Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dylann Roof Sentenced to Death

Options
  • 10-01-2017 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Dylann Roof , a white supremacist has been sentenced to death for the killing of 9 people in a church during a service in Charleston, South Carolina.

Surely even the staunchest opponents against the death penalty must see that this sentence is justified.

I think the death penalty is justified in some circumstance.

Dylann showed no remorse. Admitted, even seems proud of his actions. Doesn't appear to be suffering from any mental conditions. He is 22. What would be the point of spending the rest of his life in prison. One might as well be dead than live a life like that

I don't think the reason he should be executed is just so the rest of us that had nothing to do with the case get some sort of satisfaction that he's being executed. But I do think it would be too much for the victims families to think that he can continue to feel satisfied at what he did, even if he is behind bars.

I think an execution here is good for everyone. It's good for him, it's good for the victims family, it's good for the state who don't have to spend a fortune on his incarceration, and it's good for society to feel safe in the knowledge that such crimes won't be tolerated or treated softly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He's getting what he wants

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I wouldn't ever be for the death penalty, in this case for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they'll make a martyr of him to all those neo-nazi racist scumbags and secondly, I honestly think that death would be a kinder sentence for someone like him than the prospect of life in solitary confinement without the hope of parole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I don't agree with the death penalty on principle. I think it cheapens life to have it taken by the state and results in even more murders etc. However I wouldn't be out marching to save this ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think a lot of the victims families didn't want him to get the death penalty. Roof wants the death penalty. I think that's pretty clear.

In such a case, I'd be inclined to put him in the worst prison for the rest of his life, however long or short that may be once other prisoners know who he is. Let him rot, rather than give him the satisfaction of being put to death, which again, seems to be what he wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

I hope nobody accidentally posts in both Dylann Roof threads.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

Bit harsh really.
    I know he failed to turn up for the nobel prize...... but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I wouldn't ever be for the death penalty, in this case for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they'll make a martyr of him to all those neo-nazi racist scumbags and secondly, I honestly think that death would be a kinder sentence for someone like him than the prospect of life in solitary confinement without the hope of parole.

Well, wouldn't he make just as good of a martyr when he's incarcerated in prison for his beliefs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

good riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I believe they should have pain inflicted on them torture if you will and also be worked to the point they can go no further.

Prison should be a dark soul destroying place not a holiday camp.

R.I.P to the victims.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I think a lot of the victims families didn't want him to get the death penalty. Roof wants the death penalty. I think that's pretty clear.

Any source for that, not that I'm disbelieving you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭28064212

learn_more wrote: »
    Surely even the staunchest opponents against the death penalty must see that this sentence is justified.
    Yeah, I remember all the death penalty opponents saying they're against the death penalty in every situation, unless it's something really, really, really bad. That's where it becomes totally justified, the crime just needs to be bad enough

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I believe they should have pain inflicted on them torture if you will and also be worked to the point they can go no further.

R.I.P to the victims.

I know its an emotive topic but seriously..come on..
    The idea of treating all prisoners with respect and as human beings no matter who or what they've done is an important stepping stone in the advancement of human civilisation, it should never change under any circumstance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

torture

You want to put Roof on the Rack?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

R.I.P to the victims.

You know nothing about the US prison system if you think it's a holiday camp.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

He will hopefully spend the rest of his natural life on death row, federal executions are very rare

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd leave him sit on death row until his 80's. He only wants to be a martyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Life without parole, he is 22 years old lock him up and throw away the key until he is forgotten about, kill him and he is a martyr for his cause.

Jayop wrote: »
    I don't agree with the death penalty on principle. I think it cheapens life to have it taken by the state and results in even more murders etc. However I wouldn't be out marching to save this ****.

What about Sadam Hussein or Osama bin Laden ? Would those executions go against your principles too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

I believe the state shouldn't be able to kill its own citizens.

Cost wise it's been show that the death sentence is more costly, he won't be killed tomorrow but likely 15-20 years time after lots of reviews and costly legal procedures.

If you want retributive justice then he's actually getting off, I'd know I'd attempt to kill myself if I though I would spend decades in prison.

Also, wouldn't it be great after years and years he eventually sees that his neo-Nazi ideology is bull**** and eventually comes to express regret? It won't bring anyone back to life but he's got the rest of his life to think about the consequences of his actions and how flawed his ideology is. He did it to spark a race war - let him live and see how peaceful and egalitarian society becomes over the years.

• Advertisement

Life without parole, he is 22 years old lock him up and throw away the key until he is forgotten about, kill him and he is a martyr for his cause.

Not as simple as that. Think about the cost of feeding,cleaning ,clothing, keeping watch over somebody for 80 or so years, the costs will probably run into the millions. Better off for everyone if he just dies

Can I just say, I don't agree with putting him in the worst prison possible so he can suffer for the rest of his life. I think that's worse than executing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

the yanks don't mess around. only happened 18 months ago and he already senteced to death. he'd still be awaiting trial here

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

He's just misunderstood/bad upbringing/wrong crowd.

Off with his head

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Penn wrote: »

In such a case, I'd be inclined to put him in the worst prison for the rest of his life, however long or short that may be once other prisoners know who he is. Let him rot, rather than give him the satisfaction of being put to death, which again, seems to be what he wanted.

Definitely will be martyred over this.
    He's going to be famous forever now.
    Definitely should be doing hard labour in solitary confinement for 50 years instead, no visitors, no access to cigarettes or sweets or anything like that, no books no TV no internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

I think Dylann Roof has a really cute face.

Absoluvely wrote: »
    I think Dylann Roof has a really cute face.

Sweet suffering Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Inquitus wrote: »
    You know nothing about the US prison system if you think it's a holiday camp.....

True but I was more so talking about here and the UK but aren't they fed and watered. IMO that's too much.

Obviously depending on seriousness of the crime.
    Not paying fine equals torture not good but murder and multiple at that no way they should be looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

It's hard to believe he's not suffering from some mental condition.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

True but I was more so talking about here and the UK but aren't they fed and watered. IMO that's too much.

Obviously depending on seriousness of the crime.
    Not paying fine equals torture not good but murder and multiple at that no way they should be looked after.

Look at all this scum writing this, hope you get sent to gulag as well with him, absolutely disgusting to read.

Advertisement