mario Galaxy will be my third purchase. I'm not so bothered about having a Jap account just for early demos to be honest. If I am following you correctly my best route seems to be "then go to your account settings and change the region to US" etc.?

Thanks,
    Mark

I've done both. While I started out in ireland and registered an EU code for the BotW DLC there, currently I "live" in South Africa and have cheap copies of Splatoon 2, Overcooked and Minecraft. My 4 year old daughter lives in America and has a cheap copy of Has Been Heroes from Gamestop. My 6 year old lives in Japan. My 8 year old refuses to let me create a non-Irish account for her because she's a strong independent sulker. So far, no problems with moving accounts or accessing content.

1 thing though, I have not tried to re-link my WiiU and 3DS profiles with my Switch account since doing the move. I have been assured it works flawlessly by someone on these boards, can't remember who, but can't speak to it from experience. And that disrupts your Mii on My.Nintendo! HORROR!

Banjo wrote: »
    I've done both. While I started out in ireland and registered an EU code for the BotW DLC there, currently I "live" in South Africa and have cheap copies of Splatoon 2, Overcooked and Minecraft. My 4 year old daughter lives in America and has a cheap copy of Has Been Heroes from Gamestop. My 6 year old lives in Japan. My 8 year old refuses to let me create a non-Irish account for her because she's a strong independent sulker. So far, no problems with moving accounts or accessing content.

1 thing though, I have not tried to re-link my WiiU and 3DS profiles with my Switch account since doing the move. I have been assured it works flawlessly by someone on these boards, can't remember who, but can't speak to it from experience. And that disrupts your Mii on My.Nintendo! HORROR!

Don't give a monkeys about Mii and My.Nintendo....is that where they give you gold and silver points and then nothing even remotely nice to spend them on!? Oh and those same yokes that expire if you don't use them on crap you don't want or need!? If it stops the emails coming that X and Y are going to expire after a certain date then I'd be happy to be rid of them! :D

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Out of Stock on Symths now for collection and home delivery

Advertisement