Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dylann Roof Sentenced to Death

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

learn_more wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about the value of his life per se, I was talking about the social merits of incarcerating him forever vs the death penalty, both from his perspective and societies.

You can say a life in prison, possibly in solitary confinement, forever, is still worth something but I'd disagree at least and say such a life is not as worthwhile as one such as yours or mine.

I don't see how you can square the circle on those two statements. You explicitly are making a value/judgement call on another human being's life. Think about that.
    I can't help but point out that Dylann did weight up who should, and should not, live.

Yes and he was wrong too.

I was near teary eyed reading reports on the shooting, I've been to Charleston and have connections there. The one bit that always got me how he nearly didn't go through with it owing to how nice the people there were, and how they talked to him when he unleashed his hate-filled diatribe. I can't even imagine how horrible the whole thing was when played out. No good will come from his life ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I don't see how you can square the circle on those two statements. You explicitly are making a value/judgement call on another human being's life. Think about that.

Yes and he was wrong too.

I was near teary eyed reading reports on the shooting, I've been to Charleston and have connections there. The one bit that always got me how he nearly didn't go through with it owing to how nice the people there were, and how they talked to him when he unleashed his hate-filled diatribe. I can't even imagine how horrible the whole thing was when played out. No good will come from his life ending.
    You explicitly are making a value/judgement call on another human being's life. Think about that.

I have thought about it and I don't have a problem with a value/judgement call on another human beings life in respect of my own or generally. Yes I think he is much lesser than myself and most people. To argue we're more or less the same in terms of value could only be done if you simply compare on the basis that we are physical human beings that are of the same species, that we are somehow all the same essentially. We are physically all the same but not in brain activity or conscience. I am not taking a superior high ground rather lowering him to a much lesser level.
    No good will come from his life ending.

I'm not sure how you define good in respect of his death but I'm certainly not saying good will come from it. All I am saying is that it is much better to execute him rather than keep him alive in prision for the rest of his life. I don't think any 'good' will come from keeping him in prison either save for the fact he can't murder again. Either way it's not a question of getting 'good' from his punishment, it's a question of dealing with a person who committed mass murder who is happy about what he did. To try and get some meaning out his punishment seems to me to be a complete waste of time and energy and philosophical wrangling.

Advertisement